As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect Andromeda: Pathfinder, I've detected a thread that you can post in

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Its me, I'm the weirdo who liked ME2's planet scanning.

I kinda like the idea behind the galaxy map transitions. What kills them for me is the second-long delay before and after the transitions start. A "hold button to skip" would also help.

I too would like a button to skip loading screens

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My biggest problem with the new galaxy map is that sometimes you fly through asteroids or moons.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Not sure what they need to load for planets you're not landing on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    So, if I research certain guns, does that unlock more guns to research?

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I'm gonna be honest here, I'm not entirely clear why people keep comparing Andromeda to Witcher 3 or Inquisition.

Is it just a general RPG comparison thing, or is there some deeper intent behind that? Because it's kind of weird that most of the feedback I'm seeing about this game is being referenced back to two other games.

Inquisition is the direct predecessor to this game and features a lot of the systems that were added into Andromeda

The Witcher 3 was an outside company stepping into the exact space this game (and in fact most Bioware games) occupy and outperforming it on nearly every level

I can only say so much because I haven't played Inquisition or Witcher 3, but I feel like comparing Andromeda to the other two is a bit unfair, if only because it seems like the themes and the gameplay between a hard sci-fi game and two high fantasy games wouldn't have a ton of overlap. Expecting Andromeda to step onto the field and do what those games did except better seems like you're setting yourself up for disappointment, because you're expecting something completely different from what you're probably gonna get

But, again, I haven't played Inquisition or the Witcher, and I also seem to like this game more than a lot of other people do, so maybe I'm just being weird. Assuming I'm not flat-out wrong.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    I'm gonna be honest here, I'm not entirely clear why people keep comparing Andromeda to Witcher 3 or Inquisition.

Is it just a general RPG comparison thing, or is there some deeper intent behind that? Because it's kind of weird that most of the feedback I'm seeing about this game is being referenced back to two other games.

It's a large open world RPG with a wide number of sidequests and things to do, just like W3 and DAI.

The connections run deeper than that. The first Witcher game used a modified engine licensed from Bioware. The second is 100 percent a clone of the type of games Bioware was making at the time. The third is just the moment the student surpassed the master.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Not sure what they need to load for planets you're not landing on.

The font has 4K textures per letter.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Just played through a few rounds of multi with @Grey Ghost and @Cello

We learned fishdogs love the taste of turian meat

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Inquisition is the direct predecessor to this game and features a lot of the systems that were added into Andromeda

The Witcher 3 was an outside company stepping into the exact space this game (and in fact most Bioware games) occupy and outperforming it on nearly every level

I can only say so much because I haven't played Inquisition or Witcher 3, but I feel like comparing Andromeda to the other two is a bit unfair, if only because it seems like the themes and the gameplay between a hard sci-fi game and two high fantasy games wouldn't have a ton of overlap. Expecting Andromeda to step onto the field and do what those games did except better seems like you're setting yourself up for disappointment, because you're expecting something completely different from what you're probably gonna get

But, again, I haven't played Inquisition or the Witcher, and I also seem to like this game more than a lot of other people do, so maybe I'm just being weird. Assuming I'm not flat-out wrong.

Witcher 3 raised the bar an insane amount on open world side quest design, where even a mundane task would end up becoming a fully fleshed out, interesting story. From what I've read about MEA it has decent to very good main quest stuff but the side quest stuff is a lot of filler. This doesn't have anything to do with the setting/genre and has everything to do with what you're actually doing during that side content. If witcher had you go collect bear asses, you'd have a good reason to, and it would put a twist on the collection of said bear asses about halfway through.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Jesus, I forgot about the multiplayer

There's a lot to do here

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Witcher 3 raised the bar an insane amount on open world side quest design, where even a mundane task would end up becoming a fully fleshed out, interesting story. From what I've read about MEA it has decent to very good main quest stuff but the side quest stuff is a lot of filler. This doesn't have anything to do with the setting/genre and has everything to do with what you're actually doing during that side content. If witcher had you go collect bear asses, you'd have a good reason to, and it would put a twist on the collection of said bear asses about halfway through.

I still consider Witcher 3 one of the best games of all time.

But Andromeda's had some surprisingly solid side missions that start out sounding like busy work.

They lack the poignancy that so many of Witcher 3's quests had, but they ain't bad

(and MUCH MUCH better than in DA:I)

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Alright, played a little multiplayer

Yeah, that's the good stuff, that's what I remember

I could very much be down for this being a regular after-work thing for me

It would be the first mutliplayer game I put any time into on PS4! And I've had one since they came out!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm starting to get into a groove with the single player stuff now. I'm still not likely to spend a bunch of time crafting, but it's relatively painless, at least. And I like all of the people on the ship, pretty much, I think Peebee and Drack are my early favorites, with Jaal right behind them. I didn't expect to like Peebee this much. I mean...I saw the complaints about her before I picked up the game and I had a feeling I'd like her more than...some of you, but I genuinely don't get why people were so down on her, aside from the standard "asari suck" thing

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Peebee, no real spoilers, all stuff you can pick up in basically your first conversation on the Tempest
    her Codex entry says that Nexus records still have her as being frozen, so for a second I was hoping she was some con artist running around posing as the real Peebee
    Turns out her friend just cracked her pod early
    Oh well

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I'm definitely enjoying this game the more I play it. The scope is... significant.

• Options
    I'm cool with Bioware going for more wide scope games, as they appear to be settling into with this and DAI, but man I would love it if they released, like, a focused ME2 style standalone story thing. Like just the tale of one colony in Heleus or something. 20-30 bucks for 10-20 hours of shit.

Never gonna happen, but I would dig it a bunch.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Honestly for me Peebee has been one of the more fleshed out, interesting characters. She's got some issues, without being defined by them

Also Peebee and Drax had a conversation that was great:
    Drax: What's up with the smudge on your face? Are you trying to be some kind of superhero?
    PB: What's up with the bones? Are you trying to be some kind of supervillain?
    Drax: Yes.
    PB: Coooool.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Witcher 3: what if, instead of party members, you had a termagant of an ex-wife and a daughter who is present for all of 10 minutes of the first 30 hours of gameplay?

Witcher 3 has better writing without question, but it's not what I play Bioware games for (roleplay a badass lady or black dude and hang with imaginary buddies).

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Ahahahahaha I got drunk messaged from the researchers on EOS via a Forward Station.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Is there a way to see what the next level of Profile powers will be?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Is there a way to see what the next level of Profile powers will be?

it's generally just the same as what they already are but bigger numbers

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I love how PB will not stop giving Cora shit about being an Asari Weeabo

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    So what do Apex missions do

I know they're supposed to give me special rewards, but so far it's just been the standard kind of reward, unless I've just completely missed something

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

PB's right too

Cora is a total asariboo, she is pretty much the girl who spent five years living in Japan with the JET program and is now annoying as shit about it

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I caved and bought the game so lets see if I bother finishing it unlike 2

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

PB's right too

Cora is a total asariboo, she is pretty much the girl who spent five years living in Japan with the JET program and is now annoying as shit about it

Well..
    not totally. Aren't her biotics insanely strong? She's not just talk and adoration

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well I caved and bought the game so lets see if I bother finishing it unlike 2

I would argue that Mass Effect 2 was the best one

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Like in all Mass Effects, I wish my ship would not exit atmosphere whenever I get in it. Sometimes I just want to change the color of my armor quick, we don't need to do a full orbital takeoff sequence guys! That has to be bad on fuel consumption.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I'm having an issue with an objective point: it's on Eos, just south of Site 2 in the plain. It doesn't seem tied to any quest, and the point leads to a spot of open ground next to a rock formation. But when Ryder got out of the Nomad she said something like "There it is" but there's nothing to see...anyone have ideas? I tried closing the game and reopening but it didn't change. I can highlight the point in the map and no information comes up about it.

• Options
    I have a quest to talk to
    Vetra's sister on the Nexus, but I somehow bugged it and now the quest always just stays up there "talk to vetra's" sister, but when I want to talk to her, she only says hello, nothing else. Do I need to talk to her to get Vetra's loyalty quest?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    I'm having an issue with an objective point: it's on Eos, just south of Site 2 in the plain. It doesn't seem tied to any quest, and the point leads to a spot of open ground next to a rock formation. But when Ryder got out of the Nomad she said something like "There it is" but there's nothing to see...anyone have ideas? I tried closing the game and reopening but it didn't change. I can highlight the point in the map and no information comes up about it.

Have you
    picked up a quest about a murder on the Nexus

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So I did a thing that doesn't seem very popular (Voehl spoilers, post Kett-base)
    Once you destroy the Kett base, the shield around the dig site gets removed. If you go in all the way, you find a functioning AI that's been around since pre-Scourge. The Agarian's want to take it and make it tell them stuff about the planet from before (since apparently most of their history was lost during their fight with the Kett) but the AI doesn't want to go. I instead agree to put it in the Nexus in SAM node where he can keep an eye on them. No one really approves of this except for SAM; the Nexus hates it because it's an AI and it pisses off the Agarians, and the Agarian's don't like it because they see it as their property, even though the AI keeps saying that it doesn't know the information they want, and doesn't owe them anything.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

PB's right too

Well..
    not totally. Aren't her biotics insanely strong? She's not just talk and adoration

Pffft. Mine are stronger.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Tried a bit of multiplayer last night, not a huge fan of how Infiltrators play in this game? It seems like there's a real lack of good sniping perches on most of the maps. Might help if the Lanat wasn't the only decent rifle that I have at my disposal.

Also; randos are bad at objectives and it is very frustrating. Especially on extraction waves.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options

I know they're supposed to give me special rewards, but so far it's just been the standard kind of reward, unless I've just completely missed something

They give extra mission funds and i think slightly better reward boxes for the SP side. Also 10% extra credits and xp. You can only get the mission funds and crates once. Not sure about the bonus expers and money.

And mission funds are nice because you can buy equipment from the store, like the juggernaut shield that's up now. The only other source of MF is sending your strike teams out.

Speaking of apex missions, wasn't there supposed to be a fancy new one up for the krogan thing? I saw it advertised as the first multiplayer apex mission, but they've all been, so I'm not sure what that's about.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

They give extra mission funds and i think slightly better reward boxes for the SP side. Also 10% extra credits and xp. You can only get the mission funds and crates once. Not sure about the bonus expers and money.

And mission funds are nice because you can buy equipment from the store, like the juggernaut shield that's up now. The only other source of MF is sending your strike teams out.

Speaking of apex missions, wasn't there supposed to be a fancy new one up for the krogan thing? I saw it advertised as the first multiplayer apex mission, but they've all been, so I'm not sure what that's about.

I've played the mission map (Paradox) a few times, I can't tell if I'm supposed to do something beyond Murder All Kett.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I really wish people would stop choosing Kett on purpose in MP, they are bastards with lower level gear.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    I really wish people would stop choosing Kett on purpose in MP, they are bastards with lower level gear.

I went into a mission against Kett with my Krogan Vanguard.

Bad idea.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Yeah Kett are real fuckers. The Outlaws aren't very hard at all and the Remnant are, like, tough but doable for the most part.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    My crew has only managed a Kett extraction like twice, and I'm not sure either was a full extraction.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.