As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlestar Galactica: Now containing un[spoiler]'d [spoiler]s. (Check OP for info.)

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tamin wrote: »
    Was it just me, or did Starbuck look more confident in this one?

The 'previously on' segments are read more like 'plot threads synopsis'. If a Season 3 episode is going to deal with a plot element first introduced in the pilot, next expanded on in Season 2, then they'll say 'previously on BSG, this thing happened, followed by this thing. Now, watch this new thing'. It's minorly spoilery, as you can use them to divine which plot threads they're going to be dealing with.

That's not what I mean...I mean they literally add content to old scenes that didn't exist when they aired the episode. Like, say in Season 2, Episode 10 Colonel Tigh says "I like turkey!" And then in the promo for Season 3, Episode 4 the promo will have him say "I like turkey because my mother fed me turkey when I was seven!" The "...because my mother fed me turkey when I was seven..." part was never a part of the original episode. It's kind of disconcerting when you are watching the episodes (hell, seasons) back-to-back.

Also...Season 3 question about Starbuck:
    In one episode, when she is drinking with Tigh, Admiral Adama tells her "I considered you my daughter once...no more" and throws her to the ground, when she was sewing discontent among the pilots. In the next episode, she is back on pilot duty and she and Adama are chatting like old buds again. I don't remember any apology or forgiveness offered by either party. It was a little jarring. Did I miss something?

Also, does Lee's willingness to punch Starbuck prove he is a misogynist or a feminist?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Can you spoil that stuff about the turkey? Christ, this thread is lawless with the spoilers...

There isn't some Brit-quivilent Sci-Fi.com, like space.uk or something that might have the episode ahead of the US airdate, is there?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    So, question for those who saw Sine Qua Non (most recent episode):
    I don't get the dead cat. It was walking around the whole episode right up until Lee looks in the bag, no? And then he says it's been dead "for weeks?" Romo was just tripping out seeing things?

And no, there's not another hybrid child in the oven, this one is 100% Cylon. Bill Adama steps down because he's lost his objectivity, and he hands over command to the single most conflicted person in the fleet regarding the Cylons. Smart move, bud.

first paragraph:
    Couldn't have, because Lee trips over the cat and says something to the effect of "Don't you feed that thing?"

second paragraph:
    But... cylons can't have kids together. D:

I will kill someone if Cally turns out to be the Final Cylon.

Drez
    I'll take your word for it. Can you give me a specific example?

Tamin on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Alright, that's it, I'm not coming into this thread again until the new episode airs on Friday here in the States. The temptation to look at those spoilers is just too much, and it cracks away at my will a little more each time I come in here.

It better be as good as you guys are saying.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am soooo watching this tonight.

By...flying....to the UK.......and...watching...it on...somebody's DVR? Today?

Also, that was the omega spoiler earlier in the thread. The spoiler by which all others should be measured. It looked all innocent, with its little "show spoiler" button, but then I clicked it and it grabbed my face and wouldn't let go.

Oh well, I'll still enjoy the episode.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    first paragraph:
    Couldn't have, because Lee trips over the cat and says something to the effect of "Don't you feed that thing?"
    nope, he tripped over the cat's empty food dish

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    first paragraph:
    nope, he tripped over the cat's empty food dish
    And then said "Where is [the cat] anyway?", to which Lumpkin looks down and sees it mewing. D:

Tamin on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Watched the latest episode. Through the telectroscope of course.......!

Don't read spoiler if you haven't seen it.
    I can't get into a groove this season. It's like they're just throwing shit at the show and hoping it gains traction. Hey these 4 guys are cyclons; oh wait starbucks trying to find the way to Earth; oh wait, she found Natalie and the rebels; oh wait opera house; oh wait, Natalie's dead and the prez is missing; oh wait lees the president now; oh wait tigh got six pregnant; oh wait he can be admiral now I've decided to resign.

Although, I admit, Husker is a whole rainbow of awesome.

The last 8 episodes they've just opened up can after can of worms and they keep putting off actually making them mean anything. Tory kills Cally! No one cares. Chief connects with Baltar! Oh well. Starbucks ship is brand new with no navigation data! Meh. The Baltar Cult? Never mind.

Romo is a neat character but he seemed totally fucking shoe-horned into this episode, he practically says it himself 'this is a pointless exercise, it should just be you.' Only he does it with a really shiny gun and says shit about a dead cat in yet another Lee Adama Monologue About Justice scene.

I'd write up a bunch of SO DO YOU THINK THIS MEANS....? questions, but it seems most of those kinds of questions never get answered because the writers seem too intent on throwing more complications (ie distractions) into the soup.

Oh. And Racetrack clearly says 'Fucking' instead of 'Frakking'.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Drez

Er, the Adama/Adama conversation in Crossroads Part I was expanded for the promo in Crossroads Part II. But that's a mild example...there were scenes actually added to explain stuff in some promos. I cannot cite specifics scenes or dialogues right now as I'm at work. Perhaps when I get home I'll rifle through. But entire conversations were actually added to promo scenes that never even happened in the episodes themselves.

Drez on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Watched the latest episode. Through the telectroscope of course.......!

Don't read spoiler if you haven't seen it.
    I can't get into a groove this season. It's like they're just throwing shit at the show and hoping it gains traction. Hey these 4 guys are cyclons; oh wait starbucks trying to find the way to Earth; oh wait, she found Natalie and the rebels; oh wait opera house; oh wait, Natalie's dead and the prez is missing; oh wait lees the president now; oh wait tigh got six pregnant; oh wait he can be admiral now I've decided to resign.

Although, I admit, Husker is a whole rainbow of awesome.

The last 8 episodes they've just opened up can after can of worms and they keep putting off actually making them mean anything. Tory kills Cally! No one cares. Chief connects with Baltar! Oh well. Starbucks ship is brand new with no navigation data! Meh. The Baltar Cult? Never mind.

Romo is a neat character but he seemed totally fucking shoe-horned into this episode, he practically says it himself 'this is a pointless exercise, it should just be you.' Only he does it with a really shiny gun and says shit about a dead cat in yet another Lee Adama Monologue About Justice scene.

I'd write up a bunch of SO DO YOU THINK THIS MEANS....? questions, but it seems most of those kinds of questions never get answered because the writers seem too intent on throwing more complications (ie distractions) into the soup.

Oh. And Racetrack clearly says 'Fucking' instead of 'Frakking'.
    this episode felt really, really rushed. This is what i was worried about-wasting 4-5 episodes early in the season would lead to too fast paced stuff going on later-think the last few episodes of season 4 of bab5.

And yeah the cat thing didn't make a ton of sense, and really didn't need to be in there. I'm pretty pissed there wasn't a showdown with zarek, especially since Adama Sr being gone, Tigh probably wouldn't stand in Zarek's way of being president.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Drez

Er, the Adama/Adama conversation in Crossroads Part I was expanded for the promo in Crossroads Part II. But that's a mild example...there were scenes actually added to explain stuff in some promos. I cannot cite specifics scenes or dialogues right now as I'm at work. Perhaps when I get home I'll rifle through. But entire conversations were actually added to promo scenes that never even happened in the episodes themselves.

These definitely exist. There's one where Billy talks to Roslin about... something. I think they're talking about the fuel ship, and it would therefore probably be the episode with the strike. Whatever it was, the conversation had never happened in an episode before.

area on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    this episode felt really, really rushed. This is what i was worried about-wasting 4-5 episodes early in the season would lead to too fast paced stuff going on later-think the last few episodes of season 4 of bab5.

And yeah the cat thing didn't make a ton of sense, and really didn't need to be in there. I'm pretty pissed there wasn't a showdown with zarek, especially since Adama Sr being gone, Tigh probably wouldn't stand in Zarek's way of being president.
    I think the point was that Adama wouldn't have stepped down if he knew it meant Zareck gained control of the fleet. He waited until after an acceptable president was in place before stepping down.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    area wrote: »
    Drez

These definitely exist. There's one where Billy talks to Roslin about... something. I think they're talking about the fuel ship, and it would therefore probably be the episode with the strike. Whatever it was, the conversation had never happened in an episode before.

Yeah, I vaguely remember that one too.

A lot of them make sense but some others are way out of left field and show conversations that weren't even like extensions of the episode. I mean they follow the previous episode and relate to the new episode, but they present information - an apology, that someone knows something you didn't know they knew, etc. - that isn't available unless you watch all the "previously on..." clips before each episode.

Drez on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, question for those who saw Sine Qua Non (most recent episode):
    I don't get the dead cat. It was walking around the whole episode right up until Lee looks in the bag, no? And then he says it's been dead "for weeks?" Romo was just tripping out seeing things?

And no, there's not another hybrid child in the oven, this one is 100% Cylon. Bill Adama steps down because he's lost his objectivity, and he hands over command to the single most conflicted person in the fleet regarding the Cylons. Smart move, bud.

second paragraph:
    But... cylons can't have kids together. D:

I will kill someone if Cally turns out to be the Final Cylon.

So wait, you're saying that
    Tigh isn't a Cylon? What? The all-Cylon-no-babies rule was pretty clear to me as well. Either something very convoluted is happening that I don't understand, or the ones, twos, fours and fives all just have really low sperm counts.

Oh yeah, and that cat was totally dead the whole time and Romo was just having visions. Next thing we know he'll be chillin' in the upper balcony of the opera house.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Okay about the cat
    He was seeing his dead cat. That is why he went crazy and tried to kill Lee. He saw himself as having been set up by Lee to make the nomination of Lee. The fact that some assholes killed the cat he hates/loves had already sent him around the bend. The fact that he harbours such guilt over hte fact that he got back on that shuttle insted of dying with his wife and daughters and that the cat is his last link to them. Add into the fact that some complete dregs of society killed that damn cat, yeah he went nuts. Guilt and booze will do that to a man.

It was nice to see Kara looking all professional and competent again.
    The child is not a hybrid you are right. Except that I am going to have to go with the cyclical nature and say this is just proof that the final five are closer to humanoid/maybe the template for colonials than the segnificant seven.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mom2Kat wrote: »
    Okay about the cat
    He was seeing his dead cat. That is why he went crazy and tried to kill Lee. He saw himself as having been set up by Lee to make the nomination of Lee. The fact that some assholes killed the cat he hates/loves had already sent him around the bend. The fact that he harbours such guilt over hte fact that he got back on that shuttle insted of dying with his wife and daughters and that the cat is his last link to them. Add into the fact that some complete dregs of society killed that damn cat, yeah he went nuts. Guilt and booze will do that to a man.

I had a hard time buying all of that.
    Romo seemed way too solid a character to take that sharp a turn in the crazy person direction.
    Otherwise it was a pretty good episode though.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sine Qua Non:
    The pacing was just really weird this episode, as it has been for a lot of this season so far. That being said, holy shit did a fuckton happen in this ep.

The Quorum scenes seemed more shouty than they needed to be. I get that they're all freaked out. You don't need to be that shouty to get that across.

Lampkin was kind of shoehorned in, but I actually really liked that it was painfully blatantly obvious how that storyline was going to wrap up to pretty much everyone. (Except possibly Lee, although I suspect Lee honestly knew how it was going to end at least eventually, even if he didn't want to admit it to himself.)

It was nice to see Starbuck back to normal, but I'm a little surprised that they've just stuck her back in CAG given all the shit that went down on the Demetrius. (Although I guess they are low on pilots at the moment.)

I'm a little WTF at the "Lee Obama, Sir HOPE HOPE of HOPENSTEIN" that they started setting up near the end there.

And I'm half waiting for the last 20 pages or whatever it is of Adama's book to get somehow destroyed, just as one last "fuck you" from the universe.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Did you SEE Romo grinning while listening to Lee getting sworn in? At the time, I still hadn't caught on that the cat was imaginary (yeah, that was poorly done), and it looked to me like he'd played the whole thing. I wonder though, was the cat positioned near the bag the whole time? That might have been a clue.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Did you SEE Romo grinning while listening to Lee getting sworn in? At the time, I still hadn't caught on that the cat was imaginary (yeah, that was poorly done), and it looked to me like he'd played the whole thing. I wonder though, was the cat positioned near the bag the whole time? That might have been a clue.
    I thought that Romo was playing him the whole time with the gun but I wasn't sure.

yakul on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh shit. Europe got the episode early.

MUST NOT FINISH READING SPOILERS!

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I thought that was a great episode. The plot was rather sketchy at times but the drama in pretty much every scene was fantastic.

The argument/fight between those two main characters was incredibly powerful.

EddieDean on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So, this may be painfully obvious to everyone else, but it struck me at work:
    re: the 'one will be revealed' line
    They've been killing named people off left and right, which struck me as going one of two ways:
    1) everyone who has died has done so to limit the fan-speculation as to 'who can be the fifth'
    2) everyone who has died to this point has done so to say 'hey, one of these guys is the fifth'

thoughts?

Oh, I really doubt
    Natalie is dead
    , mostly because of how much time they've spent on her - it happened right before/during the
    ressurection hub attack, so there was probably time for her to hijack a transport and get back to the basestar.

Note: read that last in a 'I want to believe" voice.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So, this may be painfully obvious to everyone else, but it struck me at work:
    re: the 'one will be revealed' line
    They've been killing named people off left and right, which struck me as going one of two ways:
    1) everyone who has died has done so to limit the fan-speculation as to 'who can be the fifth'
    2) everyone who has died to this point has done so to say 'hey, one of these guys is the fifth'

thoughts?

Oh, I really doubt
    Natalie is dead
    , mostly because of how much time they've spent on her - it happened right before/during the
    ressurection hub attack, so there was probably time for her to hijack a transport and get back to the basestar.

Note: read that last with in a 'I want to believe" voice.
    You are more than likely right on that since this was an episode that was all about moving people around to more interesting and dramatic places. The only reason Natalie was on galactica was to move the opera house plot along and then they had to get her back to the base star after the JUMP

yakul on
  • Options
    StreckStreck Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This episode was crap, but it was almost worth it just for this scene:
    "You've learned a lot about yourself..."

http://chryx.shacknet.nu/foundoutalot.jpg

Streck on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Watching the latest episode, and I have a new theory. Though I'm not done yet. My theory is that
    When the six died, she saw trees. And sorta looked peaceful when she went dead. Kara Thrace is the harbinger of death? Maybe they're supposed to die. Because earth is the afterlife. Eh? Eh?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Watching the latest episode, and I have a new theory. Though I'm not done yet. My theory is that
    When the six died, she saw trees. And sorta looked peaceful when she went dead. Kara Thrace is the harbinger of death? Maybe they're supposed to die. Because earth is the afterlife. Eh? Eh?
    You know I had thought of that, but brushed it off as ridiculous. But I wonder... reincarnation themes, souls that kind of hang around until they are ready to be born. The Cylons can't be born into the real world only because they keep resurrecting themselves.

Roslin had that vision of loved ones on the other side which would be heaven obviously, or real life?

No way.

yakul on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That episode was awesome.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I'd agree, but

season... 3:
    When Caprica Six and Baltar are walking around the BaseStar, and she's explaining Cylon Projection, it shows that her form looks like a forest.

Tamin on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Streck wrote: »

Seriously, I was expecting him to spin around and go
    "No shit, Bill! I'm a cylon!"

But no.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Streck wrote: »

Seriously, I was expecting him to spin around and go
    "No shit, Bill! I'm a cylon!"

But no.

That reaction on his face was awesome....
    I'm still a little concerned that the fleet is now in the command of a Cylon... And Adama as President? I'm not so sure about that... Though I think people were saying he was alot like President Adar anyways, so we'll see how this pans out... And the whole cat/dog thing was a little odd... I think lampkin lost a little coolness there...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So the whole
    Tigh-Six-baby
    thing...
    That changes the reproduction rules we have discussed before. So maybe the 5 are not full Cylons, but Hybrids (consistant with the whole 'this has all happened before' and 'one of the colonies was actually cylon' theories). I was about to suggest that it also means that he isnt Cylon after all, but they've made a big deal about them already being known (unless its a really big fake and they try a "surprise!, these are actually the 5!).

Anyway - the point being that this reopens few areas for discussion - as quite a few debunks were based on it.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Remember, Adar was kind of a huge dick - we learned this long ago when Rosalin had to go up against him because he uh, wasn't paying the teacher enough... or something... Still! He was a dick, we DID learn that. So Lee being like Adar isn't necessarily a great thing.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'd agree, but

season... 3:
    When Caprica Six and Baltar are walking around the BaseStar, and she's explaining Cylon Projection, it shows that her form looks like a forest.

Agreed.
    That was just the environment she wanted to die in.

Here's my question:
    What motivated the hybrid to go back to the hub? What would be there for the hybrid? Was she just down for a fight?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Remember, Adar was kind of a huge dick - we learned this long ago when Rosalin had to go up against him because he uh, wasn't paying the teacher enough... or something... Still! He was a dick, we DID learn that. So Lee being like Adar isn't necessarily a great thing.

We also learned later that he *has* a huge dick, as he was poking Rosalin.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They keep teasing us with these moments where they make it look like
    Tigh is going to reveal himself as a Cylon
    and then keep pulling back at the last moment. Whoever their DoP is, along with the actors, they make for a good combination of line delivery and shot composition.
    After the fight between Adama and Tigh, I was half way laughing at an imagined line where one of them goes "we're too fraking old to be doing this."

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i, uh. Have mixed feelings about that episode.

I really thought that
    Gaeta would be chosen, cause Adama was so freaking obvious. Boy was I wrong/disappointed. Then that whole gun scene seemed so forced/totally out of character with what we know of Romo

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Here's my question:
    What motivated the hybrid to go back to the hub? What would be there for the hybrid? Was she just down for a fight?

I'd imagine the
    the coordinates had already been prepared, FTL drives spooled (or however the Cylons do it), they were just waiting on the command. Plug in the Hybrid, it freaks the fuck out at being surrounded by colonials, and just jumps.

Tamin on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Decius wrote: »
    They keep teasing us with these moments where they make it look like
    Tigh is going to reveal himself as a Cylon
    and then keep pulling back at the last moment. Whoever their DoP is, along with the actors, they make for a good combination of line delivery and shot composition.
    After the fight between Adama and Tigh, I was half way laughing at an imagined line where one of them goes "we're too fraking old to be doing this."
    Hell, the tables have turned for me. Whereas I used to definitely pity anyone on the end of an Adama punch, all I worried about during that fight was Tigh not knowing his own strength and killing Adama. Frak, though, I love some Tigh. 100% badass.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So, am I alone in thinking the Chief is the best character on the show?

Drez on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, am I alone in thinking the Chief is the best character on the show?

Are you saying that because he wasn't in the last episode, and this is some douche comment, or is this supposed to be genuine?

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
This discussion has been closed.