As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Would you like to be a moderator?

• Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would be a fantastic D&D moderator. Since there are almost no conservatives, I actively dislike everyone there, I always think I'm right, I never back down, and I don't post there. Therefore, I would be D&D's version of Cardboard Tube.

P.S. This thread is a bad idea, people who actively want to be mods make shitty ones.

How could you!? CT wanted to be an Admin didn't he?

Johannen on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll moderate the chat threads only.

This would free up all the other mods to read through all the boring topical threads.

I am pretty only gonna be online monday through thursday, from 8-6, and every other friday 8-5.

I think I am pretty much the best choice for a global chat mod.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2009
    Too bad there's no such thing as a global chat mod and there is never going to be.

Tube on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    I think an easier solution would be to just get rid of all the chat threads.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Too bad there's no such thing as a global chat mod and there is never going to be.

so that was a dream then? balls.

My offer stands.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I could be a mod over in G&T. I am familiar with the rules and have been around for quite awhile and know the forums pretty well (though I only post in G&T and SE++). I also have a knowledge of games and technology and am willing to learn. I browse the forums quite a bit at home and at work so I'm available pretty much whenever.

I exist only to serve your whims, CT.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What forums you would want to moderate
    G&T, SE++, Graphic Violence

Why you feel you would be suitable for the job
    I would rule the forums with an iron fist and make those who question my authority regret the day they were conceived. Also I know a lot about video games and comic books.

What hours you are typically on the forums.
    8 PM - 4 AM if I'm working. Otherwise pretty much all day.

How enthusiastic you are about serving my every whim
    I live to serve.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

graphic violence, because I only know enough about comics to troll people.

i enjoy revenge as a hobby, and people on the internet don't think i'm funny. that alone should keep me working and entertained for hours.

What hours you are typically on the forums

probably 2-3 hours a week. -edit- more in the winter when my avatar is in season. i lost the non santahat version, and i'm much too lazy to make a new one.

whims are pretty cool.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

SE++

I already blend in with the background as few actually pay attention to my posts. I'd be like the Viet Cong of mods. Camouflaged in the middle of the action only to pop out at the last possible moment to shove a grenade in someone's junk. Or infract them. As the case may be. I've also been a mod before on other forums and currently over on Augmentos. That sounds an awful lot like a "As an _____ president I...", so I guess I'll just say that as a mod I would never try to merge an entire forum or ban everyone in it or generally fuck things up.

SE++ is set as one of my homepage tabs so I can't boot up the internet without being on the forums and since I'm on the internet all the damn time, well this pretty much writes itself. At the bare minimum 3-6 hours out of the day are spent on the forums.

Fucking your mother. Wait, no. That's the answer to "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?". So, yes. All of those whims. To hell and back, semper fi, heil tube's glorious Reich and such. The line is drawn at naughty business unless there is some form of reciprocation. Bitches gotta pay.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

G&T.

I'm online on a constant basis, have a pretty good idea as to what makes good G&T threads, what could be locked, and what should probably be rolled into other threads. I also tend to notice posts where there's usually someone saying, "We need a mod to lock this thread yet there's none on ATM". Usually followed with a "Please use the new thread". You know. Stuff like that. I read pretty much every thread, regardless i fit contains any of my interest.

Seems like G&T moderation requires less ruling by opinion such as I perceive D&D (is this thread bullshit, too far off topic, are these people being outrageous dick bags, etc), where as G&T tends to boil down to stuff about video games and on topicness. Except for the chat thread. Er, I mean the TF2 thread.

Really late and really early. Usually 8AM Central time to Midnight Central time. I do have a life. Promise. It's just that most of it is in front of a computer. And when I'm not, it's looking through the delicate lens of a Blackberry.

Extraordinarily. Largely because inside sources tell me that I'm number 8 on your list and I'd like to prove that I'm not 100% worthless and willing to give back to society.

Sheep on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tell us why! This isn't a recruitment thread, it's looking at the pool of interested parties. Please tell us the following

Anyone can apply, but if you have a large number of infractions you may want to save yourself some time. "Large number" in this context means anything over 2 pages of infractions. If you feel you've reformed though go right ahead. This is a ONE TIME exception to my rule that if you express interest in being a moderator you are forever banned from being one. If you bother me about it outside of this thread you are still on the blacklist.
    Why not, if it's a sort of brainstorming thread.

What forums: Debate & Discourse
    Why you feel: I have an overwhelming urge to keep debates civil above all else. Though they don't always yield fruit in the sense that someone is convinced every time, it is quite painless to keep discussions friendly in most circumstances. Sometimes D&D is lacking in that aspect, and I can help with that.
    What hours: Usually off-and-on from about 11AM EST to 11PM EST.
    How enthusiastic: Sometimes I think you're kind of a jerk, Tube, but even at those times you're a funny jerk, and on the important stuff I think you're fair. So if it's in regard to gimmicky stuff, I'm not that enthusiastic. But if it's regarding the rules that keep the forums rolling smoothly and in high quality, I trust your judgment.

edit 2: I kind of feel like I've walked into something.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I really just find myself in H/A, so I suppose that's where I'd be most comfortable having some amount of responsibility/authority. I don't have a high tolerance for angry debate between parties who'd never agree anyway thus rendering debate futile. As for silliness I can put up with it but don't actively seek it out.

I take great measures to be as calm and logical as possible. It's a standing joke amongst my college friends that I once "failed" a test involving emotionality in one of our psychology courses. I've been a teaching assistant at a decently sized state university and given lectures or led sessions of class with upwards of a hundred people or so. I'm not sure to what extent confidentiality is important to moderating but I do have low level security clearance thanks to working at a place that processes student loan information. As far as help and advice go I do have a Master's degree in psychology. I focused more on research than counseling but through the years of schooling I've picked up a few things.

I'm generally off and on between the hours of 4pm to 10pm. I tend to browse and contribute when I genuinely have something to contribute. I'm on Eastern Standard Time if that matters at all.

Well, my wife probably would still have to take priority, given that I have to share/make a home with her and not you but respect for a command structure is something I'm down with.

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What forums you would want to moderate: the artist's corner
    Why you feel you would be suitable for the job: i am a working artist and have been critting and contributing to that community for quite some time now
    What hours you are typically on the forums: between 5pm and 12 am AST (4-11 EST) 7 days a week with some exceptions. i browse throughout the day pretty frequently
    How enthusiastic you are about serving my every whim: will you talk to me in an irish voice?

beavotron on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What forums you would want to moderate:
    G&T since that's where I lurk most often.

Why you feel you would be suitable for the job:
    My general disdain for people is what gets me out of bed every morning and since I work tech support, I can only be so condescending to people I work with/for and I want to be as condescending to as many people as possible as often as possible. I have a low tolerance for rule-breaking, a habit of not backing down when I know I'm in the right and the previously mentioned dislike for the general populartion.

What hours you are typically on the forums.
    11:30am - 8:00pm EST Monday through Friday while I'm at work. If I'm elsewhere, it's pretty spotty.

I served as a professional whim-server for two years and I've been itching for a chance to get back to it ever since I got laid off.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yes, I am following up on my application.

Since I was laid off from my last job, I will need your business address and telephone number so I can report this to my state's unemployment insurance department as a submitted application with one recent follow-up and collect this week's cheque. Thanks!

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's not a submitted application. There was no job to apply for. It was a survey of interest.

Tube on
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Regrettable! Please let me know if and when you begin accepting applications.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Lady Eri wrote: »
    Regrettable! Please let me know if and when you begin accepting applications.

They never accept applications.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That was a joke, right?

Adus on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was thinking the same thing

Fuga on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think it was established earlier that this thread was to identify targets for the culling of potential competing leaders to occur upon establishment of The Reich.

MKR on
  • Options
    BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What forums you would want to moderate?
    Massively Multiplayer Online Extravaganza and Games and Technology. Willing to do any forums the team needs help with.

Why you feel you would be suitable for the job?
    I have been a moderator at many sites that don't exist anymore; mainly old Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star Online Dreamcast websites. I have also been administrator at least three guild websites including one I lead with over two hundred members. Though, I haven't done much moderating in the last five years besides the couple guild websites for MMOs. I have over four-hundred days played in MMOs ranging from modern day to deep deep into the past. Been playing video games for over twenty-two years. I created a list of every game, I could remember, that I have played, it was twelve pages long; very interesting to look at.

What hours you are typically on the forums?
    All day. Mainly, when I am not working, going to class, doing homework, sleeping, and playing video games. Most active in the afternoon and night. Currently, I go to class Tuesday and Thursday between 10:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. I study between 5:30 p.m. till I go to sleep on Tuesday and Thursday and all day Wednesday. I currently don't work. When playing video games, I use windows mode so I can surf the internet as I play; I am a great muti-tasker

How enthusiastic you are about serving my every whim?
    Sounds fun, I can role play an evil minion if you want. :winky:

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Buraisu wrote: »
    I have been a moderator at many sites that don't exist anymore

So what you're saying is that you run websites right into the ground.

Tube on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    In America, being the Captain of many sinking ships gets you promoted to Fleet Admiral

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited March 2010

They died from old age. Websites, like computers, age fast. D: Right?

I am sure, I only ran at most one of them into the ground. :winky:

Of course, I blame the webmasters. Those silly geese! :P
    Ringo wrote: »
    In America, being the Captain of many sinking ships gets you promoted to Fleet Admiral
    Hey, I wasn't captain. :D My Admin positions were fine but since they were guild forums, they died with the guilds and/or game. I am talking about sites from over five years ago. How many forums that you guys have visited in the past five to ten years ago still exist? I went back and only one exists to this date and it's the rival to the old Final Fantasy site I moderated....! Maybe I am just good at joining sinking ships.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    That was a joke, right?

Most of what I say is a joke. In this case, I was also saying though that applications doesn't seem to be how they do things around here. A policy and procedure point, not a snide remark.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've never moderated before and after some thought I'm not entirely sure I'm ready for it. I don't really understand how the moderation on a forum like this even works. As I imagine it, you log on for ten minutes at a time, and during that time you're absolutely fucking besieged by a torrent of private messages and user reports, preventing you from enjoying the forums in any meaningful way.

e: A periodic (minor) abuse of power does sound like a lot of fun though, I have to admit.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey, I wasn't captain. :D My Admin positions were fine but since they were guild forums, they died with the guilds and/or game. I am talking about sites from over five years ago. How many forums that you guys have visited in the past five to ten years ago still exist?
    100%.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    All of them. Even the one for a guild I was in that's been dead since 2005 still has activity that isn't spambots.

MKR on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    That was a joke, right?

Most of what I say is a joke. In this case, I was also saying though that applications doesn't seem to be how they do things around here. A policy and procedure point, not a snide remark.

I was more referring to the person thinking this was a real job application. I guess I should have quoted.

Adus on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Buraisu: Internet Pile Driver.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    e: A periodic (minor) abuse of power does sound like a lot of fun though, I have to admit.

Got to keep that abuse quota filled.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Buraisu: Internet Pile Driver.
    What goes up, must come down. :mrgreen:

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I thought Dr. Dizaster got a name change and was now Pheezer. true story.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I thought Dr. Dizaster got a name change and was now Pheezer. true story.

There was a time where Pheezer had his name changed to Dr. Dizaster. Donned the sig and avatar too. It was like a bad flashback.

Henroid on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I am not crazy that did actually happen

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    swordfights I don't know who dr. d is and I've been here longer than you, what the what

L|ama on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What the fuck, I just noticed that. Dr. D was gone by like 2004.

Henroid on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've never moderated before and after some thought I'm not entirely sure I'm ready for it. I don't really understand how the moderation on a forum like this even works. As I imagine it, you log on for ten minutes at a time, and during that time you're absolutely fucking besieged by a torrent of private messages and user reports, preventing you from enjoying the forums in any meaningful way.

Depends on the forum.

These ones? Pretty certain that's how it is for Tube at least... not sure about the other mods.

It's just as bad being an admin on a game server. After a while you just end up spectating so you can have time to type all the warnings and crap without having to worry about defusing the bomb. I ended up resigning because I thought I was growing to hate the game... but it turned out to be too late because now I saw all these assholes running rampant and now I couldn't do anything about it anymore.

Sucked hardcore. But it's an important job and someone has to do it.

Falx on
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    for posterity?

What forums you would want to moderate:
    SE++

Why you feel you would be suitable for the job:
    Many people would argue I'm not suitable because I'm new. I would too, if I was them. But because I'm biased towards myself, I'm gonna say I'm suitable because of these reasons: could be on at any time besides weekends (work), I looooooove Journey, I'm not a silly goose (in my eyes), not biased towards people because I'm new, think the super mods currently modding are modtastic, am typing in actual sentences and using punctuation for this!, and already have no soul.

What hours you are typically on the forums:
    M-F: 9-2am (GMT)
    Weekends: It depends on work, but always at least 10pm-2am (GMT)

How enthusiastic you are about serving my every whim:
    Well right now I'd pretty much have to do anything I was told, right? I wouldn't like it, but I'd do it for the good of our country. Martyr and stuff. As a mod I guess much wouldn't change, I'd just pretend to be king and I'm granting favors or something.

VoproSTEIN on