DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    jes is a wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Macs are for fags

This too but I try not to let my blatant hatred cloud my view. Macs are just impractical because they essentially hide all functionality to prevent novice users from making mistakes. Which I suppose is fine because it can be worked around. Hell the first thing I do on a windows OS is disable as much as possible.

Seriously. No thanks, Vista, I don't need you to remind me of my next prostate exam with data you mined from my Office documents.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to maintain Windows XP when I buy a new computer.

Insert Windows XP CD.
    Boot from Windows XP CD.
    Reformat hard drive.
    Install Windows XP.

I was under the impression if I loaded my XP disc onto my new computer, that their authentication thingy will prevent me from doing so since I'd been using it on my current computer.

How, you own that shit, they can't tell you not to use your own shit.

You're only licensed to use it on one computer at a time.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was under the impression if I loaded my XP disc onto my new computer, that their authentication thingy will prevent me from doing so since I'd been using it on my current computer.

It's Microsoft. Stranger things have happened.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    I would be all over an iPhone if I didn't have to sign up for AT&T.

That's really my problem with Apple - this sort of closed system "trust us, we know best" attitude. (I know there's more going on with the iPhone example)

That and their advertising.

Android android android

http://www.t-mobileg1.com/

Eww it does that slidey keyboard thing that makes me think about preteens in baggy clothing and bright colors sitting on the side of the road ignoring one another to type out ridiculous messages.

This is a Phone

This is an Ipod/Iphone

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jes is ajes is a __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Macs are for fags

This too but I try not to let my blatant hatred cloud my view. Macs are just impractical because they essentially hide all functionality to prevent novice users from making mistakes. Which I suppose is fine because it can be worked around. Hell the first thing I do on a windows OS is disable as much as possible.

Seriously. No thanks, Vista, I don't need you to remind me of my next prostate exam with data you mined from my Office documents.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to maintain Windows XP when I buy a new computer.

Insert Windows XP CD.
    Boot from Windows XP CD.
    Reformat hard drive.
    Install Windows XP.

Don't register it.

jes is a on
    1154928402_iBankai-1-1-1.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    Vista is probably nice but I don't plan to use it unless I somehow get trapped. I like XP.
    On modern hardware there is no reason to use XP over Vista.

Vista is flat out a better OS than XP in pretty much every way.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    What's the sandwich with roast beef that gets dunked in a tub of gravy. Saw that shit on the Food Network, son.

Are you thinking of a French dip sandwich? You generally dip that in au jus though.

Ah yes that is it.

Organichu on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man now I really want to do to this one local diner that has awesome french dip sandwiches.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    you can install XP on as many computers as you want with one disc.

I'll flat out admit to piracy and tell you I'm on a pirated copy of XP currently, but considering the forum rules, this is completely incorrect. You receive a license to install it on one computer. Now if you stop using that computer you could probably bend the rules to switch the license to the new computer, but since obviously IANAL I can't verify that.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've yet to feel the need to upgrade my phonedge.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Macs are for fags

Insert Windows XP CD.
    Boot from Windows XP CD.
    Reformat hard drive.
    Install Windows XP.

Don't register it.

You have to take XP through registration after x amount of days.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I'll flat out admit to piracy and tell you I'm on a pirated copy of XP currently, but considering the forum rules, this is completely incorrect. You receive a license to install it on one computer. Now if you stop using that computer you could probably bend the rules to switch the license to the new computer, but since obviously IANAL I can't verify that.

So you're a pirate eh?

Do you go around looking for booty?

jes is a on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    West Side Story music? Nice.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Huh I haven't turned on my macbook in like a month and a half. Is that bad for it?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Macs are for fags

Insert Windows XP CD.
    Boot from Windows XP CD.
    Reformat hard drive.
    Install Windows XP.

Don't register it.

You have to take XP through registration after x amount of days.

I don't ever remember registering my copy of xp, unless it automatically registers itself during the updates then maybe it did, but I don't remember.

jes is a on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What the fuck? Why is my Vista slacking it won't tell me a damn thing.

Do you use Office with its Calendar?

Nah I use rainlender.

h5 Rainlender is awesome. As is ObjectDesktop.

Sure is. I use em both and i've made quite the sexy desktop. I'm tempted to post it in fact.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What's the sandwich with roast beef that gets dunked in a tub of gravy. Saw that shit on the Food Network, son.

Are you thinking of a French dip sandwich? You generally dip that in au jus though.

Ah yes that is it.

I think it can also be called a 'beef dip' depending on where you order it. :P

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

So you're a pirate eh?

Do you go around looking for booty?

Ha ha ha

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I meant it's possible, I never bothered to consider what MS rules were. I have a legit copy of XP that I've installed on my laptop, my desktop which I built, my dad's dell that we had to format, and my friend's Mac all in the last few months, not to mention many reformats and new computers since I got it some years ago.

I can't register it online anymore but if you call the number and register by phone you never run into a problem. I don't know if that's a loophole or if they just don't really care that much.

But anyway, I just meant it's possible not that it's necessarily legal.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I don't ever remember registering my copy of xp, unless it automatically registers itself during the updates then maybe it did, but I don't remember.

After you first install it it'll ask you for a registration key, either input through the internet or two keys over the phone.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    On the Blackberry Storm: it has a better camera than the iPhone which I think is really cool but I don't think any phone will ever resonate with me like the iPhone simply because of two things:

1.) The inbuilt storage
    2.) The UI for media

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

After you first install it it'll ask you for a registration key, either input through the internet or two keys over the phone.

I never did that, although I did have my friend reformat the computer for me, so maybe he did it.

jes is a on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I meant it's possible, I never bothered to consider what MS rules were. I have a legit copy of XP that I've installed on my laptop, my desktop which I built, my dad's dell that we had to format, and my friend's Mac all in the last few months, not to mention many reformats and new computers since I got it some years ago.

I can't register it online anymore but if you call the number and register by phone you never run into a problem. I don't know if that's a loophole or if they just don't really care that much.

But anyway, I just meant it's possible not that it's necessarily legal.

Its they don't really care unless a key starts getting used hundreds of times.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I had an XP disc that I used at least 20 times on various PC. I just recall always saying no to activation and eventually it just went away.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Okay Proto, that video went from great, to weird, to hilarious.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I never did that, although I did have my friend reformat the computer for me, so maybe he did it.

Either its a cracked copy or someone did it. If its a cracked copy though you wouldn't be able to run the windows updater.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That was...surprisingly gory Proto.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    On the Blackberry Storm: it has a better camera than the iPhone which I think is really cool but I don't think any phone will ever resonate with me like the iPhone simply because of two things:

1.) The inbuilt storage
    2.) The UI for media

I will totally admit that the blackberry UI for media is complete ass. I would hope they have corrected this for the storm. If not yeah huge fuck up.

I have two gigs of storage in my pearl and I use it for movies, music, and as a flash drive. I will also say that if RIM doesn't do something to fix their lack of games I will be very upset the number of touch games on the Iphone is impressive along with the ease of download

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Either its a cracked copy or someone did it. If its a cracked copy though you wouldn't be able to run the windows updater.

Someone did it and it wasn't me.
    I run the updater all the time.
    I also love onecare.
    That thing has saved my ass so many times.
    Like I tryed running Limewire and it was all like NO!!!!!!

So I listened and I stopped getting viruses.

Who would have thought you can get viruses from Limewire?

jes is a on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I also love onecare.

Who would have though you can get viruses from Limewire?

Everyone.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I also love onecare.

They took it through registration then, and the limewire thing was funny. Seriously though don't download things off limewire, and I'm not saying that for the legal reasons.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm thinking of getting the Blackberry Storm. I want something more than just a basic phone because I haven't seen any I like at all. Since I'm with Verizon, iPhone isn't an option and I want to take a step up, Blackberry seems like the best choice. Also I like the idea of getting a phone right around when it comes out, and I'm eligible for an upgrade already.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That was...surprisingly gory Proto.

I love the weird turn it takes.

Also, the Rear Window reference halfway through :^:

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I also love onecare.

Everyone.

No one ever shared this vital piece of information for me because none of you all care.

Good thing I have OneCare it actually cares about me and wants my computer to live a long and prosperous life.

jes is a on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Everyone.

I always assumed that viruses are what Limewire is for.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I also love onecare.

They took it through registration then, and the limewire thing was funny. Seriously though don't download things off limewire, and I'm not saying that for the legal reasons.

I don't anymore, I :wink:buy everything legal now :wink:

jes is a on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The XP registration thing wasn't always there. That's where the little program that verifies you have a Genuine Windows install for updates comes in. That also wasn't always there.

I'm not sure when the registration thing was added, but certainly not until after SP1. Anyway, for the record, Vista must be activated via the net or phone.

Also, there are two kinds of licenses for non-commercial installs. OEM means it's tied to that computer and that OS can only be installed on that computer. You can get a non-OEM OS retail box that you can only install on one computer at a time, but can be installed as often as you like on any computer.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Even your mom knows you can get a virus from limewire. Too bad she didn't know the same about Feral.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So he is the one that gave her the crabs?

jes is a on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ludious wrote: »
    Even your mom knows you can get a virus from limewire. Too bad she didn't know the same about Feral.

To be fair, that's not so much a virus as some kind of fungus.

japan on
This discussion has been closed.