As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LIVE. WORK. REPEAT.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    So, an idiot wrote a book about worshipping the Zoroastrian equivalent of Satan. A second idiot noticed that the library system had two copies of it, and griped about it. A third idiot decided to publish a news story about the second idiot griping about the first idiot's book. And now I'm going to spend at least a week getting yelled at by church ladies about how my library is a tool of the Devil. Baphomet give me strength.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    How bad is this guy that the students think Jimmy Dean is preferable?

Shit.

JD seems like exactly the kind of person high school students would love. He's a terrible person who makes questionable life choices and is the last person I'd think of as a role model for children.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    What is with my supervisor and constantly losing the memorandums I give to her. It's the signed ones too, not just the initial copies before anyone's put their signature on them. She had me make folders for the past week specifically so she could get organized and it doesn't seem to help.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Tox wrote: »
    Yeah I'd be coming in the next morning looking rough as hell, and when anybody asks "Oh, well, see, I had to work late, and usually that would mean I'd be allowed to come in late to make up for it. But apparently there were complaints *glares around entire work area* that I was getting to come in late for no apparent reason *second glare* So now you're all stuck with me on short sleep. *slam pint-size bottle of 5-hour-energy*

e: rather, back when I was a contractor I'd have done that. Then again, when I was a contractor it was straight hourly so it didn't actually work that way to begin with.

It's funny how amazingly little I care about working "off the clock" now that I'm salary and there isn't even a clock to speak of. I'm just like "yeah that's cool" because in the almost 2 months I've been here it's been less than an hour total, and factoring time off I needed, I actually still technically "owe" time (nobody's counting except me).

people who watch the clock at the beginning of the day but ignore it at the end of the day are annoying

that's not how it works

If I'm salary I'm salary, as long as my work is done the my hours, within reason, don't matter (the actual definition of exempt). Once they start forcing you to come in "early" and and are super concrete on having 0 float or flex time, they start skating a very thing line on the definition of exempt in the US. IE, if they start docking you time for being late, you are no longer salary exempt, so then they have to start paying OT for working OT. The rule is essentially "there are no rules" under FLSA, but, the rule is that during any pay period in which you perform work, you have to be paid your base salary, there's no start/stop time or any rules regarding punching in and out or anything like that. As soon as you are not being paid your base salary, you are no longer exempt by the law.

But that's US only. If you feel like risking your job it's something to try out.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Shit.

I have to assume this other teacher Is The Tall Man From Phantasm

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Because I'm used to a culture of "work as you need to, when you need to , for as long as you need to", when I moved into industry I'd frequently be working till 2am to make deadlines, if we had a crunch. Which my boss knew, and would be very good about SAYING he'd give me time off in lieu, but in fact couldn't get his head around the idea of not working 8-5 weekdays. So he'd throw a tanty if you went at your desk by 8.30 regardless.
    So I never got additional time off - in fact I don't think I used up my normal vacation time for the year even once, AND it didn't roll over or get paid out.

No point to this story, except a) fuck that guy and b) I'm really glad I'm back in an environment where nobody gives a shit.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I have a good relationship with my boss. Which results in relaxed conversations like:

"Hey, I'm gonna leave early today."
    "Why?"
    "It's Iron Fist day, and it's really killing my husband to have to wait until I get home to watch it, so I figured I'd cut him a little break."
    "You know I love your husband, and you're such a good wife to him. It's why we haven't killed you yet."
    "Pffft, it's why you haven't tried to kill me yet."

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    At my work I have a solid rule of I will stay late to get things that I need to get done done within reason. If that means an hour or two on occasion then okay, especially if they're time critical.

What I won't do is stay late every day, which I used to, or come in at weekends unless it's super super time critical.

Honestly after an additional two hours you lose productivity and accuracy, and if I'm checking a million quid transfer I won't be rushed by trying to get home.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah same with my boss, it's kind of a give and take.

He is a PITA sometimes

but other times he's okay

The one time we had a RAID failure that I got an email warning on, I popped in at 2 am and fixed that shit right up and had the backup ready for a restore. But I also rolled in at fucking 10:00am that day.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I have to manage MPLS network activations for one of my projects OOH.

Whilst this happens, I tend to do work (sometimes from 19:00-23:00).

The upside to this is I get ahead.

The downside to this is that currently I'm so far ahead I only have a few hours a day of work

LIKE TODAY

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Because I'm used to a culture of "work as you need to, when you need to , for as long as you need to", when I moved into industry I'd frequently be working till 2am to make deadlines, if we had a crunch. Which my boss knew, and would be very good about SAYING he'd give me time off in lieu, but in fact couldn't get his head around the idea of not working 8-5 weekdays. So he'd throw a tanty if you went at your desk by 8.30 regardless.
    So I never got additional time off - in fact I don't think I used up my normal vacation time for the year even once, AND it didn't roll over or get paid out.

No point to this story, except a) fuck that guy and b) I'm really glad I'm back in an environment where nobody gives a shit.

I always tell my folks I employ them to do a job, not to warm a seat, so the time doesn't matter as long as the job is getting done right. If I notice an issue, I address it with the individual, but generally as long as people update our huddle board with where they'll be, there's no issue. I'd rather have motivated employees that are efficient at getting their jobs done and have excess capacity than clock-watchers/slow-rollers. Making presence a primary metric for productivity is how you get major productivity issues as people are only incented to be present and not to produce.
    Also, it's stunning how much engagement and goodwill you generate by not being a dick about people having to go to doctor/dentist appointments.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'll stay late if I need to. I'll work outside my normal day/time if it's necessary, if I have advanced notice that it's needed. What I will no longer do, is be on-call. I need the peace of mind of knowing that I can leave work at work and relax when I'm at home.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

I always tell my folks I employ them to do a job, not to warm a seat, so the time doesn't matter as long as the job is getting done right. If I notice an issue, I address it with the individual, but generally as long as people update our huddle board with where they'll be, there's no issue. I'd rather have motivated employees that are efficient at getting their jobs done and have excess capacity than clock-watchers/slow-rollers. Making presence a primary metric for productivity is how you get major productivity issues as people are only incented to be present and not to produce.
    Also, it's stunning how much engagement and goodwill you generate by not being a dick about people having to go to doctor/dentist appointments.

This really is the best way to do it I feel, and it's something which is sadly not common enough. Certainly in an office environment like mine, anyway.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    So I have unsubscribed from about a million different things over the last two days that I didn't even realized sent me so many e-mails.

*Because*

Wednesday afternoon I got THE CALL. I got it. But I'm still waiting on THE LETTER that tells me that THE CALL was not a dream. And I'm trying not to think about it as anything other than A CALL and all I am doing is refreshing my e-mail constantly.

Because I cannot ask for my red panda until it is official. And I cannot give notice until it is official. And I cannot get excited until I get The. Damn. Letter.

But every time I get another e-mail and it is not THE LETTER I go a little crazier.

• Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    In Germany there is a legal 11 hour minimum of time off between shifts.

Also a maximal legal amount of works hours (48) during a workweek (mo - sa) with legal maximum of 48 weeks per year. Increases to 60 hours per week, or 10 hours per day, are possible for short periods but total average over the year can't be exceeded.

It is good to have strong unions as a balance to employer interests.

HoA-player on
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I am salary and don't believe in OT, if there is work that isn't done at the end of the day it will still be there tomorrow.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I work from 0800 to 1600 hours. Eight straight, that's what's been defined by the union for my job position. So while I might start on work a little early if I find myself here with a couple minutes to spare, I'm out that door at 1600 and anything left will wait for the next day. I organize my work so I don't have urgent things sitting in my inbox come the weekend unless someone tries to dump it on me with half an hour left to go. At which point I do what I can but if they try to keep me longer than my shift they'll be dealing with my grievance to the union. Their failure to plan is not my emergency.

• Options
    Sassori wrote: »
    So I have unsubscribed from about a million different things over the last two days that I didn't even realized sent me so many e-mails.

*Because*

Wednesday afternoon I got THE CALL. I got it. But I'm still waiting on THE LETTER that tells me that THE CALL was not a dream. And I'm trying not to think about it as anything other than A CALL and all I am doing is refreshing my e-mail constantly.

Because I cannot ask for my red panda until it is official. And I cannot give notice until it is official. And I cannot get excited until I get The. Damn. Letter.

But every time I get another e-mail and it is not THE LETTER I go a little crazier.

Three minutes after submitting this I got another call that I should receive a physical copy of my letter tomorrow.

I think they're watching me.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

*Because*

I'm so happy for you! Glad to see that you weren't affected.

Hopefully it'll be me soon enough.

Do you know where you'll be going?

• Options
    Today I learned that inmates can purchase phylacteries, but only if they're under $300.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

*Because*

Assuming that this is not all a dream and the physical letter confirms the voices that have been speaking to me through my phone I get to stay where I am.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    So they can...turn themselves into a lich? I'm not gonna lie, that sounds like a bad idea from a security standpoint.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

*Because*

Good luck with The Thing

• Options

*Because*

Assuming that this is not all a dream and the physical letter confirms the voices that have been speaking to me through my phone I get to stay where I am.

YESSSS!

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    So they can...turn themselves into a lich? I'm not gonna lie, that sounds like a bad idea from a security standpoint.

Nah, a Liches phylactery has a minimum cost of well over a grand, hence the monetary limit.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Shit.

JD seems like exactly the kind of person high school students would love. He's a terrible person who makes questionable life choices and is the last person I'd think of as a role model for children.

Reminder: middle school kids (so 11-13 year olds).

Also, I am kind of concerned that this goes around to the other staff, because I don't want my requests to suddenly ease on up.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options

With a $300 phylactery it'd be a pretty budget lich. A b-Wait no.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Shit.

Reminder: middle school kids (so 11-13 year olds).

Also, I am kind of concerned that this goes around to the other staff, because I don't want my requests to suddenly ease on up.

That's even more intuitively appropriate. You're the Drop Dead Fred of the pacific northwest.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

With a $300 phylactery it'd be a pretty budget lich. A b-Wait no.

A licget?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Also, that history teacher was at one point kind of an agist asshole torwards me.

During lunch one day I expressed that I had a degree in philosophy. He remarked that he studied philosophy in his undergrad but switched it to history education.

I then asked him what his favorite area or speciality was in philosophy.

And he said,"Oh I don't know. I can't remember that far back. Honestly child, I have forgotten more than you have ever learned in the subject."

I was not pleased afterward.

• Options
    Also, that history teacher was at one point kind of an agist asshole torwards me.

During lunch one day I expressed that I had a degree in philosophy. He remarked that he studied philosophy in his undergrad but switched it to history education.

And he said,"Oh I don't know. I can't remember that far back. Honestly child, I have forgotten more than you have ever learned in the subject."

ahahahaha
    you should have agreed. "Dementia can be tough, I know."

• Options
    "A rich man made poor is still a poor man."

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

*Because*

Thats even better! Bet that eases up stress a bit

• Options

ahahahaha

He's maybe ten years older than me!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Who calls someone "child" except for older, sassy, southern, black ladies?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm the oldest at my workplace by 7 years. I'm'a start calling everybody child.

• Options
    I'm the oldest at my workplace by 7 years. I'm'a start calling everybody child.

You're an older, sassy, southern, black lady so this checks out

• Options

ahahahaha

He's maybe ten years older than me!

that really makes it even more likely he's got genuine cognition problems. Offer to remind him about any medication he might be on, and to take regular wee breaks.

• Options
    Tell him about pain free caths!

• Options
    I AM A SUBSTITUTE TEACHER!

I HAVE TO BE NICE TO THESE PEOPLE OR I STOP GETTING GIGS!

This discussion has been closed.