As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Big Street Fighter Tournament thread *Sign ups are closed*

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I finally finished updating the brackets from our last tournaments. Go check em out to see how it all ended up. In addition, I updated the OP with current player count. Sadly, I'm also going to get rid of all PS3 HDR tournaments. There simply isn't any support for them, so they've got to go.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    We need more players damnit! I want to tourney fight!

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    StokedUp wrote: »
    We need more players damnit! I want to tourney fight!

Need more PS3 players... where did they all go? :(

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Converted to 360 due to the upcoming patch :D

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sign ups will be ending soon. The last day to get registered is going to be Tuesday the 28th of April, or 5 days from now. Once I have the final list of names, I'll need a few days to get the brackets complete. Most of the SETs will start on the 5th of May.

As it stands now, the only HDR games will be the SET on the 360. Why oh why. I encourage anyone to start a Fight Fest for that game. It's way to good to be forgotten about. SF4 will have all 4 tourney types represented on the 360 and only the SET on the PS3. We can also play host to a mini SST as well.

Finally, the following players are going to receive a PM to confirm their captain status for the TSET and SFL:

B:L, Ruffnite, James Dekk, Dmauro, Solsovly, King Kong, and Skye (of that group Dumaro and Solsovly haven't signed up yet)

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So how are the numbers lookin I wonder? Can't wait.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I hope we can get two more people for 360 HDR, to have an even 16.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The OP looks crazy to me.

What are we signing up for?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    StokedUp wrote: »
    So how are the numbers lookin I wonder? Can't wait.

I'm updating the numbers at the bottom of the OP.
    B:L wrote: »
    The OP looks crazy to me.

What are we signing up for?

It's pretty simple actually. You can sign up for up to 4 different tournaments. They are a normal Single Elimination Tournament (SET), a Team Single Elimination Tournament (TSET), a Suicide Style Tournament (SST), or the Street Fighter League (SFL). You can enter any combination of these tournaments.

Because of your high finish in the last tournament, you are going to be an automatic team captain if you choose to enter the TSET or the SFL. If you got any more questions, feel free to ask!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RuffNiteRuffNite Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm hesitant to sign up with the lack of time and all but I'll be there for at least one of the tourneys. Hey I have a sexy captain status =D. Maybe I'll do two.

RuffNite on
    xbl: RuffNite
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    RuffNite wrote: »
    I'm hesitant to sign up with the lack of time and all but I'll be there for at least one of the tourneys. Hey I have a sexy captain status =D. Maybe I'll do two.

Oh sign up anyway. Send me a PM as outlined in the OP. Let's do this!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wants to fight some peeps official style, lets get this on already! ;)

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Quick clarification on the SFL:

Each player on a team chooses three players, and each character can only have one version per team. Does this mean that there can only be on Blanka per team, or that there can only one version of Blanka and that a different color or costume for anther player would be okay?

I think that each team consisting of nine different character would be more interesting and force more strategy. It would force people to dig a little deaper past their main.

Oh, and no Kens.

:P

chamberlain on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So are the numbers of the front page the current PS3 tourney sign-ups?

That's... sad. :(

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Each player on a team chooses three players, and each character can only have one version per team. Does this mean that there can only be on Blanka per team, or that there can only one version of Blanka and that a different color or costume for anther player would be okay?

I think that each team consisting of nine different character would be more interesting and force more strategy. It would force people to dig a little deaper past their main.

Oh, and no Kens.

I'm pretty sure it means only one Blanka, Ryu, whatever per team.

Making it okay to have another player with the same character but with a different color/costume just seems silly :P

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Oh, and no Kens.

One unique version of a character per team. That would mean one Blanka on the entire team.
    Antihippy wrote: »

Tell me about it.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Oh, and no Kens.

I'm pretty sure it means only one Blanka, Ryu, whatever per team.

Making it okay to have another player with the same character but with a different color/costume just seems silly :P

Mabye Dover actually works for Capcom and it trying to push sales of the costume packs...

chamberlain on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Oh, and no Kens.

One unique version of a character per team. That would mean one Blanka on the entire team.

Tell me about it.

Can I use Gen twice if I only use Crane for one and Mantis for the other?

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »

Oh, and no Kens.

Tell me about it.

While this does confirm your awesomeness, it would simply be too much awesome for a single team in the SFL.

-the commish

chamberlain on
  • Options
    X Pr3dat0R XX Pr3dat0R X Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Stuff

I think you should find someone who plays Gen as well as you and have matches when one of you uses Crane and one uses Mantis, then swap over. Just coz I'd love to see that :-)

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    A quick bump and reminder of the last days of sign ups are at midnight this Tuesday.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am 99.99% sure I'm going to be knocked out first round, after playing a friend, and losing 6 5-round matches out of 6. Granted, he's on nearly 5000BP, and I've only played about 20 matches online... but I was lucky to avoid getting perfected.

In other words, anyone facing me could pick Random, and still go through to round 2. Hope you like your bye, yet-to-be-decided-opponent!

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I am 99.99% sure I'm going to be knocked out first round, after playing a friend, and losing 6 5-round matches out of 6. Granted, he's on nearly 5000BP, and I've only played about 20 matches online... but I was lucky to avoid getting perfected.

In other words, anyone facing me could pick Random, and still go through to round 2. Hope you like your bye, yet-to-be-decided-opponent!

I find your lack of confidence disturbing...

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Bump and request. Can anyone help with providing artwork for the tournaments? If not, we'll be using the generic stuff I've got in the first couple of posts again. Borrrring!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I think you'll find the competition to be quite diverse when it comes to skill. I'm no slouch, but I'm also no 8000 bp warrior like some of the guys.

I went into the last tournament expecting to lose handily in the first round and I did pretty well.

Also, I'm no good with artsy stuff so I won't be able to help there Dover, but I'm open to helping with something else if it comes up.

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's almost go time!

langfor6 on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Which tourneys still have spots open? 360 SF4 player here.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Is there still that little PS3 players?

Sad. :(

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    It's almost go time!

24 hours before sign ups close. Then I'll go into bracket creation mode. I still need some way to get my player lists online without having to type them up and convert them into a jpg. I can create a .pdf file but don't know where I can store it for people to see. I don't want to have to type them up again...
    Which tourneys still have spots open? 360 SF4 player here.

All 360 SF4 tournaments are still excepting players through midnight tonight. Send me your PM information before then or miss the tourneys!
    Is there still that little PS3 players?

Sad. :(

Yeah, no PS3 or HDR love on the PA forums. I wonder if MvC2 will chase away players from SF4 just like SF4 did to HDR. Two different games, but definitely a possibility.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Are we gonna go ahead with only 13 players though?

I say we do SST anyway though. :P

Antihippy on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, no PS3 or HDR love on the PA forums. I wonder if MvC2 will chase away players from SF4 just like SF4 did to HDR. Two different games, but definitely a possibility.

I hope not. I'm not a fan of mvc2 - it was just too over the top for me.

stigweard on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    stigweard wrote: »

I hope not. I'm not a fan of mvc2 - it was just too over the top for me.

You should probably be more worried about KOF XII fracturing the community than this. It's so over the top and different that many people who like MvC probably arn't the biggest fans of SF4 and vice-versa. I know I'm going to try MvC, but will probably stick mainly with SF4. At worst it might kill HDR for me (which I've played two matches of since I got SF4 so it's pretty much dead for me already).

For me MvC 2 is a game I play with friends who come over but don't really play fighting games. Everyone at least enjoys messing around with their favorite Marvel characters. And I'll mainly buy it for this reason.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Bump and request. Can anyone help with providing artwork for the tournaments? If not, we'll be using the generic stuff I've got in the first couple of posts again. Borrrring!

I could help with artwork, I've done some sigs for people and they seemed to like them.

Pm me with your request and i'll see what I can do! :D

oh and I'm stoked for the tourneys! I keep losing this thread thinking no ones posting in it so I don't post.

And fuck mvc2! It''ll never replace sf4 for me anyway, I might play it for kicks once in a while, but I won't play it competitively like i do sf4 (sort of...)

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    9 hours left.

I've also removed everything except for the SET for HDR. Barring any last minute sign ups, the TSET will have 10 teams of 3 players each and the SFL will have 8 teams with 3 players each. If I don't get 2 more players to sign up, then I'm going to have to ask 1 person to drop from the SFL.

I'm also going to be asking the team tournament captains to start thinking about the upcoming draft. If you're participating in the TSET or the SFL, I would recommend selling yourself in the SF4 thread now. Each captain will get to choose 2 teammates.

Again, barring a last minute change, the team captains are:

Stoked Up (10/20 TSET)
    GF-Boceifus (9/19 TSET)
    Aumni (8/18 TSET) (1/16 SFL)
    Ranced (7/17 TSET) (2/15 SFL)
    House of Paincakes (6/16 TSET) (3/14 SFL)
    LibrarianThorne (5/15 TSET) (4/13 SFL)
    MNC Dover (4/14 TSET) (5/12 SFL)
    King Kong (3/13 TSET) (6/11 SFL)
    Skye (2/12 TSET) (7/10 SFL)
    James Dekk (1/11 TSET) (8/9 SFL)

The numbers next to their name's represent their draft position.

The TSET will have 10 captains and James Dekk will be choosing first. I know what you're thinking, didn't he finish in the finals? How come he gets first pick?! To balance this out, James, Skye, King Kong, and myself will be playing in the first round automatically while the other 6 teams will get bye's.

The SFL will have 8 captains and Aumni will be getting the first pick, Ranced the second, and so on. This is a snake style draft, so the order reverses after the first pick is taken. That means that James Dekk will pick last in the first round and first in the second.

I know this all might seem confusing, but I will have it all laid out in a very easy to understand fashion. For now, the team captains need to start looking at potential players to draft. All the players out there should start advertising themselves. Provide an honest evaluation of your skill level (should you be starting, 2nd spot, or 3rd) and what your 3 best characters are. Captains are encouraged to find players that compliment themselves and the rest of their other teammates.

PM's to the captains to follow.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I shall improve my standing in this tournament so that I might become a SFL captain in the next one, this is my goal :).

Also, I'll be on tonight around 8:00 central time or so to start thinking about who will be included in the team. This is going to rock!

If I can find a Ken and Boxer, this will be Team AMERICA

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Wow, I made tset captain. Is cool. Like gf-boceifus said, I'll probably be on tonight for sparring with whomever. Oh wait I'm the last pick. lol, looks like my team will be the D-rank team! "You don't want these fighters!? FINE! Then I suppose I'll just have to take them!" :D

edit: oh and whoever gets into my team we will all be fighting alot to make sure were all up to snuff! Work those jabs damnit! FASTERRRR!

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm so down for an awesome team full of Dhalsims.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I need each player to lay bare before the forums! Let me know your character, your playstyle and your playtimezone. Then hopefully we battle!

- I play Viper, I work 9-5 EST and play generally 6:30-10. Weekends I have time aplenty.
    - While winning is great and fantastic, it's just as good to accept a loss and learn from it!
    - I enjoy long walks on the beach, talking on the phone, and wrestling bears with my chum Zangief.

I typically play, in order from most to least : Viper, Balrog, Ryu. I'd consider myself above average, but not quite pro. I frequent local tournaments and am currently at 2600 GP and climbing.

Now your turn!

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GamerTag: Fig D

Characters: Varies by time of day/phase of the moon/etc but Zangief has become my goto guy.
    Play Style: Generally defensive, preferring to counter attack more than going on the offensive.
    Skill Level: I can put up a good fight against some of the better players here, just don't ask me to actually win. Average.
    Times Available: 3:30pm-12:00am during the week. Just about anytime on the weekends.
    Mindset: Play to have fun. Winning isn't everything, but air taunting over projectiles with Dan is.

Other Characters Played: The entire cast, just not well. I'm a decent Sakura, I'm working on Rose, and my Dan game as been picking up. I used to play Cammy and Akuma but I'm dreadfully out of practice. I'm better than flowchart Ryu and Kens, but not by much.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm a captain? huh

I guess I should write down some stuff too.

- I play an aggressive Bison mostly. I used Ken in the last tournament but haven't used him so much after.
    - I don't mind losing. It's all good whatever happens, I just want to play some Street Fighter.
    - I think I do okay in this game.

I don't know what a captain has to do, but whatevs, I'll do what I can. That's about it, yep.

Ranced on