As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] New Calculator w/ Regional Prices (Page 98)

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So far I've only gotten L4D, but I fully anticipate jumping on something tomorrow. I wish I would have been home for the Batman: AA and Dead Space sales, but I was visiting the family for the holidays.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Shelled out a hardcore $12.00 so far for Osmos, Grid, and KotOR.

KotOR - already deleted due to technical issues. Waste of $2.50.

Osmos - Fun, nearly beaten it, just have a couple levels left on the gravity-ish (left hand) side. One of the few puzzle-y games I've actually enjoyed. Very worth the $2.00.

Grid - Pretty decent. Fun but sometimes hard to judge how collisions are going to react. I often have to restart races a bunch of times until I finally get past the lead guy before cruising to victory. This is probably an issue only if you're like me and can't tolerate not coming in first. Not bad for $7.50.

Hoping for AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA to be on sale for like $5.00. Played the demo and it was fun but seems a bit limited to be $15.00.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't mean to be pedantic but did you notice the Instant Replay feature in GRID? You can rewind time far enough to avoid a single crash up to three or four times, depending on your difficulty level. It really saves on restarts for stupid shit.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    But then I lose my fight money at the end. (I think.) I'll definitely look into it if I do something dumb on this endurance event I just entered myself into. F restarting that.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GRID's Replay Flashbacks don't hurt against your money's(99% sure). Sometimes I never use it, sometimes I use it up. Pretty sure I'm still getting the same cash flow from winning the event and still getting what my sponsors pay out.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    RE5 looks absolutely amazing.

Too bad the controls are, as per series standards, shit-tastic.

reVerse on
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Using GriD's flashbacks won't hurt your winnings - what does effect the winnings is the difficulty level, which also determines the total number of flashbacks you can use per race. So while the bigger the pool of flashbacks you can use will lower your purse, you can use none or u to all of the pool and get the same winnings.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    FightTest wrote: »

Uh-oh. I bought that myself. Your issues weren't Windows 7 related, were they?

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think it's an ATI issue. Just reading random Steam sale threads on GAF and whatnot it seems there are some video options that trigger it which you can disable. I just didn't have enough interest in the game to tinker with it.

As for the Grid money thing, isn't the final bonus at the end of an event called Replay Bonus or something like that? I could have sworn I read/tutorialed that that bonus drops as you use rewinds. Could be wrong, that's just what I was thinking for whatever reason.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gah, already regretting picking up Dead Space. It's not that it's a bad game (though the mouse control is kinda annoying, even with v-sync off), but more that I'm a Giant Wuss. I just got the first weapon and I'm already freaking out

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    Gah, already regretting picking up Dead Space. It's not that it's a bad game (though the mouse control is kinda annoying, even with v-sync off), but more that I'm a Giant Wuss. I just got the first weapon and I'm already freaking out

I remember renting it for the 360, getting just past the point where you are at, and then returning it. I think I had the game in my possession for about 35minutes. Fortunately they know me pretty well down at the Blockbuster so I was able to explain what a big pussy I had, and they let me pick up something more family friendly. Like, I dunno. Some Wii game.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

I have the retail version, but I picked up the Steam version too, because I wanted it on Steam. I know the story and I know the tricks they pull, but the game still makes me jump like a wuss at times.

Cranked up to max, the visuals are gorgeous and the audio design is the best I've heard in years and years.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    remlap13 wrote: »

I remember renting it for the 360, getting just past the point where you are at, and then returning it. I think I had the game in my possession for about 35minutes. Fortunately they know me pretty well down at the Blockbuster so I was able to explain what a big pussy I had, and they let me pick up something more family friendly. Like, I dunno. Some Wii game.

Don't be so hard on yourself. It'd be a bloody strange world if every game from every genre appealed to everyone. :lol:

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    FightTest wrote: »

Uh-oh. I bought that myself. Your issues weren't Windows 7 related, were they?

Don't worry about that, The game runs fine, it's just that it's originally not made for widescreen resolutions, and a quick fix will solve that. I have the game running fine at 1440x900, steam version.

I think maybe he's mixing it up with Republic Commando. And in that case, all you need to do is turn off Specular Mapping and BOOM it works 100%.

Man that guy is such a lazy wuss. Good games are worth 5 minutes of troubleshooting.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Roshin wrote: »

I have the retail version, but I picked up the Steam version too, because I wanted it on Steam. I know the story and I know the tricks they pull, but the game still makes me jump like a wuss at times.

Cranked up to max, the visuals are gorgeous and the audio design is the best I've heard in years and years.

The whispers...

What do they say!?

Sepah on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    resident evil 5 on the PC any good? I remember the disaster that was RE4 on the PC and I'm somewhat leery

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    resident evil 5 on the PC any good? I remember the disaster that was RE4 on the PC and I'm somewhat leery

haven't played it, but it was mentioned a few pages ago/in another thread/whatever, that it's a much better port than RE4 supposedly.

Morkath on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It runs smoothly and nicely. The hour or so I played it I didn't notice any technical shenanigans.

reVerse on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Im kinda hoping Fallout 3 will turn up on the sale. I lost my discs and have the urge to play again.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Come on, 11:00. I want to know what's going to take my money today!

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wren wrote: »

It is an incredible port, I can't say it more. The controls are still weird, but you get used to them pretty easily, and the graphics are incredible, they look freaking fantastic on my 3 year old PC.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There will be at least one indy game, at least one Valve game, at least one mmorpg, and the rest is a tossup. Personally, I'm hoping for Stalker: Clear Sky, Risen, or Drakensang.

stigweard on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh man, TRINE! $10...

No... Noooooooo!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That THQ pack has been taunting me all weekend. I've wanted to try Saints Row 2, Titan quest looks halfway decent for a diablo clone, and I love the original red faction.

But man, I already own all the WH40K games in that pack, and Stalker.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I just broke down today and got it, I was going to wait and see what other deals came up, but I realized I was going to get it regardless. I already own Saints Row 2, and Dawn of War gold and Dark Heresy, but it's still a fantastic deal.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you're not sure, don't get it.

Hoz on
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So L4D, people still play that? I didn't think the demo was all that fun, but... so cheap... Steam sales really disable what little logic exists in my brain.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Firebrand wrote: »
    So L4D, people still play that?
    It's got around 6.4k players online right now (L4D2 25k).

Around these parts we play L4D2 as it's the better game. But for 7.50 USD go ahead, give it a shot, convince some friends, see the error of your ways and then get L4D2.

Alegis on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And if Vavle ever bothers working on porting L4D over, like some modders already have, you'll have more fun (TM).

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Corbius wrote: »
    That THQ pack has been taunting me all weekend. I've wanted to try Saints Row 2, Titan quest looks halfway decent for a diablo clone, and I love the original red faction.

Look - suck it up! If you have Steam, and an interest in PC games, you're doubtless gonna own *some* of the pack. Don't forget Company of Heroes and RFG either - both at the top of what they do. Saint's row 2, if it works for you, is almost worth the asking price alone for all the retarded fun.

It just comes down to if you think you can individually get the games you want cheaper - and that's honestly pretty unlikely anytime soon.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Corbius wrote: »

Look - suck it up! If you have Steam, and an interest in PC games, you're doubtless gonna own *some* of the pack. Don't forget Company of Heroes and RFG either - both at the top of what they do. Saint's row 2, if it works for you, is almost worth the asking price alone for all the retarded fun.

It just comes down to if you think you can individually get the games you want cheaper - and that's honestly pretty unlikely anytime soon.

Just a shame you can't gift the games you already own - I only remember the orange box letting you do that. Honestly, I'd pick up the THQ pack in a second if I could give the games I already have to mates. Le sigh

Perdurabo on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone have an opinion of Order of War? I got it mixed up with Men of War when I first saw the sale yesterday, but now I realize it's the Square Enix RTS. I guess what I am mainly interested in is if it has a good single player campaign.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's important to note that RE4 PC was a hackjob done by Ubisoft on a PS2 game.

RE5 was develop more or less in non specific platform and then adapted by Capcom to each system. It's kinda like it's a native game in all consoles and PC. It works extremelly well on PC, both the engine and the controls (well, the controls are still RE, but they work as they were supposed to, unlike RE4).

The same is true for Street Fighter IV and Devil May Cry 4. All of them have excellent PC versions that look and run BETTER than the console counterparts.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Saint's row 2, if it works for you, is almost worth the asking price alone for all the retarded fun.
    sr2pc2009102122252244.th.jpg
    sr2pc2009102122115270.th.jpg
    sr2pc2009102122003072.th.jpg
    sr2pc2009102122311238.th.jpg
    sr2pc2009102122423332.th.jpg
    sr2pc2009102122025872.th.jpg

^Some random pics I was just sorting through from a coop Saints Row 2 game with Curly Haired Boy. All of that madness pictured above emerged within only about an hour of play time. That kind of lunacy is what the game is like all the time. Retarded fun, indeed.

We also have a PA Game On thread still going strong if anyone would like join us for some coop Saints Row 2 shenanigans:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=100919
    Be warned, it is a terrible port and a system killer too, so check the OP of the Game On thread before taking the plunge.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yes, that's me on the plane. in the ninja suit.

facing my destiny.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I pulled the trigger last night and bought L4D and Republic Commando. $17 (and change) for two games? Sure, why not.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    yes, that's me on the plane. in the ninja suit.

facing my destiny.

more like freezing your destiny :lol:

It's amazing how much fun we manage to extract from such a messy port

well, Idolninja's excellent super mod helps a lot too.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The same is true for Street Fighter IV and Devil May Cry 4. All of them have excellent PC versions that look and run BETTER than the console counterparts.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    Anyone have an opinion of Order of War? I got it mixed up with Men of War when I first saw the sale yesterday, but now I realize it's the Square Enix RTS. I guess what I am mainly interested in is if it has a good single player campaign.

It's bad. Really really bad. Company of Heroes and Men of War are better than it in every way possible, plus a few ways that aren't possible.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Someone please post the new list, the suspense is killing me.

RoyceSraphim on
This discussion has been closed.