As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BONK ON] TF2: Basically, kind of a big deal - ON SALE THIS WEEKEND, SEE OP

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Edcrab wrote: »
    TheBog wrote: »
    I do, however, really enjoy playing Snipers, for the most part. I seem to get a lot of criticals on people, and I find that it doesn't kill them. Not even when they're headshots (on heavies it seems). Is that right?

A sniper's criticals (aka headshots) don't deal a flat amount of damage: they multiply the damage that would've been applied at your rifle's particular level of charge. If you scope and let the shot charge fully, a headshot from it will kill anything, even overhealed heavies. Scouts, engineers, snipers and spies, however, can be killed by a single headshot at any charge level (except if they've been overhealed).

And as for achievements, mine are still broken, and I am still bitter. I hope that doesn't have any effect on future unlockables D:

And medics. Any charge level headshot kills a medic too.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I swear CTF-Well is the stupidest map.

Every other map pretty much encourages teamwork due to the cp system you have to get to the contested points where your team and the action is. CTF_twofort kind of works because of the bottleneck at the bridge that means your team tends to end up pushing together anyway.

CTF_well everyone takes engie and scout and splits up and it becomes a competition of who can place a sentry inthe most annoying place.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, medics get killed by uncharged headshots too. Forgot to put them up there for some reason.

Obviously my respect for medic kind prevented me from mentioning it on a subconscious level...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I do, however, really enjoy playing Snipers, for the most part. I seem to get a lot of criticals on people, and I find that it doesn't kill them. Not even when they're headshots (on heavies it seems). Is that right?

A sniper's criticals (aka headshots) don't deal a flat amount of damage: they multiply the damage that would've been applied at your rifle's particular level of charge. If you scope and let the shot charge fully, a headshot from it will kill anything, even overhealed heavies. Scouts, engineers, snipers and spies, however, can be killed by a single headshot at any charge level (except if they've been overhealed).

And as for achievements, mine are still broken, and I am still bitter. I hope that doesn't have any effect on future unlockables D:

Have you tried deleting TF2 files? Deleting stuff worked for me.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Hey YouHey You Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »
    i like to believe that the server's gay level gets raised 600% when i join

Some thing "raises" when you join. :winky: (studio audience) Ohhhhh....

Hey You on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think the only thing that can really frustrate me in TF2 is when a sniper, in close combat with me as a scout

1 - Stops
    2 - aims
    3 - Fires a bullet between my eyes

In less than a second flat. My face just goes D:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    cryohazardcryohazard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    marty wrote: »
    guys guys guys why are you arguing

just go buy some food

smoke a blunt

dammit - when are you going to be back to playing normal!?

cryohazard on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Why is everyone talking about this new medic stuff like it's out?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I think the only thing that can really frustrate me in TF2 is when a sniper, in close combat with me as a scout

1 - Stops
    2 - aims
    3 - Fires a bullet between my eyes

In less than a second flat. My face just goes D:

This is the best thing.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I feel super bad for those amazing medics who feel cheapened by this farming stuff. And rest assured, I will certainly not farm. But also know, that even though these douche bags will have the same weapons as you, you will still stand out as the best medics on the servers.

And at least we will know you're worth the achievements.

Blargh, it's so frustrating to be trying to play among 4 other medics most of the time.
    But I'm going to stay positive about it. Get some good things out of it:
    A. Others hopefully will understand medic sightlines better after playing for achievements. (Alot of player already do a great job at this on the server I noticed)
    B. I can use this time to actually play another class other than Medic or Engineer.

In the back of my mind though I think, GET THE FUCK OFF MY CLASS ASSHOLES.

Smashism on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    In the back of my mind though I think, GET THE FUCK OFF MY CLASS ASSHOLES.

Hah, that's how I often feel about the team having three goddamn snipers.

Fine, force me out of my niche. But if you're not the next antipop or Flippy, expect angst!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    martymarty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cryohazard wrote: »

just go buy some food

smoke a blunt

I'm just having a good time on holiday, but yeah i couldnt get a flight. I do that whole discount tickets 30 minutes before flight leaves routine and unfortunately its been no dice. so yeah I've flat out bought a ticket for tuesday. I might poke on and off from time to time, but I've got flaky internet

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008

just go buy some food

smoke a blunt

I'm just having a good time on holiday, but yeah i couldnt get a flight. I do that whole discount tickets 30 minutes before flight leaves routine and unfortunately its been no dice. so yeah I've flat out bought a ticket for tuesday. I might poke on and off from time to time, but I've got flaky internet

Garthor keeps making fun of me because I sometimes take like 3-4 tries to get onto the roof of B :( I'm trying the soldier out more lately. With the influx of Medics I feel pushed out to be more agressive. We'll see how this works out for a couple weeks.

cryohazard on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    agoaj wrote: »

Because it should be. Also, we know what it is, as it has all been revealed.

Peewi on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cheez wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    I'm a horrible Spy.

And thusly the only achievement left unfulfilled is the "Get a Medic from the opposing team to heal you as a spy" one.

Uh, seriously? Have you only played one for like a half hour or something?

Seriously. I've played Spy for all of 55 minutes, sucking furiously all the while, and I still got that achievement. I don't even know when it happened, I just looked at my achievements one day and it was done.

Yeah, it's not a hard achievement to get at all. If you hang around the enemy pack long enough, disguised as one of them, eventually one of their medics will hit you with the heal beam for the second it takes to get it. What helps is damaging yourself before you disguise...jumping off a high point is a good method.

You will take a lot of shotgun blasts to the face on your journey, though.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »

Because it should be. Also, we know what it is, as it has all been revealed.

Where can I get this informatinos?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

And medics. Any charge level headshot kills a medic too.
    I'm pretty sure an uncharged headshot doesn't quite do 150 damage.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Where did you get all the info about the new patch? : s

Fuga on
  • Options
    martymarty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

just go buy some food

smoke a blunt

Garthor keeps making fun of me because I sometimes take like 3-4 tries to get onto the roof of B :( I'm trying the soldier out more lately. With the influx of Medics I feel pushed out to be more agressive. We'll see how this works out for a couple weeks.

Reverse rocketjumps. They like never fail ever. You don't even have to look behind fully, just peek to the side fire and crouch jump at the same time. What they lack in sheer height (you'll just about land on the roof as opposed to flying in on a high arc) they make up for the fact you rarely take fall damage, and they push you a greater distance horizontally, allowing quick getaways and the like.

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    MindspreadMindspread Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Sometimes I use this script to do rocket jumps:
    //Rocket Jump
    alias +rocketjump "+jump;+duck;wait;+attack"
    alias -rocketjump "-jump;-attack;wait;wait;wait;-duck"
    bind mouse2 "+rocketjump"

Then I just point at the ground and hit mouse2.

Now that I've got the timing down, I don't use it that much, but when I first started playing soldier, it helped a lot.

I don't know how most people feel about this type of thing, but I don't have a problem with it.

Mindspread on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    god dammit don't use scripts you fatties

tyrannus on
  • Options
    DUCOMDUCOM Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Can someone post me a link to the new updates for TF2? I can't seem to locate them via this forum, or internet.

DUCOM

DUCOM on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

just go buy some food

smoke a blunt

Reverse rocketjumps. They like never fail ever. You don't even have to look behind fully, just peek to the side fire and crouch jump at the same time. What they lack in sheer height (you'll just about land on the roof as opposed to flying in on a high arc) they make up for the fact you rarely take fall damage, and they push you a greater distance horizontally, allowing quick getaways and the like.

That's pretty much exactly the opposite of what it takes to get onto the roof of B.

Zek on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    bring the mouse down to your feet, crouch+jump and fire all at the same time while running forward. then you'll get up there.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Hey YouHey You Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I dont know if anyone knotices but I sticky jump everywhere now. It's really usefull when getting out of sticky situations(oh... pun). I'm like, fuck stairs. I feel like a wanna-be solder. Oh, course you have to stay near a medic or know that you are sticky jumping to health to pull it off all the time.

Hey You on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'm getting better at the rocket jumping but I still mess up the timings and I am avoiding scripts for now so I don't get made fun of more if I suddenly start doing it all right.

I'm having fun with the soldier though so far. I'm used to playing support classes in most games and that is no different in this game (medic and engineer) but this offense thing is fun. Those crit rockets sure seem to come just at the right moment sometimes.

cryohazard on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    scripts huh

I wasn't aware

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Zek wrote: »

just go buy some food

smoke a blunt

That's pretty much exactly the opposite of what it takes to get onto the roof of B.

No it's not, as you're coming from spawn and you enter B from the left before you go down the ramp just rocket jump to the side and youll get right ontop of B without using much health. You don't want to be on the ground and try and rocket jump up to B because it will just use more HP, and there is no need only incase you REALLY need to get up there.

DUCOM

DUCOM on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Don't sign your posts dammit

we know who you are

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Jesuits wrote: »
    Don't sign your posts dammit

we know who you are

im sorry, it's a habit

DUCOM on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Mindspread wrote: »

//Rocket Jump

Now that I've got the timing down, I don't use it that much, but when I first started playing soldier, it helped a lot.

I don't know how most people feel about this type of thing, but I don't have a problem with it.

There is no point in learning scripts really, as they are not allowed in competitive play. It is just an easy way to rocket jump without actually learning anything. Just practice for a couple days and you'll get the hang of it. It really isn't that hard.

DUCOM on
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    bind n "slot4; wait 5; taunt"

this is the ultimate spy script and I fully intend to use it

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    wait

spies can taunt with their disguise kit?

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yes.

They fling their cigarette at you.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yup. It's the best taunt in the whole game.

Jakorian on
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You never kill anyone with the disguise kit, so everybody kinda forgets to use it

BUT NO MORE

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What I do is slot four, taunt, slot one.

He taunts with the knife out and flicks the cig at you.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    How do I use it?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    bind n "slot4; wait 5; taunt"

this is the ultimate spy script and I fully intend to use it

Couldn't you just stab somebody or shoot em, then press "4" and taunt?

DUCOM on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DUCOM wrote: »
    Mindspread wrote: »

//Rocket Jump

There is no point in learning scripts really, as they are not allowed in competitive play. It is just an easy way to rocket jump without actually learning anything. Just practice for a couple days and you'll get the hang of it. It really isn't that hard.

Hate to possibly open a can of worms, but how would they know? To me, it sounds the same as "scripts are exploits lololo" :|

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
This discussion has been closed.