As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Give me back that fillet-o-fish! (Lent thread)

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You know how I knew lent was coming? When I saw ads for McDonald's fillet-o-fish.

I am being serious.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Jesus never bled wine. Catholics believe that the wine is "transubstantiated" into his blood during the consecration. This is a literal belief and is almost certainly the most ridiculous thing about Catholicism.

Nobody actually believes we are drinking real blood.

It is religious symbolism and nothing more.

fucking of course Jesus did not bleed wine.

He bled Jamaican Rum actually. Remnants of it were found on the head of the spear of destiny.

Recent archeological finds near the historical Golgotha have determined that Jesus was not actually crucified as the Bible depicts

rather he was devoured alive by the Apostles in the moments immediately following the last supper because, ironically, he was just tasty as hell.

sarukun on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Fallout wrote: »
    the only thing that makes an atheist an atheist is a disbelief in a god
    the only thing that makes a theist a theist is a belief in a god

HOLY SHIT LOOK WHAT I DID THERE

PEOPLE ARE MORE THAN THEIR RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION

MORE AT 11

i didn't..........

i give up

(still love you though)

If you concede this point, then I don't understand why you're being condescending/angry toward religious belief.

My point with the Stalin thing was that people don't need religion to do heinous shit, and saying that heinous shit is worse when committed by religious nuts is hells of retarded.

honestly the main thing that really bugs me is that people believe in things like jesus coming back from the dead or praying works and things like that that are to my eyes clearly impossible

i mean why would anyone believe in something they don't have a reason to believe in?

if i didn't pick fights i wouldn't get to enjoy sarukun being a dumpy dipshit

jk lol

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You know how I knew lent was coming? When I saw ads for McDonald's fillet-o-fish.

I am being serious.

Bahahaha, nice.

sarukun on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    oh hey a religious thread

oh sweet someone being a condescending asshole towards religious beliefs

glad things are right on track

yeah, but religious people deserve it. :p

you fucking monster

there are soup kitchens here!!!

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jesus never bled wine. Catholics believe that the wine is "transubstantiated" into his blood during the consecration. This is a literal belief and is almost certainly the most ridiculous thing about Catholicism.

Nobody actually believes we are drinking real blood.

It is religious symbolism and nothing more.

fucking of course Jesus did not bleed wine.

He bled Jamaican Rum actually. Remnants of it were found on the head of the spear of destiny.

Recent archeological finds near the historical Golgotha have determined that Jesus was not actually crucified as the Bible depicts

rather he was devoured alive by the Apostles in the moments immediately following the last supper because, ironically, he was just tasty as hell.

[Zombie Last Supper image goes here]

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Shut up.

Look, dude, I went to Catholic school for thirteen years, can't you let me feel like the reams of sacramental knowledge I have are of some use to anyone, anywhere, ever?

If in Catholic school they taught you that you drink actual blood every Sunday because of magic, then I posit you did not actually go to Catholic school.

I'm pretty sure that literal transubstantiation is actual Catholic doctrine, actually. It was a big sticking point during the protestant reformation.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

i mean why would anyone believe in something they don't have a reason to believe in?

Maybe it's just me, but "you are not temporary, you have an immortal soul, you have a creator that loves you, and if you are a good person you will live forever with him in perfect happiness" seems pretty goddamn persuasive.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is the fillet-o-fish real? I mean, I am in a city and I have never seen one on a damn menu here

Maybe SF hates the fillet-o-fish

Is it white guilt?

White guilt has destroyed the fillet-o-fish

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Maybe it's just me, but "you are not temporary, you have an immortal soul, you have a creator that loves you, and if you are a good person you will live forever with him in perfect happiness" seems pretty goddamn persuasive.

i think what is true is more important than what is comforting

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    oh hey a religious thread

oh sweet someone being a condescending asshole towards religious beliefs

glad things are right on track

yeah, but religious people deserve it. :p

I do not

meanie face

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Shut up.

Look, dude, I went to Catholic school for thirteen years, can't you let me feel like the reams of sacramental knowledge I have are of some use to anyone, anywhere, ever?

If in Catholic school they taught you that you drink actual blood every Sunday because of magic, then I posit you did not actually go to Catholic school.

I'm pretty sure that literal transubstantiation is actual Catholic doctrine, actually. It was a big sticking point during the protestant reformation.

Yeah, but see Christians are allowed to pick and choose which parts of their doctrine are literal and which are interpretive.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Shut up.

Bethany wrote:
    Remind me to try that water-to-wine thing at my next wedding.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dely Apple wrote: »
    Is the fillet-o-fish real? I mean, I am in a city and I have never seen one on a damn menu here

Maybe SF hates the fillet-o-fish

Is it white guilt?

White guilt has destroyed the fillet-o-fish

I really don't know but yes the fillet-o-fish sandwich is very real. It's been around for decades.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    the only thing that makes an atheist an atheist is a disbelief in a god
    the only thing that makes a theist a theist is a belief in a god

HOLY SHIT LOOK WHAT I DID THERE

PEOPLE ARE MORE THAN THEIR RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION

MORE AT 11

i didn't..........

i give up

(still love you though)

If you concede this point, then I don't understand why you're being condescending/angry toward religious belief.

My point with the Stalin thing was that people don't need religion to do heinous shit, and saying that heinous shit is worse when committed by religious nuts is hells of retarded.

honestly the main thing that really bugs me is that people believe in things like jesus coming back from the dead or praying works and things like that that are to my eyes clearly impossible

Because it makes them feel good? Because it's a part of their culture? Because it helps them look for meaning in their own lives?

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I would agree, man. Try to put yourself in someone else's shoes; if you were brought up from the day you were born to believe this was true, you would almost certainly believe it. And once you have fully initiated yourself into that belief, along with the entire worldwide group of people that will continuously validate you, it can be pretty hard to flip a switch and go "Oh wait, that's all a lie, life is actually random, and I am going to die one day, forever."

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited February 2009

Now you're just being small minded.

People that subscribe to a set of religious beliefs have any number of reasons to believe. Solid, actual, secular, social, cultural reasons that you probably aren't in much of a position to understand, let alone judge.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Shut up.

Yeah, but see Christians are allowed to pick and choose which parts of their doctrine are literal and which are interpretive.

Sure you are allowed to do so, but if you don't believe in transubstantiation, you aren't Catholic.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited February 2009

1) Why?

2) Empirical evidence isn't the only kind of inquiry humans make into their lives and surroundings, and holding only to empirical evidence when making decisions or thinking about the universe strikes many people as unfulfilling.

Saying that it shouldn't strike them as unfulfilling is kinda missing the point.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Because it makes them feel good? Because it's a part of their culture? Because it helps them look for meaning in their own lives?

culture i can understand, people ain't always got access to knowledge beyond what they're raised with

but when you have no excuse not to know that people do not magically come back from the dead, that the idea of a person transmuting food with a touch is so unlikely as to be beyond the realm of consideration, i mean....

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I would agree, man. Try to put yourself in someone else's shoes; if you were brought up from the day you were born to believe this was true, you would almost certainly believe it. And once you have fully initiated yourself into that belief, along with the entire worldwide group of people that will continuously validate you, it can be pretty hard to flip a switch and go "Oh wait, that's all a lie, life is actually random, and I am going to die one day, forever."

"What is true" is a Goddamned loaded phrase to begin with.

If you're talking about "what is factual" that's one thing. "What is true" is a bullshit sentence that Man has wrestled with since the dawn of civilization, and some snot-nosed teenager with a total lack of respect for differeing points of view isn't about to break any new ground there.

sarukun on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So long as you don't attempt to foist your beliefs upon me, I'm all about live and let live. Someone wants to believe in religion, that's up to them and all the power to them, right up until they start using it as an excuse to infringe upon my own rights.

I was raised Catholic and, over time, came to become more agnostic than anything else. I don't believe that whether God does or does not exist is really all that important of a question, since I've always felt that you should treat other people well regardless of if there's some big cosmic balance sheet. If it helps people to believe in an afterlife and such, however, all the power to them.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited February 2009

culture i can understand, people ain't always got access to knowledge beyond what they're raised with

but when you have no excuse not to know that people do not magically come back from the dead, that the idea of a person transmuting food with a touch is so unlikely as to be beyond the realm of consideration, i mean....

Fuck you. You don't have even a rudimentary understanding of the concept of "culture".

sarukun on
  • Options
    KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

1) Why?

2) Empirical evidence isn't the only kind of inquiry humans make into their lives and surroundings, and holding only to empirical evidence when making decisions or thinking about the universe strikes many people as unfulfilling.

Saying that it shouldn't strike them as unfulfilling is kinda missing the point.

The truth is the truth. Isn't that a good enough reason?

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ban all religion threads please

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Koolaidguy wrote: »

1) Why?

The truth is the truth. Isn't that a good enough reason?
    sarukun wrote:
    "What is true" is a Goddamned loaded phrase to begin with.

If you're talking about "what is factual" that's one thing. "What is true" is a bullshit sentence that Man has wrestled with since the dawn of civilization

I was honestly just looking to get a more in depth look at what fallout believes. I think it's interesting.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    today i am going to eat a fish fillet from wendy's instead of a burger

but not because of lent

i just like the fish fillet it's pretty good

Pony on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I suppose the great thing about Christianity is that if you are wrong, you'll never get to know.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    look what fallout believes in is anger and metal

there i just saved you some time

Pony on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pony wrote: »

also NUGZ

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I think everybody can get behind the gods of anger and metal.

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If anyone's interested in a really detailed explanation of Transubstantiation (the conversion of bread and wine into the Eucharist), check out this article at the Catholic Encyclopedia.

It's a subject that has had books devoted to it, and it's fairly complex in its philosophy. However, the basic idea is that the "essence" of the bread and wine is transformed, while the physical properties of the objects remain the same.
    Transubstantiation, however, is not a conversion simply so called, but a substantial conversion (conversio substantialis), inasmuch as one thing is substantially or essentially converted into another. Thus from the concept of Transubstantiation is excluded every sort of merely accidental conversion, whether it be purely natural (e.g. the metamorphosis of insects) or supernatural (e.g. the Transfiguration of Christ on Mount Tabor). Finally, Transubstantiation differs from every other substantial conversion in this, that only the substance is converted into another — the accidents remaining the same — just as would be the case if wood were miraculously converted into iron, the substance of the iron remaining hidden under the external appearance of the wood.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    These threads are always terrible.

And I have no idea what to give up. Fish?

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »
    If anyone's interested in a really detailed explanation of Transubstantiation (the conversion of bread and wine into the Eucharist), check out this article at the Catholic Encyclopedia.

It's a subject that has had books devoted to it, and it's fairly complex in its philosophy. However, the basic idea is that the "essence" of the bread and wine is transformed, while the physical properties of the objects remain the same.
    Transubstantiation, however, is not a conversion simply so called, but a substantial conversion (conversio substantialis), inasmuch as one thing is substantially or essentially converted into another. Thus from the concept of Transubstantiation is excluded every sort of merely accidental conversion, whether it be purely natural (e.g. the metamorphosis of insects) or supernatural (e.g. the Transfiguration of Christ on Mount Tabor). Finally, Transubstantiation differs from every other substantial conversion in this, that only the substance is converted into another — the accidents remaining the same — just as would be the case if wood were miraculously converted into iron, the substance of the iron remaining hidden under the external appearance of the wood.

That is a lot of words when you could just say "symbolism".

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

dude, i know religious people real life, i promise :p

yeah, like i said, it's difficult to blame someone for believing something that they were raised to believe

never said life was random, though

and death is hard to deal with. all the pets i've had that died, family members, my friends, all of them are dead and i will never see them again. i'm going to die, my parents are going to die, and so is every single other organism on the planet. eventually everything will die and the entire history of human accomplishment will be gone. it's really hard to deal with and i don't really know how, but I think that just telling yourself everything will be okay because you're going to see everyone you love again is taking the easy way out.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »

Which I guess is the same as saying that it doesn't change at all?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I gave up the word "fuck". Now I say smeg instead.

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »

also NUGZ

whoa now, let's be clear here

only the ultra-stanky-danky-dankiest nugz

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    These threads are always terrible.

And I have no idea what to give up. Fish?

Men.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You know what is pretty depressing?

Heat death.

NotASenator on