Options

He belongs in a museum - Indiana Jones 5 on the way

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Where's the Spielberg interview you guys were talking about.
    Special Features on the DVD.

And whatever, Sith was refreshingly mediocre compared to the horror of Eps 1 and 2, while Return of The Jedi was incredibly awesome, but showed some imperfections unlike Eps 4 and 5. You are wildly confusing those movies compared to their trilogy brethren with those movies compared to each other.

Yar on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I still think Fate of Atlantis is the best idea. Fountain of Youth is too close to the Holy Grail (whee! More everlasting life!).
    Based on this thread that seems to be what everyone wants, just more of the same.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I throw my hat in with the cautiously optimistic crowd. I'm not to bothered by how old Harrison Ford is. To be honest I don't think it would be the first movie to feature a hero who is older. But I would definitely reiterate what someone said earlier; there needs to be less action and more mystery in the next film. Especially considering the age issue, it could use a lot more sneaking around solving mysteries and a lot less over the top action scenes. You'd still have them of course, but just less of them.

Speaking of over the top action scenes, I don't understand how anyone could say that the action scenes in crystal skull where anything but completely, batshit, insanely unrealistic. I mean I know Indiana Jones has always been about pushing the limits, but come on. The fridge scene? The car over a cliff onto a tree scene? There is a difference between very improbable to just totally unrealistic. AFAIK, in the other three movies there were no scenes that came off as being so comically unrealistic.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    the scene people will go to is the falling out of an airplane into river rapids on a ... thing, whatever. that was pretty silly. but I'll say it didn't FEEL as off as some similar stuff did in crystal skull. I'm sure I'd have to watch both again to have any sort of approach at explaining why... but I bet we could do it :P

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    they fell out of a plane on an inflatable raft, and then sledded down the side of a mountain on the inflatable raft, off a cliff, and into a river, complete with Willie screaming the entire time.

"I hate getting wet and I HATE YOU!"

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    It didn't feel as off because you weren't a kid anymore. :)

I'm ok with a new one, as I don't think we have been committed to too much that will ruin things. For better or worse, though, I will have to realize that at least part of the movie will be made to appeal to an audience that I am no longer a part of. (I liked Lucas and Spielberg when they were making movies for an audience that was closer to their own age. Seems that the further they have gotten from childhood, the more exaggerated they think everything has to be for appeal. And no, I don't really have anything to back this up. Just a feeling. :))

taeric on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    taeric wrote: »
    It didn't feel as off because you weren't a kid anymore. :)

I can accept that. I haven't watched Temple in ages so I don't know how I'd react now.

:D

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    The Russians are perfectly serviceable villains. James Bond kicked their asses for decades and nobody complained. Not to mention the fact that Nazis in the 50s/60s is just going to look like they were desperate for ideas and just said "Fuck it we'll just do the nazis again".
    Indiana Jones ain't a superspy. He's a dude with a whip looking for lost artifacts. What the fuck is he gonna wage a Cold War over? Is he gonna swoop in and take away Ho Chi Minh's Six Demon Bag? Will he steal the Firefox? He's good fighting Nazis because of the Adventure! schtick. It's just close enough to the pulp era for it to fit the genre. Hell, if nothing else, they should be dialing it back in time, not forward.

GungHo on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    He actively hates the nAzis to, look at how he reacts to them burning books and hording treasures he believes belong to the world.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    I throw my hat in with the cautiously optimistic crowd. I'm not to bothered by how old Harrison Ford is. To be honest I don't think it would be the first movie to feature a hero who is older. But I would definitely reiterate what someone said earlier; there needs to be less action and more mystery in the next film. Especially considering the age issue, it could use a lot more sneaking around solving mysteries and a lot less over the top action scenes. You'd still have them of course, but just less of them.

Speaking of over the top action scenes, I don't understand how anyone could say that the action scenes in crystal skull where anything but completely, batshit, insanely unrealistic. I mean I know Indiana Jones has always been about pushing the limits, but come on. The fridge scene? The car over a cliff onto a tree scene? There is a difference between very improbable to just totally unrealistic. AFAIK, in the other three movies there were no scenes that came off as being so comically unrealistic.

I'd say it's partly that we have higher standards now. For example, is swinging on a vine really more silly than swinging across a ravine on a thin leather strand that can be dislodged with a slight shake of the wrist?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    they fell out of a plane on an inflatable raft, and then sledded down the side of a mountain on the inflatable raft, off a cliff, and into a river, complete with Willie screaming the entire time.

"I hate getting wet and I HATE YOU!"

Indeed I was very wrong.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not much of a fan of crystal skull, but the ants, or whatever, eating that dude's head? Awesome!

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    hamhamJ can we not do this in the indiana jones thread, if you want to make a star wars topic do so. im dropping it

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    All this aside - Lucas "having a story" for 5 is not the same thing as Indy Jones being "on the way." it's not coming any time soon. He's had a story for "Red Tails" for over 20 years and that's only just now getting made. He had the story for Radioland Murders for 20 years before that finally got filmed. How long was he talking about the Star Wars prequels?

This is a story that isn't a story.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well he can't put it off forever if he plans on Harrison Ford (or for that matter, anybody in the original cast at all like John Rhys-Davies or Karen Allen or whoever) being in the movie. Those people aren't getting any younger and they're already pretty damn old, at least for an action-adventure movie.

Hell, Lucas himself isn't getting any younger, for that matter. He's already like 60 or some shit.

Duffel on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    All this aside - Lucas "having a story" for 5 is not the same thing as Indy Jones being "on the way." it's not coming any time soon. He's had a story for "Red Tails" for over 20 years and that's only just now getting made. He had the story for Radioland Murders for 20 years before that finally got filmed. How long was he talking about the Star Wars prequels?

Seeing as you like to correct others on which creative element came up with which crappy scene from Crystal Skull, you should note that it is Spielberg who is said to have come up with a story for 5, not Lucas. Lucas is supposedly at work on writing something now, but the story idea is supposedly all Spielberg at this point.

Harrison Ford, Lucas, and Spielberg all being in agreement on the basic story at this point, and Lucas actively writing, is actually something of a (news) story.

Ketar on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm not sure what to answer on the poll. I was meh about Crystal Skull, I was meh about there being another one 'in the works'. I'll see it, but... hmmm.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Jebus314 wrote: »

I'd say it's partly that we have higher standards now. For example, is swinging on a vine really more silly than swinging across a ravine on a thin leather strand that can be dislodged with a slight shake of the wrist?

Well no, but it was presented in a way that didn't seem ridiculous. Lots of stuff in the original trilogy was pretty daft when you look back but the way it was shown and the way the films flowed you just went with it. Crystal skull just didn't have that same feel. IMO of course.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One of the most saddening moments in Crystal Skulls was how Indy's father and Marcus Brodie were both dead. And then Sallah's nowhere to be found. The series is being kept alive passed its due, you just need to look at the characters that made it great to figure that out. Our hero's an old fogey, his friends are dead, and his protege is The Beef.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ketar wrote: »

Seeing as you like to correct others on which creative element came up with which crappy scene from Crystal Skull, you should note that it is Spielberg who is said to have come up with a story for 5, not Lucas. Lucas is supposedly at work on writing something now, but the story idea is supposedly all Spielberg at this point.

Harrison Ford, Lucas, and Spielberg all being in agreement on the basic story at this point, and Lucas actively writing, is actually something of a (news) story.

Not trying to be confrontational, but where'd you hear that? The quote I heard was that George concieved it and was working on it, and similar quotes have been posted in this thread.

But Ford, Lucas and Spielberg had agreed on their story for Indy 4 for a good 10 years before a script took shape. Again, this isn't really news. This is Ford saying "I'm cool with a paycheck on this whenever they wanna start shooting things."

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ketar wrote: »

Not trying to be confrontational, but where'd you hear that? The quote I heard was that George concieved it and was working on it, and similar quotes have been posted in this thread.

But Ford, Lucas and Spielberg had agreed on their story for Indy 4 for a good 10 years before a script took shape. Again, this isn't really news. This is Ford saying "I'm cool with a paycheck on this whenever they wanna start shooting things."

Here and here.

I had read various articles and rumors a while back on 2 different stories that Lucas was supposed to have in mind for Indy 5, and at least one of those was definitely nixed by Spielberg, Ford, or both.

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Very cool. Thanks for that. :)

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    You know, if he is going after the fountain of youth, that would put him in the south, creating a perfect opportunity to set him against America's Nazis: the KKK.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I like the idea of a college professor WHIPPING THE SHIT out of ignorant uneducated rednecks.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    You know, if he is going after the fountain of youth, that would put him in the south, creating a perfect opportunity to set him against America's Nazis: the KKK.

Young Indy to be played by Nathen Fillion.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32841449/ns/entertainment-celebrities/
    Harrison Ford, 67, says he's already ready for the globe-trotting archaeologist's next adventure, only a year after one of history's most successful film franchises was revived — and that the next chapter is already well on its way.

I dunno about you guys but I'm pretty excited about this. Crystal Skull was a pretty decent film-certainly no worse than Temple of Doom. Hopefully they put a little more time into the CGI in the next one, and it should be pretty decent. Lets speculate what it will be about. Atlantis?

Also, this thread can be used to talk about past Indiana Jones movies and other stuff.

So I read this elsewhere and it still appalls me that Lucas conned both Spielberg and Ford into agreeing about aliens for skull. That got me worrying about what he'll shoehorn into this.

That took about an hour. Some of the abominations include an ancient race of cave people, Dragons, a hot Sexy British tomb Robber that uses two pistols , hippies trying to create a peaceful world with a demon object , and of course more aliens.

After that I just decided I will never pay to see this movie.

I still like the first three though.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, Crystal Skull missed big time, and in no small part to mixing up the formula.

First three:
    - Supernatural elements
    - Tough villains
    - Interesting female lead
    - Filmed on location
    - Host of cool friends

Skull:
    - Science fiction
    - Bland villains
    - Boring, recycled female lead
    - Filmed on sets
    - Lame friends

It reminds me so much of the prequels in the way that the creative talent thought that you could ignore everything that made the originals popular and still somehow make a faithful product.

It's like going back to a restaurant that serves great steak and potatoes, and having the chef tell you, "Hey, if you like our steak, you're going to love our ground chicken meatballs and pasta!" Sure, the place looks the same, but it's not what you came for.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Holy shit, someone arrange for this Filion-Indy vs. the KKK movie right the fuck now.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, Crystal Skull missed big time, and in no small part to mixing up the formula.

First three:
    - Supernatural elements
    - Tough villains
    - Interesting female lead
    - Filmed on location
    - Host of cool friends

Skull:
    - Science fiction
    - Bland villains
    - Boring, recycled female lead
    - Filmed on sets
    - Lame friends

I think this is a good summation, although ToD also fell through on the love interest. Blonde whatshername was just your typical shrieking damsel in distress with an annoying personality to boot.

I also thought Cate Blanchett was the most miscast person in the movie. I simply wasn't buying her as some sort of crazy Rosa Klebb-esque soviet ice queen.

And, although I know most people don't agree, I actually thought Mutt was a pretty decent character or at least had the potential to be one. I like the idea that Indiana Jones' son is a bike-obsessed 50s greaser who dropped out of prep school. It just seemed fitting that his son would have a rebellious punk streak and the whole James Dean/Marlo Brando thing seems like a good fit.

The rest of the supporting cast was lame, though. The fat dude who kept backstabbing everybody was completely forgettable and the guy whos job was basically to carry the skull around and provide plot coupons when necessary wasn't any better. Mostly, though, I was just glad they didn't fuck Sallah over and turn him into the traitor character. That alone would have changed my opinion of the movie from, "Not too bad" to "pissed".

Duffel on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought crystal skull was a terrible movie but I still kinda liked it despite its inconsistency and dumb dumb ending.

however, even if movie 5 is shit, I want to see it just so I know how terrible it could be.

If they make it incredibly terrible, it will only increase my appreciation of the first 3 movies.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Mutt WOULD have been ok IF he wasn't Indys son. His being Indys son means that unlike the majority of one-shot girls and allies he will now be shoehorned in as a sidekick into the next and any further installments of these movies. It was a stupid plot point with a flavour of the month who Spielberg and Lucas seem to have a huge boner for because hes the great Jewish hope. And Allen not telling him about it for nearly 2 decades and then being brought in, why couldnt she have died instead of Sean?

I'd love for them to go after a new treasure that Sean was after which they think got him killed and it turns out hes alive but trapped. I'd also like for Mutt to be off at college or whatever and not a part of any future films.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    I really liked the shot where the Russian tough guy bends down to tie his shoelace and the four guys behind him fan out and let rip. Spielberg still has a kind of visual flourish that reminds me of the stuff Hitchcock used to do.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It was a stupid plot point with a flavour of the month who Spielberg and Lucas seem to have a huge boner for because hes the great Jewish hope.

wow.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It was a stupid plot point with a flavour of the month who Spielberg and Lucas seem to have a huge boner for because hes the great Jewish hope.

wow.

Because G_d knows there aren't any other Jewish actors in Hollywood they could have picked up.

Also, does this mean George Lucas converted?

Duffel on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

wow.

See this is why I said I didn't like to agree with DarkWarrior on things

Shit like this right here

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited September 2009

wow.

Two things:

George Lucas is Methodist.

Shia LeBeouf is Cajun French.

Atomika on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    But they look kinda Jewish?

I got nothin...

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited September 2009

wow.

Two things:

George Lucas is Methodist.

Shia LeBeouf is Cajun French.

Well, according to wiki, LeBeouf's mother is in fact Jewish and he had a Bar Mitzvah (although is father is, as you said, a Cajun), but Lucas is and always has been a WASP. I guess DW thought he was Jewish because... he's got a beard and he's a director, maybe?

Although I still don't know what the hell it supposedly had to do with KotCS's casting.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Although I still don't know what the hell it supposedly had to do with KotCS's casting.

It's not exactly inappropriate to claim Spielberg's gotta hard-on for Judaism. He is the guy that made Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, and Munich, after all. On top of that, he's pretty much single-handedly responsible for making Shia LeBeouf a movie star, getting him roles in Disturbia, the Transformers films, and Crystal Skull, despite very minimal acting talent, critical reviews, or good looks on LeBeouf's part.

Eh, I think it's okay to make a case that LeBeouf's career could be a little race-based nepotism.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nepotism maybe, but I think jumping directly to race/religion as the cause is a bit of a stretch. It's not uncommon for directors to do that sort of thing for a younger actor, and sometimes it turns out really well - look what Scorcese did for Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert DeNiro.

Of course, both of those guys have Italian names too, but DiCaprio is apparently more German than Italian ancestry-wise, and DeNiro's Italian roots are much more dubious than many people think.

As far as Spielberg's appreciation for Judaism goes - well, yeah, obviously. That's a big part of his life and his heritage, it's obviously going to factor into his artistic work. But saying he's making casting calls simply on the basis of ethnicity seems like jumping to conclusions. It's not like Roy Schneider or Liam Neeson or Tom Cruise or any other number of people we could list were selected on that basis.

Duffel on