As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mormons are fucking prompt

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    The real problem here is people getting benefits for being married. Fuck that noise.

well... yeah

but there do need to be legal provisions vis a vis any offspring

Legal provisions that outline the responsibility of the offspring's parents and/or legal guardians. Not husbands and wives.

It covers adoption as well, correct?

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    also you gotta give obi props, dude is pretty composed for being the center of all our liberal malice right now

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dubh wrote: »
    The real problem here is people getting benefits for being married. Fuck that noise.

well... yeah

Legal provisions that outline the responsibility of the offspring's parents and/or legal guardians. Not husbands and wives.

It covers adoption as well, correct?

When you adopt you become a legal guardian, no?

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Belruel wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    but all of this is useless masturbation anyways, anything i say won't convince you, because you have your eyes firmly shut, feeling righteous in your cause, and that what you are offering is fair.

it's the same with my extended family, i was furious when they donated money to the yes on 8 campaign, but their church leaders sent down the command, and they, like a nice little flock, go and obey without thinking it out logically. but nothing i say will make them look at it with a fair even view, they are far too skewed.

it makes me very very sad.

That bolded phrase is an impossibility.

I personally don't feel like my eyes are shut. I am very much a free thinker (Philosophy major) and welcome any viewpoints. I don't think I have been unreasonable or illogical in my statements so I'm not sure why you are comparing me to sheep, but whatev. Regardless, thanks for the convo and for not getting pissed off. Most people just get all angry when having any sort of debate.

this is a very touchy subject that i am invested in on several fronts, so i get passionate about it, but i don't believe in hating someone just because they have an opposite view. and i grew up mormon so i know how large the stress upon the family is, so i can at least understand where your views are rooted in, even if i think they are very wrong, especially if you attempt to think of it logically and take all faith out of the equation.

and our laws and civil rights should not be based upon matters of faith.

and at least you didn't ask me straight out if i am a baby killer like my friend who just got back from his mission a few months ago did. hahahaha

Wait? ARE you a baby killer?

I understand your situation of having family that are members and you aren't. It sucks your family isn't cool about it. My brother is no longer a member of the church and our family still loves and accepts him for what makes him, him. The LDS church certainly doesn't teach exclusion and I'm sorry you have one of "those" mormon families.

As far as laws and civil rights not being based on faith, aren't many of our laws based on religious ones? Thats a hard line to draw also considering that a majority of this country believes in a god or belongs to some sort of faith. And considering we are the ones that make the laws according to our own conscience, most laws and civil rights WILL be based on some sort of faith until the majority of the country is no longer religious.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

well... yeah

True, but in many states if the biologically mother/father of the child dies that persons family can sue and get custody of the child regardless of whether or not stipulations were made for the partner to be guardian. The fact that many states deny gay couples the right to adopt complicates this.

Added: There have also been cases where in a relationship the child and parent (nonbiological) have bonded and are in a parent-child relationship the relationship ends and the nonbiological parent has been denied visitation or custody of the child because they have no legal right to it in many states.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Marathon wrote: »
    Obi, why should your definition of marriage apply to people who aren't Mormon?

Trying this a 2nd time.

I responded last time with:

"Fair enough.

What's an ideal you find important in your life?"

and to take it a bit further:

Why should your ideals apply to people who aren't you?

I'm not advocating "my ideals" but I do believe that citizens of the United States are all afforded equal rights by the Constitution. And while marriage is not specifically in the Bill of Rights, marriages are recognized by the U.S. Government and even if you get married in a church you must still file the necessary paperwork with the government for it to be a legally recognized marriage.

This being the case I don't feel that it's right, or even constitutional for gay couples to be denied the right to get legally married at a court of law or even in a church that agrees to perform the ceremony. I respect the right of any religious organization to refuse to perform a wedding to gay couples, because it's their right to do so according to the Constitution.

Marathon on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DO YOU LIKE YOUR HARDCORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-RR-RR-RR-RRR-RRR-RRE
    *dancemusic*

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

well... yeah

True, but in many states if the biologically mother/father of the child dies that persons family can sue and get custody of the child regardless of whether or not stipulations were made for the partner to be guardian. The fact that many states deny gay couples the right to adopt complicates this.

Added: There have also been cases where after a long relationship and the child and parent (nonbiological) have bonded and are in a parent-child relationship the relationship ends and the nonbiological parent has been denied visitation or custody of the child because they have no legal right to it in many states.

Does allowing gays to marry really fix this issue? Sounds like another battle entirely. But again being able to adopt children isn't a civil right either.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    also you gotta give obi props, dude is pretty composed for being the center of all our liberal malice right now

Some people can thrive in the center of melee. If he can come up with a logical reason for denying gay marriage, then I'll be impressed.

And when the hell did I start being this combative?

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mysst wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    They aren't dictating they're voting.

Yeah, they are voting to deny equal rights to a minority. Which is wrong.

Morally wrong to you but not illegal. Look I think it sucks too but prop 8 passed democratically so unless it contradicts Cali's constitution no "dictating" took place here.

Not illegal, just unconstitutional. So hopefully it gets overturned.

Civil rights should never be left up to vote. The minority will always loose.

Discrimination by majority vote doesn't make discrimination right. It's still discrimination.

Prop 8 should have never ever exsisted.

Except marriage isn't a civil right. You need state approval and a license for it.

I need state approval and license to drive, vote, and teach too, and anyone can do those things.

I am opposed to Gay Driving.

It is not what God intended when he invented the automobile.
    cars are not for dancing

And what if I get into a horrible car wreck and the other driver had AIDS, and his blood gets on me?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    but all of this is useless masturbation anyways, anything i say won't convince you, because you have your eyes firmly shut, feeling righteous in your cause, and that what you are offering is fair.

it's the same with my extended family, i was furious when they donated money to the yes on 8 campaign, but their church leaders sent down the command, and they, like a nice little flock, go and obey without thinking it out logically. but nothing i say will make them look at it with a fair even view, they are far too skewed.

I personally don't feel like my eyes are shut. I am very much a free thinker (Philosophy major) and welcome any viewpoints. I don't think I have been unreasonable or illogical in my statements so I'm not sure why you are comparing me to sheep, but whatev. Regardless, thanks for the convo and for not getting pissed off. Most people just get all angry when having any sort of debate.

this is a very touchy subject that i am invested in on several fronts, so i get passionate about it, but i don't believe in hating someone just because they have an opposite view. and i grew up mormon so i know how large the stress upon the family is, so i can at least understand where your views are rooted in, even if i think they are very wrong, especially if you attempt to think of it logically and take all faith out of the equation.

and at least you didn't ask me straight out if i am a baby killer like my friend who just got back from his mission a few months ago did. hahahaha

I understand your situation of having family that are members and you aren't. It sucks your family isn't cool about it. My brother is no longer a member of the church and our family still loves and accepts him for what makes him, him. The LDS church certainly doesn't teach exclusion and I'm sorry you have one of "those" mormon families.

As far as laws and civil rights not being based on faith, aren't many of our laws based on religious ones? Thats a hard line to draw also considering that a majority of this country believes in a god or belongs to some sort of faith. And considering we are the ones that make the laws according to our own conscience, most laws and civil rights WILL be based on some sort of faith until the majority of the country is no longer religious.

oh no, my immediate family is just like me, though i did do it first was was pretty scared for a while.

it's the mormon relatives, and my dad's side.

my dad is pretty great, he showed me a source that helped sever any last doubts that i might have held that i was doing the wrong thing by going atheist (though he is an agnostic). it is great finally having someone to discuss it all with

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Many moons ago, I was working a bar gig where I wouldn't get out until 4 or 5 in the morning; one Saturday, my girlfriend let me know that she had a yoga class the following day and would like some after class sex at eight or nine before we went out for Sunday Brunch. I'm thinking this is a winning hand and I can't lose. Saturday night, I work my shift, get home around 4:30, start some laundry, eat some chow (nothing on my stomach in fourteen hours) and rack out for a couple of hours before the lady gets there. Alarm goes off, I hop in the shower, hop out and make a jack and coke while lighting a smoke.

Who's that knocking at the door? I believe that would pussy, my friends.

I decide to open the door as I was, dripping with dew, towel artfully knotted to accentuate my package, cigarette in my mouth, cocktail in one hand and bottle of booze in the other.

"Well, hello there, Elders; I believe you may have the wrong house."

"I believe you may be right, sir. Have a blessed day."

This is the point where timing is everything: my girl walks up the stairs right as these guys are leaving and takes the whole situation in stride.

"Oh, good, you're awake; Let's get inside. Oh, (looks at the Mormons) you may leave now."

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    also yeah i totally kill babies

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

well... yeah

Added: There have also been cases where after a long relationship and the child and parent (nonbiological) have bonded and are in a parent-child relationship the relationship ends and the nonbiological parent has been denied visitation or custody of the child because they have no legal right to it in many states.

Does allowing gays to marry really fix this issue? Sounds like another battle entirely. But again being able to adopt children isn't a civil right either.

The real issue is that being gay isn't really a reason to bar anyone from anything.

(Other than giving blood. It may not be PC, but the statistics of it apparently make sense.)

Evander on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

oh no, my immediate family is just like me, though i did do it first was was pretty scared for a while.

my dad is pretty great, he showed me a source that helped sever any last doubts that i might have held that i was doing the wrong thing by going atheist (though he is an agnostic). it is great finally having someone to discuss it all with

Surprised Obi didn't catch that, earlier. Then again, it was around 10 pages ago.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

well... yeah

The states that allow gay marriage also (usually, I can't say always) allow adoption by gay couples. Then the nonbio parent can adopt the child and, at least in states that allow it, be recognized as a parent and have a right to custody and visitation. This also affords them protection from out-of-state relatives of the bio parent who might try and take custody of the child from the nonbio parent should the bio-parent die. They are then protected by the state.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

you told me our baby ran away and joined the circus D:

Quoth on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    stop posting so fast fuck

Weaver on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    bel i'm having a canadian gay marriage satanist retreat next month, you should come, sacrifice some orphans

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Morally wrong to you but not illegal. Look I think it sucks too but prop 8 passed democratically so unless it contradicts Cali's constitution no "dictating" took place here.

Discrimination by majority vote doesn't make discrimination right. It's still discrimination.

Except marriage isn't a civil right. You need state approval and a license for it.

I need state approval and license to drive, vote, and teach too, and anyone can do those things.

You do not need a license to vote you just need to register. Driving and teaching are not rights but privileges that certainly not anyone can do.

But it still applies. No where in any constitution does it lay out that marriage is a "right" but by your definition would be a privilege as well.

You seem to view it as a religious institution, making it a First Amendment right of anyone to practice marriage as they see fit.

If you seriously think it's ok to then have a legal institution surrounding it that gives credence to one type of ceremony and not another, then you don't understand or are unaware of the Establishment Clause.

edit: this is all a thought experiment anyway, the aim of which is to kick religion out of the debate, after which homophobes find themselves without a square inch of ground to stand on.

the point is you can't have it both ways. Either you are defending your sacred traditional institution and therefore good for you, we're defending this other progressive one and you can fuck right off trying to legislate otherwise, or you are just a bigot who thinks gay people are gross.

Ready for the obligatory statement of the thread? Here goes: I used to work under a gay man and had two gay co-workers. We hung out ALL the time. They were good dudes. I have nothing against them as people.

My statement about the whole rights thing is fairly unfounded, it was just a logical statement based on what I was responding to. Based on your knowledge, I was wrong, seeing as how I do know nothing about the Establishment Clause (D:).

The reality is that the sacred institution of marriage is important to me and, apparrently, the majority of california. Since we live and dictate the laws of the country through voting, beliefs are going to creep into the legislation. Just a fact of life. So until the majority don't find it important, marriage will only be between a man and woman because of democracy. Now civil unions, that would pass in a heartbeat and give homosexuals the same rights. I say we try to make it a federal thing while we are at it.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    i am so there ori hahaha

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Many moons ago, I was working a bar gig where I wouldn't get out until 4 or 5 in the morning; one Saturday, my girlfriend let me know that she had a yoga class the following day and would like some after class sex at eight or nine before we went out for Sunday Brunch. I'm thinking this is a winning hand and I can't lose. Saturday night, I work my shift, get home around 4:30, start some laundry, eat some chow (nothing on my stomach in fourteen hours) and rack out for a couple of hours before the lady gets there. Alarm goes off, I hop in the shower, hop out and make a jack and coke while lighting a smoke.

I decide to open the door as I was, dripping with dew, towel artfully knotted to accentuate my package, cigarette in my mouth, cocktail in one hand and bottle of booze in the other.

This is the point where timing is everything: my girl walks up the stairs right as these guys are leaving and takes the whole situation in stride.

"Oh, good, you're awake; Let's get inside. Oh, (looks at the Mormons) you may leave now."

My father's schtick when mormons, or anyone else who comes a-proslytizin', is to point at the mezzuzah on our door post, and say "this means you don't come here."

Evander on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Surprised Obi didn't catch that, earlier. Then again, it was around 10 pages ago.

aww yeah pastmormonHIGH5

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

You do not need a license to vote you just need to register. Driving and teaching are not rights but privileges that certainly not anyone can do.

But it still applies. No where in any constitution does it lay out that marriage is a "right" but by your definition would be a privilege as well.

You seem to view it as a religious institution, making it a First Amendment right of anyone to practice marriage as they see fit.

If you seriously think it's ok to then have a legal institution surrounding it that gives credence to one type of ceremony and not another, then you don't understand or are unaware of the Establishment Clause.

edit: this is all a thought experiment anyway, the aim of which is to kick religion out of the debate, after which homophobes find themselves without a square inch of ground to stand on.

the point is you can't have it both ways. Either you are defending your sacred traditional institution and therefore good for you, we're defending this other progressive one and you can fuck right off trying to legislate otherwise, or you are just a bigot who thinks gay people are gross.

Ready for the obligatory statement of the thread? Here goes: I used to work under a gay man and had two gay co-workers. We hung out ALL the time. They were good dudes. I have nothing against them as people.

My statement about the whole rights thing is fairly unfounded, it was just a logical statement based on what I was responding to. Based on your knowledge, I was wrong, seeing as how I do know nothing about the Establishment Clause (D:).

The reality is that the sacred institution of marriage is important to me and, apparrently, the majority of california. Since we live and dictate the laws of the country through voting, beliefs are going to creep into the legislation. Just a fact of life. So until the majority don't find it important, marriage will only be between a man and woman because of democracy. Now civil unions, that would pass in a heartbeat and give homosexuals the same rights. I say we try to make it a federal thing while we are at it.

So anything is okay as long as it's not legislated to be not okay?

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited February 2009
    I used to work under a gay man and had two gay co-workers. We hung out ALL the time. They were good dudes. I have nothing against them as people.

I have black friends. That doesn't mean that I can run around saying the n-word.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    i'm always nice to the dudes who come door-to-door proselytizing

just because i don't share their faith doesn't mean that i gotta be a dick

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The real issue is that being gay isn't really a reason to bar anyone from anything.

(Other than giving blood. It may not be PC, but the statistics of it apparently make sense.)

Oh I agree. But in this case they are moral arguments not civil rights arguments. People just need to choose their words more carefully. Throwing the term "civil right" where it does not really apply hurts your argument it doesn't help it.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

you told me our baby ran away and joined the circus D:

It did.
    3354325-lg.jpg

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Confirmation bias.

"Thou shalt not kill" is in the Bible. It's also a useful law to have on the books to keep society functioning. Doesn't mean we got it from the bible.

We are not meant to make laws based on faith. We're meant to make laws for the reasons laid clear in the Constitution: to provide for the common good and ensure the public safety. Thus we do not have laws banning adultery, or promiscuity, because neither conflict with those ends. The legal institution of marriage is to provide people who want to become partners legal rights to become as family, and to provide for the raising of children. Since there's no reason gay marriages cannot do either of those things, and in no way does it harm the common good or threaten public safety, there's no justification for bigotry in the law.

Sure, as long as the majority of the country is somehow religious, we'll keep making laws based on faith, whether the Constitution prescribes them or not, but those laws have no place in a secular government.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    i am so there ori hahaha

you bring the lamb's blood, i'll bring callius

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I used to work under a gay man and had two gay co-workers. We hung out ALL the time. They were good dudes. I have nothing against them as people.

I have black friends. That doesn't mean that I can run around saying the n-word.

Then why have them?

Butters on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

So it's ok for the majority to decide what minorities can and cannot do?

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    noooooo @ clwon baby

yesssss @ blood and callius

(gross blood)

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

My father's schtick when mormons, or anyone else who comes a-proslytizin', is to point at the mezzuzah on our door post, and say "this means you don't come here."

Stare them dead in the eye

Then when it's good and uncomfortable say slowly and clearly "Hail Satan"

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

aww yeah pastmormonHIGH5

8p39.jpg

For some reason, Darth, you appear in my mind looking exactly like Nick Fury.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    'I can't be homophobic, my best friends are gay.' is a crappy argument.

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Oh, well, nvm then. Still sucks for extended family to be crappy. But thats with any family, really, and for a myriad of different reasons.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i'm always nice to the dudes who come door-to-door proselytizing

just because i don't share their faith doesn't mean that i gotta be a dick

yes it does!

OOOHHH I HATE THEM SO MUCH

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DW why do you love to hurt me

also i'm not sure why marriage legislation gets to be put up for a vote

nobody got to vote on whether to free slaves, did they?

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    DID SOMEBODY SAY SOMETHING ABOUT GAYS AND MORMONS?!?
    400x600_mg2006_kissing_mormons.jpg

Darth Waiter on
This discussion has been closed.