As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oblivion Expansion coming in spring 2007!

1234568»

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hope the next game has an option to dualwield. That would be rad for the assassin-type-guys.

Aldo on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zilla84 wrote: »
    Yeah, I felt Oblivion was some steps back with not quite enough steps forward to compensate, but it was still a fun game. And none of the steps back were because you couldn't break the game enough. That's just dumb.

My opinion on Oblivion actually seems to change a bit every time I go back and think about it. It's a strange game in that sense. Still, looking forward to the expansion.
    My biggest gripes with the game wasn't related to the ability to "break" the game, if that's what you meant. I still play Oblivion occasionally since I have the need for RPG's where you focus on one character only. The expansion disc looks pretty fun though so I'll probably dive back into Oblivion full-time for a while at least.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    it's kinda funny, I *enjoy* Oblivion more than Morrowind, but Morrowind just *felt* like a better game. I can't place why. I mean, I'd play Oblivion over morrowind, but at the same time feel like I'm missing something if I do.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    I hope the next game has an option to dualwield. That would be rad for the assassin-type-guys.

Dual weilding would be cool for my assassin PC, although they'd have to do some serious nerfing or apply some penalties so you're not walking around with Double Fisted Mehrune's Razors...

and for fuck's sake Bethesda, I want my shurikens back!!!!

Edit:
    One reason why Oblivion doesn't feel as *good* as Morrowind: Bethesda took just enough out of Oblivion to make it more commercially accessible, but what they took out was also just enough that us hardcore pen & paper geeks would develop a very small twitch while playing and keep saying aloud, "hey, something is fucking missing here."

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    WyndhamPriceWyndhamPrice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    EDIT: On second though my comment was in reference to something that really doesn't need to turn into a flame war about. Go go impulse posting!

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Shurikens were fucking pointless, though.

Well, past Silver, at least.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    WHY wrote: »

I still want my fucking crossbows though...

Silpheed on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I bought the Knights of the Nine today, how do I get started on the quest?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »

Has it been mentioned in this thread that Bethesda announced a week or two ago that this (Shivering Isles) would be the first and last Oblivion expanison?

That kinda makes me sad. It looks like a good expansion, but I was really hoping for an expansion with spears, crossbows, throwing knives, dual wielding and oh... levitating werewolves.

Mods are great and all, but they just aren't canonical enough for the discerning Elder Scrolls nerd.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Suds wrote: »
    I bought the Knights of the Nine today, how do I get started on the quest?
    Talk to the raving phrophet in Anvil. He'll give you a map and some directions, basically.

Oh, and I found an infuriating bug/glitch/something in the Fighter's Guild quests.
    When you start getting into trying to take down the Blackwood Company, you need to talk to Oryen (or whatever). He tells you to go get one of the Blackwood higher-ups and bring him back to him.

Well, this in and of itself is no real problem, with fast travel and all.

Except Oreyn is in the wrong place in my game (360 version).

See, he's apparently supposed to be at his house for this part, and you have to interrogate the lizard man from there.

However, in my game, he's at the Ayleid ruins of Atatar, where you have a previous mission with Oreyn...one of your duties. Apparently, he's supposed to leave and go back to his house, but no, he stands outside the ruins in perpetuity for me.

Soooo, I bring the lizard to him, and he tells me to have the guy "sit down". I tell him to sit. And he starts walking away. I figure he's gonna sit on a piece of the ruin. But he keeps walking. And keeps walking. And keeps...fucking...walking. I went to check a FAQ, and like I said, this guy is supposed to be at Oreyn's house to talk to, But he isn't, so I guess his AI is telling him to go to his house, from the ruins. So he walks slowly to Chorrol and Oreyn's house.

Atatar is near Leyawin. I had to watch this fucker walk 3 quarters of the way across the Oblivion overworld and make sure he didn't die, because fast travel wouldn't work - he wasn't following me, he was working on preset instructions to sit in Oreyn's house. It took over an hour to get to Chorrol, and what does he do after we get there? He answers 2 questions and he fucking kills himself.

Needless to say, I was quite upset at all this.

Graviija on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

You hush *shakes fist*. I had fun with 'em in Morrowind... from a purely RPGing ninja-wannabe standpoint for an assassin PC.

Fanboy B.S. aside: my point being that I was upset with them taking out ALL ranged weapons besides bows for Oblivion--I felt like I had a weapon choice taken away from me, regardless of whether or not it was a useless weapon. There are still a lot of *useless* skills you can play with in Oblivion, but for ranged attackes, you must use a bow, or nothing at all. I just want the option of using fucking pointless things if I so please. :)

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Can you do the Knights of the Nine at say... level 10?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    hambone wrote: »

Has it been mentioned in this thread that Bethesda announced a week or two ago that this (Shivering Isles) would be the first and last Oblivion expanison?

That kinda makes me sad. It looks like a good expansion, but I was really hoping for an expansion with spears, crossbows, throwing knives, dual wielding and oh... levitating werewolves.

Mods are great and all, but they just aren't canonical enough for the discerning Elder Scrolls nerd.

They said the same thing about Tribunal.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »

I started it at level 1, with Oscuro's Overhaul (although I don't think the Knights of the Nine specific areas are overhauled). So I don't see why not.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That's the whole point! Part of the charm with the Elder Scrolls is to break the gameworld and generally wreck some havock in a 100 different ways. That's why I felt that Oblivion was one step forward and five backwards in that regard.
    That's truth and I liked to fuck around in Morrowind, doesn't mean I don't enjoy the gameplay in Oblivion.
    I guess that the ultimate marriage would be Morrowinds gameplay mixed with Oblivions graphics and Mount and Blades combat system.

Fixed.

Vic on
  • Options
    AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Vic wrote: »
    That's the whole point! Part of the charm with the Elder Scrolls is to break the gameworld and generally wreck some havock in a 100 different ways. That's why I felt that Oblivion was one step forward and five backwards in that regard.
    That's truth and I liked to fuck around in Morrowind, doesn't mean I don't enjoy the gameplay in Oblivion.
    I guess that the ultimate marriage would be Morrowinds gameplay mixed with Oblivions graphics and Mount and Blades combat system.

Fixed.

Allon on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I remember the awesomeness of stumbling across a tree stump in Bloodmoon.

This was no ordinary tree stump, however... it had like 8 Daedric Shurikens with an enchantment that did something like 8000 damage upon contact.

I was very O_O

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    thorpe wrote: »

This was no ordinary tree stump, however... it had like 8 Daedric Shurikens with an enchantment that did something like 8000 damage upon contact.

I was very O_O
    Okay those I can see being useful.

in a Glass-Sword-from-Ultima sorta way.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    thorpe wrote: »

I was very O_O

I love stuff like that.

Had to kill this one guy. On the way there, I found a rock that had some gold in it. When I talked to the target, told him what was going down, he was like, "ILL GIVES YO TEH HIDDEN MONEY FOR ME LIFE!" I was like, HAHAHAH! I ALREADY HAS YOUR MUNY!

*stab*

Sheep on
  • Options
    MalachMalach Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Quick Oblivion question, I just got it today, along with a 360, and haven't played Morrowind in years. Is there any reason I'd put regular clothes or robes on my Battlemage instead of armor? Since the Battlemage doesn't have any armors in its primary skill set any reason I shouldn't wear heavy instead of light? (Beyond the fact that I'm a Breton and can't carry much and so wear light armor because I haven't gotten a feather spell yet)

Malach on
    Lynch2028.png
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Malach wrote:
    Quick Oblivion question, I just got it today, along with a 360, and haven't played Morrowind in years. Is there any reason I'd put regular clothes or robes on my Battlemage instead of armor? Since the Battlemage doesn't have any armors in its primary skill set any reason I shouldn't wear heavy instead of light? (Beyond the fact that I'm a Breton and can't carry much and so wear light armor because I haven't gotten a feather spell yet)

If I recall, I believe that wearing armour reduces the effectiveness of your spells, up until your armour skill for the type of armour you're wearing reaches a certain point of development. Hence, wearing clothing or robes would allow you to utilize your spells at full effectiveness.

That being said, I personally prefer wearing armour though.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Suds wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »

I started it at level 1, with Oscuro's Overhaul (although I don't think the Knights of the Nine specific areas are overhauled). So I don't see why not.
    Awesome. I might buy it tonight.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's a bit harder with Oscuro's in certain parts. I had to go up against some conjurers, who in Vanilla Oblivion at low levels are pushovers. With OOO at level 3 I had my hands more than full. They summon some really powerful stuff for me to deal with. My only chance was to kill them as quickly as possible before they could summon their horde of dremora.

Aside from that, it's a really awesome quest line so far. The items you get are pretty damn good.

I have a question for anyone who's played through it though.
    Does that fatigue damage curse ever get lifted? It's a huge deterant right now. Before my Athletics reached 25 my Fatigue would drain while I was running around. I'm not sure if this is because of OOO, or because of that curse.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png