As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're pimps and killers, but in a philanthropic way. [Dollhouse, Whedon spoilers]

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    shryke wrote: »
    Basically, it wrapped up a few of the shows most glaring mysteries as best it could, and packaged that in an entertaining movie format.

It wrapped up a mystery that should never have been revealed.
    The Reavers.

Serenity turned the most terrifying, primordial, genetic memory, fear-of-the-dark, force of nature into monster of the week.

That sauce was of a distinctly weak variety. The Reavers in Firefly were masterfully done. The Reavers in Serenity, not so much. If Whedon had his heart set on revealing the Reavers then it would have had to have been hinted at over seasons worth of tiny plot points, not as a single extended episode.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alecthar wrote: »
    So it basically eschewed that conflict between the Powers that Be and Wolfram and Hart for crap. Not to mention the set up for Angel getting his humanity back in the first season is utterly forgotten midway through season 2, then in the last episode, the writers must have been finishing up and then gone "Shit, I forgot that was in there."

o_O Did you even watch the last two seasons?

They did come back to that, agreed, but I felt like Connor and Jasmine and all that really detracted from that conflict. In fact, thinking about it right now, the entire thing would have been a lot more palatable to me if Connor and Jasmine had never made an appearance.

But I've been reading "After the Fall" and I have to admit I find myself enjoying it a great deal.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    Season 2 may certainly be my favorite Buffy season. It was almost Shakespearian in its tragedy; yes, I went there.
    To me Season Three is superior but you're probably right about Season 2 have the best overall arc.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Season 2 may certainly be my favorite Buffy season. It was almost Shakespearian in its tragedy; yes, I went there.
    To me Season Three is superior but you're probably right about Season 2 have the best overall arc.

Yeah, it's a toss-up for me. Season three is more consistent and refined, but the second season's story arc and villains were the best the series ever had, in my opinion.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So it basically eschewed that conflict between the Powers that Be and Wolfram and Hart for crap. Not to mention the set up for Angel getting his humanity back in the first season is utterly forgotten midway through season 2, then in the last episode, the writers must have been finishing up and then gone "Shit, I forgot that was in there."

o_O Did you even watch the last two seasons?

They did come back to that, agreed, but I felt like Connor and Jasmine and all that really detracted from that conflict. In fact, thinking about it right now, the entire thing would have been a lot more palatable to me if Connor and Jasmine had never made an appearance.

But I've been reading "After the Fall" and I have to admit I find myself enjoying it a great deal.
    I think it would have been quite a bit better had Joss had the time he wanted to tie everything together. Getting the cancellation notice kicked his endgame into gear earlier than he would have liked.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aye, unlike Buffy, where they knew season seven was going to be the last, and turned it into a huge endgame season, they didn't know that with Angel. Having said that, a lot of the things they intended to do with Angel season six have been incorporated into After The Fall comics, which are actually really decent, and even better read in chronological order (First Night, Spike, Angel).

EddieDean on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    New clips from the pilot. Serious spoilers, you have been warned.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wait, what, the earlier seasons of Buffy are the weaker ones? I've just recently started( I have season one), and I think it's really well-done. The only episode I thought wasn't that good was the praying mantis episode, but all of the others were ace.

"I'm going to listen to country, the music of pain."

Or heck, the credits in the dummy episode is great.

So, am I in for an amazing show then?

(Yes, I know for a nerd I'm really late to the game, but I never actually really watched much of Whedon's work until Dr. Horrible.)

never die on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    never die wrote: »
    Wait, what, the earlier seasons of Buffy are the weaker ones? I've just recently started( I have season one), and I think it's really well-done. The only episode I thought wasn't that good was the praying mantis episode, but all of the others were ace.

(Yes, I know for a nerd I'm really late to the game, but I never actually really watched much of Whedon's work until Dr. Horrible.)
    The first season is much less cohesive than the others, and feels a lot more like a WB afterschool show than the rest of the series.

All in all, you're in for a damn good ride. All the way through Buffy and into Angel which you will inevitably decide you need to watch about 5 season in.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've been meaning to check out Buffy for ages, but just haven't gotten around to it. Seeing as I just picked up Lost, I doubt it'll happen anytime soon either, but perhaps one day.

Of the few episodes I've seen, I really enjoyed Once More With Feeling (the musical episode).

What's the title of "the silent one"? I've heard it's got some outstanding visual gags.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I believe it's called Hush.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I believe it's called Hush.

Yes, it's called "Hush" and it's in season 4.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

The first season is much less cohesive than the others, and feels a lot more like a WB afterschool show than the rest of the series.

All in all, you're in for a damn good ride. All the way through Buffy and into Angel which you will inevitably decide you need to watch about 5 season in.

From what I heard, the reason for that could be because it was brought in as a mid-season ad on or something. I still thought it was great. Kind of sad about the master's death though, I thought he was a great villian.

Luke's death completely caught me off guard too. I thought he would stick around longer.

never die on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I actually like the first season a lot. About half of the monster of the week episodes are pretty spotty, but "Prophecy Girl" is still among my favorite Buffy episodes.

Seasons 2 and 3 of Buffy are the best, though, in my opinion. And the final season is the pits in terms of the main storyline (which consumes most of the season).

OremLK on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, season 1 is by no means bad, it just doesn't hold a candle to the second and third seasons.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, season 1 is by no means bad, it just doesn't hold a candle to the second and third seasons.
    Hey, I don't mean to diss season one. It's still good tv, and it's got Sarah Michelle back when she was still cute.

Luckily Willow picked up the torch after Buffy got all skinny.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009

Yeah, it's a toss-up for me. Season three is more consistent and refined, but the second season's story arc and villains were the best the series ever had, in my opinion.

Spike and Dru were the best pair.

The Spike-Dru-Angelus "love" triangle and their interplay was fantastic.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

From what I heard, the reason for that could be because it was brought in as a mid-season ad on or something. I still thought it was great. Kind of sad about the master's death though, I thought he was a great villian.

Luke's death completely caught me off guard too. I thought he would stick around longer.
    Man if you thought Season One had great villains just wait. I mean don't get me wrong, the Master was cool but he is at best the 4th best season villain on Buffy.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hey, I don't mean to diss season one. It's still good tv, and it's got Sarah Michelle back when she was still cute.

Luckily Willow picked up the torch after Buffy got all whiny.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The best episode ever is Once More, With Feeling.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

OMWF, Hush, and The Body are my Buffy trifecta.

I'm also a huge fan of The Zeppo, but for different reasons.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »

Seems like a good selection to me. The Body is probably my personal favorite. Other top-notch "serious" ones:

Prophecy Girl
    Surprise/Innocence (two-parter)
    Becoming Parts 1 & 2
    Amends
    Restless
    The Gift

Those are probably pretty close to my top ten. Not sure what the tenth would be. Storyteller, maybe, just to have one from the seventh season in there, but that's mostly lighter fare.

OremLK on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Aye, S2 and S3 have an actual story arc. S1's only problem is a few "eh" episodes well it gets on it's feet and the fact that the Master story arc (and that stupid Anointed One) doesn't do much. It's still great TV though and there's still actual character development and everything. Quite impressive for a first season imo.

also, I love the Master. He just seems like he's having so much FUN being evil.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    shryke wrote: »

Aye, S2 and S3 have an actual story arc. S1's only problem is a few "eh" episodes well it gets on it's feet and the fact that the Master story arc (and that stupid Anointed One) doesn't do much. It's still great TV though and there's still actual character development and everything. Quite impressive for a first season imo.

also, I love the Master. He just seems like he's having so much FUN being evil.

Well, Buffy never fought him at full strength, did she? I don't remember if he was during that episode or not. But with his strength, you can afford to have fun.

And the Annointed One was such a flop. He is built up for a full episode, then in the background of a few others, and then leads Buffy to the Master. While she knew he was the Annointed One. Such a bust.

never die on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What the hell does the thread title refer to?

Anybody who didn't already know the answer to that didn't deserve to know.

I'm going to watch the fuck out of this right up until the day it's canceled.

EDIT: Also day-am there's some serious spoilers up in this mug. I mean, Buffy and Angel are old and all but...day-am.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Seems like a good selection to me. The Body is probably my personal favorite. Other top-notch "serious" ones:

Prophecy Girl
    Becoming Parts 1 & 2
    Amends
    Restless
    The Gift

Those are probably pretty close to my top ten. Not sure what the tenth would be. Storyteller, maybe, just to have one from the seventh season in there, but that's mostly lighter fare.
    Conversations With Dead People is my favorite episode from season 7, that was back when the First was actually cool though.

Buffy did fight and kill the Master at full strength when he arose, that whole thing was weird though because somehow after he killed her and she came back she was immune to his powers in a way that never ended up getting explored or explained.

Neaden on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Neaden wrote: »

Prophecy Girl
    Becoming Parts 1 & 2
    Amends
    Restless
    The Gift

Conversations With Dead People is my favorite episode from season 7, that was back when the First was actually cool though.

Buffy did fight and kill the Master at full strength when he arose, that whole thing was weird though because somehow after he killed her and she came back she was immune to his powers in a way that never ended up getting explored or explained.
    Semi angel spoiler
    Theres plent from season 1 thats pretty much non-canon (angel drinks human blood packs, the constant evolving look and nature of the vampires), and lots of other stuff thats clear if they knew they had a longer show and a spin off coming up they wouldnt have done (kill off Darla, for example).

Prohass on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    I had to kill the nifty title to add a spoiler warning.

So sorry.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

So sorry.

This was probably for the best.

Because, seriously, day-am.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also season 1 of buffy is missing one important thing
    Spike

Prohass on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

So sorry.

This was probably for the best.

Because, seriously, day-am.

What was it before? Reply in a spoiler, obviously.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Prohass wrote: »
    Spike

I always forget about that. Like, it's hard to even imagine. I'll be watching the first season, and be all wondering "where the fuck is Spike?"

EDIT: It was "Joss Wheden does the dance of cancellation," referring to an Angel episode. Then people filled the thread with Buffy/Angel/Firefly spoilers (maybe some Dr. Horrible as well) like it was going out of style.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Spike

I always forget about that. Like, it's hard to even imagine. I'll be watching the first season, and be all wondering "where the fuck is Spike?"

EDIT: It was "Joss Wheden does the dance of cancellation," referring to an Angel episode. Then people filled the thread with Buffy/Angel/Firefly spoilers (maybe some Dr. Horrible as well) like it was going out of style.

Ah, so the thread's title wasn't itself a spoiler, like "Elisa Dushku's character is made of chocolate" or whatnot.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Neaden wrote: »

Prophecy Girl
    Becoming Parts 1 & 2
    Amends
    Restless
    The Gift

Semi angel spoiler
    Theres plent from season 1 thats pretty much non-canon (angel drinks human blood packs, the constant evolving look and nature of the vampires), and lots of other stuff thats clear if they knew they had a longer show and a spin off coming up they wouldnt have done (kill off Darla, for example).
    Bah, killing Darla worked out great. Led to the best season arc of any of the shows in Angel S2.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

So sorry.

Quite understandable.

OremLK on
  • Options
    LizardLizard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhpmKSMphfw
    If FOX is cross-promoting, I'm cross-posting :3

Lizard on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That is awesome. I'll slap it in the OP.

This is already crushing the advertising they did for Firefly, which was a joke (in a bad way).

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If they really want to cross pollenate, I'd buy any DVD they put out with River on Faith action on it.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Reminder bump for tonight. If you've got a DVR/Tivo/etc it probably wouldn't hurt to set this to record

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Reminder bump for tonight. If you've got a DVR/Tivo/etc it probably wouldn't hurt to set this to record

My stupid cable company doesn't get FOX in HD. But my rabbit ears do. So no DVR for me.

And my loins are burning for some Dollhouse in HD.

mcdermott on
This discussion has been closed.