Options

How I Met Your Mother Season 9: A factual statement is that the series finale sucked.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Robin and Barney was the greatest thing ever you swine.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    "Really, dad? You fucking declared your love for Aunt Robin again? This story is about mom, and not how you wish you actually were still boning our longtime family friend, right?"

• Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    I felt like that came out of nowhere.
    When he was talking to Barney about having that one person on his mind... it didn't really come off as if he had anyone on his mind. Although he mentioned he didn't belong there either.

sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    It's okay because it's all part of the big plan guys not a ploy to continue this show forever

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote:
    Robin and Barney was the greatest thing ever you swine.

I'm pretty much bored to death with Barney's shtick.

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    I'm hoping that the ending of that episode will be brushed off quickly in the beginning of the next episode rather than explored.

I mean come on...
    Robin hasn't even had a chance to shit out the last meal she ate with Kevin and Ted's already trying to slide in there while she vulnerable. Just because he doesn't have anyone at the moment, doesn't mean that he should reach for the closest available thing.

At most I'll accept a quick hookup, followed by the realization that they just don't work. Like Kevin/Robin, Ted/Robin's future plans don't jive either, so I don't understand why the writers feel the need to explore this further.

Oh well...

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Because Russian Ted looks 20 and Russian Barney looks early 60s
    Decoy wrote:
    I'm hoping that the ending of that episode will be brushed off quickly in the beginning of the next episode rather than explored.

I mean come on...
    Robin hasn't even had a chance to shit out the last meal she ate with Kevin and Ted's already trying to slide in there while she vulnerable. Just because he doesn't have anyone at the moment, doesn't mean that he should reach for the closest available thing.

At most I'll accept a quick hookup, followed by the realization that they just don't work. Like Kevin/Robin, Ted/Robin's future plans don't jive either, so I don't understand why the writers feel the need to explore this further.

Oh well...

Well the end of the Victoria episode earlier this season hinted that this topic would be revisited and that we'd we'd get some closer to it.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    the only closure I need right now is
    Robin tossing Ted off the roof.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Ted + Robin:
    Even if she blows him off and calls him a douche for saying that when she was vulnerable, it was a very poopy way of ending an episode. Blah.

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    Here's what I liked in the episode:
    When Barney said he went to MIT and Ted realized that no one actually knows where Barney went to college. I chuckled. Otherwise these past two episodes have been bad. The housing warming party was just the worst. Like Ted.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Because Russian Ted looks 20 and Russian Barney looks early 60s
    Decoy wrote:

I mean come on...

Oh well...

Well the end of the Victoria episode earlier this season hinted that this topic would be revisited and that we'd we'd get some closer to it.

Hah, I'm not denying the foreshadowing, I'm merely pointing out Ted was being an arse. "Nice guy" (and I use the term very loosely at this point) or not, you don't tell a chick you love her in that situation. Then again, he said it on the first date, so what do I know.

Decoy on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    ZeroCow wrote:
    Here's what I liked in the episode:
    When Barney said he went to MIT and Ted realized that no one actually knows where Barney went to college. I chuckled. Otherwise these past two episodes have been bad. The housing warming party was just the worst. Like Ted.
    "her favorite band was Glee"

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I will say the Marshall/Lily wedding night jokes made me laugh. The show has always been good with those kinds of rapid fire jokes in the booth at McLaren's.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    It's okay because it's all part of the big plan guys not a ploy to continue this show forever

It's pretty much the Battlestar Galactica of sitcoms at this point. Turns out that Future Ted was a Cylon/human hybrid all along. Also, Barney's an angel.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    While the house warming episode wasnt great, I did like the combining stories thing so I guess it has that much. But I did like the newest episode, except for it ending...
    Im really hoping they just fuck and then drop it. I have no idea why Robin would try to make it work with Ted since she just broke up with her last boyfriend because of her inability to have kids.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Is that spoiler serious? I'm only about 2 episodes behind, but last I saw Robin was trying to decide between two dudes, and now she goes "Oh hey I pick this other dude"?
    Ted's in love with her, again. We didn't really see her reaction. Also, Barney wants another women who calls him on his BS. So that's new and exciting, right?

Yeah, what eb said.
    Next episode will start with Robin going. "Um, Ted, are you drunk?" And Ted will be all, "Pfsh! Yeah, but just because I needed to be drunk to score with skanks on the drunk train" And then Robin will say, "G'night Ted, I am going to hook up with Barney now because we had sex a couple episodes ago." But Barney will be hooked up with the Anti-Barney stripper girl and they will fall in love but Robin will secretly want Barney and we will wonder if Barney gets married to stripper girl or Robin up until the season finale where we find out that Barney marries Robin and stripper girl introduces Ted to the wife.

Or something like that. Because this show is fairly predictable.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Were any of you ever actually interested in who the mother was? Would people be as pissy about the show if it had a different title and didn't have the 10 seconds with the kids at the start of every episode?

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I'm not interested in who the mother is and I still think the last couple episodes were terrible.

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Tav wrote:
    Were any of you ever actually interested in who the mother was? Would people be as pissy about the show if it had a different title and didn't have the 10 seconds with the kids at the start of every episode?

I honestly think it would have been in a far better position if they hadn't used that framing device, yes. It's painted the writers into a corner, one they wouldn't be in if the show was simply an open ended sitcom about a group of friends and their romantic entanglements.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Tav wrote:

I started out interested in who she was, but it's evolved into now interested into how they are going to pull the whole thing off/tie it back to past hints. Hence why I've gotten frustrated at shit like "And that's how i met your mother.... LOL JK!".... and to an extent the "that's why you never actually existed" moment. There's a difference between using the voice over to drop actual hints at stuff and just plain trolling your audience.

But to speak to your second point, yes I personally think I would like it a little more without the constant "who is the mother" question hanging over the series. Hell, you can keep most of the "scene pausing/inner monologue" stuff. Just have it voiced by the actual actors and make it present tense.

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Tav wrote:

I don't particularly care, but I do find the constant hinting annoying and I'm not even through season 5. That, and knowing whatever relationship he's in is doomed to fail one way or the other detracts from it some.

Quid on
  • Options
    Decoy wrote:

I mean come on...

Oh well...

It will be brushed off quickly.
    Because Ted was still drunk from the drunk train when he said it on the roof. That's the writer's "out".

• Options
    The problem is not with us not knowing or caring who the mother is... the problem is that the premise has worn so thin, and the same ground has been retread so many times, that we no longer care who any of these people are.
    It's not the shows fault really... doesn't every show have diminishing returns once it reaches this many seasons?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Sentry wrote:
    The problem is not with us not knowing or caring who the mother is... the problem is that the premise has worn so thin, and the same ground has been retread so many times, that we no longer care who any of these people are.
    It's not the shows fault really... doesn't every show have diminishing returns once it reaches this many seasons?
    Its Always Sunny doesn't.

• Options
    Tav wrote:
    Sentry wrote:
    Its Always Sunny doesn't.

Good point. I'm just guessing, but I think it might be because the main cast started out as caricatures. Like, they are still basically the same as when the show started. That may be why Seinfeld had such longevity also. The characters didn't really start out normal and get worse... they started out bad and then just stayed the course.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Man how could you guys not like the Burning Beekeeper? That episode was epic-waitforit-dary. The best part of this episode, at least for me, was how removed from continuity it was. Sure it was set at Marshall & Lilly's new house in the burbs, but that was hardly the focus of the episode. If it wasn't for that fact, the episode could be inserted anywhere in the entire series for just a fun little side plot. Sometimes shows need those. Things have been pretty heavy lately in HIMYM, with the Tailgate episode, the Robin can't have kids episodes, and all that. Sometimes a random non-sequitor episode is necessary. Plus it had Martin Short and Chris Eliot.

Drunk Train was good too. It had all sorts of hilarity. Who cares about the omgdrama right at the end. The rest of the episode was solid.

• Options
    Also I hate both the catch phrase legendary and the wait for its.

Those are just dumb.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote:
    Man how could you guys not like the Burning Beekeeper? That episode was epic-waitforit-dary. The best part of this episode, at least for me, was how removed from continuity it was. Sure it was set at Marshall & Lilly's new house in the burbs, but that was hardly the focus of the episode. If it wasn't for that fact, the episode could be inserted anywhere in the entire series for just a fun little side plot. Sometimes shows need those. Things have been pretty heavy lately in HIMYM, with the Tailgate episode, the Robin can't have kids episodes, and all that. Sometimes a random non-sequitor episode is necessary. Plus it had Martin Short and Chris Eliot.

Drunk Train was good too. It had all sorts of hilarity. Who cares about the omgdrama right at the end. The rest of the episode was solid.

you and me lucas

you and me

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Quid wrote:
    Also I hate both the catch phrase legendary and the wait for its.

Those are just dumb.

You must generally hate Barney, then

ObiFett on
  • Options
    I actually love Barney quite a bit. Just not necessarily because I find him to be especially funny. And I definitely do not care for a catch phrase being the joke.

• Options
    Barney's shtick has gotten old, but that's because we're seven seasons in and he has yet to really change aside from being, apparently, more interested in settling down than usual.

• Options
    I accept Barney for what he's meant to be. A foil to Ted's straight man. And while the womanizing does get old it's nice to have someone determined to live life to its fullest while Ted just mopes for however many seasons about not finding the one.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    What were we supposed to conclude from the ...thing at the end during the credits part?
    Obviously that she's a stripper, but did Swarley actually sex her after wingmanning? Or was it that he'd already done so?

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    What were we supposed to conclude from the ...thing at the end during the credits part?
    Obviously that she's a stripper, but did Swarley actually sex her after wingmanning? Or was it that he'd already done so?
    The friend asked if he recognized her. I'm thinking that yes, they sexed, but that Barney has no idea that she's a stripper and that she knows him as one of her regulars.

Barney is so over-sexed and strippered out that the girls have begun to blend together.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    The friend asked if he recognized her. I'm thinking that yes, they sexed, but that Barney has no idea that she's a stripper and that she knows him as one of her regulars.

Barney is so over-sexed and strippered out that the girls have begun to blend together.
    I'm pretty sure they did, since Becky (I'm using her name for Ugly Betty cuz I don't remember her new name) said that she "liked his moves downtown" or something like that.

As for whether I want to know who the mother is... I did... back when Ted was actually an empathetic character.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote:
    Lucascraft wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:

I'm pretty sure they did, since Becky (I'm using her name for Ugly Betty cuz I don't remember her new name) said that she "liked his moves downtown" or something like that.

As for whether I want to know who the mother is... I did... back when Ted was actually an empathetic character.

Name = Quinn, I think

• Options
    Yep, Quinn is right.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Just caught up. love the show, but I am about to say fuck this show.
    after the friends with benefits thing I was like "ok, so that obviously means they will never do this again because it is completely over and played out."

This better just be a drunk lonely ted thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I have a feeling it will be, but there's just no defending any reason for bringing it back. It just seems hackneyed at this point, like beating a dead horse then beating it some more until it turns into a fine paste with which you then dump on a child who's having a bad day.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I wonder if the start of the next episode will be the cutting to the kids throwing things at him and screaming obscenities, and bob goes "just kidding!" We are the kids at this point.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.