As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sorry, You're Not A [Chat]er

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Getting upset over those ads is the silliest thing

someone poking gentle fun at an operating system provokes an emotional response in only the nerdiest of the ur-nerds

Upset is a bit strong, they just irritate me greatly. It's not that I believe it's mis-representing either side, it's the tone of the ads that gets me. It's just so wrapped up in its own coolness. It's just so damned unlikable to me. I'm not a huge fan of the new Windows ones either, I feel like the kids in Africa saying "I'm a PC" is exploitative, and I couldn't give 2 shits about Deepak Chopra's opinion of Windows. The Mojave commercials, also irritating, but the saturation levels in comparison to the Mac Vs. PC ads just aren't as high.

I think they're deliciously ironic.

I would much rather be friends with Hodgman - based on those ads alone - than the smarmy hipster that represents Macs.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    japan wrote: »
    The websites of clothing retailers are pretty terrible.

Generally flash-laden monstrosities with awful layouts and poor navigation controls, and an irritating tendency to randomly assail you with bad background music.

Also some surprisingly large companies appear to offer no means of shopping online.

Yeah, that's why I prefer to brick and mortar anything I can't direct download, with exceptions for Books and DVDs.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    and other sailors.

D:
    :winky:

Bored on the ship?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Leitner wrote: »
    that's because you're retarded justin

this is not an insult, just a statement of objectively verifiable fact

You're being pretty harsh here Senj, what did retards ever do to justify being lumped in with sane?
    that's a fair point

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Leitner wrote: »
    that's because you're retarded justin

this is not an insult, just a statement of objectively verifiable fact

You're being pretty harsh here Senj, what did retards ever do to justify being lumped in with sane?

Oh haha, I get it, because Sane's worse than the retards if they don't deserve to be lumped in with him, oh, you're so good...

Alecthar on
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    and other sailors.

D:

Bored on the ship?

He just likes other sailors. Bitch is in the navy and has never been on a ship.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    jes is ajes is a __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    and other sailors.

D:

Bored on the ship?

How do you think pirates stay entertained during those long months at sea?

That is why it was always essential to have lots of rum and olive oil.

jes is a on
    1154928402_iBankai-1-1-1.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    This is the funniest post I've read in a while

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    On the Blackberry Storm: it has a better camera than the iPhone which I think is really cool but I don't think any phone will ever resonate with me like the iPhone simply because of two things:

1.) The inbuilt storage
    2.) The UI for media

I will totally admit that the blackberry UI for media is complete ass. I would hope they have corrected this for the storm. If not yeah huge fuck up.

I have two gigs of storage in my pearl and I use it for movies, music, and as a flash drive. I will also say that if RIM doesn't do something to fix their lack of games I will be very upset the number of touch games on the Iphone is impressive along with the ease of download

It's not so much that I have a problem with RIM's UI, it's just that... c'mon, it's an iPod. I know for some people that means nothing, but for me there's listening to music via an iPod/iPod Touch, then there's listening to it via other, less able media players. It's just so incredibly natural to me.

To be fair, though, if I could do it all again I'd probably get an iPod Touch and then a phone with a really nice camera/video capabilities. I'm getting sick of paying for unlimited data when I don't need to browse the net in the shitter at work.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    and other sailors.

D:

Bored on the ship?

Wait what. I know its been years since my dad retired, but I could of sworn there was a rule that every once in a while you were forced to go on duty on a boat somewhere.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    The websites of clothing retailers are pretty terrible.

Generally flash-laden monstrosities with awful layouts and poor navigation controls, and an irritating tendency to randomly assail you with bad background music.

Also some surprisingly large companies appear to offer no means of shopping online.

Yeah, that's why I prefer to brick and mortar anything I can't direct download, with exceptions for Books and DVDs.

I have trouble with shopping for certain things, since I tend to have a pretty clear idea in my head of what I want, then go looking for it. This works especially poorly for clothing, since the traditional way that fashion works is the complete opposite of that.

Generally if I go looking for what I want in a physical shop I'll have to do a hell of a lot of walking and dedicate at least a day to finding what I'm loking for.

japan on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    John Hodgman is actually inherently likable

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    On the Blackberry Storm: it has a better camera than the iPhone which I think is really cool but I don't think any phone will ever resonate with me like the iPhone simply because of two things:

1.) The inbuilt storage
    2.) The UI for media

I will totally admit that the blackberry UI for media is complete ass. I would hope they have corrected this for the storm. If not yeah huge fuck up.

I have two gigs of storage in my pearl and I use it for movies, music, and as a flash drive. I will also say that if RIM doesn't do something to fix their lack of games I will be very upset the number of touch games on the Iphone is impressive along with the ease of download

It's not so much that I have a problem with RIM's UI, it's just that... c'mon, it's an iPod. I know for some people that means nothing, but for me there's listening to music via an iPod/iPod Touch, then there's listening to it via other, less able media players. It's just so incredibly natural to me.

To be fair, though, if I could do it all again I'd probably get an iPod Touch and then a phone with a really nice camera/video capabilities. I'm getting sick of paying for unlimited data when I don't need to browse the net in the shitter at work.

You don't need to. But it does give you just a little bit of a thrill doesn't it?

Ludious on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hating John Hodgman is like hating puppies or blow jobs.

it just isn't cricket

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    god I would have so much gay sailor sex in the navy it wouldn't even be funny

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    and other sailors.

D:

Bored on the ship?

Wait what. I know its been years since my dad retired, but I could of sworn there was a rule that every once in a while you were forced to go on duty on a boat somewhere.

I'm sure he will. My theory is, despite what he claims, he's slept with higher ups to avoid it. And also because he's a whore. But it's been... what, 4ish years in and he's yet to do it.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I would laugh though.

jes is a on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Look I fucking hate the stupid fucking OS war as much as the next guy.

All I'm saying is throwing out shit like "Mac users are on the whole ignorant" or "You can't be a Mac Poweruser" is just as bad as those idiots who say shit like "PCs are years behind Macs in everything ever" and "Macs are the only intelligent OS" and "The Mac is the Cadillac of the OS world"

I mean it's needlessly divisive, based on anecdotes and prejudices, and helps no one. It's an operating system for god's sake.

Different products are suitable for different types of people. Fighting words! Controversy!

This addresses my point how?

I agreed with Senjutsu's point that most Mac users are either very novice or very advanced, and there doesn't tend to be much middle ground.

I stated that I felt that this was due to the OS itself. Specifically, it's very user-friendly for the novice user, and is built on a *NIX core which is great for scripting and development work, but it's not so great for the power user.

Apparently you felt that this statement was playing into some religious OS war, when what I was saying is that different OSes are good for different types of user, which isn't really a warlike statement at all.

Oh.

Well I think it's because you have a very specific version of "poweruser", which is some sort of middle ground between advanced users who script and develop and novices who move the mouse and click. When I think of powerusers I think of those very people who script and such. I also missed that you agreed with senj.

So basically I thought you were saying something about the Mac discourages being an advanced user. Which is ridiculous. So I responded.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I think I recall a rule about that somewhere...

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

We can enlist together.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    and other sailors.

D:

Bored on the ship?

I'm sure he will. My theory is, despite what he claims, he's slept with higher ups to avoid it. And also because he's a whore. But it's been... what, 4ish years in and he's yet to do it.

Possibly. I mean those Officers are always so clean cut.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I officialy concede the chat to go get lunch

Jokerman on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    This is the funniest post I've read in a while

thanks. It felt good hitting the keyboard.

I have been making far too many jew jokes of late in real life though. Damn those Cash for Gold commercials.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sleeping with higher-ups is nothing new for Quid.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Jokerman wrote: »
    I officialy concede the chat to go get lunch

Lunch, don't you mean breakfast?

jes is a on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dyna’s going soft. Mostly around the middle.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    stilist wrote: »

I'd tell him he's doing it wrong and there's ways to influence higherups without trading in his self-respect and dignity, but he has neither of those left at this point.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

We can enlist together.

Don't trust him, Eddy, he'd turn you in for a pat on the head.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

We can enlist together.

what do you even look like

how much play would you get

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Honestly the biggest problem MACs have aside from their price and often horrible appearance is the community and culture surrounding them.

I used to entertain the notion of getting an iMac before those godawful commercials reminded me that the official MAC Lifestyle is that of douchery. :(

That and the whole games issue.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The only reason I even saw a ship was because I needed to get an ID card while on vacation. It's entirely dependent on your job and what's available/needed. My last job was almost entirely land locked except for carriers and because of some status I joined under I was limited even further. I did, however, get to go to Iraq for a year. But it's more of a guide line for detailers to follow when assigning jobs than a rule.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I'd tell him he's doing it wrong and there's ways to influence higherups without trading in his self-respect and dignity, but he has neither of those left at this point.

Maybe he just likes the sex, have you thought of that yet, and maybe they give him money and treat him the way a real lady is suppose to be treated?

jes is a on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Honestly the biggest problem MACs have aside from their price and often horrible appearance is the community and culture surrounding them.

I used to entertain the notion of getting an iMac before those godawful commercials reminded me that the official MAC Lifestyle is that of douchery. :(

A MAC is something your network deals with. A Mac is a computer.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

We can enlist together.

what do you even look like

how much play would you get

That's not important we could separate after MEPS. I just don't want to do it alone. :(

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    jes is a wrote: »

Maybe he just likes the sex, have you thought of that yet, and maybe they give him money and treat him the way a real lady is suppose to be treated?

I buy him fancy soap. I don't know what else he should need in life.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There are so many gay people Eddy. So many.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »

A Mac is only a 'lifestyle' if you allow it to be, you obsessive weirdo. :D

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dyna’s going soft. Mostly around the middle.

no wai, i'm in better shape than ever.

I'll send you nearly nude pics, check your PMs.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well I think it's because you have a very specific version of "poweruser", which is some sort of middle ground between advanced users who script and develop and novices who move the mouse and click.

Actually, yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I think of as a power user.
    So basically I thought you were saying something about the Mac discourages being an advanced user. Which is ridiculous. So I responded.

It's cool.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.