As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E PbP] Scales of War Part 1: Rescue at Rivenroar-(OOC thread)

• Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    To clarify, the explosion will happen on the Orge/Gobblin's turn?

Blurbl on
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yup, at the start of round 2, followed by the ogre and the goblins.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Tiamat, you allowed to tell us how big the explosion will be? :P

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nope. Even I need to draw the line.:mrgreen:

DM's gotta keep his secret...

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I need to stop checking the thread every 10 minutes. It always leeds to disapointment. :(

Blurbl on
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sorry, I probably won't be able to post until tomorrow morningish. If you want to move ahead, just assume I delayed.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Then just post a quickie saying you delay. OK then?

BTW Tobaggan, how's that shoulder of Dagarth's?:P

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    TobagganTobaggan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Then just post a quickie saying you delay. OK then?

BTW Tobaggan, how's that shoulder of Dagarth's?:P

It is the burliest of shoulders! But sometimes it needs a second wind...

Tobaggan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I take it only one barrel exploded? Are the others on a fuse or do they need lighting as well?

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I prefer to it more s a chain reaction, in a sense more will go off.

I'm obviously a very bad DM.D:

Cause your all still alive!:?

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Even if they do manage to detach the wagon, we just need to keep knocking the big guy prone so he has trouble moving from the wagon.

Once the map goes up it'll be easier to determine.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Map's up!

Also edited everyone's position.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If only cask 1 exploded and the other three are going to go off in subsequent turns then the melee guys won't be able to close in for 3 more turns. I noticed that it did 14 damage (3d6) in a burst 3. I really don't think any of our melee guys want to be around for the remaining three but at the same time I think we need to keep the ogre and hobgoblins in the blast zone while we stand just outside of it. I can use my thunderwave and phantom bolt to push them back into the explosion zone whilst I think the melee guys should position themselves in a broad front just outside of the burst 3 and ready actions to attack anyone who comes adjacent to them, preferably with powers that push the enemy.

Between us we've got me with thunderwave and phantom bolt, Reth with dragon frost and Ghesh can ready tide of iron, that should be enough to keep the ogre and hobgoblins in the fire.

If we want a prisoner like Ghesh said then it'd probably be best to take the ogre hostage as he's more likely to survive the inferno, three more blasts and those hobgoblins will be toast.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I wouldn't stress over taking the orge hostage. I doubt it would know much, if anything.

Hmm. I know that a readied melee attack hits when a monster moves next to you but BEFORE he attacks. So if the orge gets pushed one square by Tide of Iron during a charge, can he still hit me with the attack componant of the charge since he's still in range? Or does the push interupt the charge? I don't have the PHB with me, and I doubt something this specific would be in it. :D

Man, the image of the cart going up like a bunch of illegal fireworks is awsome.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have Goring Charge, so I can charge in and knock the ogre on it's ass so it has to use a movement action to stand back up.

Alternatively you could just keep pouring down fire on the barrels so that you deal enough damage they all explode at once.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Everybody decided on the plan yet?

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, the fire has conveniently only left one space that's 2 squares open (althought I doubt 1d6 damage is much to a pissed off orge). I've readied Tide of Iron in that spot.

The fire's over the cart so I'm not 100% where the explosion is going to be centred or if Tide of Iron pushs him back enough.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Reth and I both have ranged powers that can move them too. All the melee guys have to do is keep them from escaping too far and we should be able to push them back towards the exploding cart. Just don't forget they can escape to the left as well as down.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Just waiting on Cheese and Tobaggan for their moves...

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Posted.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Now things are 'heating' up now. Hehehe...
    Sorry, I'll go to pun hell now.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You are a bad man.

Alternatively we can push him backwards into the cart again!

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We can try but now that the hobgoblins are ready to attack it might be better for Reth and me to finish of those hobgoblins before they can open fire on us.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So... many... misses...

Edit: I'm thinking of using my Action Point to use Tide of Iron twice, to push back the orge into the range of the explosions.

Those archers should the first priority. (They're on pretty low HP). I've got the orge.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Blurbl wrote: »
    So... many... misses...

Edit: I'm thinking of using my Action Point to use Tide of Iron twice, to push back the orge into the range of the explosions.

Those archers should the first priority. I've got the orge.

Well I can help with either the ogre or the archers, but we need to clear a path so we don't get either burned or beaten to death by opportunity attacks.

RE AoO with threatening reach, can he still only club us with that reach of two if we're moving through a square adjacent to him?

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'll take Gobbo A behind the tree as soon as I can get InvisCastle to work (giving me 500-internal server error) because I can use Cloud of Daggers which is an area spell and not subject to cover.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Goddammit. All these misses.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If I get close enough, since he's bloodied I could push him 3 squares....Will post my action later today.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    RE AoO with threatening reach, can he still only club us with that reach of two if we're moving through a square adjacent to him?

This is from the PHB1 book:
    Moving Provokes: If an enemy leaves a square adjacent to you, you can make an opportunity attack against that enemy. However, you can’t make one if the enemy shifts or teleports or is forced to move
    away by a pull, a push, or a slide.

One per Combatant’s Turn: You can take only one opportunity action during another combatant’s turn,
    but you can take any number during a round. (So it can make AoO attacks once each in your turns).

Threatening Reach: Some creatures have an ability called threatening reach. This lets them make opportunity attacks against nonadjacent enemies. If an enemy leaves a square that’s within the creature’s reach, or if an enemy anywhere within the creature’s reach makes a ranged attack or an area attack, the creature can make an opportunity attack against that enemy.

So as long as your shifting, it shouldn't cause AoO attacks

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Goddammit. All these misses.

I must be stealing all your luck. I'm barely missing anything.

Just remember that my luck can't hold forever, so when you're being eaten by a dragon and my magic suddenly fails it's not my fault :).

Edit: Just counted and I've now hit 10/11. And I've rolled high damage on most of the ones I've hit.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wary of the brute's reach, Mornlok steps forward and swings a blow at the ogre's right side. The attack strikes one of the harness bolts, deflecting it.
    Move action: Shift to L15.
    Standard action: Use Howling Strike.
    Attack roll: 1d20+7= 15. Miss.

COLOR="Lime"]Up Next: Dagarth[/COLORCOLOR="Red"]On Deck: Ogre and Hobgoblin[/COLOR

Isn't Ghesh in L15 now?

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wary of the brute's reach, Mornlok steps forward and swings a blow at the ogre's right side. The attack strikes one of the harness bolts, deflecting it.
    Move action: Shift to L15.
    Standard action: Use Howling Strike.
    Attack roll: 1d20+7= 15. Miss.

COLOR="Lime"]Up Next: Dagarth[/COLORCOLOR="Red"]On Deck: Ogre and Hobgoblin[/COLOR

Isn't Ghesh in L15 now?

Nope, Ghesh is in K15, not L15.

Edit: oops, it Dagarth's in K15, not Ghesh. My bad.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    *SNIP*
    Free: Shift into L15.
    *SNIP*
    He was in K14, then he shifted into L15.

They've both tried to shift into L15. One of them has to shift into K15 instead.

Doesn't matter, I just made the same mistake with Reth and had to change my move to I14 instead of 15

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've corrected it. I read the shift and thought he was moving straight up. There isn't a way to get close enough to him to attack without provoking an AoO from where I am with Ghesh there.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'll change my move to K15, then.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'll change my move to K15, then.

Dagarth's in K15.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think he's trying to say L14.

Once you push the ogre back one square L14 and L15 are the only 2 spots to hit the ogre there. Just look at the map then read the last few posts.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    TobagganTobaggan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cue moaning about Invisible Castle in three, two, one...

And hey, if you really want that space, I just shifted out of it.

Tobaggan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Tobaggan wrote: »
    And hey, if you really want that space, I just shifted out of it.

The problem is he can't attack from that space after shifting the Ogre with his first tide of Iron. If you've taken L15, he needs to take L14 instead of K15.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Posted the map.

Decided to post Ghesh in L14.

As well as posted the 6th character recruitment. You guys are allowed to post on that thread too (not character submissions though :mrgreen:), such as asking players questions, check their stats, or just want to see the characters themselves.

I also decided that you guys may choose what's your personal favourite from the list. But ultimately, I'll have the final choice.

Link : here

TiamatZ on