Options

[Fashion] ver 37.4: the layering. This Time it's Personal!

• Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    why are black suits/sport-coats specifically a "going to the club" thing? i mean, why is black better in that instance than charcoal or navy?

there are various explanations - that black was considered unsophisticated and rural (like, i guess amish people and hasidics and farmers), that black is considered too severe, that lincoln was killed in a black suit and people cast them away out of respect or something.

but whatever the reason, i def advise against them. suits cost enough that you don't generally want an expensive wardrobe piece that you can wear only in narrow contexts and that people "in the know" might kind of look down on

eh, it depends on what you'll be using it for, and the cut. I wouldn't advise against them entirely.

Again, if you're getting a suit with a fashion/modern cut that you're going to be using for going out, not going to work, then a black suit is just fine, and can look pretty sharp.

But I agree with moniker that it should be down on the list of suit priorities.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wear a black suit to work no problem. Admittedly my blue or grey suits get more use however black is a bit more versatile than some give credit for.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I could wear a black belt with brown shoes and it wouldn't be a problem in a certain sense of a word, but it's definitely a problem.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I like black suits

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Your sig reminded me

Literally every suit in Inception is wank-worthy

Especially Ken Watanabe's

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    just pulled the trigger on this blazer:

med.jpg?52_1278714366med.jpg?52_1278714369med.jpg?52_1278714371

Probably shouldn't have spent the $120, but on Nov 3 I'll make $150 in bets if Ted Strickland loses his re-election bid, and frankly I'm pretty comfortable taking that to the bank.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I prefer double-vented. It sits more evenly, makes my rump look nicer, etc.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I prefer double-vented. It sits more evenly, makes my rump look nicer, etc.

I'm a single-vent man myself. Matter of preference, really.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    i still can't get over wearing unbelted pants with a tucked shirt

it looks weird to me

Organichu on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

it looks weird to me

Heh, me too!

LaOs on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The anti-black suit thing is going to be pretty much limited to people who have been trained to dislike it. Like the whole thing about leaving the lowest button undone.

People who are going purely on visual response rather than tradition aren't likely to spaz.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

it looks weird to me

I look great with it when I manage to lose my tiny gut.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The anti-black suit thing is going to be pretty much limited to people who have been trained to dislike it. Like the whole thing about leaving the lowest button undone.

People who are going purely on visual response rather than tradition aren't likely to spaz.

It's also a thing which seems to be localised to the states (and possibly Canada). Over here, around 50% of people in suits are wearing black ones. Perhaps a shade more in France, and I've never seen a suited Italian man in anything but black.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

It's also a thing which seems to be localised to the states (and possibly Canada). Over here, around 50% of people in suits are wearing black ones. Perhaps a shade more in France, and I've never seen a suited Italian man in anything but black.

Right, well, that's sort of what we're saying, isn't it? Yes, it looks slick, but it has social connotations that make it not the best choice in certain circumstances? Fashion is about more than the simple aesthetics of clothes -- it's also about context and social signaling. Otherwise you'd see Wall St bankers wearing Dior 19cm jeans, Martin Margiela sneakers, and a Rick Owens jacket.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Odjn wrote: »

Is it worth it to get fashionable before weight loss?

Can you sew? Do you know a tailor? If the answer to either of these two questions is yes, then it is definitely worth it to get a couple of pieces (obviously not a whole wardrobe) before setting out to lose weight, because you can get your clothes taken in as you go.

If the answer to both questions is no, then maybe. It depends on your motivation level and your dissatisfaction with your current wardrobe, I'd say. You want to look presentable no matter how big you are even if you're planning on trimming down. Plus weight loss is a gradual process, you're going to need clothes for the interim. If your current wardrobe is fine then stick with it, but if you want to update don't hold out just because you are planning on losing x pounds over the next y months.

taoist drunk on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Right, well, that's sort of what we're saying, isn't it? Yes, it looks slick, but it has social connotations that make it not the best choice in certain circumstances? Fashion is about more than the simple aesthetics of clothes -- it's also about context and social signaling. Otherwise you'd see Wall St bankers wearing Dior 19cm jeans, Martin Margiela sneakers, and a Rick Owens jacket.

A lot of it comes down to how many of us actually will encounter anyone who knows or cares about such conventions versus how many people will simply enjoy our appearance.

If you hang out with Will you'd better get on your grandpa suit, but otherwise?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    msh1283msh1283 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey fashion thread. Tangential question: Anybody have any resources/advice on learning how to sew/tailor?

msh1283 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A lot of it comes down to how many of us actually will encounter anyone who knows or cares about such conventions versus how many people will simply enjoy our appearance.

If you hang out with Will you'd better get on your grandpa suit, but otherwise?

fair point, but I think what's being said is that people may be underestimating how many people will find a black suit in the workplace to be a bit off, for example.

Also, there's something to be said for knowing the convention but breaking it anyway -- but it's one thing to break it purposefully (I wear all kinds of shit at work that other people don't, and aren't terribly conventional), and it's another to look like you don't know what's up.

Breaking convention and owning it can be awesome, but you should know what you're getting into in the first place, and add the necessary touches of intentionality. Like what I said about getting your black suit in a modern, fashion-forward cut. That helps add to the "yes I know I'm breaking with convention, but I look good so step off my nuts, old man" factor.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    fair point, but I think what's being said is that people may be underestimating how many people will find a black suit in the workplace to be a bit off, for example.

Also, there's something to be said for knowing the convention but breaking it anyway -- but it's one thing to break it purposefully (I wear all kinds of shit at work that other people don't, and aren't terribly conventional), and it's another to look like you don't know what's up.

Breaking convention and owning it can be awesome, but you should know what you're getting into in the first place, and add the necessary touches of intentionality. Like what I said about getting your black suit in a modern, fashion-forward cut. That helps add to the "yes I know I'm breaking with convention, but I look good so step off my nuts, old man" factor.

Oh definately. Knowledge is always better than ignorance, especially if someone tries to call you on it.

Ideally anyone with a black suit should keep a pair of shades around so they can slide them on all smooth-like when someone tries to question their attire.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Oh definately. Knowledge is always better than ignorance, especially if someone tries to call you on it.

Ideally anyone with a black suit should keep a pair of shades around so they can slide them on all smooth-like when someone tries to question their attire.

Also, a slick tie-clip, fly shoes, and a skinny tie.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Can you sew? Do you know a tailor? If the answer to either of these two questions is yes, then it is definitely worth it to get a couple of pieces (obviously not a whole wardrobe) before setting out to lose weight, because you can get your clothes taken in as you go.

If the answer to both questions is no, then maybe. It depends on your motivation level and your dissatisfaction with your current wardrobe, I'd say. You want to look presentable no matter how big you are even if you're planning on trimming down. Plus weight loss is a gradual process, you're going to need clothes for the interim. If your current wardrobe is fine then stick with it, but if you want to update don't hold out just because you are planning on losing x pounds over the next y months.

If you do want to get things that are more fashionable in the interim go as cheap as humanly possible since you most likely won't be wearing those items in the future. Also if you do hit some target weight make sure you are able to stay at it for a while before buying a ton of clothes.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Suit came in. It's a little tight in the shoulders but I think I'm just used to a less aggressive cut. Looks slick as fuck.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I want these so bad

med.jpg?52_1287784303

only problem is that they're 50% off and they're still $400

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    also, this is an example of a good black suit:

ozarks%2B2%2Bbutton%2Bsuit.jpg

Fartacus on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I've never seen a tailor before but due to my small frame a lot of the sleeves on my t-shirts are way too big. is this a thing a tailor would be able to fix or is it not worth it?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

silly extra pocket is silly and will look sillier in two years

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

silly extra pocket is silly and will look sillier in two years

Pants need length.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Double breasted suits can look great. They don't have to make you look huge, they're just most often cut in that big shouldered boxy nineties kind of style. You just need to find a trim modern cut a la John Cho in GQ:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX-0e5ChCvIk0TW77eJvdteNjDc6I2gRJoaXCs4ceVYfiq5Ro&t=1&usg=__PD2pslq52nYRhp_Uz7DmHPBPXac=

Triad Member.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    seriously though whats up with that pocket?

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Black suits work for the evening, and for extra-formal occasions. They're less versatile than a lot of other stuff, but if it's reasonably dark out you're fine wearing one.

it kind of begs the question, though, why not just buy a charcoal or navy suit instead?

people on this board are really attached to black suits

here's my theory:

the japanese are big on black suits and i think that the weeaboo quotient is high enough on this board that they've kind of picked up fashion tips through their animes

and also the matrix probably

I love you Irond Will. You say things so anti-weeaboo that I'm jealous I didn't think of them first.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Black suits work for the evening, and for extra-formal occasions. They're less versatile than a lot of other stuff, but if it's reasonably dark out you're fine wearing one.

it kind of begs the question, though, why not just buy a charcoal or navy suit instead?

people on this board are really attached to black suits

here's my theory:

the japanese are big on black suits and i think that the weeaboo quotient is high enough on this board that they've kind of picked up fashion tips through their animes

and also the matrix probably

I love you Irond Will. You say things so anti-weeaboo that I'm jealous I didn't think of them first.

I only wish my casual-but-justified bigotry could be as off the cuff and obvious.

Seriously though, Fartacus if I met you, my eyes--one of which would be twitching--would probably be glued to that pocket.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kind of looks like a fancy Sylar. I didn't notice the pocket upon first glance, but now it can't be unseen.

Kronus on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ...it's a ticket pocket. How have none of you ever heard of it before?

moniker on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    we dont go to the opera?

Joolander on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    ...it's a ticket pocket. How have none of you ever heard of it before?

because ticket pockets haven't really been a thing on suits in the US since the age of automobiles

edit: which isn't to say that i completely hate it, actually. the biggest offender on that suit is the bizarre highwater pants. the color looks more charcoal than black in the photo, but that might be the flash.

i like trim cuts, but not when the length is cropped. it just ends up looking like you're wearing a little boy's suit. long and trim does it better IMO

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    We don't go to the opera?

You should. They have fat ladies.

moniker on
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

and monocles.

Lucid on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Did you purposely capitalize the first letter in his quote moniker?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Did you purposely capitalize the first letter in his quote moniker?

...shifty.gif

moniker on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only thing a little unsettling about my suit is that it's a one button. I'm not used to that and didn't realize how much I would notice it./

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.