As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect Andromeda: Pathfinder, I've detected a thread that you can post in

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    I, for one, am keenly interested in how a planet with a surface temperature of -80 Celsius supports oceans of liquid nitrogen.

Every Mass Effect game is goofy as fuck about this

"This planet has vast lakes of liquid barium"

no, not at that atmospheric pressure and temperature it fucking doesn't

go back to community college, whoever wrote that description

like look this shit can be super difficult, people go to university to learn astrophysics

but at the same time... maybe don't get that grokky with the details either?

like that's the thing, if you're gonna have hand-wavey space magic, then commit

I don't bust Star Wars' balls all like "UMMMMMMMM THAT'S NOT VERY REALISTIC"

but Mass Effect tells me that I will go into anaphylaxis if I ingest Turian semen because it has the wrong amino acid chirality for my biology

so like, if you're gonna make "firm" sci-fi, that sweet spot between hard sci-fi and soft sci-fi, then commit

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Anyone else get irked that the enemy names/health bars seem like they're always in the same spot, regardless of the size of the enemy?

Like, there are animals and enemies that are small, but their names and healthbars are in the same spot as a regular sized thing, so there's a lot of dead space between the health bars and where you can actually shoot a thing. Makes it kind of annoying when you're trying to hit something at medium/long range

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Javen wrote: »
    Anyone else get irked that the enemy names/health bars seem like they're always in the same spot, regardless of the size of the enemy?

Like, there are animals and enemies that are small, but their names and healthbars are in the same spot as a regular sized thing, so there's a lot of dead space between the health bars and where you can actually shoot a thing. Makes it kind of annoying when you're trying to hit something at medium/long range

yes, this is very obnoxious if you're sniping

and really annoying if you're a Vanguard trying to charge shit at long range

Pony on
  • Options
    The planet descriptions in general are super lazy this time around

Which I guess makes a certain amount of sense since we know next to nothing about most of these planets, but I miss running into a planet that was like 'This otherwise unremarkable rock of iron and zinc is notable due to a large message burned into its crust by some kind of orbital beam device. After decades of translation by the galaxies most famous linguists, the message was eventually discovered to read 'LANDRELOS SUCKS DICKS''

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Liam's loyalty mission is hilarious
    Evil Pirate Captain keeps trying to give a villain monologue

Ryder and Liam are busy arguing and don't give a shit

Every time he comes on the comms his evil villain music starts to swell and then Ryder or Liam smash the off-switch and go back to arguing

edit: and now
    the ship got hit and fucked up the gravity field, instead of gravity being down it's sideways. So we're fighting through sideways corridors and it's very disorienting and fun

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    A neat thing regarding the Angara I really like

(Spoilers for up to meeting Jaal and the Angara)
    Their race are basically a post-apocalyptic alien invasion story

Like they were a starfaring space empire who hadn't encountered other aliens, and then the Kett showed up and fucking wrecked their shit

Now they're a ragtag resistance

Like if you replaced the Angara with humans, they'd be the protagonists of a completely different sci-fi story

then suddenly a multi-racial coalition from another galaxy show up and are like

yo sup we're here to help?

• Options
    I originally considered it a weakness in the writing that it gave me options to start romancing people so early in the game, and that I didn't really want to, since I didn't know any of them enough to really feel strongly about it one way or another

Then I thought...that seems like a good thing? I just met these people, and don't know much about them. Of course I don't want to jump their bones immediately!

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Pony wrote: »
    but Mass Effect tells me that I will go into anaphylaxis if I ingest Turian semen because it has the wrong amino acid chirality for my biology

Oh, the chirality thing like it is presented in the game is also bad science, just as the entangled particle pairs the Illusive Man uses to communicate

You can't use entanglement to communicate information to another observer

Platy on
  • Options
    I'm also wondering if something will ever come of
    The fact that all of our long range scans of Andromeda came from Geth sensors of all things, who were apparently very interested in the Andromeda galaxy, but we never really figured out why

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I originally considered it a weakness in the writing that it gave me options to start romancing people so early in the game, and that I didn't really want to, since I didn't know any of them enough to really feel strongly about it one way or another

Then I thought...that seems like a good thing? I just met these people, and don't know much about them. Of course I don't want to jump their bones immediately!

also those first initial "romance options" are just like

flirting?

like the first "Heart" dialogue choice with Vetra is just like

...so hey uh... you uh... seeing anyone?

like it's kind of hint hint but it's not like ME2 where FemShep sits up on the table and shows Jacob the goods

Pony on
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    It sounds like the kind of stuff I would insert in to board meetings at my old job when I was asked for IT updates. I'd try to always insert one goofy sci fi thing in and see if they'd A) notice and B) call me out on it. Flux capacitor was generally a fun one.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    So I crafted my first thing. A
    Black Widow II with +20% damage modifier if I have full health and shields.

The head shot sound is.. Pretty intense

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Oh, the chirality thing like it is presented in the game is also bad science, just as the entangled particle pairs the Illusive Man uses to communicate

oh god yeah the whole QEC thing is dumb as fuck I try to ignore it because they just like

needed a way to have FTL communication because otherwise a bunch of setting stuff didn't work

so they went junkscience junkscience JAZZ HANDS and fine

you know what fine fine

as long as it is portrayed consistently fine

that isn't how quantum entanglement works but fine, you at least bullshitted that for a narrative reason

when science is mangled for no reason beyond the writer didn't know any better, that's when I get annoyed, because that's just laziness, rather than a narrative need

• Options

maybe you can't

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I crafted a Disciple with the grenade augment and was devastated with how little damage it actually did, even on direct hits and how the splash damage was negligible.

The best augment for crafting is the one that lets you put 4 mods in a gun, that thing is fucking OP as hell.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I crafted a Disciple with the grenade augment and was devastated with how little damage it actually did, even on direct hits and how the splash damage was negligible.

The best augment for crafting is the one that lets you put 4 mods in a gun, that thing is fucking OP as hell.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by my first craft. The Kett didn't even know what hit them, and I only had one point in sniper rifles at that moment.. Looking forward to many more.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    I crafted a full suit of armor, with custom researched augments in each piece (except the helmet), and it's RUDE

the chest piece has an augment that gives me +25% shields on kill
    the legs add electrical damage to my ground-pound
    the arms give me a boost to biotic power damage when hovering (and since my favorite attack is mid-air biotic charge, this is pretty significant!)

the pieces also have some other augs in them, like +15% biotic recharge on the chest and shit

this is on top of what the armor normally does

crafted gear is the tits

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Only problem I have with crafting is I have more mod slots than actual mods atm.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm also wondering if something will ever come of
    The fact that all of our long range scans of Andromeda came from Geth sensors of all things, who were apparently very interested in the Andromeda galaxy, but we never really figured out why

See I thought this was,
    The Geth searching the space between galaxies for Reapers and just happened to collect data on Andromeda because it was in the scope of the search area.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Eos:
    Has anyone managed to get the hidden cache sitting on top of the rock pillar?

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    So I researched and crafted the sidewinder because revolvers are my jam in basically every game and this thing is great. It's way more accurate than it says it is and does tons of damage.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Oooh, a cool little touch regarding that secret tech skill
    as far as I can tell, if you don't have the skill equipped the drone will just sit in Peebee's room

But if you have it equipped, it'll follow you around the ship like a pet, it's adorable

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Is the game just crashing to desktop when trying to play multiplayer for anyone else?

The game keeps dying in wave 1 or 2 for me. Single player works fine.

• Options
    So I was replaying Mass Effect 2 recently, and I noticed a big contradiction when talking to the council.

When talking about how they swept the whole Reaper issue under the rug, they explained it away by arguing two things simultaneously

A) That Saren used the myth of the Reapers to basically con the Geth into following him

B) That Sovereign was just a really advanced Geth dreadnaught, so the Reapers weren't a real thing.

How the hell could the Geth build the thing that Saren then used to convince them of a race of robot gods?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Maybe that saren convinced them the reapers were real and that sovereign was a geth ship built in what saren described was the reapers' likeness.

The council, though technically each were answerable to the leaders of each respective race, really didn't seem accountable to anyone.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    "Pathfinder, over here"

Wait a second, person I've never met before. I'm just going to read your private mail before we talk for the first time

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I like female Ryder a lot.
    She's a science nerd. So when you ask Jaal about the biology of his race and he dismisses it like 'what does it matter? How do your weird human eyeballs work?' And then you actually explain how they work, it's a pretty nice detail. I'm glad they went the DA2 route and actually fleshed out the playable character some without making them a total blank slate

Jaal actually responds to most questions with 'you know, you could just look it up instead of asking me'

Javen on
  • Options
    Blurgh, there are apparently quite a few unmarked tasks on each world.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Aaaaaaand the first person I hit on isn't available. Not for me, at least.

Sara was pretty adorably dorky with the rejection though, so that was worth it.

*heavy sigh*

Gonna be single in Andromeda forever.

• Options
    Sometimes the dialogue is pretty good in this game. Talking with Gil about The Nexus:
    Sara asks "What was your take on that?"

His response, "well I didn't bet on a side if that's what you're asking. I don't think anyone made out particularly well in that situation."

Linguistic nuance! Mmmm that's the good stuff.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to decide on a romance option.

I figured Cora would immediately be placed into the Ashley Bin, but then she started talking about Asari commando training and krogan strangling, so...

Vetra is very cool and good, but I'm not super comfortable with her talking about conning people and taking shit that does not belong to her.

And Peebee has turned out to be way more charming than I thought she would be, but I don't know if that'll last past Eos.

Conclusion; somebody put Tali on an ark. Do it. Put Tali on an ark and send it to Andromeda.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    I love this series. I haven't bought this game yet, thinking of doing so. Couple of questions:

Compared to previous Mass Effects, how does the writing stack up? Are there funny and genuinely emotional moments?
    Does Multiplayer work in Australia? Some EA games in the past tend to have no Aus server which leads to a standard 200+ ping and unable to play the multiplayer segment.

Fantastic
  • Options
    If I don't flirt with someone in that first conversation with them am I forever locked out of potential boning down the line?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Man I like all the wacked out science in the ME games. I don't care if nitrogen can't really be liquid on X random planet or quantum entanglement doesn't work like that. It's a space-based fantasy game. I don't give a shit in Skyrim for its rats being unrealistically large either.

edit: I see a lot of talk about crafting. Someone please tell me the crafting is more interesting and useful than in DA:I?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Man I like all the wacked out science in the ME games. I don't care if nitrogen can't really be liquid on X random planet or quantum entanglement doesn't work like that. It's a space-based fantasy game. I don't give a shit in Skyrim for its rats being unrealistically large either.

edit: I see a lot of talk about crafting. Someone please tell me the crafting is more interesting and useful than in DA:I?

While you still craft your weapons and armor, it is a lot more straightforward.

And a lot more important, because the Avenger suuuuuucks.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Crafting has a few key differences that make it substantially better than DAI.

1. Your crafted items are locked by level so you can't wear end-game stuff until you're at the end game.

2. Crafting items requires resources that you have to collect but there aren't three fucking tiers of resources with different effects that you have to fucking balance during the crafting process, it's just a set list per item.

3. Augmentation can put real cool twists on your gear AND you get them back when you scrap them to do the upgrade.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    they should make it so that there are wrong times to flirt

like if you hit the flirt button while they're dealing with a minor tragedy you're locked out of all future flirt buttosn

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

There's two parts to crafting: Research and Development.
    Research is where you create the blueprints for the things you can build. Guns, armor, Nomad upgrades, and Augments, which you use in Development to customize the gear you craft. You spend Research Data, which is what you earn as you scan stuff with your scanner, to buy the blueprints. There are three categories of blueprints (Milky Way, Alien, and Heleus) which each require their own Research Data type, which you earn by scanning objects/NPCs/etc. of that type (for example, scanning Kett enemies gives you Heleus data, while scanning an Initiative truck gives you Milky Way data). Once you research a blueprint, you can build it in Development, and you can also research upgraded blueprints for the items as well which create stronger gear. Augments are a bit different, once you research an Augment you get 1 copy of that augment, and no more. Instead, to earn more of that augment, you can now find that as a loot drop in the world.
    Development is the actual crafting bit. Pick the blueprint, and if you have the proper materials (which you get from mining, looting enemies, chests, vendors, etc.) you can just build the item. Most items also have Augment slots, which is where you use one or more of the Augments you've researched or found to add permanent bonuses or functionality changes to the item you craft, like giving additional fire damage to your slam melee attacks, or changing a shotgun into a cluster grenade launcher, or giving your helmet a bonus to shield regen.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Every time I try to do an APEX mission myself I get disco'd from origin?

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Spoilers for the First Murderer questline.
    Cool, Tann, thanks for forcing me to decide whether means and intent are the same as actually committing murder.

Kandros told me after that the murderer's wife left with him and that they could look forward to a hard life out in Andromeda. Cool. Great. Awesome.

Still, I did like how that questline panned out. Even if there wasn't an easy answer at the end of it.

[IMG][/img]
This discussion has been closed.