As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E PbP] Scales of War Part 1: Rescue at Rivenroar-(OOC thread)

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Passive.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Two for two attacks isn't bad thus far. I was expecting to miss my first swing, which is why I charged in the first place.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I reflavored my 'acid orb' to a 'fire orb', merely because it seems to make more sense what with the source of Reth's powers and all.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Huh, three for three. Prob gonna kill them all before my first turn. :(

And be prepared for the inevitable goblin stealth attack.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just as long as it doesn't change the power mechanically is fine, though in truth most DM's would ask you to edit it back to acid, I'll allow it to pass... for now.

Edit: Wow, you guys are doing great! That means I'm a bad DM!D:.

Oh well...time to summon some solo monsters (hint: big, scaly, prone to hoarding treasure and lastly, enjoys adventurers for lunch!:winky::P)

Edit 2: Posts might become erratic for the next few days. Gonna get some wisdom teeth removed. Note that stiches WILL be involved. Will hopefully be back on track by thursday.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ouch, I feel for you mate. I'm resistant to painkillers so I need extra needles when I go.

Why can't they just gas you like they used to!

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Okay guys I'm back.

Gotta get me the name of that dentist, he's quite professional.

Already it's been 2 days and the swelling's been greatly reduced. It hurt as hell yesterday.

Edit 2: Post is up, excuse my noobness, but this would be my 1st time putiing a new group of monsters in, no forgive me if I made any mistakes (I would usually just place all of them in, instead of working on each monster's initiative seperately).

Short of it: Dagath has cover, mornlok gets an Attack of Opportunity on a hobgoblin and this is the last wave of monsters for this fight.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Now it gets interesting...

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hmph.

I'm going to intercept the 3 mobs at N13-K13 to prevent them from getting clear movement to Squishy-blob and Cheeseliker. Hopefully that won't come back to haunt me with Kelor getting knocked on his ass.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    If you want to reroll the immediate interrupt Blurbl, just say so in the OOC thread and I'll let you reroll [as well as re-edit this post], but it won't change the direction where the flask lands...)

No, it's fine, you can roll all my OA's. Speed up the game and all that.

Edit: Will the fire from the firebomb also spread? And, I assume we can use Imtimidate and athletics etc on the Patrons to get them out if needed? :winky:

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'll only do opportunity attacks (and all other attacks,powers etc.) IF they rely on an immediate interrupt, and only IF they affect the triggered enemy's attack (e.g. that goblin hurling a flask while standing next to Ghesh, and was challenged).

This way it makes the gameplay faster and more stream lined.

Edit: On another note: goblins make for a crazy, mad and zany race in my opinion.

Edit2: Yes. given time, the fire from the bomb will spread. As for using skills to get the patrons out? By all means use them, though you'll be hard pressed to get those 2 from the table away (S12 +13), since their more concerned with the gold they gained during the game.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If one of you magic types wants to take a crack at this swarm of minions at the door I'll hold off a bit and kill one and then charge over to the meatier ones since I don't have anything that hits stuff more than one at a time.

Can I just take that AoO for now while waiting for the others Tia?

Rolled a 12+7 for 19. Was he adjacent to any of them when ran past? It'll hit or miss depending on that.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We're going to need to think about getting the Patrons (And ourselves) out of the burning building in the next few turns. I take that getting out of the inn without burning to death will be an objective along with killing the Goblins.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I could use my Orbmaster's Incendiary Detonation which would be Guaranteed to kill all those minions around the door. The only problem with this is that it's a fire attack and I'm a little worried about setting more of the bar on fire. Alternatively I can move to G7 and do a thunderwave from F4 to D6 which would put me in a fair bit of danger if I miss and don't hit anyone.

What do you think? should I risk setting more of the bar on fire but guarantee killing all 5 minions and damaging the goblin? Or should I risk my neck a bit and try a thunderwave and hope I hit a few of them. It should be noted that while the initial burst of Orbmaster's Incendiary Detonation damages everyone in it's area the zone of fire it creates only damages enemies. I'm not sure if that would mean the bar isn't set on fire.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I would go for it. So far the minions have been the ones throwing fire all over the place. Even if we set fire to the door area at least they're not lighting up other areas of the place.

And it'll give second thoughts if there are any more coming.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Don't worry about setting things more on fire. Since your fire is considered magical, it won't set things on fire. Those flasks are alchemical items with a stong potency of fire, oils and other stuff (think molotov cocktails).

As for your hit, Kelor. Regardless if he has 17 or 19 AC, you still hit him (since you rolled a 19), so I'll just post it once everyone has their turn. You might also update that in your next post Kelor (consider it a free basic melee attack).

In short:
    - Magic fire good
    - Kelor kills hobbo grunt in E7.
    - Will update map once everyone has taken their turn.

Also, squishy, does the COD end at the start, or at the end, of your turn?

Finally, it's the goblins chucking the flasks, not the minions (remember, red border are minions, while green are normal monsters).

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    With the attack rolls I just got I could have used thunderwave and saved myself an encounter power. I just hit 5/5 of them killing 4 minions and doing 7 damage to the goblin. I've now landed 6/6 attacks this encounter.
    Kelor wrote: »
    I would go for it. So far the minions have been the ones throwing fire all over the place. Even if we set fire to the door area at least they're not lighting up other areas of the place.

And it'll give second thoughts if there are any more coming.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Booyah!

You and me Squish, we'll go far.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kelor, I don't think shuting one of the doors out of a burning building was the best idea. :lol:

The Athletics DC for dragging a drunken randomer out of the inn shouldn't be too high, should it? And am I reading way too much into the whole thing, or will be have to start taking anti-smoke Endurence tests soon?

... I should stop giving the DM ideas.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Blurbl wrote: »
    Kelor, I don't think shuting one of the doors out of a burning building was the best idea. :lol:

The Athletics DC for dragging a drunken randomer out of the inn shouldn't be too high, should it? And am I reading way too much into the whole thing, or will be have to start taking anti-smoke Endurence tests soon?

I realised about two minutes ago you can't shut the door after it's been blasted off it's hinges either. Besides, exits aren't a problem. We can just pick up a goblin, throw him through the window first and leave that way.

Once we've cleaned up the last couple of goblins they can all leave through the door. The DM in one of the Penny Arcade podcasts mentioned that a round in combat is the equivalent of about 6 seconds, so realistically the fire hasn't been going all that long anyways.

Edit 2: It looks as though the bar patrons are heading for a door at the back of the building, so they should be ok. Assuming we don't get more goblin pyromaniac's running into the place once they leave from that way.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    just posted on the IC thread but your last move doesn't work kelor. The minion at E7 was outside the burst 1 of my attack and is still alive.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You're right, I missed you hadn't taken him out and was thinking all the minions were down.

Fixed for reading comprehension and provided he doesn't shift away I'll get an attack of opportunity on the minion standing there.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Actually, the minion in E7 is the one you got an AoO (Attack of Opportunity) on, so you can hit him as a free basic melee attack (but only before doing your other actions). I'll allow you to re-edit that post if you want.

Also: One crushed goblin = ouch!
    Kelor wrote: »
    Can I just take that AoO for now while waiting for the others Tia?

Rolled a 12+7 for 19. Was he adjacent to any of them when ran past? It'll hit or miss depending on that.

Edit: Kelor can use his original roll on the minion's AC

Hmmmm.... *scribbles down some notes*

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ok, so I had him mentally written off for a reason.

So at this stage we've fully cleared south door of goblins, we just have two over near Blurbl correct?

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That's correct. A Blackblade on 15 health, and one minion at K13 I think.

Also Squishy-Blob, you know you can delete posts by going Edit -> Delete right?

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That's correct. A Blackblade on 15 health, and one minion at K13 I think.

Also Squishy-Blob, you know you can delete posts by going Edit -> Delete right?

I do now.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That was fun. Poison should take care of the last blackblade, leaving only the minion.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Just remember to tick of your daily Cheese.

On a related note, did you score a natural 20 on your attack roll, or on your intimidate roll? Cause if you did it on your attack roll, you deal full damage to your power (3d10 = 30 damage in this case) + another 1d6 damage from your staff.

I'm just confused, as your rolls say intimidate on Orokos.

Edit: I feel bad for Dagarth. All the others get some neat kills, and all he's done is flip over a table.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'll save him a minion. :P

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh, sorry, didn't change the description. Did not crit either the intimidate nor the attack. Intimidate is +8 and I got a 24, attack is +4 and I got a 20.

EDIT: Ok, after looking back at my past rolls on orokos, apparently I critted the attack roll without realizing it so goblin is dead as a doornail. There's the attack roll. http://4e.orokos.com/roll/10753. Will edit my post for clarification.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Just remember to tick of your daily Cheese.

Edit: I feel bad for Dagarth. All the others get some neat kills, and all he's done is flip over a table.

So true. Poor guy, there's only 1 minion left.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    TobagganTobaggan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sorry for the brief delay, schoolwork's been catching up with me.
    So true. Poor guy, there's only 1 minion left.

You guys have so much more to prove, though. One look at Dagarth, and people say, "Now there's a guy whose probably smashed some Goblin skulls and slept with many beautiful women." :D

Tobaggan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Okay so now the goblins are dead, but your not out of the 'fire' yet. We'll move to round 3, and you'll need to get out of the burning building. The only problem is to get the two remaining patrons out.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It sucks so much that I can't see the map while at College. Ugh.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It sucks so much that I can't see the map while at College. Ugh.

I've [URL="[url]http://www.sendspace.com/file/lgskat[/url]"]uploaded[/URL] it for you if that helps.

My guy isn't much of a diplomat, so I'm just going to club one unconscious and drag him out of the place.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well if diplomacy doesn't work, feel free. If you carry one out, the other will likely grab the gold and also run, so, whatever works.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Failing a grab check on a half drunk human. How heroic. :x

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Waiting on Tobaggan. If he doesn't post his move by Sunday, then can someone post his move for him?

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sorry for double posting, but Reth is in R12, so Dagarth can't be in the same square...

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    TobagganTobaggan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ghesh shifted to Q13 at the end of his turn, thanks to Dagarth's Wolf Pack Tactics. Otherwise I can take the same actions from R11.

Tobaggan on