As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Interesting cut/hidden content in games?

SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
One of the things that's particularly nice about the current age of gaming is that, thanks to the internet and the general interest in programming and the like that's been fostered in the last decade or so, many games can now be explored and played further than the designers themselves had intended and included content for; mods and editors of all sorts make it easy for gamers - where the interest in doing so exists, at least - to tweak various aspects of their favorite games in some interesting ways or even to generate completily new material to play and share with others. In doing so, however, some gamers and programmers unintentionally wind up digging up some long-hidden relic of the early development days of a game or some disgruntled or sneaky employee smuggles out some documents for an awesome upcoming game that got shitcanned by the publisher/owner, hinting at or containing content that for whatever reason was never included in the final product. Naturally, this makes one wonder about "what could have been", or even to actually try and make "what could have been" into a "what can be" sort of thing.

I was messing around with X-COM Apocalypse during the last few days, and inbetween wikipedia and my own messing around with various editors and hacks and whatnot I've learned that there was quite a bit more planned for the game than what was put out in the end:

* In the commercial version of the game, most of the high-end equipment was stuff that you had to scavenge/steal off of enemies or replicate after doing all the science business on how they're made and work and whatnot. Some leftovers in the code suggested that the devs may have planned on letting the player develop their own (and superior) versions of these items, however; at least one was implimented (but is bugged) in the form of an X-COM disruptor pistol as well as several dummied items that could've proved useful (like "Alien Detectors" to upgrade to from standard motion sensors, a "Dimension Force Field", "Mind Shields", "Dimension Shifters" and "Psi-Grenades")
* Inbetween statements by the developers and remarks made in certain UFOpedia articles, it looks like there were plans for the player to be dealing with at least two different alien groups/invaders and their respective dimensions; one made heavy use of more traditional energy weapons systems like ray guns and subatomic-particle-powered missiles and such, whereas the others based its stuff around bio-technology to make shit like guided acid missiles and grafted rocket launchers using gland-produced ammunition. That and the nature of the final mission hints that there's some other place that the enemy's drawing its troops from, the player having literily dismantled their military and economic capabilities piece by piece in previous missions.
* There was supposedly to be a lot of political and economic intrigue and impact than what was delivered; one item, a "tracker gun" hints that players might not've been able to detect every trace of the aliens nilly-willy like they do now but instead had to do a bit of snooping and shadowwork, like tagging an alien or a collaborator and then following them around the city to learn where the aliens had their base of operations set up; furthermore, in-game text hints that there was supposed to be a considerably larger impact of the attacks launched by the player and the AI groups, with the damages that were incurred taking away from the victim's ability to arm their troops and vehicles and maintain a major presence in the city, perhaps even driving them to outright bankruptcy and elimination from the game as a whole (and possibly leaving their assets and buildings to be snapped up and exploited by the player and the other groups, which would help with the inability to procure certain items when an enemy turns hostile)

Man, "what could have been" indeed. Bigger, more utilizeable tech tree and equipment roster? Multiple alien forces attacking Earth or maybe even each other? Driving your enemies into poverty and dealing with enemy collaborators with literal hostile takeovers? Good lord I can only imagine some of the fun shenanigans we might've had if Mythos had been able to go all the way with Apocalypse...

...but enough about Apocalypse, for my job of passing on that wonder of potential is done. What unrealized potential do you, the good and well-versed people of Penny Arcade, know of of games that were never allowed to be all they could be, or even be anything at all? What makes you sit and sigh and wonder of the development road not taken?

Sorenson on

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wing Commander 3 spoilers
    Hobbes' defection was originally written as the result of an artificial personality overlay, but for some unfathomable reason they decided to cut this pretty significant detail out of the final version, although the cutscene was already recorded. WC3 is probably my least favorite game in the series, and this was a big part of the reason why (one of the others being the Kilrathis' Muppet look).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_PUcu0mBKg

Still just boggles my mind that they thought Hobbes just being a traitor would be better storytelling.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The last 3/4s of KOTOR2 fits in this category I think.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Wing Commander 3 spoilers
    Hobbes' defection was originally written as the result of an artificial personality overlay, but for some unfathomable reason they decided to cut this pretty significant detail out of the final version, although the cutscene was already recorded. WC3 is probably my least favorite game in the series, and this was a big part of the reason why (one of the others being the Kilrathis' Muppet look).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_PUcu0mBKg

Still just boggles my mind that they thought Hobbes just being a traitor would be better storytelling.
    Oh man. Hobbes was being an awesome chap up until the betrayal. Hell, at first I thought he was just being framed. This explanation would've made thing so much better.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Arwing in Zelda 64.

arwing.jpg

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wing Commander 3 was always one of my favorite PC games that I played when I was young (It has Mark Hammill AND John Rhys Davies!), but that clip totally blows my mind. They should have left it in.
    The Hobbes betrayal never really made sense to me. Of course, Hobbes flying side by side with the space men who are trying to destroy his race didn't make much sense either. Are we really spoilering Wing Commander 3... really? There should be a statute of limitations on this sort of thing.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The last 3/4s of KOTOR2 fits in this category I think.

More than that, actually. For instance, the part when your party splits up and you play one scenario, then the other? I believe that was originally supposed to be interspersed, but they couldn't get the gameplay to flow correctly.

Also, the HK factory, and of course the Droid planet. Also, Kreia having the incredibly awesomely-written moment when she removes her hood when confronting the Jedi masters, which would've been fucking so cool.

Khavall on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    3/4? Come on, it was only really 2 planets worth of content (droid factory and last planet) and a random scattering of some other content. It's more like 1/4

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, and an ending that made any sense

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's pretty entertaining how people worship KOTOR2 despite the state that it shipped in.

Pretty much every game could be awesome given enough time and polish, yet it's only okay that it didn't happen with KOTOR2.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think it's more that you rarely see a game completely fall apart once you get to a certain part of the game. The stuff before that point would have been nice and all, but the utter collapse near the end is pretty spectacular.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's pretty entertaining how people worship KOTOR2 despite the state that it shipped in.

Pretty much every game could be awesome given enough time and polish, yet it's only okay that it didn't happen with KOTOR2.

It's pretty amazing the lengths people will go to make kotor2 seem like it was the worse game evar!!1! when the core gameplay was twice as good as the first. And it actually had usable PC controls

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I don't think KOTOR2 is bad at all, actually. I like the first better, but still, people give KOTOR2 a free pass whereas they wouldn't for other games.

Indigo Prophecy similarly fell apart at the end (and for similar reasons, time/budget constraints), and people absolutely shit all over that.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Except this wasn't a bad game that had cut content but could've used a little more time and polish. This was an exceptional game with outstanding writing done in an incredibly short time-frame whose problem was that it had cut content.

Like what was finished of the game was incredible, it wasn't just that it was a sloppy game.

Khavall on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

KotOR2 is really awesome despite the missing content. It's filled with better writing, more interesting characters, and a more compelling story than the vast majority of games ever strive to present.

Just because it's missing content and falls apart near the end doesn't take away from its accomplishments from earlier in the game. There's a reason that it's worshiped and it's not because it could have been awesome if it was finished, it's because it is awesome despite not being finished.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Really? I was just thinking the opposite. It's annoying how everyone worships the game that KOTOR2 might have been without appreciating what is there. Every game has some great content that gets cut for one reason or another, yet it's only a big deal with KOTOR2.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Didn't uh... Temple of Elemental Evil have a ton of shit removed/dummied before it released?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't think KOTOR2 is bad at all, actually. I like the first better, but still, people give KOTOR2 a free pass whereas they wouldn't for other games.

Indigo Prophecy similarly fell apart at the end (and for similar reasons, time/budget constraints), and people absolutely shit all over that.
    I think that it's just a (mis)perception. I liked KotOR2 better than KotOR1, despite its flaws at the end, but I don't think anyone out there gives KotOR2 a free pass for the flaws. Most of my friends who've played both seem to acknowledge the flaws critically, at least, but that doesn't stop their enjoyment of the game. I like to think of Indigo Prophecy as the Matrix Trilogy. The first 1/3 is the best game ever, the 2nd is "WTF? Okay..." and the 3rd is "Okay, seriously? Really? Why did you take your inspiration from Dragonball Z?"

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Seriously how many games have
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4783425005198994301#
    level of quality?

War that has, as always, taught the wrong lesson....

GOD I LOVE KREIA AND AM SO GAY FOR CHRIS AVELLONE

Khavall on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

The ending still made sense, it was just shitty.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    We can imbed Google video now? When did that happen?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. Great game but the series was supposed to end with it. Raziel was going to corner and kill Kain and all his vampire buddies by activating a pipe organ ... I'm glad they chose not to use that ending. Ick.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/legacy-of-kain-soul-reaver/trivia

emnmnme on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

The ending still made sense, it was just shitty.
    Only if you play a good character.

I was following Kreia's teachings throughout the game, taking the road-in-between, and the endgame made no sense at all, with Kreia acting completely out of character.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    level of quality?

That scene was so fucking good. Top notch voice acting there.

Henroid on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Really? I was just thinking the opposite. It's annoying how everyone worships the game that KOTOR2 might have been without appreciating what is there. Every game has some great content that gets cut for one reason or another, yet it's only a big deal with KOTOR2.

Probably because we found out about all the missing content with KOTOR2 so shortly after release when it usually takes many years for all the info about cut content and early design docs to surface.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    level of quality?

God. Ok, the writing and delivery is fine, but the actual content in the in-game context is just bullshit. She never 'taught' a damn thing with her non-sequitur mumbling and overly-cryptic mysticism. KOTOR2 was a fun game and the cut/butchered ending might have been fun too.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    harvest wrote: »
    God. Ok, the writing and delivery is fine, but the actual content in the in-game context is just bullshit. She never 'taught' a damn thing with her non-sequitur mumbling and overly-cryptic mysticism. KOTOR2 was a fun game and the cut/butchered ending might have been fun too.

Have you considered that you're a bad student? I caught on to what she was teaching.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    level of quality?

She really did if you pay attention. The problem is that Kreia and the Game were in different directions. Kreia had a very clear view of things presented well, and her entire character was just astounding, but she was completely not a traditional video game character and was put in a traditional video game framework. So she was constantly fighting the mechanics, and if you weren't specifically looking for her to be herself and totally outside of expectations, then she was annoying as fuck and the game sucked.

The first time I played KOTOR2 I was really disappointed and hated Kreia. dumb bitch wouldn't leave me alone and god I wanted to smash her stupid face in. Then I played darkside and what the fuck she's still a huge bitch I WAS DOING WHAT YOU WANTED WHORE!

Then I realized holy fuck this character is not anywhere near Star Wars or Bioware RPG(yes I know it's an Obsidian game) stuff. She's goddamn brilliant, but she's also very, very easy to misinterpret.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What about the secret room in Link to the Past for that Nintendo Power contest winner (can't remember the name....). That seems pretty hidden to me. Hard as hell to get to.

Anyway, lots of games have code left over from older ideas, etc. I believe Super Mario Bros 3 actually has a few complete levels that you can access with a Game Genie. They are still programmed in the game, but not used.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    level of quality?

The problem is that Kreia and the Game were in different directions.
    This is what I mean. She was basically preaching moderation and inaction in an action world. It was absurd. What ended up happening to me is that I followed all the darkside shit while somehow maintaining my paragon of virtue/max light side points.

/end derail

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    What about the secret room in Link to the Past for that Nintendo Power contest winner (can't remember the name....). That seems pretty hidden to me. Hard as hell to get to.

Anyway, lots of games have code left over from older ideas, etc. I believe Super Mario Bros 3 actually has a few complete levels that you can access with a Game Genie. They are still programmed in the game, but not used.

Heh that room in Zelda was kind of silly. They had the contest, and then make the actual prize all but worthless since most people didn't even know it existed until the internet told them about it.

--
    I remember now finding 'hidden content' on the Castlevania SOTN disc by putting it in a CD player :)

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, the original Metroid was like that. All those dead ends and shit were supposed to lead to places of significance but they didn't have time to finish, so they pushed it out. People at the time interpreted it as the game being a maze so I guess it worked out to their benefit.

Then Super Metroid came out, and well, people realized that it can still be great if every direction has a point.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Heh that room in Zelda was kind of silly. They had the contest, and then make the actual prize all but worthless since most people didn't even know it existed until the internet told them about it.

--
    I remember now finding 'hidden content' on the Castlevania SOTN disc by putting it in a CD player :)

Talking about CDs, I always thought the special monsters for certain CDs was neat in the monster rancher games

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, the original Metroid was like that. All those dead ends and shit were supposed to lead to places of significance but they didn't have time to finish, so they pushed it out. People at the time interpreted it as the game being a maze so I guess it worked out to their benefit.

Then Super Metroid came out, and well, people realized that it can still be great if every direction has a point.

Those dead-end passages weren't made that way on purpose? Huh. When I was a kid I always got super lost in the first Metroid because of those parts. I look at a map of the game now and the important areas seem so obvious.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The problem is that Kreia and the Game were in different directions.
    This is what I mean. She was basically preaching moderation and inaction in an action world. It was absurd. What ended up happening to me is that I followed all the darkside shit while somehow maintaining my paragon of virtue/max light side points.

/end derail

Just to play devil's advocate, it's possible that it was done this way on purpose. To show her teachings have a flaw; that you eventually do have to take action one way or the other.

We should continue this in another thread maybe. Not in G&T though, since I'm more interested in the teachings of Kreia (which can be done without Jedism, but it's easier to convey that way) and not necessarily the game itself or the Star Wars universe (in this matter).

Henroid on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fallout 2 had a bunch of interesting cut content, including a monastery that smacked of A Canticle for Leibowitz.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Those dead-end passages weren't made that way on purpose? Huh. When I was a kid I always got super lost in the first Metroid because of those parts. I look at a map of the game now and the important areas seem so obvious.

Yeah when I heard about it myself I was a little disappointed. I remember so many places where you can start bombing down, but then it stops. Zero Mission at least makes up for it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Macera wrote: »
    Fallout 2 had a bunch of interesting cut content, including a monastery that smacked of A Canticle for Leibowitz.

That's too bad. Such an awesome book.

pantsy on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've always thought it seemed like Bully seemed to be a rather unfinished game.

The game's set in high school, for those who haven't played it, and throughout each chapter you end up stealing the girlfriends out of various school cliques (Jocks, Preppies, whatever), and by the end of the game you've done this to every school-aged girl in the game. You can also purchase an (extremely expensive) tuxedo which seems to have no purpose in the game other than being an outfit you can wear to class that looks extremely out-of-place. I've always thought it seemed like they were building up to some end-of-the-year Prom that just ended up being too complicated to work into it, or something.

Also, according to some early previews you were supposed to have a lot more options regarding character customization - stuff like tucking your shirt in, rolling your sleeves up, etc. - which presumably would have played into the in-game dress code (you could get in trouble for not being in your school uniform), but that ended up being cut out. Customization was also supposed to affect how different NPC cliques interacted with you (kind of like Respect in San Andreas, but with more than one group), but in practice it ended up just meaning that certain 'joke' items would get you laughed at, and everything else was OK. You were also supposed to suffer penalties based on what you wore - if it was snowing outside, your health would suffer if you weren't wearing a coat, or whatever. That got cut out too.

Finally, I don't know if they ever actually planned it or if it was just pre-release hype, but lots of the lead-up material in the game certainly implied that you'd be able to join and side with the different school cliques (presumably creating branching plotlines, expanding the game play and what have you) but when it actually came out the storyline was extremely linear with almost no choice at all.

Duffel on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Light the TheSonicRetard signal!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Metroid II has secret worlds, some kind of bug with pressing select opens holes in the floors.

Links Awakening has that select trick too but it skips you to the top of a screen, allows for some weird sequence breaking.

SkutSkut on