As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Holy crap, there's a new Dawn of War Expansion (WH40K)

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just got DoW:DC recently. I spent almost all of Sunday playing the campaign. I love the combination of risk and RTS. However, after the last year of playing only Company of Heroes, the UI feels clumsy and dated. That is my only complaint, though. I don't doubt I'll pick up this new expansion simply because of the expanded "Risk" campaign but I really hope the UI gets smoothed out.

Accualt on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man I loved the campaign narrator. He hit the over the top note just right.

captaink on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can't stop myself from playing as the Imperial Guard. There is just something about playing as an average joe against freakish aliens, monsters, merciless robots, and genetically engineered super soldiers that I find awesome.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Considering its being primarily developed by a studio that isn't Relic, the only reason I would find that acceptable is if Relic themselves are too busy making Homeworld 3 to do the third DoW expansion themselves, and its being made just to tide people over till Homeworld 3 comes out with crazy awesome Giant ships being cut apart by ion cannon action. If this isn't the case, I will be highly disappointed. I need me some Homeworld 3.

Quick little fix there.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Considering its being primarily developed by a studio that isn't Relic, the only reason I would find that acceptable is if Relic themselves are too busy making Homeworld 3 to do the third DoW expansion themselves, and its being made just to tide people over till Homeworld 3 comes out with crazy awesome Giant ships being cut apart by ion cannon action. If this isn't the case, I will be highly disappointed. I need me some Homeworld 3.

Quick little fix there.

You know, I never was a huge fan of Homeworld, but THQ did acquire the rights to it from Sierra, so its possible they are working on one anyways. But come on, Dawn of War 2... We need one. Its more important then Homeworld 3.

And I'm probably the only person that would like to see them make an Impossible Creatures 2 at some point.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    And I'm probably the only person that would like to see them make an Impossible Creatures 2 at some point.

Great concept but oh god was that game terrible.

Accualt on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Homeworld 3 is more exciting to me than DOW2. Especially as DOW2 would have to basically be Company of Heroes: 40,000 for it to be worth anything. COH didnt make DOW obsolete, but it did highlight some major flaws in that game and some nigh primitive design elements.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    captaink wrote: »
    Man I loved the campaign narrator. He hit the over the top note just right.
    Oh god yes. There were more than a few times that I waited until the end of the narration even though the level was completely loaded and I had already heard it several times before. Great, now I have to reinstall DoW.

Also, I too was excited as hell for IC, but now I think we should all forget it ever happened.

Bama on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, on one hand I want more Dawn of War... on the other the game isn't being made by Relic, the engine is getting dated, and it sounds like it's just adding for the sake of adding (air units? other than bombing run style support I just can't see it). This thing needs a sequel quickly.

Also bring back the Chaos sorcerer with Sindri's voice. It should be illegal to even dare to change that.
    Bama wrote: »
    Also, I too was excited as hell for IC, but now I think we should all forget it ever happened.

Well, it lives on, through this (DoW's) engine.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Here is a mod everyone should have for DoW, Camera Zoom.

Axen on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love to play RTS games. But I suck horribly at them. DoW is weird though, I can utterly spank medium. But anything over that I get my ass handed to me.

And god, dont get me start on playing a actual human.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I didn't really care for the campaign narrator. He had the over-the-top voice down, but after a few missions it was annoying instead of cool.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The air units have me worried too, were they present in the tabletop game? Maybe this'll make anti-armor infantry more useful, since it seems more likely that a missile launcher would take down a jet rather than a predator blast one out of the sky.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    arcath wrote: »
    I love to play RTS games. But I suck horribly at them. DoW is weird though, I can utterly spank medium. But anything over that I get my ass handed to me.

And god, dont get me start on playing a actual human.
    I forget the build order specifics, but if you rush a cap point directly next to the AI base at the start of a skirmish with your first non-scout infantry squad (Space Marines, Shoota Boyz, etc.) and set up a forward base of operations there (really nice with orks since any building provides fire support) you can defeat any difficulty level pretty easily. Your second squad of fighters should complete about the time things are heating up at the point, and you should be able to keep the AI holed up in their base until you can get a wrecking crew assembled. Chaos AI especially has a habit of teching up and popping out a predator if you don't cripple them quickly enough, so don't just sit back once you've established the siege.

Bama on
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Bama wrote: »
    The air units have me worried too, were they present in the tabletop game? Maybe this'll make anti-armor infantry more useful, since it seems more likely that a missile launcher would take down a jet rather than a predator blast one out of the sky.

Missle troops are great. Nothing like them for locking a hero unit out of combat. Just keep on knocking it back and it can't do a blessed thing. Sure you won't _kill_ it that way, but you can't neutralize it while you bash the rest of your opponents army. Then focus fire on the hero.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As much as I wanted an Ordo Malleus army on the list I must say that I'm impressed by the look of the Hereticus army.

I'd have loved to see a story based campaign rather than the Risk style one they introduced with DC but you can't have everything, I suppose.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Dawn of War 2... We need one. Its more important then Homeworld 3.

You shut your filthy fucking mouth.

You bastards have gotten TWO expansion packs, both of which were pretty awesome, and a third that could be awesomer.

Homeworld got an unofficial "sequel", and a rushed sequel with a rushed patch. Hell, Relic used their own free time to make an unofficial patch for Homeworld 2.

THQ doesn't seem to be in the business of rushing their developers, so I'd like to see what Relic could do with Homeworld when they aren't rushed.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I may be somewhat good at this game.

Reports are varied.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Reports are varied.

O_o

Yeah, varied... that's the ticket. Stupid greenskins. Or whatever else it is that you are playing that rapes my poor Space Marines.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Reports are varied.

Post the replay where you take on 3 people and win on your own.

Or was that Goomba.

Either way it was hilarious.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That was indeed Goomba. I'm surprised he hasn't posted it himself yet, it's normally on the first page in any new DoW thread.

Edit: (Because he likes to boast, not because it warrants being there.)

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Goomba got infracted too many times.

He's currently taking a vacation.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    OK, I haven't hopped on the Dawn of War train yet, but I figure 3 expansions is enough for me to say ok, I'll bite. But will they be selling them all in one Battlechest like box? Note, I don't buy online, so Steam is out.

Error on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Error wrote: »
    OK, I haven't hopped on the Dawn of War train yet, but I figure 3 expansions is enough for me to say ok, I'll bite. But will they be selling them all in one Battlechest like box? Note, I don't buy online, so Steam is out.

Probably after the initial release.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Probably not at first. But you can pick up the Platinum version (Contains the original game and first 2 expansions) for 20-30 bucks. Then the expansion when it comes out. Or you can wait for them to package all of them together in a few months.

Also, talking of DoW, any suggestions vs Tau when playing Necrons in the campaign? I've pushed them back to their stronghold, but those damned snipers hammer me when I try to move my men forward, which causes my warriors to stop and stare around trying to figure out how air is shooting plasma at them.

None of the other factions gave me this much grief.

see317 on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    see317 wrote: »
    Probably not at first. But you can pick up the Platinum version (Contains the original game and first 2 expansions) for 20-30 bucks. Then the expansion when it comes out. Or you can wait for them to package all of them together in a few months.

Also, talking of DoW, any suggestions vs Tau when playing Necrons in the campaign? I've pushed them back to their stronghold, but those damned snipers hammer me when I try to move my men forward, which causes my warriors to stop and stare around trying to figure out how air is shooting plasma at them.

Hmm, what about a monolith? Maybe a bit late in the game, but it really should cover things well.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    canemaquiluscanemaquilus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Reports are varied.

This is also true for me.

Sup DOA. Sup Puck.

Sup.

Chimerarush45manzinurbaselol

You sure you mean Tau? I mean... theres stealth suits, but I woudnt qualify them as snipers per say.

Just bring up a detector unit (Wraiths, Scarabs, Upgraded necron lord) and watch them evaporate. Or ground attack with the upgraded monolith.

About soulstorm:

I am excited.

Anyone whos like "Goth elves lame", no you faggot. The Dark Eldar are Pirates who live in space and eat souls for nourishment.
    If theres something cooler than soul eating space pirates I dont want to hear about it.

canemaquilus on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Speaking of Necrons, whats the best way to take them out? I normally play as IG, but am open to any tactics with other races vs Necron.

Axen on
  • Options
    canemaquiluscanemaquilus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Speaking as our resident IG dude, grenade launchers and good micro. The knockdown is great against the necron warriors, and it has the long range to let you stay out of their range. As soon as the necron warriors get close, just run away then turn and fire some more.

This works even better when you get priests attached to the squads, as they boost runspeed and damage.

canemaquilus on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Anyone whos like "Goth elves lame", no you faggot. The Dark Eldar are Pirates who live in space and eat souls for nourishment.
    If theres something cooler than soul eating space pirates I dont want to hear about it.

Goths cut themselves and cry. Dark Eldar cut themselves and laugh.
    Drovek wrote: »
    Also bring back the Chaos sorcerer with Sindri's voice. It should be illegal to even dare to change that.

God, Sindri was awesome. He started out gay and weasly, then suddenly he's like "BEAR WITNESS TO MY ASCENSION!" and it takes 20 minutes to kill him.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    see317 wrote: »

I just teleported my necron lord in the midst of the stealth suits and the problem was solved. Scarabs are cheap and they detect, so you could just use them too.

I always went heavy on flayed ones just because it's great having a huge force of nasty melee troops that can enter combat right on top of their prey and then recall to the safety of my monolith when they get in trouble. Then they just reinforce and re-enter the monolith to do it all over again.

Bama on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Soulstorm demo is out.

http://games.internode.on.net/filelist.php?filedetails=14523

Also, at the Relic forums someone posted a THQ release date list and it's scheduled for March 7.

Turkey on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I shall DL and take a look. If I'm not back in three hours send a Virus bomb.

edit: Scratch that, I'm gonna wait until someone torrents it.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nice. Anyone played the demo yet?

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Dark Eldar are evil Eldar who sold their souls to Chaos an eternity ago

WRONG

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008

WRONG

Dark Eldar are all emo and shit. fuckin cutters.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Someone needs to go make a new game on for dark crusade, like now.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    943419_96355_front.jpg

So, is this the real box cover for the game? Because, holy fucking shit, this looks amazing.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, pretty much it looks about right.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    WRONG

Could you at least, I don't know, explain what they are then? If your going to be cocky at least give us more to go on.

Accualt on