As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect Andromeda: Pathfinder, I've detected a thread that you can post in

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    The overlap between fans of Zelda and fans of Mass Effect isn't quite as narrow as you might think, either, though it's definitely narrower than some other comparable games

There's overlap anywhere but when the overlap requires completely different systems that's already moving into a specific type of gamer and not the more broad audience.

You are very right, and I do travel in circles that color those impressions very specifically

Still

Zelda is a major contributor to the feverish "best month of games maybe ever" thing that Feb-April (I know) has had going for it, and that larger discourse, that frothing excitement, is one of the things working against Mass Effect in terms of how it's being received

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The overlap between fans of Zelda and fans of Mass Effect isn't quite as narrow as you might think, either, though it's definitely narrower than some other comparable games

There's overlap anywhere but when the overlap requires completely different systems that's already moving into a specific type of gamer and not the more broad audience.

You are very right, and I do travel in circles that color those impressions very specifically

Still

Zelda is a major contributor to the feverish "best month of games maybe ever" thing that Feb-April (I know) has had going for it, and that larger discourse, that frothing excitement, is one of the things working against Mass Effect in terms of how it's being received

Yea. I mean I'm in that same crowd of playing a very vast array of games and this has been the best Quarter of games in a VERY long time for me but even that frothing excitement is within that more specific crowd of people who froth at things like this online. Next up I'm super psyched to be playing Persona 5. So far of the crazy good quarter Andromeda is actually my personal favorite. P5 will most likely take it's place once I get there but that will still leave this in a very close second place.

It's still crazy to me that so far this year I've played Tales of Berseria, RE7, KH 0.2, Nioh, Nier, Zelda and now ME:A with Persona 5 right around the corner and it's still only March. But even with all that so far this is taking the cake for sure.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    This section of the year is perfectly segmented for me

2 and a half weeks to play Zelda, 2 weeks to play Andromeda, and then INFINITE TIME to play Persona 5

Horizon and Nier, unfortunately, get lost in that shuffle

I had a literal single day between finishing Zelda and Andromeda coming out to play some more Horizon

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I had my wife help me coordinate my casual outfit. Spent about 15 minutes getting colors right.

Good game. Would fashion again.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    OK so this is taking a while to download, those of you with PC versions, what's actually available at the 42% "playable" mark? Can I go start making faces or is it "You can load the title screen, at 50% you can open the options menu"

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    The cultural center is hilarious propaganda

I love it

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    OK so this is taking a while to download, those of you with PC versions, what's actually available at the 42% "playable" mark? Can I go start making faces or is it "You can load the title screen, at 50% you can open the options menu"

I think you're good for the first few hours of the game at least. Someone mentioned that the first big open world-y area is where the cutoff is and that takes some time to get to.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

I think you're good for the first few hours of the game at least. Someone mentioned that the first big open world-y area is where the cutoff is and that takes some time to get to.

Excellent, ta! Will be able to get a bit in this evening then hurrah.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    People need to stop leaving Yakuza 0 off the list of awesome 2017 games.

Cause it's as good as any of the others.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

It's funny because I'm actually a Yakuza fan. Been playing them since the first game came out here on PS2. Played each one at release. Except that one. Because I fucking hate prequels. Maybe someday when I have nothing else to play though.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

It'll be my first PS4 purchase I think. I'm not sure if it's for the game itself or for my weird affection that Y4 had a character that looked like SilverWind, but I'ma buy it

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

My feeling has always been that gamers tend to segregate themselves by genre less than in other mediums. There are some who stick to niches, but the majority of people who play one AAA release will at least consider buying another.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I have currently bought...

Yakuza
    Nier
    SRW5
    HZD
    MEA
    P5

I only half finished HZD before I started MEA, still plan on finishing it...and have yet to to even touch the others.

Then...there are like...3 or 4 games I'm interested about in the coming months...and that's barring any big E3 announcements.

I'm like...set for the rest of the year and fall/winter hasn't even hit yet.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    My copy got shipped to my workplace, because when my brother pre-ordered it for me as a very late Christmas Gift I was still in house-hunting limbo. But my doctor gave me the all-clear to go back to work, so I picked it up yesterday. Only got a couple hours with it last night, and spent almost all of that in the character creator. My Bro!Ryder looks like Brett Dalton, and my Sis!Ryder looks like Morena Baccarin, and I'm like "OH NO WHY DID I MAKE THEM BOTH HOT, WHAT IS THIS TORMENT I HAVE MADE FOR MYSELF"

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Holding down a button to interact is slightly annoying to me.

It is, but I kind of get it if their intention was for some things to take longer to interact with than others

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    As far as the contextual cover goes at first I thought it was janky but as I've gotten used to it I vastly prefer it to the button press.

Only complaint is cover with weird angles can be hard to stick to at times.

And while I do miss heavy melee and cover grabs...they were highly situational on most higher difficulties in ME3 so I never used them much anyway.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    First interrupt option, sure as heck not taking that.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    My copy got shipped to my workplace, because when my brother pre-ordered it for me as a very late Christmas Gift I was still in house-hunting limbo. But my doctor gave me the all-clear to go back to work, so I picked it up yesterday. Only got a couple hours with it last night, and spent almost all of that in the character creator. My Bro!Ryder looks like Brett Dalton, and my Sis!Ryder looks like Morena Baccarin, and I'm like "OH NO WHY DID I MAKE THEM BOTH HOT, WHAT IS THIS TORMENT I HAVE MADE FOR MYSELF"

Damn, how hot is your Daddy Ryder?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular

Damn, how hot is your Daddy Ryder?

He had kind of a young Michael Douglas thing going on. Definitely up there on the chart of "most fuckable NPCs" I've encountered so far.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I forget, what was it?

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Finally won a multiplayer mission.

Took me eight attempts, and that was just on bronze. Yeesh.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

I forget, what was it?

I assume it is first meeting Peebee.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

I forget, what was it?

I assume it is first meeting Peebee.

yeah it's
    After Peebee tackles you and is straddling your hips, you have an interrupt option to push her off, or to stay there and continue the conversation on the ground

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I am playing my Ryder as basically Captain Kirk, flirting with every alien possible

it has been going well so far

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    I am playing my Ryder as basically Captain Kirk, flirting with every alien possible

it has been going well so far

That's my plan!

• Options
    So, not sure how to spoiler this... it involves the Asari reporter on the Nexus and romance option stuff?

Also post-Voeld story quest

Yeah
    So I've been flirting with her.

And she implies that like... she can be a side chick?

like that I can romance her and it won't... interfere with whatever I got going on with the Tempest?

So I could still romance Cora and also her?

uh... okay?

let's see if Cora is okay with that... because if so... cool?

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    The cultural center is hilarious propaganda

I love it

I love how krogan history gets boiled down from "widespread global annihilation in a nuclear blast furnace" to "we grew up in a rough neighborhood."

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    PSA: Make sure to do the seismic hammers quest on Eos, even if you already have the planet to 100% viability and are otherwise done doing side-quests there. Also uh... do a hard save before you place the last seismic hammer. Trust me.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    PSA: Make sure to do the seismic hammers quest on Eos, even if you already have the planet to 100% viability and are otherwise done doing side-quests there. Also uh... do a hard save before you place the last seismic hammer. Trust me.

You have to wait a bit to do this right? Tried going to one location and radiation was too high.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

You have to wait a bit to do this right? Tried going to one location and radiation was too high.

yeah go to another planet or the Nexus and come back

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I feel like people are now preferring the me3 cover system just because they got used to it's horrible jankiness. Remember all those times you were trying to run in a straight line and got sucked sideways into a wall? Or the game deciding what you meant wasn't "leave cover" but instead "jump over cover right at them." Or how if you were playing mobile you couldn't afford to stick onto a wall as you're peeking enemies, you had to just stand really near a wall manually use it for cover as you sidestep back and force?

The ME:A Andromeda cover system is totally better. It's just new and we're not conditioned to it yet.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    PeeBee is more charming than I anticipated, after a pretty dumb initial 30 seconds in her introduction.

I'm looking forward to trying to get Ryder to out-impulsive her.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    @Aistan

Didn't you...(Eos Priority Mission spoiler)
    jump in the well first? I think that counts right?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Also, man I'm such a square. I'm trying to RP this and all my answers are professional. :(

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Aistan

Absolutely I did. That's what kicked off this new mission of mine.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I'm gonna need to unlock that Krogan Gladiator stat.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    @Aistan

Uh excuse me
    that is a professional interrupt. I don't have time to sit around chitchatting when there's paths need found.
    This has been another edition of RP Justifications For My Actions.

Related to that bit
    i really appreciated SAM getting pedantic about gravity wells. It was bugging me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I'm still not very fond of Peebee's outfit (for gods sake pb, we're on an ice planet / planet filled with toxic wildlife / planet with no atmosphere, maybe it's time to go for the layered look!)

But as a character she's much better than Sera, and she's definitely not some lol so quirky manic pixie dream girl outside of her first scene

Haven't finished her storyline yet so guessing at some stuff still, but spoilery stuff:
    In chatter Liam doesn't really trust her, he doesn't think she's really part of the team. And Peebee initially thinks that's sort of funny, but then she gets resentful that he thinks she can't be trusted. She keeps insisting that she's not really one of you guys in her conversations, yet when someone else thinks of her that way it plainly kind of hurts her feelings.

Peebee had some sort of bad breakup with her girlfriend after coming all the way to Andromeda, and she was also around for some of the rebellion and was freaked out by that. So she got the hell away from the Nexus and headed off to Eos to explore some ruins. And here chatter there still shows that she actually did care quite a bit about the lost colonies there - and also that she resents the people who left, because she chose to stay around.

Like, PB's not exploring ruins alone because she's naturally flighty and fancy free, she's exploring ruins because she can't deal with people and exploring is a way of not having to deal with her worries. Every time you pull into a new port Peebee won't be in a bar having fun, she'll be off in a corner somewhere without people. Crewmates invite her to hang out at the Nexus and she rainchecks everyone. She hates Lexi because Lexi keeps trying to get Peebee to open up emotionally, and Peebee doesn't think she really cares. And when you're doing her romance, she invites you to fool around, no strings attached. If you turn her down because you're actually interested in attaching some strings, she's kind of taken aback. Ryder and her had been flirting constantly and overtly, but she still assumed Ryder didn't really mean it.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    maybe she's shielding her midriff with biotics!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    @Aistan

Uh excuse me
    that is a professional interrupt. I don't have time to sit around chitchatting when there's paths need found.
    This has been another edition of RP Justifications For My Actions.

Related to that bit
    i really appreciated SAM getting pedantic about gravity wells. It was bugging me.
    He also corrects grammar quite a bit.

SAM's kind of a snob

This discussion has been closed.