As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlestar Galactica: Now containing un[spoiler]'d [spoiler]s. (Check OP for info.)

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Solandra wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Also, it just now occurs to me; the 12 tribes are named after the 12 signs of the zodiac. I wonder what the 13th one will be called? I mean, there isn't a 13th sign, right?

There are 13 full moons in a calendar year, my brain is feebly offering that I heard (or dreamed) in a world religions class in college that there were 13 zodiac signs at one point, but that more modern calendar systems edged them out because there were fewer months.

I heard that in a video game, so it must be true.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    On the 13th constellation, from wikipedia.
    "Note the ecliptic passes through a thirteenth constellation (or more, depending upon the opinions of astronomers of any given century), Ophiuchus (the serpent bearer), as already recognized in Ptolemy's Almagest, although there is no astrological sign corresponding to Ophiuchus. Notably, Ophiuchus occupies an honored place along the zodiac: amidst the cluster of dust and clouds looking toward the center of the Milky Way galaxy; although not part of the constellation, Barnard's Star is located within Ophiuchus (this is one of the nearest stars to the Solar System, and it has the largest known proper motion of any star relative to the Sun)."

Solandra on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Go, go, wikipedia

EDIT: Damn, beat me by that much

iguanacus on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There are a few reason why I think this episode is the best
    1) Adama & Tigh finally had the "guy fight". I knew this was bound to happen sooner or later. Like all guy fights it ended with some guy's stuff getting broken and the other guy saying sorry(that apology counts for all his recent screw-ups).

2) Someone at BSG HQ is reading these threads because my ponderings of the whereabouts of the dog were answered. One less string that needs to be tied :P.

3) Lampkin went bonkers

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Really? I thought this was a pretty disappointing episode. Plenty happened, but without proper leadup none of it really had any gravitas.

Where the Hell is Starbuck? Dualla? Helo? The Chief?

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Might as well ask where Dualla has been the whole season. She's become a glorified extra. I think Hot Dog has had more lines this season than she has.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Might as well ask where Dualla has been the whole season. She's become a glorified extra. I think Hot Dog has had more lines this season than she has.

Thats because shes the final cylon!

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dac wrote: »
    Really? I thought this was a pretty disappointing episode. Plenty happened, but without proper leadup none of it really had any gravitas.

Where the Hell is Starbuck? Dualla? Helo? The Chief?

Yea, it was a meh episode, but personally it was fun to watch. Hopefully, this is the calm before the storm.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wikipedia's BSG entry
    Wikipedia wrote:
    with the second 10 installments possibly airing as late as 2009

Please tell me this is a sick joke.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Solandra wrote: »
    On the 13th constellation, from wikipedia.
    "Note the ecliptic passes through a thirteenth constellation (or more, depending upon the opinions of astronomers of any given century), Ophiuchus (the serpent bearer), as already recognized in Ptolemy's Almagest, although there is no astrological sign corresponding to Ophiuchus. Notably, Ophiuchus occupies an honored place along the zodiac: amidst the cluster of dust and clouds looking toward the center of the Milky Way galaxy; although not part of the constellation, Barnard's Star is located within Ophiuchus (this is one of the nearest stars to the Solar System, and it has the largest known proper motion of any star relative to the Sun)."

I'm thinking it's much more likely to be
    The Sun. 12 Tribes + one extra special tribe, 12 Cylons who can recognize themselves + one that can't, 12 Disciples + Jesus... that imagery has been used over and over throughout history, and it will be used again. :P

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wikipedia's BSG entry
    Wikipedia wrote:

Nope.

Although, these days I believe it's looking more like this September instead or something.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wikipedia's BSG entry
    Wikipedia wrote:

"I just love beating this dead horse!"
    "I think this well might be dry." "So why pump it?"
    "There's no blood coming out of this stone!"

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I still think the final five are gods/lords of kobol who erased their own memory

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Sakebomb wrote: »
    "I just love beating this dead horse!"
    "I think this well might be dry." "So why pump it?"
    "There's no blood coming out of this stone!"

I picked up the series just before S4 started, so forgive me not being 100% experienced with the legendary BSG mid season delays.

If it breaks down like that, they might as well just call this a 12 episode "season" (including Razor) and make the next 10 a really short "Season 5".

I will quietly pray that a September release is what they go with.

Forar on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The 13th tribe, and final 5:
    I've said it before, but I think that humans and cylons are going to eventually interbreed to become a new race. I think that's what the two hybrids have meant when they say Kara is the harbinger of death, and she will lead the human race to its end. I think they mean that the human race will end, and the new race will begin. It's already happening, there's already 2 human/cylons and some crazy new thing on the way. And since the final five have already been to Earth, something tells me the 13th tribe had something to do with them, and even the creation of the human cylons. Just as the human's don't have the facts straight, and their religion seems to contain clues, I don't think the cylon's religion has their facts straight either.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Go, go, wikipedia
    Wiki thought:
    "A third possibility [for Ophiuchus's mythological meaning] is Apollo wrestling with the Python to take control of the oracle at Delphi."

Eeeenteresting given this week's events, no?

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Here's something I never thought about. The fleet appears to be stationary an awful lot. In between jumps are they simply... plotting jumps? Waiting for the calculations to resolve before they jump again?

Was starbuck less hairbrained crazy last ep because now they're finally
    GOING THE CORRECT WAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!

?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    About the final cylon
    It could be Helo now couldn't it?

ronzo on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ronzo wrote: »
    About the final cylon
    It could be Helo now couldn't it?
    Could be Cali now too...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Here's something I never thought about. The fleet appears to be stationary an awful lot. In between jumps are they simply... plotting jumps? Waiting for the calculations to resolve before they jump again?

They're moving, just at sublight speeds. There are no landmarks or anything in space so they look stationary.

Starcross on
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    deowolf wrote: »
    He still gave an unauthorized person access to secret government areas for personal gain.

We call that treason here in America, and execute the hell out of people who do it!

/tobykieth

Actually it's been along time since we've executed anyone for it. More recently it's been alot of wrist slapping.

Baltar is cowardly slime. That's how i know he can't be the final cylon. THey apppear to actually have spines.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The ships appear stationary lately because they're stationary. Last episode they were waiting to see if
    Rosilin would return to the fleet in the missing basestar. Remember that there's no known way to track a ship through a jump, so if they left and the basestar returned, Rosilin would be SOL without some sort of a guide - enter Bill Adama.

Before that they were still hanging around at the rendezvous point when the
    basestar jumped in instead. I don't think they moved after THAT, either.

So yeah. An awful lot of sitting lately.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Starcross wrote: »

They're moving, just at sublight speeds. There are no landmarks or anything in space so they look stationary.

I imagine theres a limit on the amount of jumps a ship can make in a specified period of time. Most likely, the ships are recharging thier FTL drives.
    Although Galactica did make like four consecutive jumps during the liberation of New Caprica
    The Galactica probably has like a military grade FTL drive or something, while the civilian ships have lower tech systems.

EDIT: Ohgod, my nerd is showing.......

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think even the civilian jump drives are capable of jumps every 33 minutes or so... i forget where I saw that information.:winky:

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    He still gave an unauthorized person access to secret government areas for personal gain.

We call that treason here in America, and execute the hell out of people who do it!

/tobykieth

Actually it's been along time since we've executed anyone for it. More recently it's been alot of wrist slapping.

Baltar is cowardly slime. That's how i know he can't be the final cylon. THey apppear to actually have spines.

Last one I can remember didn't have it too easy, but he certainly got kept off the gallows trap.

Also, moving requires energy, and energy requires fuel, which is not infinite. Why waste precious fuel jumping randomly when you might need it later if they start following once every 33 minutes again?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »

/tobykieth

Last one I can remember didn't have it too easy, but he certainly got kept off the gallows trap.

Also, moving requires energy, and energy requires fuel, which is not infinite. Why waste precious fuel jumping randomly when you might need it later if they start following once every 33 minutes again?

They were only able to follow them every 33 minutes because supposedly the Olympic Carrier harbored a Cylon agent that was transmitting their coordinates every jump.

And I imagine burning up a little extra fuel jumping around is probably better than waiting for a Cylon scouting party to find your ass and feed it back to a couple basestars.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dac wrote: »
    They were only able to follow them every 33 minutes because supposedly the Olympic Carrier harbored a Cylon agent that was transmitting their coordinates every jump.

Wasn't it that little thingy they found in the command center (I nearly wrote "ops" or "the bridge" there) when Baltar was busy trying to prove his worth and Head Six was doing her 'sultrily useful' routine?

That said, now that the episode has been mentioned a few times in the last few pages, I really want to re-watch 33 Minutes. The sense of relief once they were finally in the clear was so wonderfully palpable.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    We don't know WHAT it was. That's part of what made it awesome. All we do know is that once the Olympic Carrier was destroyed, it stopped.

shryke on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »

/tobykieth

So my sardonism went a little flat.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    So... has anybody discussed what time period this may be taking on what kind of Earth they will find still? Before I heard they may find a ancient pre-Biblical Earth or a present time Earth. How about a future Earth, I'm talking far far tens of thousands of years in the future? It could answer a lot of things, especially with their language and such. ENGLISH!?!

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So... has anybody discussed what time period this may be taking on what kind of Earth they will find still? Before I heard they may find a ancient pre-Biblical Earth or a present time Earth. How about a future Earth, I'm talking far far tens of thousands of years in the future? It could answer a lot of things, especially with their language and such. ENGLISH!?!
    Seriously, I don't get why they didn't just make up an entirely new and foreign language for this show. The fact that they're all speaking English is just far too ridiculous.

Seriously though, I'd love to have another discussion on when in Earth's timeline this show takes place. Those are fun. The show's mythology obviously lends itself to the 13th tribe being the ancient Greeks, but just about anything is possible.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think far future is more likely then far past. And way less cheesy.

shryke on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Are we even sure that the Earth they are going to is "our" Earth? It may be the Earth that fits with the continuity of the show, not necessarily ours.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It's the future.

The distant future.

About 700 years distant.

They arrive to find only one thing left on Earth;
    walle_sm.jpg

Okay, I doubt they'll actually resort to blatant product placement like that, but the idea made me laugh.

Forar on
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A friend of mine was saying that a nice touch would be to have the Galactica find Earth (in any state), and then in scenes with Earth characters, all the regular Galactica cast would be talking some unintelligible language. To kind of show that we've just been watching a translated version, and the colonials don't actually speak English.

EddieDean on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    But if Earth is populated by the renegade 13th colony they probably would speak the same language wouldn't they?

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Patches7o9Patches7o9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    We don't know WHAT it was. That's part of what made it awesome. All we do know is that once the Olympic Carrier was destroyed, it stopped.

Didn't they figure out it was a Cylon IFF device and use it to get the nuke onto the basestar?

Patches7o9 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Patches7o9 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

Didn't they figure out it was a Cylon IFF device and use it to get the nuke onto the basestar?

Nope.

The IFF device wasn't discovered for a bunch more episodes.

shryke on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hmm, maybe I'm just forgetting the events of the 2nd and 3rd season, but did they ever find Kobol? If so, why didn't they settle there? I remember there being some nice place with forests and stuff.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hmm, maybe I'm just forgetting the events of the 2nd and 3rd season, but did they ever find Kobol? If so, why didn't they settle there? I remember there being some nice place with forests and stuff.

Yeah, end of season 1/start of season 2. They didn't settle because the cylons already knew about it. It's far better to find a place they know nothing about, like New Caprica, than to settle on one they do know and just hope they don't decide to check back.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
This discussion has been closed.