Options

The Big Street Fighter Tournament thread *Sign ups are closed*

• Options
    James DekkJames Dekk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Suicide seems fun but I'm worried about the rules being a bit complicated. I mean, we had a hard time keeping a normal single-elimination tournament running smoothly over time. How about something a bit simpler like random selection?

I like the idea of picking your opponent's character too, but we'd need a third party to accept the selections to avoid counter-picks.

I'm really excited about teams though. Those are always a blast.

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wrong thread woo!

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    uha3d7usour6deggj9aoow9.jpg

Match recording and replay?

No solid information yet on if this is part of the tournament-making system they're putting in, but could be interesting for watching tournament rounds if it works that way.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks pretty cool. Would make displaying matches easier because you would'nt have to record every match just in case you get a match where something amazing happens or whatnot. Gotta give it to the japanese, they know how to make a fighting game.

Aren't they making an announcment tomorrow? Better be the FREE patch.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Here's the news:

http://kotaku.com/5215943/more-nitty+gritty-on-the-free-sfiv-championship-mode

The good news:

The Championship Mode is free and coming out on the 24th of this month.
    View replays of high ranked matches.

The bad news:

Only allows the top 5,000 players are able record and post replays.
    No mention of expanded lobbies.

That probably means that this mode won't help us out at all when running these tournaments. A great, free addition to SF4, but not great for us little guys. Oh well.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    OK guys, here are the proposed rules for the upcoming tournaments.

Suicide Style Tournament (SST)

Here are the current rules [edited]:

-Each game has to be won with a different character forcing the winning player to have won with three different characters.

Results:
    Ruffnite (M. Bison) > The Sneak (Ryu)
    Ruffnite (Ryu) > The Sneak (Ryu)
    Ruffnite (E. Honda) < The Sneak (Chun Li)
    Ruffnite (Zangief) < The Sneak (Ryu)
    Ruffnite (Fei-Long) > The Sneak (Ken)

I'm a little confused about how the suicide match works. You say the winning player will have to use three different characters, but in your example The Sneak was able to go back to Ryu again after having won with Chun Li. Doesn't that mean people can win a match with just two characters? Lead off with your primary character, if you win then switch to your second best and if you win again switch back to your primary character for the third match.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wonderpug wrote: »

-Each game has to be won with a different character forcing the winning player to have won with three different characters.

Results:

I'm a little confused about how the suicide match works. You say the winning player will have to use three different characters, but in your example The Sneak was able to go back to Ryu again after having won with Chun Li. Doesn't that mean people can win a match with just two characters? Lead off with your primary character, if you win then switch to your second best and if you win again switch back to your primary character for the third match.

I think that was a mistake, he shouldn't be able to switch back to Ryu.

I've never done anything like this but that was my understanding.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    wonderpug wrote: »

Results:

The winning player has to win with three different characters. If you look at the results again, you can see that The Sneak never actually won with Ryu therefore he was able to select him again. In the fourth match he did win with Ryu, so he was no longer aloud to play as him.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gotcha, thanks.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Here's the news:

The good news:

The bad news:

That probably means that this mode won't help us out at all when running these tournaments. A great, free addition to SF4, but not great for us little guys. Oh well.

How many players are there total? Is it measured by BP?

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    solsovly wrote: »
    Here's the news:

The good news:

The bad news:

How many players are there total? Is it measured by BP?

There's a separate point system for Championship Mode.

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
  • Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like the suicide idea, even though I really only have 2 that I'm really comfortable with. But that'll force me to futz around a bit in player matches.

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    **PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST BEFORE SENDING ME A PM.**

Ok everyone, it's go time for tournament sign-ups. Because I've added a lot of extra tournaments into the mix, I'll need everyone to pay special attention when signing up for the next round of games. All of the tournament information can be found in this post:

Tournament rules

What I'd like from all of you is to be detailed as to which tournaments you are wanting to enter. For example, the Single Elimination Tournament (SET) is going to be held on the 360 and the PS3 and will cover both SF4 and HDR. This also follows suit with the Team Elimination Tournament (TSET), the Suicide Style Tournament (SST), and the Street Fighter League (SFL).

When you send your request in for an entry spot, please title your PM with either "360" or "PS3". That alone will help me tremendously. In the actual message part of the PM, please fill in which system you wish to play on, which tournaments you wish to enter, and which game you are wanting to play. Also, just in case I don't have it, please add in your PA forum name and XBL/PSN ID. Make it look something like this:

Title: 360 tourney

SET - SF4 and HDR
    TSET - SF4 only
    SST - No entry
    SFL - HDR only

PA Name: MNC Dover
    XBL Gamertag: MNC Dover

Please try and follow the above example as closely as possible.

The SET's will be starting before the TSET and SFL will because of the extra work involved in establishing teams. There is no definitive start date yet, but I'm aiming for the beginning of next month. Once the tournaments get ready to start, I will create a new thread (Round 2...Fight!) and reserve the first couple of slots for tourney info.

I've still got hold overs from the last tournament that didn't get in. Those people are first in line and have an automatic spot held for them. In order to claim their spot, I just need them to say they are still in. The people are:

Climhazzard, ethdem, ChaosHat, dav3yb, dudbolt, arde, hambone wilson, unknown-destiny, MNC Beau, Migenzo, and Raakam

I only have 12 PM's in my box now so no one should have a problem getting a PM to me. If my box does overfill, please post in the forum with your intentions. DO NOT POST in the forum if my inbox is not full.

Currently, I'm going to allow the following number of players in each tournament:

SET: SF4 64 players - HDR 32 players
    TSET: SF4 48 players (16 teams) - HDR 24 players (8 teams)
    SST: SF4 32 players - HDR 32 players
    SFL: SF4 40 players (8 teams) - HDR 40 players (8 teams)

PS3
    SET: SF4 32 players - HDR 32 players
    TSET: SF4 24 players (8 teams) - HDR 24 players (8 teams)
    SST: SF4 32 players - HDR 32 players
    SFL: SF4 30 players (6 teams) - HDR 30 players (6 teams)

These limits are based primarily on the turnouts from prior tournaments. If demand increases, especially in the PS3 area, I'll increase the player cap. If I don't receive enough players to fill out a bracket, then the random players will get first round byes. There is a minimum requirement of 16 players to hold a SET or a SST. This will probably mean no HDR SET on the PS3. :(

All seeding will be random, so don't expect any special treatment based on how you finished the prior tournaments. The only exception to this rule will be for the team tournaments. The top finishers in the prior tournament (Solsovly, James Dekk, Blitz Rawket, etc) will automatically become team captains if they choose to enter the team tournaments. This will allow us to keep them from being on the same team and crushing everyone one in their way. I'll go into more detail about the team tournaments later.

A final note, former champions get an automatic entry into the next tournament to defend their title. If they lose, they must surrender their belt to the new champion. Blitz, Sol, people will be gunning for those pretty titles you show off in your signatures. Watch your back!

Feel free to ask any questions if I've missed anything. I'll be away from my computer for a few hours, but will answer anything when I get back.

Thanks and get to entering!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Not entering these, Dover, but I will gladly help you track results.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

That would be great. Would you perchance, care to be the Commissioner of the SFL? It's a position of esteem and great power....could you handle it?!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2009

That would be great. Would you perchance, care to be the Commissioner of the SFL? It's a position of esteem and great power....could you handle it?!

36552-MillerLightL.jpg

I predict a rampant abuse of power and anyone who choses Ken.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

36552-MillerLightL.jpg

LOL! Photoshop a Sinistar face on that pic and the job is yours!
    The job is yours even if you don't. :P

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

36552-MillerLightL.jpg

...and I was gonna ask if you wanted to do team HDR....

You better make up for it by punishing all non-pink Thawks...

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So with the team and league tournaments, how exactly are teams formed? You said that the finalists from previous tourneys can be captains, but how will that work if we are having 16 (or whatever) teams?

EDIT: Kickball style team choosing might be kind of a mess, what with 16 people having to take turns at choosing 32 other people.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    sincommish.jpg

run cowards

The only true T Hawk is a pink T Hawk. What other color could a totem be?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    sincommish.jpg

run cowards

The only true T Hawk is a pink T Hawk. What other color could a totem be?

:winky:

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    sincommish.jpg

run cowards

Beware, I live! I am Commissioner Sinistar!
    So with the team and league tournaments, how exactly are teams formed? You said that the finalists from previous tourneys can be captains, but how will that work if we are having 16 (or whatever) teams?

EDIT: Kickball style team choosing might be kind of a mess, what with 16 people having to take turns at choosing 32 other people.

It will be at most 8 people choosing from a pool of 32 for the TSET, making it only 2 choices per person. The SFL will be 8 captains choosing 4 extra players per team. It won't be that bad, I'll make it happen with the help of the Commish! :)

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So is team selection going to be random?

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    James Dekk wrote: »
    So is team selection going to be random?

Nope, we'll have captains based on the last single player tournament. That would make you a captain if you entered. 8-)

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm down for everything SF4. I'm basically giving up on HDR, it just doesn't click with me anymore.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I'm down for everything SF4. I'm basically giving up on HDR, it just doesn't click with me anymore.

I kind of agree, my HDR skills have gone way downhill since SFIV.

But I don't care, I'm still gonna compete :D

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If anyone wants a decent Dhalsim, average Boxer, or crappy Gouken on their team, I'm the man to pick. Just letting the captains know. SFIV obviously :D

360 Gamertag: The Haun7ed
    (anyone can add me to just play randomly, etc.. just let me know you're from PA forums)

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I'm down for everything HDR. I'm basically giving up on SF4, it just never clicked with me.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Two and a half hours later and I've already got a ton of people:

SET SF4 - 13 / HDR - 5
    TSET SF4 -11 / HDR - 4
    SST SF4 - 9 / HDR - 3
    SFL SF4 - 8 / HDR - 4

PS3
    SET SF4 - 5 / HDR - 1
    TSET SF4 - 5 / HDR - 0
    SST SF4 - 3 / HDR - 0
    SFL SF4 - 4 / HDR - 1

No love for HDR on the PS3? :(

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Already mentioned in the main SFIV thread, but if any PS3 captains want a mediocre Gouken (or sub-mediocre Sakura, come to think of it) for their number 3 slot, give me a shout. (Because there's no way in hell I'm anywhere near good enough for the number 2 slot.)

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Updated OP with all the information on the new tournaments in an easier to read setting.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ShaquarShaquar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would love to sign up for SFIV but I'm not exactly sure if that's a good idea because I'm in Germany. I don't want to ruin it for anyone by having a bad latency. Time zone wise I can manage it.

Do you guys have any experience with participants from Europe?

Shaquar on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Shaquar wrote: »
    I would love to sign up for SFIV but I'm not exactly sure if that's a good idea because I'm in Germany. I don't want to ruin it for anyone by having a bad latency. Time zone wise I can manage it.

I say screw it and sign up anyway, at least in the SET or SST. If the lag is too bad or you're feeling bad about it, you can always just drop out. What do you have to lose?

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hows about clumping all the europeans together for the first few rounds of the SET and SST, that way they can have matches with decent connections at least until they get up to fighting internationally?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I say screw it and sign up anyway, at least in the SET or SST. If the lag is too bad or you're feeling bad about it, you can always just drop out. What do you have to lose?

After all, I'm in the UK, and I didn't notice any major lag in my fights with TheStig until the last round of the second match... then it got crappy in intermitent bursts... but we fought through it.

Well, he did at least; I was too busy being thrown left, right, and centre. :D

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    ShaquarShaquar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Okay, considering I can just drop out if it's too bad and it works for BlitzAce1981 I'm going to sign up for the SET.

Thanks guys.

Shaquar on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

After all, I'm in the UK, and I didn't notice any major lag in my fights with TheStig until the last round of the second match... then it got crappy in intermitent bursts... but we fought through it.

Well it was about average lag for something overseas then it got bad. But what's average for overseas is still a whole lot worse than playing someone on the west coast.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

Well it was about average lag for something overseas then it got bad. But what's average for overseas is still a whole lot worse than playing someone on the west coast.

Or in Florida D=

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

To be honest, it's probably more to do with how poor the UK's broadband is in comparison to the US... if the people in charge actually made more of an effort to give us faster speeds, that 'average for overseas' would probably have been the later part of the matches, rather than the earlier part.

Although, wasn't there some mention of the netcode for SFIV being inferior to HDR's? That probably doesn't help either.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm on the East Coast and played a guy from Spain. We had a 3 bar connection. IMO 3 bar fights get into the realm of throwing off timing for almost everything, but still being in the realm of possible fun. I say just join, not like we are playing for cash prizes.

solsovly on