Options

We're pimps and killers, but in a philanthropic way. [Dollhouse, Whedon spoilers]

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I'm not saying a cliffhanger can't be a viable ending

but angel season 5 counts in my book.

Not even close. Angel S5 is not a cliff-hanger, it's an "Everyone Dies" ending.

shryke on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    and the entire Buffy season 4 finale was spent setting up the next season

Adam and the Initiative are stopped in the penultimate episode, the finale was aaaaall setup.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    shryke wrote: »

Joss would disagree with that, considering he's kept the story going past that point much like Buffy, in comic form.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Joss would disagree with that, considering he's kept the story going past that point much like Buffy, in comic form.

Both of which kinda suck.

Angel S5 is an ending that you could, potentially, continue on afterwards. But that applies to the ending of almost any story. It's still and ending, not a cliff-hanger.
    and the entire Buffy season 4 finale was spent setting up the next season

Adam and the Initiative are stopped in the penultimate episode, the finale was aaaaall setup.

The finale wasn't setup, the finale was sort of a one-off, with some resolution for the characters combined with a bit of foreshadowing.

shryke on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

Agreed. Neither Buffy nor Angel translate well into comics. I enjoy the pacing of the dialog in the show. Such pacing does not exist in comic form.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

Agreed. Neither Buffy nor Angel translate well into comics. I enjoy the pacing of the dialog in the show. Such pacing does not exist in comic form.

I've also come to the opinion that the budget constraints of the show kept them from actually doing some of the stupider things they may have thought of. Nothing seems to be holding that back in the comics.

shryke on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I've also come to the opinion that the budget constraints of the show kept them from actually doing some of the stupider things they may have thought of. Nothing seems to be holding that back in the comics.

The comic version of shows tends to do that. And then if necessary its declared non-cannon. If Buffy were to ever come back I'm sure she would be de-lesbianized and such.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

The comic version of shows tends to do that. And then if necessary its declared non-cannon. If Buffy were to ever come back I'm sure she would be de-lesbianized and such.

Wait, Buffy's a lesbian now?? WTF?

shryke on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I predict that this thread title will prove to be eerily prophetic

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So can I preorder the Complete Series DVD box set now or are we still laboring under the impression that this will last a season?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    She's not really gay, so much as bi-curious. She was getting hard up for some loving, and the only guy around was Zander. So she started boffing one of the slayer-ettes.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    iguanacus wrote: »
    She's not really gay, so much as bi-curious. She was getting hard up for some loving, and the only guy around was Zander. So she started boffing one of the slayer-ettes.

Oh that poor guy, he'll never get Buffy lovin'.

Kagera on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think the Buffy comic holds up better, but I do agree that the dramatic increase in the scope of Buffy and Angel's adventures make the two comics feel like huge departures from their respective series.

Also, since the characters have severed all ties to mundane life, it's harder to relate to them.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think the Buffy comic holds up better, but I do agree that the dramatic increase in the scope of Buffy and Angel's adventures make the two comics feel like huge departures from their respective series.

Also, since the characters have severed all ties to mundane life, it's harder to relate to them.

I think this is what really hurt Buffy past like S4. (or even past S3)

She didn't feel like she was living anything close to a normal young persons life at all. She just Slayed, full time. And everyone else helped her. Full time. Real life was incidental.

Angel never really ran into this problem imo cause the whole show was kinda built from the start around these people being isolated from the real world in their weird little bubble.

shryke on
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    After 4 years of BSG I can't take these promo shots seriously. I just glance at them and say "Wow, Galactica scrubs up real nice with some hardwood floors. Helo, nice suit!"

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009
    Buffy was trying to relate to the real world all the way through Season 6 and partway into Season 7. She was a fast food cashier, for god's sake. Then she was a school counselor. The "How do I manage to lead a life when I have to slay?" thing was pronounced through the show's run - it just went from the demands of a high-school girl, to the demands of a college girl, to the demands of an autonomous adult.

Also, I like the Buffy comics, though they do stray from the formula substantially. And yeah, I guess 100-foot-tall Dawn is a bit silly. But I think it works, for what it is.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think the Buffy comic is fantastic although the Angel series is just so-so

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Buffy was trying to relate to the real world all the way through Season 6 and partway into Season 7. She was a fast food cashier, for god's sake. Then she was a school counselor. The "How do I manage to lead a life when I have to slay?" thing was pronounced through the show's run - it just went from the demands of a high-school girl, to the demands of a college girl, to the demands of an autonomous adult.

Also, I like the Buffy comics, though they do stray from the formula substantially. And yeah, I guess 100-foot-tall Dawn is a bit silly. But I think it works, for what it is.

I can only wonder what happens when Dawn has a heavy flow day.

Kagera on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I think this is what really hurt Buffy past like S4. (or even past S3)

She didn't feel like she was living anything close to a normal young persons life at all. She just Slayed, full time. And everyone else helped her. Full time. Real life was incidental.

Angel never really ran into this problem imo cause the whole show was kinda built from the start around these people being isolated from the real world in their weird little bubble.

For me, the going to school or having a 9-5 wasn't important. It was the relationships between the characters and how it felt more like a real friendship than what you usually see from bands of people fighting evil.

Having the characters sit around in their meeting place and talk about the big bad or whatever while making quips pretty much encapsulated what I liked about the shows, and I just don't see that in the comics now.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

D:
    :winky:
    D:D:

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Like a red oil spill.

Also, there's a tsunami. Lots of dead Indonisians.

shryke on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Like a red oil spill.

Also, there's a tsunami. Lots of dead Indonisians.

We have discovered the origin of the red tide phenomenon

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Somehow that first trailer makes me want to watch the show less than I did before. It looks like it will be episodic crap.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have no problem admitting I'm completely lost in the Angel comic. I'm still liking the Buffy comic though.

As for Dollhouse. It certainly doesn't grab me...but I'm curious enough and have faith in Whedon to watch a season

VoodooV on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm amazed anyone gave him the money to make it

I mean, have you read that premise? If people didn't take to Firefly how are they supposed to take to that

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

I mean, have you read that premise? If people didn't take to Firefly how are they supposed to take to that
    Then again, how could anyone not take to "Cowboys and Courtesans... in Space!"?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

It's about an American woman that has sex and shoots guns. That usually seals the deal for most of you guys, right?

theSquid on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Right, because we all know how well that turned out. A group of devoted fans does not a successful series make. I figure Dollhouse has 4 weeks and it's done. They'll replace it with some game show that costs a third as much to make and will get 3 times as many viewers.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, reviews for the first episode have been up for a while, and one of the things they all seem to mention is the surprising lack of the usual Whedon humor.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    WicketW.WarrickWicketW.Warrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Really? That uh... sucks.

Oh maybe I'm misunderstanding there's still normal humor there then?

WicketW.Warrick on
    94970502bg8.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Really? That uh... sucks.

Oh maybe I'm misunderstanding there's still normal humor there then?

Well, I'd really like to know what "suprising lack" means. Is it totally devoid, or just a lower content? Because Firefly's first episode was pretty low on the humor-to-drama scale too.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Right, because we all know how well that turned out. A group of devoted fans does not a successful series make.
    No, a network that shows episode one before episode two, three and four are also necessary. Apparently one out of two gets you cancelled and a movie.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

even in a world infused with obama-hope, it's been obvious to pretty much everyone from the beginning that this will be getting canceled within 4 episodes. I haven't let myself get excited about it.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

even in a world infused with obama-hope, it's been obvious to pretty much everyone from the beginning that this will be getting canceled within 4 episodes. I haven't let myself get excited about it.

I'm starting to wonder if I should wait four or five weeks, then catch up. So I don't get my hopes up, since I fully expect to love the show.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I never got excited over this because the premise sounds really stupid. Then again, the first time I saw a trailer for Firefly I thought it looked like the most retarded crap ever and it turned out to be an absolutely brilliant show.

Also, I've developed a completely irrational hatred towards Eliza Dushku. I have no idea what's up with that, but the moment she appeared on the screen in Buffy I wanted to punch her and the feeling persists even to this day. There's just something about that face of hers that rubs me the wrong way.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    All his shows sound stupid when boiled down to their core premise. Blonde valley-girl turns the tables on vampires, and hunts them! Vampire with a soul fights evil lawyers in Los Angeles. Cowboys in space. Musical about a supervillain.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As mentioned earlier in the thread, the network has virtually promised to give it 13 episodes even if the ratings suck. They even gave Firefly that much. Seems like it would have to be astonishingly unsuccessful to get canceled before then.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

True, but he got with Cordie. And Anya. And at least made out with Willow. All of whom are hotter than Buffy by a significant margin. It's an unusual show when the gorgeous central character is the fourth or fifth hottest woman.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »

True, but he got with Cordie. And Anya. And at least made out with Willow. All of whom are hotter than Buffy by a significant margin. It's an unusual show when the gorgeous central character is the fourth or fifth hottest woman.

He got with Faith too. Actually, she popped his cherry. That was an awesome episode.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    As mentioned earlier in the thread, the network has virtually promised to give it 13 episodes even if the ratings suck. They even gave Firefly that much. Seems like it would have to be astonishingly unsuccessful to get canceled before then.
    Are you doubting the network's ability to fuck a show over?

I'm just curious as to what they had to promise Joss to get him even speaking to Fox after Firefly. I seem to recall some rather hard feelings after that.

see317 on
This discussion has been closed.