As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

20 Most Overrated Films of All Time

• Options
    CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yes, because we all know the token black guy is the one that typically gets the glory.

Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    2and2is5 wrote:
    Sheri wrote:
    2and2is5 wrote:
    You're both warped, frustrated old men.

I sure hope not. :?

Line from the movie, its on right now. Surely not in Bitter Land though, where you must be from.

Well maybe if I liked the movie, I would have recognized it.

Sheri on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Hoz wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    7) Solaris (Take your pick. Both are overrated)
    Maybe the old one is. But the new one wasn't critically acclaimed at all. Some liked it, some didn't type of deal. I thought it was better than the old one and I was surprised that pretty much every critic said it was inferior to the original.

It is inferior. The russian version is absolutely amazing, and a real work of art.

It's just so fucking boring.
    Art = better? Not to me. It's admirable but holy fuck film is an entertainment medium.

Hoz on
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hoz wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    Hoz wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    Maybe the old one is. But the new one wasn't critically acclaimed at all. Some liked it, some didn't type of deal. I thought it was better than the old one and I was surprised that pretty much every critic said it was inferior to the original.

It is inferior. The russian version is absolutely amazing, and a real work of art.

Art = better? Not to me. It's admirable but holy fuck film is an entertainment medium.

Huh.

Look, there's nothing inherent in the medium that says it has to be used for entertainment. It can be used for whatever the hell the people working in it want. If they want to create art, then goddamnit they can go create art.

Seriously, I don't even know how to respond to this. It's like the people who say cartoons can only ever be for kids.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thank you. That's the metaphor I was looking for. But I kept coming up with things like, "That'd be like saying Clay Aiken's hit single 'Invisible' only works as a soundtrack to that deleted scene from Hollow Man where Kevin Bacon's character rapes his hot neighbor from across the street."

Cavil on
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited December 2006
    Hoz wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    Hoz wrote:
    Poldy wrote:

I don't see how someone could even understand the latest one without having read the book. In retrospect the only thing I liked about it is that it brought back a sense of outer space to film. Say what you want about the length of the shots in 2001 and its ilk, older movies conveyed a sense of the vastness of space that has been missing from film for a while.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hoz wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    Hoz wrote:
    Poldy wrote:

I don't see how someone could even understand the latest one without having read the book. In retrospect the only thing I liked about it is that it brought back a sense of outer space to film. Say what you want about the length of the shots in 2001 and its ilk, older movies conveyed a sense of the vastness of space that has been missing from film for a while.

Is the remake that one with George Clooney? Oh god I rented that and watched it and was just like, 'buh?' for the entire movie.

Sheri on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    I am not familiar with dark city, therefore I ask you to elaborate

i dont know how to explain it without giving it away, so i would simply say that its a great movie and you should see it

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Mr. White XDMr. White XD Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Any Christmas movie my family insists on watching every year. I cant stand watching A Christmas Story every night the week leading up to christmas.... fuck that movie

Mr. White XD on
    Mr+white+Xd.gif
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Any Christmas movie my family insists on watching every year. I cant stand watching A Christmas Story every night the week leading up to christmas.... fuck that movie
    FUCK YOU
    CHRISTMAS STORY IS AWESOME

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited December 2006
    Sheri wrote:
    Hoz wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    Hoz wrote:
    Poldy wrote:

Is the remake that one with George Clooney? Oh god I rented that and watched it and was just like, 'buh?' for the entire movie.

Exactly. It's a pity because the book is a nice mystery that shows a love of the scientific method and psychological horror.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Forrest Gump overrated? It's the only movie that brings tears to my manly, manly eyes every time I watch it.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    Mr. White XDMr. White XD Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    FUCK YOU

Not after the third viewing in one day.

Then your eyes glaze over and you descend into a deep vegetative state wondering when the pain will end.

"HAHAHA HE CANT MOVE HIS ARMS IN HIS JACKET THATS SO CUTE AND FUNNY!!!"

No, it's corny and old as hell, FUCK YOU FLICK, FUCK YOU FOR LICKING THAT POLE AND MAKING THIS MOVIE MEMORABLE!

Mr. White XD on
    Mr+white+Xd.gif
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    2001: A Space . . . zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Shinto on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    FUCK YOU

Then your eyes glaze over and you descend into a deep vegetative state wondering when the pain will end.

No, it's corny and old as hell, FUCK YOU FLICK, FUCK YOU FOR LICKING THAT POLE AND MAKING THIS MOVIE MEMORABLE!
    I can watch it endlessly

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    unilateralunilateral Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    FUCK YOU

I can watch it endlessly

One year my mom bought A Christmas Story, It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street on VHS all at once with the intention of making the family watch them.

We ended up watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation every year...until Napoleon Dynamite came out. The parents seem to love that kid.

unilateral on
  • Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    FUCK YOU
    First time I have exactly agreed with Kusu in recent memory.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    jmillikin wrote:
    Part of the plot was that average humans simply can't accept that the Matrix isn't real. In the beginning, Morpheus trains Neo to ignore his notions about how the world operates to be able to better fight within the Matrix. That implies there is some degree of difficulty in doing so. In fact, even by the end of the series Neo is still the only human who can do so much as dodge bullets.

You're right about the battery theory being bogus though. It requires more energy to keep a human being alive than whatever could possibly be extracted from our bio-chemical or neurological electricity. Those lightning storms would seem to be a more credible alternative.

Not that its really important, but I read that originally the humans were being used for parallel processing (since the human brain is basicly a really efficient computer) but they decided against it because they worried no one would know what that is (which is a good business move).

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    More like an insult to the audience. How hard is it to hold up a circuit board instead of a Duracell?

Cavil on
  • Options
    KMGorKMGor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It requires more energy to keep a human being alive than whatever could possibly be extracted from our bio-chemical or neurological electricity.

I was under the impression they were more or less using humans to convert bio matter into electrical energy.

Another question is why they didn't simply lobotomize every human into a vegetative state. Or for that matter, use a different animal. Or engineer one which worked best for their purposes.

KMGor on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    More like an insult to the audience. How hard is it to hold up a circuit board instead of a Duracell?

Maybe parallel processing was somewhat unheard of in 1999? I dont know I was pretty young back then.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Man how can you call Wizard of Oz overrated?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Doodmann wrote:
    Maybe parallel processing was somewhat unheard of in 1999? I dont know I was pretty young back then.

Then they could use a neural net conception. Anything but the power cell write-off.

Cavil on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Especially considering how widespread the 10% myth is

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Charmy wrote:

Huh.

Look, there's nothing inherent in the medium that says it has to be used for entertainment. It can be used for whatever the hell the people working in it want. If they want to create art, then goddamnit they can go create art.

Seriously, I don't even know how to respond to this. It's like the people who say cartoons can only ever be for kids.
    No fucking shit? And people like me can judge whatever these people produce... which is what I'm doing. Are you seriously retarded enough to believe that what people do or create is exempt from criticism because of their freedom to do so? They can create and I can judge it on whatever merits I see fit. And you can make dumbass attacks on these merits like you just did. It's a wonderful fucking thing we call existence. It just is. We can all just do... whatever. Isn't that special?

And really the only flaw in my comment was that it wasn't wide enough. The aim of all mediums is entertainment in some form.

Hoz on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    A History of Violence

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    my head asploded when I saw Dark City for the first time, post-Matrix.

If I remember right, the first scene seemed like a direct shot-for-shot copy of the first scene in Matrix. that is, until, I realized.... that Dark City came first!!!

I can't deny though that I love the first Matrix. I absolutely hate the last two (with the exception of the Zion scenes)

That being said...I don't see this thread as being entirely productive. Just a whole lot of ".....no YOUR opinion sucks!"

VoodooV on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    yeah I'm not really looking to read most of it but I can't believe it's gone on this long.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I can.

Ultimatehulk2.jpg

Cavil on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's not really critically acclaimed or anything, but I don't understand why the film Anchorman is so popular.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cokomon wrote:
    It's not really critically acclaimed or anything, but I don't understand why any movie starring Will Ferrell is so popular.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jmillikin wrote:
    Cokomon wrote:
    It's not really critically acclaimed or anything, but I don't understand why any movie starring Will Ferrell is so popular.

HELLO PEOPLE I AM YELLING RIGHT NOW I HOPE THAT YOU FIND IT FUNNY THIS IS THE JOKE.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jmillikin wrote:
    Cokomon wrote:

Stranger than fiction was surprising. The ending was not at all what I was expecting in terms of quality.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    anchorman and a night at the roxbury are the only movies he's in that I like at all. He's been... well... overrated in my opinion for a long time. he does some stuff well but because of that they started putting him in skits that were terrible but people would laugh just because it's him. THis has gone on to movies.

Variable on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Needs more Casablanca. It's pretty meh in my book. I really don't understand any of the love it gets. Pretty funny story, I was talking to my folks one day about old movies (they are pretty big film buffs) and they actually have the same opinion about it as I do. I thought that was pretty neat.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Anchorman is overrated. all will ferrel movies other than Old School, Elf, and Stranger than Fiction are overrated. those three movies are wholly deserving of the praise they have been given.

A Christmas Story is eternal, along with National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

also, my mother owns every version of A Christmas Carol that has ever existed on film, i think. i'm not sure what to think. overrated?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Old School didn't really do anything for me. Anchorman I'm not saying is brilliant, but it isn't that bad. I haven't seen Stranger Than Fiction, I'm just not interested, I don't really like him at all anymore.

Variable on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    also, my mother owns every version of A Christmas Carol that has ever existed on film, i think. i'm not sure what to think. overrated?

I think I don't really care for Dickens in general because he's been rehashed and cribbed from around a billion times by cheap hollywood hacks writing everything from sit-coms to cartoons. Since I was exposed to the above before actual Dickens, the original was what came off as old and trite.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Variable wrote:
    Old School didn't really do anything for me. Anchorman I'm not saying is brilliant, but it isn't that bad. I haven't seen Stranger Than Fiction, I'm just not interested, I don't really like him at all anymore.
    I'm not mad about Old School either, but Anchorman is easily my favorite comedy in AGES. It's about so much more than just Will Ferrell playing a funny character. The comedy is actually really smart and really biting -- it's about the last era where men could just be self-righteous, smug, stuck up sexists and get away with it because they were men. All the guys in that film are dinosaurs who have survived in bits and places to the present day, but for the most part are an extinct species, because people like Veronica Corningstone came and embarrassed them all. I think there's so many more jokes than just Will Ferrell acting funny.

Also, Will Ferrell is a great comedic actor. Even if on SNL he plays to the same comedic points a lot, this hardly diminishes him -- this is the story of every great comedic actor on SNL ever. I think he's great.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Variable wrote:

you might enjoy stranger than fiction. he actually does the "acting" thing rather than the "LOOKIT ME I'M CRAZY" thing. it's not a very funny movie. more poignant than anything, really.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg