As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Community Meetup: Boston Nov 7th is probably bust, Fancy dinner + Concert?

Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in PAX Archive
The Committee To Elect The Committee That Decides On What To Elect

AKA The PAXtriots, are a secret cabal, that control the United States of America.The group is initially revealed as an inner circle consisting of twelve people known as the The Wangmen's Committee.

...or not. At any rate, this thread is to organize the first (of many) official gatherings intended to bring together PAXers from NE. Our mission is two fold:
  1. Get the community together and put names to faces
  2. Discuss and plan community events for the inaugural e-PAX
  3. Get drunk
  4. Discuss and plan future, more grandiose, gatherings
  5. Okay fourfold
  6. Or did that one count?
  7. damnit

Our First Event

Tentatively, I propose our first official meet-up happen at 12pm on October 10th, 2009 at one of the following locations based on community response.
  • Summer Shack (Casual seafood)
  • Sushi (Not sure which one of the restaurants is best)
  • Solas Irish Pub (Irish food. Also beer.)
  • Other (Please specify because there is no restaurant nearby called Other)

Not only will this event give us a chance to eat, drink, and be Jerry but it will also give us a chance to get familiar with the area around the convention center so we can pass that information on to others and help plan community events. This will also be a good time to plan bigger, better events such as laser tag, renting out bars, or whatever else you crazy kids want to do.

Please post your intent to attend and whether you're definitely coming or not.

Definite
1. Atlus Parker
2. Usagi
3. VisionOfClarity +??
4. Sir Cuddlez
5. tehnakki
6. BlahKrax
7. VThornheart +1 (???)
8. ukiyo e
9. DaNerd
10. undead
11. Waterborn (after 2pm)
12. PeasantDave
13. The Otaku Suppository

Maybe
1. DeathPrawn
2. ElectricTurtle (C'monnnnnn, it's only $40 roundtrip on BangBus)

Hope to see at least one of you there! Also feel free to use this thread to pitch ideas for other meet-ups as well.

Atlus Parker on

• YoshipantsYoshipants Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey there! I freely admit to being a total newbie with the conventions and only a casual reader of PA, and the only game I play is WoW. However, I bought my husband and myself tickets to e-PAX, and I'm definitely looking forward to the experience. We're recent transplants to Boston/Cambridge from NYC (though I'm an '01 BU alum, so I do know a little something about the town), and currently in the city, I know: my husband, .... and, well, my husband, pretty much. So long story short, I've been looking for something in which to get involved and for people to meet, and this looks like it would be really fun!

I'll have to check my calendar and make sure I'm available for the 10th, but please put me down for a "maybe." Also, I voted for Summer Shack, but I'm also down for sushi or Vietnamese or anything tasty and delectable.

Yoshipants on
  • YoshipantsYoshipants Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Aww, hell. I'm out of town that weekend. But the weekend prior is free!!! :D

Yoshipants on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Checking my schedule. I should be able to make it up.

PeasantDave on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I should be able to make this and whichever place is closest to a T stop please.

I'll see if I can round up a couple other Bostonian forumers while I'm at it.

Usagi on
  • IzzieIzzie It's The Avatar BostonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hmm. I've been looking for an excuse to go back up to boston, but that weekend is Video Game Xpo in philly :<
    Which I originally planned on going to...
    but i'm starting to lose interest since I volunteered and they're extremely disorganized and apparently don't have rooming for staff.

Either way, if I don't get some things finalized in the next week or so, I might step down and come to this instead.

Izzie on
    http://izziebytes.net // http://twitter.com/izziebot // G+
    Terrorizing the Gaming Universe one post at a time...
    edited September 2009
    Hrm... it appears my traveling buddy is busy. So I am probably out unless someone else wants to make the trip from NJ/NYC.

PeasantDave on
  • DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If I'm going, I'd be coming out of NYC...

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm in, Tank works, but we can probably get Javen and Otaku in. Time for a Spandinavia reunion. We should pm Scarlet and see if he's still in the North End and I bet we could get Thorgot to come in. I think that covers everyone at the last Khoo meet up at least. We should see if JohnHam will finally come join us though.

Summer Shack doesn't have a lunch menu so it'd be a crappy place to head at 2pm. As much as the night service pisses me off at Sunset, during the day it's pretty good and they have one of the best beer selections in the city. Closer to downtown I like Silvertone and Tantric. I've also always wanted to try Charlie's Beer Garden in Cambridge.

VisionOfClarity on
  • SirCuddlezSirCuddlez Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm in. I marked down other on the poll. If you're wanting a place near Hynes how about something like Pour House? But really anywhere is cool with me!

SirCuddlez on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Usagi: I don't get to Boston very much but there appears to be several green line stops right near the convention center.

VisionOfClarity: I don't know what a Spandinavia is? Also duly noted on Summer Shack.

SirCuddlez: Pour House is right across the street from the Hynes and sounds like a better option than Summer Shack.

Atlus Parker on
    edited September 2009
    You will find out what Spandinavia is but it involves a trip to see the seals outside the aquarium.

Kantankeris and I went to Summer Shack for lunch a couple weeks ago and had to bastardize a lunch that wasn't $20+ a plate. It seems to be a better dinner place.

VisionOfClarity on
  • WaterbornWaterborn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have to work until 2 pm in Allston on the 10th, but can join up with everyone afterward. I voted for sushi, but am open to pretty much anything.

On a somewhat related note, I am working on a fundraising event for Childs Play to be held sometime during PAX_EC week. Look for a separate thread on this event coming a little bit later tonight. The event will include music and hopefully will be held at a very cool venue (should have a confirmation on this tomorrow). Anyway, I should have more info on the 10th in case anyone wants to get involved.

Waterborn on
    http://www.2old2play.com/Blog/Waterborn
    East Coast Correspondent for 2Old2Play.com
    edited September 2009
    Waterborn, does this charity event have anything to do with classic gaming?

Usagi on
  • WaterbornWaterborn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am hoping to include some classic gaming components such as coin-op games at the venue. I just posted a related thread requesting community input and ideas. Check it out and post any input there.

Waterborn on
    http://www.2old2play.com/Blog/Waterborn
    East Coast Correspondent for 2Old2Play.com
  • avatrixavatrix Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll be happy to meet up where ever it happens. My wife lived for two years a couple blocks from the Hynes when we were dating, so I know the area pretty well. Plus an excuse to hang out and drink with cool/geeky folks is good in my book.

avatrix on
    edited September 2009
    Waterborn wrote: »
    I am hoping to include some classic gaming components such as coin-op games at the venue. I just posted a related thread requesting community input and ideas. Check it out and post any input there.

done and done

Usagi on
  • BlahKraxBlahKrax Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I will definitely be there. Also, wouldn't mind some seafood.

BlahKrax on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cool! I'll be there! I'll bring the Missus along too! =) Seafood will probably be safest for her with her wheat allergies, so I'll vote for that. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Usagi: I don't get to Boston very much but there appears to be several green line stops right near the convention center.

Yeah, there's a green line stop that's called "Hynes Convention Center" lol. There's also the "Prudential" stop, which would also work since the convention center is connected to prudential.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm there.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited September 2009
    Is there going to be an age limit on this meeting... I'm 18, so I wouldn't be able to go to any bars or anything... Also, I work till 2 that day, but I'm only 10-15 min from prudential, so I could be there around 2:15. That okay?

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
    edited September 2009
    Anybody traveling from NY/NJ

boltbus is your best friend :
    https://www.boltbus.com/default.aspx

20 dollar round trip ny <--> bos if you reserve ahead of time. 20 dollars one way if you go on standby (show up an hour early to get first on the list!)

if you sign up for an account, every 5 trips you take you get one free.

FREE WIFI
    Comfy leather seats.
    I enjoy bolt bus. they're cheaper/better than greyhound.

~Izz

p.s. we could always plan to get on the same bus and terrorize the "normal" people.

Izzie on
    edited September 2009
    Izzie wrote: »

20 dollar round trip ny <--> bos if you reserve ahead of time. 20 dollars one way if you go on standby (show up an hour early to get first on the list!)

FREE WIFI
    Comfy leather seats.

~Izz

p.s. we could always plan to get on the same bus and terrorize the "normal" people.

Where would we depart from on the bus? Who else is interested from Jersey?

PeasantDave on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I will maybe be there - I'm supposed to be running a Quidditch team practice from 1 to 3, but I'll see what I can do.

My vote is for Sumer Shack.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll be moving that weekend so I won't be able to make it this time. However, I am currently scheduled to be working in Cambridge for the first 9 weeks of the the year so in THE FUTURE(!) I should be able to make it with ease.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
    edited September 2009

If I go, I'd be interested.
    THough, i'm not sure what day i'd head up, i might wanna make a weekend of it and chill with friends.

Either way, pick-up/drop-off in NY is on 34th and 8th, right behind penn sta by the Tick-Tock diner, which is pretty convenient for anyone using NJTransit trains.
    If you take a bus to port authority from NJ, you'd have to catch a cab or take the subway down to 34th.

Drop off/pick-up in Boston is in South Station, I forget which gate. Though it's a terminal so it's not that hard to find out.

Izzie on
    edited September 2009
    LTAcosta wrote: »
    Is there going to be an age limit on this meeting... I'm 18, so I wouldn't be able to go to any bars or anything... Also, I work till 2 that day, but I'm only 10-15 min from prudential, so I could be there around 2:15. That okay?

There isn't an age limit on the dinner portion unless some of these places are 21+, but afterwards we'll probably all want to go barhopping. You're welcome to join up until that point or just have a sweet fake ID.

Atlus Parker on
    edited September 2009

There isn't an age limit on the dinner portion unless some of these places are 21+, but afterwards we'll probably all want to go barhopping. You're welcome to join up until that point or just have a sweet fake ID.

Where was your sweet fake ID last time?

PeasantDave on
    edited September 2009

My ID last time consisted of me begging to be served as I had lost it the previous day.

Atlus Parker on
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

My ID last time consisted of me begging to be served as I had lost it the previous day.
    Lesson learned for the future: Go to the respectable places if you don't want to be carded because they aren't on their last strike for serving to minors.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited September 2009
    Izzie wrote: »

FREE WIFI
    Comfy leather seats.

~Izz

I'd be coming from NYC, but same bus. I was going to do the Fung Wah bus, but this is a little cheaper.

You can put me down for definite, I confirmed the day off from work today.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
    edited September 2009
    Eh, I Just found out that I have a wedding to attend on this day. I'll still be coming, if only for a few hours. I can at least fit some decent drinking into that time. Would anyone be opposed to bumping the meetign a few hours earlier? Say 12pm?

Atlus Parker on
    edited September 2009
    I'm OK with that Atlus

Usagi on
    edited September 2009
    That works better actually.

VisionOfClarity on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sounds good to me!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited September 2009
    That'll work.

DaNerd on
    edited September 2009
    Looks like I'll sit this one out then since I'll still be at work. Thats fine though, I'll just jump in on the next one.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • SirCuddlezSirCuddlez Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Freakin' weddings always messing everything up. But seriously that's fine with me.

SirCuddlez on
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This sounds great. If something like this could also be organized just prior to PAX East, the PAX Community DVD would love to join you guys.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
    edited September 2009
    papaprinny wrote: »
    This sounds great. If something like this could also be organized just prior to PAX East, the PAX Community DVD would love to join you guys.

I will keep organizing these events per community for them up the convention itself where I'll top it all off with the bar crawl.

Atlus Parker on