As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Steel NOT horrible?

zeroomegazxzeroomegazx Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Well, I finally broke down and picked up Red Steel last night for my Wii. My friend and I were really expecting to end up beating the shit out of me for wasiting $50 on a game that has gotten such bad reviews since its release.

A lil background, I've been a gamer since the NES, played every console, am a current avid PC and Wii/DS gamer. In other words I've been around the block and look for innovation and fun in my games, not just FF XXX or the next best looking game on the market.

With that out of the way, we started up Red Steel and prepared for the worst. After selecting a new profile and watching the intro sequence, i can understand why reviewers gave this game a *not great in the graphics department* score, but then again, the game looks FAR FAR from horrible. Its not meant to look next gen, but as a first Gen Wii game its decent graphically. As the intro progressed some weird feelings came over me. Weird but good, i couldnt put my finger on it. When i was finally able to play, move around, interact with the world, killing things, i was pleasantly surprised how decent the controls were. By the time i had been playing for roughly 20-30 minutes I honestly wanted to beat gamespot's review in the head with a lead pipe. I have already owned COD3 for the Wii, i wanted a GOOD FPS experience on the Wii to look forward to Metroid, and according to everything ive read, COD3 was supposed to be great. It was.... alright.... but compared to what reviewers have said about its controls vs red steel, i honestly think someone put something in the water at these places. I can honestly, unexaggeratingly say, Red Steel's FPS controls are absolutely brilliant for how the Wii controls. I was set to experience the WORST experience on the Wii and found the 2nd best thus far, under Wii Sports. I seriously ask the question, what version of the game have the reviewers been playing. There is no problem with the controls, no moving of the cursor on its own, no glitching of the control scheme.

What i can tell you that they have been somewhat right about is graphical glitching. There are some extremely minute ragdol/physics based bugs that i have *noticed* but absolutely nothing that has distracted me one bit from actually enjoying or playing the game. You have to remember i was really expecting this to be horrible so im a bit more on the look out for the glitches than most people.

For those of you with a Wii, on the edge about getting this because of the negative PR, I offer you this. As someone completely almost convinced this game was crap since its release, go out and rent/buy/demo it. It's worthy of a decent amount of the hype it created soly on the fact of how much fun it is. I'm almost 3 hours into it, and that weird feeling i have i finally identified. This game has a soul of Goldeneye. The graphics, the action, the music, the feel. This game, while not state of the art looking, is like a new game form the Goldeneye/TimeSplitters team. Its very good and very fun, and isnt that whats important? I now await the weekend to try multiplayer!

Control: 9.0
Fun Factor: 9.0
Sound: 8.9
Graphics: 8.5

Too big sig.
zeroomegazx on

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The thing I've noticed about my taste is that I'm a lot more tolerant of mediocrity in FPSs than any other genre. They're my guilty pleasure of the gaming world. It's probably because they're hard to get really wrong.

As such, I'm enjoying Red Steel. It's a fun diversion.

japan on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wife picked up red steel for me on a whim, and after putting about 3 hours into it I feel as if its a fun game, but a bland FPS. Its more of the same "enter room, kill bad guys, leave room" feeling. Checkpoints are everywhere, usually before opening a door which tells you to get ready for a fight of some sort.

The controls to me seem more clunky than anything else. I can aim and move easily, but I have to keep reminding myself to make smaller movements because if I make larger ones, the pointer gets lost and so my character starts spinning in space. Can be a bit disorienting when it happens unexpectedly.

The sword fighting is fun, but at the same time easy. Its more a matter of finding what you need to do to make your opponent off balance to let you get in two or three hits.

Over all I don't think I'd buy this for $50 again, probably would wait till its in the $30 range. It really seems like a very well done budget title that was bumped up to a full priced game.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Veevee wrote:
    Wife picked up red steel for me on a whim, and after putting about 3 hours into it I feel as if its a fun game, but a bland FPS. Its more of the same "enter room, kill bad guys, leave room" feeling. Checkpoints are everywhere, usually before opening a door which tells you to get ready for a fight of some sort.

The controls to me seem more clunky than anything else. I can aim and move easily, but I have to keep reminding myself to make smaller movements because if I make larger ones, the pointer gets lost and so my character starts spinning in space. Can be a bit disorienting when it happens unexpectedly.

The sword fighting is fun, but at the same time easy. Its more a matter of finding what you need to do to make your opponent off balance to let you get in two or three hits.

Over all I don't think I'd buy this for $50 again, probably would wait till its in the $30 range. It really seems like a very well done budget title that was bumped up to a full priced game.

I'll agree with you as its not first person shooter of the year by far, but what makes it for me is the fun factor. it just seems like a *decent* FPS done right where as the controls really seem to immerse you to the point where its just damn fun.

As for your opinion of the controls, id guess its really gonna boil down to how people like controlling FPS with a Wiimote on a personal level. Ive played 2 on the Wii now, supposeldy the best and the worst and they are exact oposites of what they should be. basically if you dont like the controls noone should flame you for it, its all going to be personal preference, but jsut as someone who has been playing for many many years, at least from my perspective I am extremely surpised on how good they are when they have gotten such a bad rap.

zeroomegazx on
    Too big sig.
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Its not horrible but it isnt that great either.

Controls take a bit of time to get use to but overall they do alright.
    Sword fighting plays like it was thrown in as an afterthought, and the reasons to get into one.. yea.. oh look guy with sword.. I better have a duel with him. Whats the old saying.. never bring a sword to a gunfight?

Graphics were alright a bit of polish and it would look great.

Everything else.. toss it out the window. Story.. shit, cut scenes shit, tedious single player oh yes. Frequent lock ups.. yup!

The only other redeeming quality is mulitplayer which is quite fun but I wouldnt dish out cash just for that.

Rushed out the door for the Wii release is what this game feels and looks like. IMO rent it once and then forget about it. There will be far far better FPS games on the Wii in the future.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I liked it. But I haven't played it in damn near 3 weeks thanks to work and Zelda.

The swordfighting is what kills it for me. The special moves are way too tough to pull off, and oftentimes I can win by simply flicking the shit out of the Wiimote. Which is what I do most fights because it isn't fun.

The shooting is promising, but there is a long path of refinement ahead on this system. That said, I really want to get 3 friends and do that one 4-player only mode, which looks sweet.

Overall, I'll hang onto it, but probably trade it for store credit when something similar but better hits. I think shooters on the Wii have a bright future.

[spoiler:8a72d184b7]TIMESPLITTERS. TIMESPLITTERS. TIMESPLITTERS. PLEASE.[/spoiler:8a72d184b7]

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    SilvanosSilvanos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's the controls that did it. I was so pumped for this game, so sure Ubisoft would deliver, and then on launch I played it for about fourty-five minutes and went "fuck this" and played Zelda instead. I'll give it another chance when I beat everything else on my plate, but the poor controls were enough to keep me from coming back. Maybe they get better with practice, my roommate played about two hours and was of the opinion they didn't. I'm not ready to throw it out the door yet, but what I experienced with it wasn't fun.

Silvanos on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This game has a soul of Goldeneye.

I thought the same thing when playing it multiplayer. Basically I think this game sucks but its fun to play... if you get what I'm saying. If I hear them yell "You Bastard!" one more time im going to vomit.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Silvanos wrote:
    It's the controls that did it. I was so pumped for this game, so sure Ubisoft would deliver, and then on launch I played it for about fourty-five minutes and went "fuck this" and played Zelda instead. I'll give it another chance when I beat everything else on my plate, but the poor controls were enough to keep me from coming back. Maybe they get better with practice, my roommate played about two hours and was of the opinion they didn't. I'm not ready to throw it out the door yet, but what I experienced with it wasn't fun.

Yes there is a big learning curve.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006
    darkmayo wrote:
    Whats the old saying.. never bring a sword to a gunfight?
    "Leave it to a wop to bring a knife to a gun fight."

Aroduc on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This game has a soul of Goldeneye.

I thought the same thing when playing it multiplayer. Basically I think this game sucks but its fun to play... if you get what I'm saying. If I hear them yell "You Bastard!" one more time im going to vomit.

This is one game I don't feel bad for muting. The voice acting isn't bad, but the lines they say over and over are just... ugh.

Veevee on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    For some reason reading about the voice acting reminds me of Revolution X.

The Aerosmith game.

Damn I wish I still had that for my Saturn.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Red Steel is the kind of generic crap that wouldn't be tolerated from anything other than a launch game. There's no one aspect of the game that's horrible, but there's nothing particularly good about any of it either.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well, I finally broke down and picked up Red Steel last night for my Wii. My friend and I were really expecting to end up beating the shit out of me for wasiting $50 on a game that has gotten such bad reviews since its release. [...]we started up Red Steel and prepared for the worst.

[...]I can honestly, unexaggeratingly say, Red Steel's FPS controls are absolutely brilliant for how the Wii controls. I was set to experience the WORST experience on the Wii and found the 2nd best thus far, under Wii Sports.
    Low hype makes a mediocre game feel great.
    I have already owned COD3 for the Wii, i wanted a GOOD FPS experience on the Wii to look forward to Metroid, and according to everything ive read, COD3 was supposed to be great. It was.... alright.... but compared to what reviewers have said about its controls vs red steel, i honestly think someone put something in the water at these places.
    High hype makes a mediocre game feel horrible.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    darkmayo wrote:
    Whats the old saying.. never bring a sword to a gunfight?
    "Leave it to a wop to bring a knife to a gun fight."

Did Italians have a tendancy to do that? what movie/book is that quote from.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Red Steel is the kind of generic crap that wouldn't be tolerated from anything other than a launch game. There's no one aspect of the game that's horrible, but there's nothing particularly good about any of it either.

Yeah see that is how I see that game as well. I mean I can't say I hate it because it is kinda fun to play cuz of it's controls...

Well I am sure they will get the next FPS for Wii right!

*looks online and sees Farcry*

The NEXT FPS right...

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Have any of you actually played more than an hour of the game?

It sounds to me like mot of you picked it up, played for a bit, got annoyed by some minor glitches, and switched out the CDs for Zelda and never looked back.

Reviewers (and thus, gamers in general) have been giving this game so much unwarranted criticism. For one, the game's graphics are MUCH better than ANYTHING you'd ever see on a current-gen console. Have you guys even reached some of the game's later levels? You can't tell me any of that was even possible on an Xbox, much less a GameCube or a PS2. It's true that the game's earlier levels (which are mostly indoors) don't really show off the graphical power of the Wii; perhaps you've just been playing those and assuming that the entire game would end up looking like that?

Secondly, yes, the voice acting and story are horrendous, but they're the kind of horrendous that's so bad, it's actually good. There are some truly (unintentionally) hilarious lines to be found throughout the game. One of my favorites involves an obscure reference to The Matrix, though there aren't really a lot of clever references like that. Most of the dialog is just plain ridiculous in its own right. There is one voice actor, though, that does raise the quality up a lot... but he just seems out of place when juxtaposed with everyone else. Anyway, those expecting an Oscar-winning movie in video game form need to realize that Red Steel is an homage to the truly horrendous, and at times hilarious, gun-fu action movies you hear all about but perhaps never got the chance to see. It's not supposed to be brilliantly crafted. Do you honestly think a studio like Ubisoft, the people who brought us Splinter Cell, just ran low on money and had to settle with horrible voice actors when they really meant to hire Jude Law? They know the game's story and voice work is terrible. That's what makes it so endearing.

Lastly, Red Steel's gameplay is a lot more entertaining than reviewers make it out to be. Once you're able to throw grenades and enter focus mode, the action sequences become a lot more interesting. I will agree that the sword play is quite unpolished and easily exploitable (you can beat a lot of fights by just continuously slashing), but they appear so infrequently (once, maybe twice per level), that it's not really a huge issue. The big part of the game lies in the gunplay, and while the controls take some getting used to, once the player has them down, there's plenty of fun to be had.

I urge those who own the game to pick it up again and try to get through some of it's earlier levels. Once the action picks up, so down the fun factor. At least that's the way I saw it.

thegloaming on
  • Options
    SyphilisaurusSyphilisaurus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The zooming controls were terrible, at least. I got used to every other controlling peculiarity besides that.

Focus mode was a good addition, though.

Syphilisaurus on
    adsigcopy4kn.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006

It sounds to me like mot of you picked it up, played for a bit, got annoyed by some minor glitches, and switched out the CDs for Zelda and never looked back.

Reviewers (and thus, gamers in general) have been giving this game so much unwarranted criticism. For one, the game's graphics are MUCH better than ANYTHING you'd ever see on a current-gen console. Have you guys even reached some of the game's later levels? You can't tell me any of that was even possible on an Xbox, much less a GameCube or a PS2. It's true that the game's earlier levels (which are mostly indoors) don't really show off the graphical power of the Wii; perhaps you've just been playing those and assuming that the entire game would end up looking like that?

Secondly, yes, the voice acting and story are horrendous, but they're the kind of horrendous that's so bad, it's actually good. There are some truly (unintentionally) hilarious lines to be found throughout the game. One of my favorites involves an obscure reference to The Matrix, though there aren't really a lot of clever references like that. Most of the dialog is just plain ridiculous in its own right. There is one voice actor, though, that does raise the quality up a lot... but he just seems out of place when juxtaposed with everyone else. Anyway, those expecting an Oscar-winning movie in video game form need to realize that Red Steel is an homage to the truly horrendous, and at times hilarious, gun-fu action movies you hear all about but perhaps never got the chance to see. It's not supposed to be brilliantly crafted. Do you honestly think a studio like Ubisoft, the people who brought us Splinter Cell, just ran low on money and had to settle with horrible voice actors when they really meant to hire Jude Law? They know the game's story and voice work is terrible. That's what makes it so endearing.

Lastly, Red Steel's gameplay is a lot more entertaining than reviewers make it out to be. Once you're able to throw grenades and enter focus mode, the action sequences become a lot more interesting. I will agree that the sword play is quite unpolished and easily exploitable (you can beat a lot of fights by just continuously slashing), but they appear so infrequently (once, maybe twice per level), that it's not really a huge issue. The big part of the game lies in the gunplay, and while the controls take some getting used to, once the player has them down, there's plenty of fun to be had.

I urge those who own the game to pick it up again and try to get through some of it's earlier levels. Once the action picks up, so down the fun factor. At least that's the way I saw it.

I played it for quite a few hours, only stomached it because I was by myself and didnt want to start Zelda until my bro finished it, that and it was a rental.

At no point during the game did I go "wow, I was wrong." the whole experience other than multiplayer was me thinking.. "man this game could have been so much better if they just delayed it a little bit." But I cant say how good the game "could" have been since what you get is really below average.

I dont find it endearing at all rushing a game for a system launch.
    Thats just ubisoft saying.. "meh.. it will do, its a launch title it'll sell no matter what"

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If you have trouble with the controls, try adjusting the sensitivity. I don't own Red Steel, but that made worlds of difference in COD3.

The default sensitivity was way too overly sensitive, and ratcheting it down quite a bit made aiming and turning much, much easier and more accurate.

slash000 on
  • Options
    RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Not really, and why the hell would I? I played it for about two hours at my friend's house, and that was more than enough for me. I mean, the CONTROLS don't change once you get deeper into the game, do they? There's too many good games that I havn't gotten around to playing yet to waste my precious little free time forcing myself to play crap because hey, it MIGHT get better later. Maybe.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I tried playing multiplayer, but it became unplayable. I'm not sure if was our setup or the game, but it became impossible to aim because the reticule would jerk around randomly for seemingly no reason.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    As some of you guys have said, this game felt like a B-movie to me. Yes, its bad, but still enjoyable. I dont know how anyone could take this game seriously after you find out every bellman in the hotel youre at is a trained assassin that yells such memorable phrases as "HEY THERES ANOTHER GUY HERE LETS KILL HIM" and "YOU MORON!"

Basically, its mindless fun in short doses, and I have no problem with that. I felt the same way about SiN Episode 1. I still want Episode 2.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    i agree about the swordfighting, notice i never even mensioned it in what i said heh. its very tacked on, but it is a small minigame thrown in just long enough every 10-15 min to give you a quick flash of soemthing different. and for those referencing this comparable to a B-Movie, i totally agree. Its not a very well acted game and i never think it was meant to be. Its more or less a polished tech demo of what FPS have the tendancy to be on the Wii, and at the same time being very fun. most of the Wii launch games are in themselves tech demoish, but that doesnt mean they can be fun as hell. Excite truck is a simple arcade racer that uses the Wiimote motion sensitivity for control. its not a very sophisiticated game, its not very intricate, but for what it is, its very fun. we cant expect blockbuster of genre's never placed in the current control set of the Wii with teh first generation. Zelda is an exception mainly because it doesnt really feel that much different than playing it on the cube. again im not trying to force it down your throats, just get you to realize a game can have some *bad* or unpolished aspects, yet at the same time be very fun to play.

zeroomegazx on
    Too big sig.
  • Options
    SilvanosSilvanos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Wow. That came off as "your opinions are all wrong, and I think none of you have played this game very far in, because it's completely awesome". As both Gabe and Tycho have said, if developers can't make the first couple of hours of the game fun, why should we bother playing it?

Silvanos on
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Everyone who has played a game "at a friend's house" is a liar.

Caswynben on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Silvanos wrote:

Wow. That came off as "your opinions are all wrong, and I think none of you have played this game very far in, because it's completely awesome". As both Gabe and Tycho have said, if developers can't make the first couple of hours of the game fun, why should we bother playing it?

agree with what you're saying. this game and fps in general might not be peoples cup of tea who like a controler or KB and mouse instead. if you cant find any game enjoyable in an hour or more then its really not worth it.

zeroomegazx on
    Too big sig.
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Silvanos wrote:

Because you might miss out on otherwise a very fun game?

I dunno. I agree, but I had a different experience with Red Steel. First multiplayer game me and my friends had, not counting Wii Sports. So, I grabbed my Wiimote, my friend grabbed his wiimote, grabbed Red Steel(which I told him was a bad idea to get, at least right away). Went over to his place, and threw the game into his Wii.

So, we started to learn the game together, which was just funny more than anything. Both people running around in circles, barely able to get around. Finally finding each other, and unloading multiple clips in each others general vicinity.

I actually think, at least multiplayer wise, that it /feels/ like a B-movie, as others were saying. Me and a friend will be running around, unloading large amounts of bullets that won't hit, hiding to tend to our wounds. Yelling out when one of us finds out the other has armor. Finally, one of us gets the kill.

I havn't played single player, but my friend said after extensive multiplayer with us, it was very, very easy to control.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I find this game incredibly fun, and so did my friend. Trying to think of it in terms of a serious shooter that's meant to offer something new is just silly. It's mindless gunfights, and my friend and I thoroughly enjoyed it. And the repeated enemy taunts never bothered me.

Also, the explosions look awesometastic.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Man I don't know what you guys want from the controls. They are flimsy yes but it's a launch game. The controls are pretty good for a launch game, I didn't really have any complaints at all. It was a bit glitch here and there but jumping and ducking was easy, aiming got damn easy after a few hours of play and I didn't mind the turning or throwing grenades. The only complaint I had was the zoom function, doesn't make sense why you would do that since when you are actually firing a sniper rifle you don't normally push it a foot forward to zoom. The game is fun to play as long as you don't really pay attention to the story and mute the tv.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I loved Red Steel. I loved the environments, especially in Japan. The dojo, club, and the final level were amazing.

The funhouse was just crazy and innovative. I found it very, very fun.

powerss on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Heard it sucked, was going to rent it and pick up far cry with my vouchers. Game only had Red Steel on the shelves. When I got to the counter I saw Far Cry behind the glass but stuck with what I had.

And when I'm getting along well with the controls, I'm enjoying it (learning curve is steep when your exhausted)

I really enjoyed the multiplayer too.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Raybies666 wrote:
    Heard it sucked, was going to rent it and pick up far cry with my vouchers. Game only had Red Steel on the shelves. When I got to the counter I saw Far Cry behind the glass but stuck with what I had.

And when I'm getting along well with the controls, I'm enjoying it (learning curve is steep when your exhausted)

I really enjoyed the multiplayer too.
    Reviews seem to imply Far Cry is worse, so you probably made the right decision.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    From what I gather:

-Red Steel: Solid presentation, iffy control
    -Far Cry: Shitty presentation, good control

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    my cousin thinks any game with motorcycles in it is awesome

because it has motorcycles

certainly someone could find a way to like Red Steel as well, as it seems they have

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    From what I gather:

-Red Steel: Solid presentation, iffy control
    -Far Cry: Shitty presentation, good control

I've only played Red Steel but if it is considered "Solid Presentation" then Far Cry must materialize shit out of thin air.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Far Cry started out as a PS2 game, and was cancelled, probably due to quality control reasons. Ubisoft saw the Wii launch as a great way to make a quick cash grab, and rushed to finish and port the once-PS2 version of Far Cry for the Wii, and threw it onto store shelves.

It's a horrible, horrible game, and Ubisoft should be ashamed of themselves for unleashing it upon the world.

edit: Ubisoft did a commendable job with Red Steel and Rayman. But their other games? Splinter Cell DA, GT Pro Series, Far Cry? Port, port, crappy rushed half-finished port.

slash000 on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    slash000 wrote:
    edit: Ubisoft did a commendable job with Red Steel and Rayman. But their other games? Splinter Cell DA, GT Pro Series, Far Cry? Port, port, crappy rushed half-finished port.

I like Splinter Cell DA.

Lemming on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's really fun, and the controls really remind me of Goldeneye, but I really wish that there was more than four multiplayer maps.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    MrNarseMrNarse Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I played through the single player on a rental, and I don't feel like I need to play it again. It was slightly enjoyable, but that was only because of the controls (aside from the way they handled zooming, and maybe the grenades). The way they handled the turning (with having to point near the edges of the screen) was not really a problem at all.

If this game came out for a console using the dual analog control scheme, it would probably be one of the worst console FPS titles ever made. The voice acting is atrocious. The graphics are average at its best, and look so bad as to resemble an N64 game at some points. The sword fighting was terrible as well. No matter what gun an enemy had, they could hit you dead on as if they had a sniper rifle.

With that said, I still enjoyed it despite some pretty horrible things, and I have high hopes for Wii FPS games in the future.

MrNarse on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Silvanos wrote:

Yeah, it sure isn't a direct response to several people mentioning specific timeframes of play under an hour. Yep. Sure wasn't. Have you read the other threads on the game?

Also, surely you should never need to adjust the controls on the wii. Ever. I mean, it's complex motion sensing - it should basically set itself! And make you coffee! :roll:

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)