As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This thread failed 3 death saving throws. OH NOES

• Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have a question if someone would be kind enough to answer. I own a chessex battlemat and have used it for battles. However, I've been thinking of buying a few sets of the Dungeon Tiles Wotc sells. Has anyone used these for 4th ed, and if so, would you recommend them?

Yeah, they're just tile sets. Nothing edition specific about that and I've really enjoyed them when my dm's bust them out over the old battlemat.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have a question if someone would be kind enough to answer. I own a chessex battlemat and have used it for battles. However, I've been thinking of buying a few sets of the Dungeon Tiles Wotc sells. Has anyone used these for 4th ed, and if so, would you recommend them?

I got the quickstart kit which had some tiles in it. They weren't that great since they don't lock together. They tend to just slide around and not cooperate very well. On the other hand, it only came with a few tiles and tokens, so maybe someone else has a more authoritative opinion on them.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    EDIT: I did throw up a campaign backdrop over on the campaign creation thread (probably 2nd or 3rd page of this forum right now), if people are interested (i know dortmunder's been itching for a game too) I'd be willing to give DMing a PbP game a try

Yeah actually I don't know if I-- ooooEEEEEOOOOooo YES MENTOK I WOULD LOVE TO PLAY IN YOUR PBP GAME.

Seriously, I would

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dortmunder wrote: »
    Podcast GET!

Since I'm such a nice guy I put Episode 3 of the DnD podcast up on my site here:

Right-click and "Save As": http://www.thetreaclemine.com/get/dnd3.mp3

Don't kill my bandwidth or I won't be nice anymore :P

You rock like a hurricane.

Thank you sir

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pbp is where there isn't necessarily a specific time where we are all on playing, but it's just done casually as we post in the thread, correct?

I would love to play if you guys start up a new game and don't mind taking on a new guy.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd be interested, but I'm not all that experienced with DnD rules and frequently forget things. Didn't have any feats on my wizard in one game until level 3. <_<;

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I wouldn't say I'm very fluent in D&D, but I have the basics down from DMing a group of friends on a campaign over the course of a couple months.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Concerning Necromancers, if I were a betting man I'd say they were based around creating an Undead Swarm. They could raise dead from things they've killed and add them to the swarm, increasing the size and damage. The swarm would automatically attack enemies within or adjacent to it, acting as a single creature rather than a bunch of minions. Since each class seems to have multiple options, I'm also guessing they'll have the option of instead having a single powerful undead under their control that makes basic attacks and generally acts like a Fighter. In that way, it would be a Controller with the potential to be a Defender as well.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Has it been confirmed what Power Sources the PHB3 will have classes for? Isn't it Shadow, Ki, and Psionic?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Has it been confirmed what Power Sources the PHB3 will have classes for? Isn't it Shadow, Ki, and Psionic?

Those are the only sources left that have been revealed and not attached to a class. Monk is a May playtest, and I think PHBIII is out in July/August. I'm guessing those 3 power sources will show up in that book.

cytorak on
  • Options
    ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cytorak wrote: »

Those are the only sources left that have been revealed and not attached to a class. Monk is a May playtest, and I think PHBIII is out in July/August. I'm guessing those 3 power sources will show up in that book.

I thought the DMG II isn't due out until September, are you sure PHB III is coming that soon?

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    For those who were interested in getting their roll on. (D&D 4E PbP game recruiting)

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    Wolf in PajamasWolf in Pajamas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cytorak wrote: »

Wait, are you saying the PHBIII will be out this year?

Wolf in Pajamas on
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm calling BS.

Troy on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It sounds like he's greatly mistaken. Consider how long it's been since the first PHBII class preview was first released; it should take roughly that long until PHBIII comes out. probably longer considering how many of the PHBII classes are based either on existing 4e power sources or well-defined class archetypes from previous editions.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I actually read on Mike Mearls' blog that he recently finished work on the PHB3 (though that doesn't mean that there aren't other people working on it still).

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Holy nuts batman!
    Sorcerous Blade Channeling
    Prerequisite: Sorcerer
    Benefit: When you use any ranged sorcerer attack power through a dagger, you can use the power as a melee attack. If you do so, the power's range equals your melee reach.

That's awesome.

Yes, it really is. Another +3 or 4 (or more) to your normal attack is just ridiculous.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I actually read on Mike Mearls' blog that he recently finished work on the PHB3 (though that doesn't mean that there aren't other people working on it still).

Design is finished with PHBIII. Now begins the tedious and lengthy development phase. As for what will be in the book, we know at this point that the Monk will be in it, as a Ki something, as it will be a May playtest.

Using past performance as a guide, that means the PHB3 is out in Q1 2010 at the earliest.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Holy nuts batman!
    Benefit: When you use any ranged sorcerer attack power through a dagger, you can use the power as a melee attack. If you do so, the power's range equals your melee reach.

That's awesome.

Yes, it really is. Another +3 or 4 (or more) to your normal attack is just ridiculous.

I don't think it's that great. The extra damage is nice, but from what I know of sorcerer, you're basically the last class that should be anywhere near the front line. Maybe not as bad as warlocks... maybe.

Which is to say, I sure do wish I could use longspears with that.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Arkady wrote: »
    Holy nuts batman!

That's awesome.

I don't think it's that great. The extra damage is nice, but from what I know of sorcerer, you're basically the last class that should be anywhere near the front line. Maybe not as bad as warlocks... maybe.

It seems like its utility would be based on your particular game, but no matter what you're bound to get cornered from time to time, and not being stuck giving up an OA in those situations could be pretty dang nice.

Plus, then you could actually help flanking from time to time.

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Long live the thread!

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    For those who were interested in getting their roll on. (D&D 4E PbP game recruiting)

Of course you have to start the thread when I'm at college all day. Grargh.

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Arkan wrote: »

You've got plenty of time (till Tuesday) to make something up and submit it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Arkan wrote: »

You've got plenty of time (till Tuesday) to make something up and submit it.

I know, but it's the principle of the thing!

Arkan on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arkady wrote: »
    Holy nuts batman!

That's awesome.

It seems like its utility would be based on your particular game, but no matter what you're bound to get cornered from time to time, and not being stuck giving up an OA in those situations could be pretty dang nice.

Plus, then you could actually help flanking from time to time.

Except that it doesn't let you use it as a basic melee attack, so it has no effect on a crappy OA. Correct?

Also, where does the extra +3 or 4 come from?

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Hmmm... I'm kind of interested, since all I can do is DM locally. But I've never tried D&D over the tubes. Will it be easy to figure out as I go or should I perhaps watch your thread and wait for another later?

Edit: I probably should've posted this in the other thread, eh.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »

Except that it doesn't let you use it as a basic melee attack, so it has no effect on a crappy OA. Correct?

I meant you could use your ranged spells on the cornering guys without eliciting an OA (something my younger, forgetful brother has a tendency to do).

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I meant you could use your ranged spells on the cornering guys without eliciting an OA (something my younger, forgetful brother has a tendency to do).

Oooh, yeah, good point.

I'm still confused by the "other +3 or 4" though.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think I missed something here... When equipping any melee versatile weapon two handed, my AC goes down by two. In the Misc column of my AC, it is showing +1 two handed and +3 one handed. I can't seem to find anything relating to it in my book. Any help?

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    I think I missed something here... When equipping any melee versatile weapon two handed, my AC goes down by two. In the Misc column of my AC, it is showing +1 two handed and +3 one handed. I can't seem to find anything relating to it in my book. Any help?

It's part of being a...swordmage? i think. just a class feature. +1 AC for using a blade, +3 for using one that's 1-handed, IIRC

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

It's part of being a...swordmage? i think. just a class feature. +1 AC for using a blade, +3 for using one that's 1-handed, IIRC

Oh. Nice btw. Way to pick that shit out without all the information.

I'm making a Swordmage for your campaign. Heh.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Oh. Nice btw. Way to pick that shit out without all the information.

I'm making a Swordmage for your campaign. Heh.

It's also a free action to change the "handed-ness" of your weapon, so you can two-hand it for attacks and one-hand it otherwise. It's silly.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Man, it seems like the authors of the most prominent DnD blogs have all gotten advance copes of the PHB2: Critical Hits, Critical Ankle Bites, Musings of the Chatty DM...

I want PHB2 now!

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Oooh, yeah, good point.

I'm still confused by the "other +3 or 4" though.

I think hes talking about the proficiency bonus from the dagger, but I have no idea if that would actually apply.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't think it would. At least, were I DMing I don't think I'd let it. I think it's adequate enough of a feat as is.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyone notice the new banner add? They really know where their fans are.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It changes the range to melee attack, but it wouldn't add the Weapon keyword to the power, thus I'd rule no-go on Proficiency bonus.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Listening to the third podcast right now. I just want to yell at the Avenger:

"ADD YOUR PROFICIENCY BONUS!"

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It lets you use your ranged attacks as a melee attack, effectively reducing them to melee range.

It does not give you the weapon keyword as a part of the power, so you don't add your weapons proficiency bonus.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Listening to the third podcast right now. I just want to yell at the Avenger:

"ADD YOUR PROFICIENCY BONUS!"

Yeah, its funny that neither Wheaton nor Tycho add up things properly. I mean, he uses healing word but he does not add his wisdom bonus to healing. Though, in Tycho's case, it is easy to miss.

Mithrandir86 on
This discussion has been closed.