As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

20 Most Overrated Films of All Time

• Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oboro wrote:
    I...when I try and think about this topic seriously, it just blows my mind. I don't understand how we can seriously call something overrated. I am pretty sure if you establish a more rigorous definition, and set some boundaries, it can be done--

but this is just incendiary trash.

My definition of overrated is quite different from that in the article. I say something is overrated if it enjoys mass popularity while not being a good movie. The article's definition seems to be the opposite; "a movie is overrated if reviewers liked it despite not being good". Considering the wide range of opinions reviewers can have, that definition makes no sense at all.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Why don't you go back to the U.S.S.R., drink your vodka, and eat your potatoes, you sick commie bastard.
    A baked potatoe and vodka actually sounds pretty good.

Quid on
  • Options
    Joseph McCarthyJoseph McCarthy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Quid wrote:
    Why don't you go back to the U.S.S.R., drink your vodka, and eat your potatoes, you sick commie bastard.
    I bet it does, Khrushchev

Joseph McCarthy on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Damn. I haven't seen Blow Up in a while but I remember it being great.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Okay, think of it like this. Your brain is processing you being hurt. Therefore, your body is reacting accordingly. If your brain is flayed in the matrix, your brain is flayed in real life, because it processes that information as true.

Yeah, I know that's the story, but it just makes no sense. If you trick a person into thinking he just got shot, he won't actually bleed. He certainly won't die.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Quid wrote:

Maybe add some fried chicken and mac and cheese.

Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    jmillikin wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Okay, think of it like this. Your brain is processing you being hurt. Therefore, your body is reacting accordingly. If your brain is flayed in the matrix, your brain is flayed in real life, because it processes that information as true.

Yeah, I know that's the story, but it just makes no sense. If you trick a person into thinking he just got shot, he won't actually bleed. He certainly won't die.
    Actually, I think he could go into shock at the least. The brain is very powerful.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The_Cheese wrote:
    Damn. I haven't seen Blow Up in a while but I remember it being great.

Oh no, it's really good. But so many people and critics cream their pants when they talk about it.

Definitely not splooge-worthy

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    jmillikin wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

Actually, I think he could go into shock at the least. The brain is very powerful.

It's not the same because you're consciously aware that it's not real. It's the Matrix.

Cavil on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jmillikin wrote:
    Oboro wrote:
    I...when I try and think about this topic seriously, it just blows my mind. I don't understand how we can seriously call something overrated. I am pretty sure if you establish a more rigorous definition, and set some boundaries, it can be done--

My definition of overrated is quite different from that in the article. I say something is overrated if it enjoys mass popularity while not being a good movie. The article's definition seems to be the opposite; "a movie is overrated if reviewers liked it despite not being good". Considering the wide range of opinions reviewers can have, that definition makes no sense at all.

I see it as both, sure reviewers have mixed opinions, but so does the general public.

Some movies are widely praised, even by critics, which is why some would call them overrated in this definition.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    jmillikin wrote:
    Oboro wrote:

My definition of overrated is quite different from that in the article. I say something is overrated if it enjoys mass popularity while not being a good movie.
    This is the part I am saying you need to define, and set boundaries for. Technically good? Historically-relevant? Genre-defining, genre-broadening? ... anything other than mass appeal? I have no idea.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    jmillikin wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

It's not the same because you're consciously aware that it's not real.
    WE ARE TALKING ABOUT SOMEONE WHO DOES NOT KNOW ITS NOT REAL YOU TWAT

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    jmillikin wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

It's not the same because you're consciously aware that it's not real.

I think the point is that consciously you think it is real, and therefore are "aware" of its realness.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    jmillikin wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

When that one throw-away character was shot, he actually bled out of his mouth. That completely ruins the immersion, as if horns had sprouted from his forehead.

Much better would have been something like: if the Agents subdue a free human, they can erase their personality/memories/etc and write their own (aka Smith in third movie). That would have left remaining humans with the task of killing their once friend. This would be both more plausible and create more tension for the audience. Of course, with the "human body heat for power" story line, it's obvious the Wachowskis didn't care about plausibility.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Al_wat wrote:
    I think the point is that consciously you think it is real, and therefore are "aware" of its realness.
    Kusuguttai wrote:

If both of you are true, how could someone who is aware that the Matrix isn't real still die in the Matrix? LOGICAL FALLACY.

Cavil on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I don't think it was body heat, I think it was the electricity the body generates? It wasn't very clear.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    I don't think it was body heat, I think it was the electricity the body generates? It wasn't very clear.

Same same. It still made no sense.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    If both of you are true, how could someone who is aware that the Matrix isn't real still die in the Matrix? LOGICAL FALLACY.

Damn you and your edits.

My response had nothing to do with the Matrix.

You have a point though.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    Al_wat wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

Part of the plot was that average humans simply can't accept that the Matrix isn't real. In the beginning, Morpheus trains Neo to ignore his notions about how the world operates to be able to better fight within the Matrix. That implies there is some degree of difficulty in doing so. In fact, even by the end of the series Neo is still the only human who can do so much as dodge bullets.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jmillikin wrote:
    Part of the plot was that average humans simply can't accept that the Matrix isn't real. In the beginning, Morpheus trains Neo to ignore his notions about how the world operates to be able to better fight within the Matrix. That implies there is some degree of difficulty in doing so. In fact, even by the end of the series Neo is still the only human who can do so much as dodge bullets.

You all laugh because I'm different
    I laugh because you're all the same

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    jmillikin wrote:

You're right about the battery theory being bogus though. It requires more energy to keep a human being alive than whatever could possibly be extracted from our bio-chemical or neurological electricity. Those lightning storms would seem to be a more credible alternative.

Cavil on
  • Options
    2and2is52and2is5 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Just as long as no one says anything bad about It's A Wonderful Life, I will not be upset.

2and2is5 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    2and2is5 wrote:
    Just as long as no one says anything bad about It's A Wonderful Life, I will not be upset.
    Jimmy Stewart was a HACK

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    2and2is5 wrote:
    Jimmy Stewart was a HACK

You take it back.

2and2is5 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I WISH JIMMY STEWART HAD NEVER BEEN BORN

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    2and2is5 wrote:
    Jimmy Stewart was a HACK

I go to school in the town Jimmy Stewart was born in.

I can't stand him.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You're both warped, frustrated old men.

2and2is5 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    2and2is5 wrote:

I sure hope not. :?

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    I WISH JIMMY STEWART HAD NEVER BEEN BORN

Let's see what life would be like, Kusu, if Jimmy Stewart had never been born.

FADE TO OTHER DIMENSION

WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    2and2is5 wrote:
    I'm just messin' with you, I love jimmy stewart. That one movie is brilliant. I can't think of the name. Jesus God, what is the name of that movie?

OH

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
    Brilliant film.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    2and2is5 wrote:
    I'm just messin' with you, I love jimmy stewart. That one movie is brilliant. I can't think of the name. Jesus God, what is the name of that movie?

OH

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
    Brilliant film.

I watched that in my high school National, State and Local Government class.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Me too.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Me too.

You had an NSLG class?

I thought my school system was just weird.

Sheri on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    7) Solaris (Take your pick. Both are overrated)
    Maybe the old one is. But the new one wasn't critically acclaimed at all. Some liked it, some didn't type of deal. I thought it was better than the old one and I was surprised that pretty much every critic said it was inferior to the original.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Now Jon Stewart, there's a man that needs to die.

Cavil on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sheri wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Me too.

You had an NSLG class?

I thought my school system was just weird.
    Nah, it is. I had a normal American Government class

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    The Green Lantern would kick your ass so hard that you will be begging for death before he even bats an eye.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hoz wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    7) Solaris (Take your pick. Both are overrated)
    Maybe the old one is. But the new one wasn't critically acclaimed at all. Some liked it, some didn't type of deal. I thought it was better than the old one and I was surprised that pretty much every critic said it was inferior to the original.

It is inferior. The russian version is absolutely amazing, and a real work of art.

It's just so fucking boring.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sheri wrote:
    2and2is5 wrote:

I sure hope not. :?

Line from the movie, its on right now. Surely not in Bitter Land though, where you must be from.

2and2is5 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:

And be resurrected as our savior.

He's even the right religion to do it!

Al_wat on