As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E OOC] Den of the Slavetakers

robp85robp85 Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Critical Failures
svnmls.jpg

Alright all. I'm going to make an effort to DM a PbP game. I've never played the roll of a DM before so this will be my big experiment. I can tell you right now that I feel a little trepidation after reading and playing in some awesome games on these boards but I really want to try it out so here I am.

Couple of things you'll need to know about me:
1. I've played in a few games of 4E. I'm relatively comfortable with all the rules. However, I'm still working on learning a lot of the lore for D&D. I do not consider myself an expert in any way. I'm expecting that I may be corrected during the game so if you see something that you think is wrong, let me know in a polite way and we'll work to correct it. I just want this to be fun for everyone involved.
2. I do NOT have the skills in map making as some of the other DM's on Critical Failures. So, expect simple maps from me. I'll make sure things are explained as best as possible and try to fix up the maps as best as possible but honestly I'm looking to get through a game successfully more than making perfect maps at this point.
3. I am not the most interesting writer there is here. I'll be working to make this as much fun and as entertaining as possible, though. Hopefully we can all enjoy the time playing some D&D :mrgreen:
4. I post primarily between 8 am and 4 pm PST, Monday through Friday.

I'm sure there's more for me to write there but I can't think of any others right now so we'll move on to the important stuff.
    We'll be playing the pre-made game "Den of the Slavetakers." If you have DDI access and you want to play, I'm trusting you won't read this adventure prior to playing through this with me. I'm not going to lie, I don't plan on making many changes, if any, at all. Like I said, this is my first effort and I'm just looking to make it through a game :)
    I'm looking for five 1st-level characters. You can choose anything that is currently in DDI as well as the new Primal Power book except monster races. Standard character creation (22-point, etc, etc) except I'm giving everyone a Weapon/Implement Expertise feat of their choice as a bonus.
    Please post a short sample of your character doing something. I don't have a preference on what it is. It can be a short history, an important part of their lives, or even a fight scene.
    Please have your character sheet on either
Myth-weavers or on Orokos. Rolling can be on Orokos or on Invisible Castle.
    Please limit your applications to one per person. I saw the "Stick in the Mud" thread. There was something like 346,000 applications. I don't have time to read through that much. Sorry all.
    I'm looking for people who can post at least once a weekday, at least. I will be aiming for more than that myself as I am the DM but I can understand if there are times when people get busy and are unable to do this. One or two missing posts are fine. Get too many, though, and I'll have to look for a replacement.
    At this point, this will be a one shot dungeon delve. I don't plan on continuing after this adventure is finished.
    There will be little backstory or RPing outside of the fighting. Don't expect some elaborate background or epic story. Sorry. What I wouldn't give to be able to create something as cool as the games that I've been in/am currently playing. That'll have to come later in my career, though (assuming this goes well).

Here's a little information on the hook we'll be using directly from the adventure:
It’s said that a cult devoted to Torog operates somewhere in the valley near the King’s Wall. A nearby temple of Avandra has never been able to cope with the worst problems presented by the Chaos Scar, but it certainly understands how to deal with Torog. The temple announces that it will pay anyone who can find and eliminate the temple 300 gp. As a start, Avandra’s followers point the heroes toward the area in which the Hand of Torog operates.

Alright. There's way too much text already for this intro. If anyone's interested, feel free to apply :) No past D&D experience required but I do expect you to have read/own the Player's Handbook.

Good luck!

OH YEAH! I'll be closing down the applications on 10/27/09. You've got until 11:59 pm PST to apply on that day.

Good luck once again!

Currently submitted:
Leaders:
    Taelen Krint - Tiefling Warlord -
Submitted by Inkoate
    Kazadim Yri-Rozen - Causticsoul Warlord -
Submitted by Draw On Holy Might

Defenders:
    Eri'hel'on - Githyanki Swordmage -
Submitted by Plutonium
    Ayliana - Eladrin Paladin -
Submitted by Joeslop
    Quake - Longtooth Warden -
Submitted by Gnersh
    Rune Silera - Warforged Warden -
Submitted by adventfalls

Controllers:
    Zarra - Drow Seeker -
Submitted by cytorak
    Targhas - Deva Invoker -
Submitted by deerpoob
    Kouri Katydid - Human Druid -
Submitted by astrobstrd
    Flutter - Deva Swarm Druid -
Submitted by InkSplat

Strikers:
    Narlfyr - Gnoll Assassin -
Submitted by YesNoMu
    Paela - Halfling Sorceress -
Submitted by El Skid
    Galewin Airstrum - Genasi (Windsoul) Barbarian -
Submitted by Dajian
    Gennal Aleman - Half-elf Warlock -
Submitted by Fencingsax
    Malryna Kilrae - Drow Beast Master Ranger -
Submitted by TiamatZ
    Saira - Human Barbarian/Shaman (Hybrid) -
Submitted by IAmUnaware
    Despair Betenoire - Teifling Warlock -
Submitted by CatnipCat

Skard, Shifter Warden
Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
robp85 on

• Options
    adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ...any room for newbies?

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm interested. I'll roll up a character soon.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The idea of a single dungeon delve interests me greatly, but the ridiculous amount of characters submitted to the other thread was a bit intimidating, especially because I have very little DnD experience, but a lot of experience with other, more abstract systems.

What would you say to a Githyanki Shielding Swordmage? I've already created the character for a game with friends that fell through, so I haven't had to chance to play him yet.

Also, can the bonus feat be a Focused Expertise, instead of just weapon/implement?

Plutonium on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    InkoateInkoate Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd love to give this a shot:
    Taelen Krint - Tiefling Warlord

I've never played a PbP game before, and I can post pretty much every day during the week.
    Krint's history is lost to time. He either doesn't remember his family, or chooses not to. Ending up in a small city as a child, only dumb luck kept him out of the arms of the law as long as it did. Only the sharp eye of the city's captain of the guard kept him from spending a long while eating whatever passed for food in the local jail. The captain, needing recruits more than anything else, occasionally swept the jails to see if any of the new arrivals were more likely to take orders and fight than to kill another guard member or burn something down for the hell of it. He saw something in Taelen, though Taelen himself still doesn't know what it was.

Taelen spent six years with the guard, learning the use of a sword and shield, and eventually studying battle tactics. He became one of the city's best small unit tacticians, and defended the city in a number of engagements during a border skirmish with the neighboring city.

After a number of years, Krint began to realize that he had learned all he could in this city and, while he had grown at least friendly with a number of his men, he did not feel comfortable, even after that time, associating with that many humans. It was time to move on. He struck out seeking adventure and further knowledge of tactics, and fell in with his current company after a few false starts in groups that didn't... appreciate his heritage. His current group of fellow adventurers had work out ok, so far...

Almost six feet tall, with brick red skin and short (for a tiefling) horns, Taelen is actually an amiable fellow. Intent on disturbing people's expectations of a tiefling, he has an excellent sense of humor, and smiles easily. Unless an outright slur against his heritage comes out.

A short description:
    Taelen stomped down the dusty street in the direction that the terrified peasant had pointed when asked about a pub. He hunched his shoulders into his coat, as if it could hide his horns or his tail. Tonight, joking and smiling were off the table. Tonight was a night for a dark bar, a corner table with a view of the front door and a stiff whiskey. Another group fled, another group getting together behind his back to agree that a tiefling just made it too hard to find work, or to get respect, or... or... or... Nevermind that he was the best tactician they had ever seen, or the best swordsman.

A stiff drink, yes. Then, to find another sad sack of 4 adventurers to turn into a crowd that could fight together without cutting each other's limbs off.

Inkoate on
    The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zarra, Drow Seeker

Bow? Who needs a bow?

Background:
    Shunned by her fellow drow for her disinterest in spiders and living underground, Zarra left the Underdark in order to hone her skills with the boomerang and to commune with nature. Her accuracy is uncanny as she slips into darkness and launches her deadly attacks.

Zarra fled to a forest woods, far from to the far depths, where her brethren not even dared to go. Walking randomly through the trees, the lonely stumbled upon a secluded valley home to many spirits. Startled at first, Zarra soon saw her chance; pledging her allegiance to the spirits of that small valley, the drow asked for power in return, power to achieve her objectives and protect nature at all costs. She was promptly accepted, as the spirits felt her sorrow and her pain. They imbued her with their power, and she found a new strength, one that she could count on to carry on with her life.
    I can post at least once each day, including weekends. I am currently playing in one PbP on this board and DMing one as well.

cytorak on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Light dungeon-crawling sounds great to me! I'm in one other PbP, but we haven't rolled initiative after a month...

Narlfyr, Gnoll Assassin

"Sneaking with a fullblade is actually really easy--the trick is to be invisible."

Background:
    Narlfyr was left for dead as a child by his tribe, on a village raid that went bad. The only thing that saved his life was some type of dark bargain with the Raven Queen. He was taken in by a strange but kindly human woman who raised him like a son, and taught him to keep his violent impulses under control.

When he reached puberty, Narlfyr's connection to the Shadowfell grew deeper, and he began to have violent, bloody nightmares. Eventually, he came to within a hair's breadth of slaying his foster mother. He ran away that night, and has been living by himself since, never staying anywhere for long. He doesn't like killing, but has found that it's both what he's best at and what people will hire him for.

I'll be able to post pretty much every day.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ...any room for newbies?

Yup! Go ahead and apply.
    Plutonium wrote: »
    What would you say to a Githyanki Shielding Swordmage? I've already created the character for a game with friends that fell through, so I haven't had to chance to play him yet.

Also, can the bonus feat be a Focused Expertise, instead of just weapon/implement?

I say sounds great and sure, you can have Focused Expertise instead.

Glad to see some interest. I'm sure they'll be some great, interesting characters.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Paela, Halfling Wild Magic Sorceress

Background:
    Paela was seduced early on by magic. The arcane held sway over her early life, and she took in as much as she could...occasionally too much. She had no control, and it had to come out...somewhere. She didn't mean for all those people to get hurt, for the fire that burned down all those houses, for the cold that froze that kid solid.

The power...it kept calling to her. And so she was driven out of her home, and was forced to live her life in fear.

She can control it now...a little. Or at least direct it at the people that want to hurt her and away from the few friends she's made over the years. And she needs to support herself. To learn. To figure out how to handle more of the sweet sweet power that courses through her veins and makes her feel alive.

Edit- Should mention that I'm on here way way too often for my own good, no problem posting enough.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So we get our regular level 1 feat as well as a proficiency, or....

adventfalls on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    robp85 wrote: »
    I'm looking for five 1st-level characters. You can choose anything that is currently in DDI as well as the new Primal Power book except monster races. Standard character creation (22-point, etc, etc) except I'm giving everyone a Weapon/Implement Expertise feat of their choice as a bonus.

Woo- quoted for I-almost-missed-that.

You get your regular feat (or feats, depending on your race) as well as a free weapon or implement expertise feat.

El Skid on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Defender - Eri'hel'on, Githyanki Shielding Swordmage
    Traveling far away from the astral planes where the Githyanki kingdom resides, Eri'hel'on escaped a disgraceful death at the hands the society he once called his home. Now in pursuit of massive wealth and ancient powerful arcane mysteries, he hopes to one day harness the great power that they both bring in order to exact his revenge against the corrupt forces in the Githyanki kingdom who would have taken his life.

So if the local temple of Avandra in this backwater town is looking for some selfless heroes to go wipe out the local pesky cult, he'll be happy to tag along with those heroes and drag their asses out of the fire in exchange for the lion's share of the reward. And if they end up dependable enough, perhaps a long-term association will end up being more profitable than not.
    I hope you won't hold it against me that it's not the most organic of characters. What I really want to do is roll some dice, kill some bad guys, have some fun, and end up with a fairly good shot at dying underground. After all, this is a one-shot adventure, and they'll be plenty of time to figure out the rest during the game, as it becomes necessary to invent more of a background and personality.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    deerpoobdeerpoob Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Roleplaying Pbp is nothing new to me, Dnd however, is XD odd eh? but ya, I own the books, read them and have a fair understanding of the rules, but have yet to get enough people to try a game, so I figured this would be a good intro! what do ya say?

Targhas, Deva Invoker
    Targhas sighed, watching the drunken drawf yet again try to make his way to the door, and yet again the short drunken creature fell flat on his face, of course this was no embaressment to the man, he let out a loud bellow of laughter, face still against the hard wooden floor, and it was followed by a warm laugh from the patrons of the bar and Targhas found himself smiling as the dwarf managed to get to his feet. The large, dark skinned man walked to the dwarf, patted his shoulder, and helped him out "I didn't think dwarves could get quite so drunk my friend, but you managed it...."

deerpoob on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ayliana, Paladin of Bahamut

The doors to the mayor's office slammed open, startling the two men inside. Before either could say a word, the short Eladrin was upon them, slamming a pair of wrist irons onto the mayor's desk.
    "Why in the seventh burning pits of HELL is Regak being freed? You both know damn well what he's done to the people of this city and now he's been given a free pass to continue it!"

The older man sitting across from the mayor stood, glaring at the armored figure. "You will control yourself, Ayliana! You know for a fact that there isn't a single shred of evidence that puts Regak at fault for these crimes. You dragged him into town, unconscious, by yourself, and covered in blood!" The man's features softened a little before continuing, "I'm aware of your history with this man but you absolutely cannot use your stature for your person vendettas."

The mayor stood as well, spreading his arms as he spoke, "I too regret this course of action but you've really left us no choice. Regak's father is very influential in this city and is likely to have spirited him away to some unknown haven. The best we can hope for is that he finds a way to...control...any sort of tendencies like this crime."

Ayliana narrowed her eyes at both men, "So we're reduced to begging at the feet of the wealthy and self-important of the town instead of obeying our laws. I thought the City Guard stood for something better than that."

The older man sighed, putting a hand on her shoulder, "Ayliana, you must understand our position. If the wealthy and important aren't given the consideration due to them, we won't have the support or resources that we do. We could both lose our positions and the whole city would be worse off for it."

The Paladin shrugged the man's hand off her shoulder, "If that's what the idea of honor and nobility have been reduced to then I want no part of it."

Snatching a ceremonial dagger from a placard on the mayor's desk, Ayliana cut the City Guard's tabard from her armor, letting it drop to the floor and throwing the dagger, point first, pinning the tabard to the floor. "Consider this my resignation."

She turned around, stalking out of the office leaving the two men to stare after her. Finding Regak and bringing him to justice might not be possible with his father's resources offering the best protection; charging off and asking the wrong people the right questions would just dig him deeper into his hole. Ayliana set her mouth in a grim smile, I always wanted to travel...time to see the world.

Action shots! (apologies for using the WoW Model Viewer however it is one of the easier ways to get a good feel for how a character looks)
    screenshot108i.jpg
    screenshot104q.jpg
    screenshot105q.jpg
    screenshot106tl.jpg
    screenshot107m.jpg

Joeslop on
  • Options
    GnershGnersh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hurrah! I present Quake the Longtooth-Shifter Warden.
    Quake, Longtooth Wildblood Warden
    Quake was born into a family of Shifters that had taken to city living quite well. His parents had no desire to go out and see nature or to hunt deer as he did. In other words they had been tamed. Even though they lavished love on him and gave him all the attention and encouragement he needed, he still felt as though they were not his true parents. He tolerated them, ate with them, sometimes even laughed with them, but he did not love them.

Soon after his 16th birthday he ran away. He had a longing to be out in the world, see the mighty trees, splash through the cool streams, run with creatures great and small. He was alone with nature and he loved it. Soon he becamed attuned to nature in a deep and caring way. He could heal small animals and twist the roots of a dying plant back into good soil. However even the most free-willed people must have companions and he began to long humanoid friends.

He left the forest to go seek like-minded individuals. People not confined to walls but that roamed free. He found none. He travelled a long way facing many dangers and honing his skills untill he found a valley. Wandering into town he found that the valley was called the Chaos Scar. He also learned that there were many groups that were recruiting fighting men to help destroy travel into the valley and destroy evil there.
    "Surely such individuals must be like me. People that travel far and wide and never stop." But after 4 years of searching, he was not convinced.

He is of average height and weight. He has dark brown skin, pointy ears and a wide nose. His hair and nails are long and his eyes seem to shift from being blue one day to green the next. He wants to impress people enough to travel with him so he tries to speak intelligently but he has one major flaw that he hasn't realized isn't civil yet. He licks himself.

Short paragraph:
    Quake woke up as soon as he smelled the smoke. He grabbed his spear and ran haphazardly through the woods constantly sniffing to find the source. It wasn't long before he found the source of the smoke he had smelled. 5 goblins pranced around with torches happily burning the forest around them. They laughed and hollered and sang a merry tune at the good fun they were having.
    Quake could barely contain his rage. He waited untill they were very close before he struck. They never saw him coming.

May I get past the first encounter in this game!

Gnersh on
  • Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Galewin Airstrum Genasi (Windsoul) Barbarian

Brief Bio: Born into a small mining town Galewin’s life was set a new path the day Douven Staul came to his town. Douven was looking for a new student to train and began testing the young men of the town at the sword, bow, spear, and arcane arts. Galewin had never practiced much with any save the quarter staff. Douven handed Galewin a spear with a look that said he expected little.

The sparring started and Galewin won his first match by speed alone. The next he thought perhaps he just got lucky, no one was dumb enough to try the same attack three times in a row he thought. One after another he bested the other boys in his village and each time Douven’s gaze become more intense. Though Galewin hardly noticed though because with each match he lost himself more and more in the battle dance. The last match had him facing three other boys and Douven himself. The three went down quick enough, but Douven seemed to always be a step ahead. A growing frustration in Galewin peaked and in a moment of pure rage Galewin vaulted using his spear over one of the fallen boys and seemed to fly through the air and as he passed over Douven’s head the butt of the spear found the back of the would be teacher’s head sending him the ground.

Douven took Galewin under his wing teaching him the arts of an adventurer. Several months ago Galewin parted ways with his mentor after Douven told him it was time to go forth and make a name for himself on his own to become a true adventurer.

Brief Personality: Galewin is easy going and quick with a quip. He even treats battle as a game more often than not, but on the rare occasions where his skills are pushed too far he can snap unleashing a brutal display of carnage.

Dajian on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd really like to get in on a PbP. This would be my first and my first 4e experience (playing since 1st though).

I couldn't figure out how to add a feat in the Character Builder...so just add Implement Focus ( Staff) or Focused Expertise (Quarterstaff) if that is available.

Kouri Katydid Human Druid

Kouri was born on the same night as her half-brother Khameel to two different mothers in a wealthy merchant's harem. Both women died in childbirth, causing the family and the community to regard the children with suspicion. The strange birthmarks both bore did little to quell anyone's fears. The girl had a moon over her eye and the boy had a sun on his forehead. They may have even been killed if it wasn't for the intervention of a feared crone who dwelt in the desert sands.

Khameel grew resentful and bitter; seeking military training and solace in alcohol. Kouri had a hard time holding a grudge against the community, but also found her village boring and stifling and lept at the opportunity to leave with the crone into the desert when she was 12. Kouri learned the woman's name was Alissoun and she was a powerful druid. Kouri learned the ways of the wild and set out into the world to find her destiny.
    The screams of the young girl rang for miles, but her captors paid her no mind.

"Your gold or your life, lady."

She saw the burning pile that was her wagon only an hour ago; it was the only source of light against the desert sky. They had killed her father in the struggle to stop that cart. They had added his body along with the body of Yoppi, her faithful hound, to the flame. The acrid smoke aided her tears.

Suddenly, a peal of lightning struck one of the bandits. Three more tried to move and slid on the suddenly frozen sand beneath their feet.

"Leave her be." A woman stepped into the light, wielding a simple ashen staff capped on either end with wrought-iron. Her cloak blew in the desert wind, but her form was solid.

"You have ten seconds to leave or answer to the spirits of the desert that you are offending. Answer to their protector, Kouri Katydid."

Kouri maintained her composure and hoped that they were more frightened than her. She was out-numbered, but she couldn't just leave.

Luckily, the bandits began to scramble. They sought their horses and fled into the night...all but the one who held the young girl at sword-point. He was heavily scarred and began to laugh.

"Those other idiots might fear parlor tricks wizard, but I'll slice you to pieces." He turned to Kouri and broke into a run, khopesh reflecting the funeral pyre.

"Heh...I'm no wizard fool," Kouri charged forward, dropping her staff and dropping to all fours as her body changed into that of a beast, "and this is where you feed the vultures tonight."

edit: added action

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gennal Aleman
    Gennal is not used to having power. He never expected to be the essence of a sidereal force. He expected to inherit the inn from his father, and make his living selling food and rooms to travelers, as his family has done for as long as he can remember. Unfortunately, all of his expectations have now been shattered, and he now walks the earth, dreading the power that now resides in him, yet knowing that he must learn to control it, lest it consume him. He hopes that he is not asked to do anything too vile, but with his luck as of late, he figures that's not too likely. He has left his small town searching for anonymity and training, hoping that none of the good people he grew up with realize he now wields the terrible will of the stars. The worst part seems to be that he is beginning to enjoy using such power. Now that the comet has fallen, he has no choice, and seeks to put things right.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Alright, I'll post what we have so far. Some good stuff so far.

Leaders:
      Taelen Krint - Tiefling Warlord -
    Submitted by Inkoate

Defenders:
      Eri'hel'on - Githyanki Swordmage -
    Submitted by Plutonium
      Ayliana - Eladrin Paladin -
    Submitted by Joeslop
      Quake - Longtooth Warden -
    Submitted by Gnersh

Controllers:
      Zarra - Drow Seeker -
    Submitted by cytorak
      Targhas - Deva Invoker -
    Submitted by deerpoob
      Kouri Katydid - Human Druid -
    Submitted by astrobstrd

Strikers:
      Narlfyr - Gnoll Assassin -
    Submitted by YesNoMu
      Paela - Halfling Sorceress -
    Submitted by El Skid
      Galewin Airstrum - Genasi (Windsoul) Barbarian -
    Submitted by Dajian
      Gennal Aleman - Half-elf Warlock -
    Submitted by Fencingsax

Keep 'em coming.

EDIT: I'm going to keep this up on the OP. I'll just update as I get time and more people apply. Hopefully that'll be handy for others to see. It's definitely gonna help me out :)

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Rune Silera, Warforged Warden

"How would you like to die today, meatbag?"
    Awakened by the elements, Rune found that he was built for smashing things with a sword. He has largely kept to himself, occasionally going into public for laughs and fun (and slaying any meatbags that try and stop him). There is no stopping Rune. You can get out of his way or you can follow, but you cannot stop him.

All he seeks is a challenge and a good time, and it seems a temple of Avandra is offering both...

adventfalls on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh neat, this is a chaos scar adventure too

it'll be interesting to see how much it will differ from the game I'ma be running concurrently

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Draw On Holy MightDraw On Holy Might Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, I had a great idea for an Abyssal Genasi in the Chaos Scar, but that shit is nowhere near being in the CB yet.
    What are the chances of allowing that here?

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    devilkindevilkin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This sounds interesting, I've never played this kind of RP before. On a quick side note, I'm interested in seeing if there is a local group of penny arcade readers running a game (and is looking for more players). Is there a space on the forums for that?

devilkin on
    I give men dreams, and men are led by their dreams.

Stick Figure Serials Comic Blog
    http://stickfigureserials.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »

it'll be interesting to see how much it will differ from the game I'ma be running concurrently

Clearly there needs to be a way to merge the two together universe slash canonwise.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Perhaps the parties could merge at some point/interact?

adventfalls on
  • Options
    GnershGnersh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In a super-adventure the likes of which this forum, nay this world has never known?

Gnersh on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Man, I had a great idea for an Abyssal Genasi in the Chaos Scar, but that shit is nowhere near being in the CB yet.

Absolutely! Use an Abyssal Genasi. I've been looking to build one myself :)

Just use Myth-weavers for the character sheet since it isn't in the CB yet.
    gnersh wrote:
    In a super-adventure the likes of which this forum, nay this world has never known?

Hehe. Interesting....

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

gnersh wrote:

Hehe. Interesting....

Perhaps there is a puzzle dungeon with divergent paths? Or two places need to be cleared out nigh-simultaneously?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

gnersh wrote:

Hehe. Interesting....

Perhaps there is a puzzle dungeon with divergent paths? Or two places need to be cleared out nigh-simultaneously?

Or a job so big that both parties must combine powers?

adventfalls on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Clearly there needs to be a way to merge the two together universe slash canonwise.

Hylian I advise that you do not write slashfics.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Hylian I advise that you do not write slashfics.

The world has enough of Harry/Snape/Draco.

Wait, wrong fandom.

adventfalls on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    gnersh wrote:

Hehe. Interesting....

Perhaps there is a puzzle dungeon with divergent paths? Or two places need to be cleared out nigh-simultaneously?[/QUOTE]

Or a job so big that both parties must combine powers?[/QUOTE]

The Chaos Scar strikes me as a place where this doesn't happen.

You're lucky enough just not to die with your face in the mud, crap, blood or ash that cakes the ground of this crapsack world that was once a beloved place to live.

Two adventuring parties managing to survive AND happen to run across each other and have super team up times kinda runs against the grain of what I'm going for.

Plus it's not as humorous as them constantly adventuring, seeing evidence of others active in the area but never actually meeting, perhaps even misinterpreting the wake of adventurism as the plundering actions of whatever slavering filthy hordes they have been recently repelling.

And humor shall be a big part of what I do in t'other thread.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Alright, updated the submitted applications. Not sure how many more applications I'm going to get but I still plan on keeping this open until Tuesday for anyone who hasn't had a chance to submit yet.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've been kinda busy, but I'm still planning on submitting. I'll have time over this weekend.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    Draw On Holy MightDraw On Holy Might Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alright, here we go.
    Kazadim Yri-Rozen, Causticsoul Warlord
    The Chaos of this land destroys all that it touches.
    My father was once a proud Watersoul. He and my mother came from the tribes up in the Far North, where the land is cold, and the water is cold, and the warmth of the sun is just a myth that everyone heard about when they were younger, but never really believed. Ice and snow, nothing but ice and snow. They told me it was beautiful, the North. Someday, I still hope to see it.

My parents came to this place long ago, when the lands were still fertile and the promise of infinite possibilities was still something tangible, before the tarnished population would eventually settle down and destroy it all. They came here to make a new life for themselves, back when it was still more than just a dream. He never told me why they left that glorious North to come here, to this now wretched place, but I always suspected the worst. My mother choked up and fought back tears each time I attempted to learn the truth, so I gave up my inquiries and let the trust of family quell the doubts I might have had.

I learned, many years later, from a passing Airsoul mystic, about the dark secrets of the Abyss. About terrible curses and portents, about corrupted legacies from ages long past, about a whispered terror, and bargains made with demons from far beyond.
    Superstitions. But he laughed, and told me of the Northern tribes and their darkest fears. The Plagued Waters.
    And suddenly, it all made sense.

The Scar was not always like this. It was a glorious place once, when my parents first arrived. It was bountiful and green and full of life, before the Fires From Above came. They said I was born on the day after the comet. I never thought of myself as different, as there were no other genasi in the area for many years, and even then, it was mostly the pretentious Firesoul and those capricious Stormsouls that had settled into the local villages.

The mystics of North had looked into the stars and saw glimpses of the future. They saw misery and death. A plague was coming, a pandemic the likes of which none had never seen before, and it was to be my birth. The legends say that corrupted children must be sacrificed to maintain the peace of the tribe and the purity of the Water. It was not an easy thing to ask of anyone, to take the life of your own unborn child, but my father wasted no time in his decision. He chose exile. Exile instead of the inevitable fate that would befall me, which was a sin that could never be forgiven.
    The Waters of the North flow together, forever. He faced death himself if he ever returned.

So we came here. And this scar of terrible chaos made me what I am.
    My father was once a proud Watersoul. He gave that up to save me. He died fighting the evils of this land when they beseeched us from all sides, but he never gave up hope that there was a way to save it all. He taught me of the old traditions and the beautiful lands of the North. One day, I will see it.

The Chaos of this land destroys all that it touches. And so shall I.
    I am a part of this wretched patch of mud and sweat, and evils from beyond the stars. Though I hate it, I am as much a part of the chaos and corruption here as the burned out sky, and the blood winds, and the screams in the night.
    I am Kazadim Yri-Rozen. I am the Plagued Waters of legend. I am the terrible swift current that spells the demise of this cursed earth.

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm going to try and submit a post here, since my PbP thread I'm in (KoTS one) feels like it's dying out, so I need to find a new thread to play.

Here she is:

Malryna Kilrae, Drow Beast Master Ranger
    "So, you think its fun to step on those bugs, eh? How about I let my 'friend' over here step on YOU?!"

Dark_Elf_Ranger_WP_by_mindflenzing.png

and her companion, Blackfang

Monstrous_spider_by_ortheza.jpg
    Put it simply, she's fascinated with insects, bugs, spiders and other creepy crawlies of the realm. Since she had no contact to druids and other primal warriors of nature, she decided to defend nature using the next best thing: martial training and discipline. She views herself as the 'unofficial' protecter of these litle beasties... Cause Hey! If she can't, who would? Her ultimate goal in life is to travel to the Underdark and find out her heritage (was she born in Drow nobility? What was her house's name? How did she reach the surface world? etc.), but for now, she's content to go on adventures, see the world and so forth...

The invitation:
    "Sorry girl, this is all I've got left, so you better savor it." says Malryna to her dear companion Blackfang (a giant spider she found, raised and finally, bonded with in the dark forests of her old hometown) as she hurls the last dead rat to its mandibles.

The past few days haven't been exactly favorable to the Drow ranger: most of her money's gone from buying food and provisions for both of them, and every employer she goes to to find work (even the mundane ones) are immediately rejected. And all of them were met with the same answer: she was a Drow. This was ironic, since she was found and raised here on the surface by a family of tolerant humans. Having no memories, recollections or experience of the Underdark her people lived in, Malryna has practically none of her race's xenophobic and chaotic tendencies, except of course, their fascination with spiders. At their best, the villagers would ignore her, and at their worst, would chase both of them out of their towns.

"I'm practically out of a job here Blackie! I mean, even though I'm a protector of nature, It's difficult to think straight on an empty stomach. There's no point in foraging the local flora around here, since I heard that the Chaos Scar might have tainted the trees, bushes and Light, the very ground itself! You know what that means? Of course not. As long as you get fed, it's all that matters to you, right? What it means is that growing and farming food here is difficult for the local populace to do here, which means the prices for even a simple loaf of bread is just ludicrous! I could practically pray to Avandra for all the luck we would need and I would still not get a...".

She stops in midsentence as a piece of parchment flies into her face. As she removes the parchment, the words “looking for adventurers" written on the parchment caught her attention.

After analyzing it, she turns to Blackfang and starts talking anxiously. "Well well, Blackie! Apparently the followers of Avandra are looking for some adventurers to find some sort of temple. And the best part is: the temple's only three days away from here, close to King's Wall. Praise to Avandra, indeed!" Malryna smirks as she finished reading the parchment again for good measure. Blackfang merely chitters, oblivious to the Drow's words, but offers a few encouraging clicks with its mandibles at the sight of the optimistic Drow.

With their goal and path set, both Malryna and Blackfang leave the town behind them, moving to what would be fame, fortune, and hopefully, a decent meal as well...

I'm currently DMing the Scales of War thread here, and I'm playing in one PbP thread (though that thread seems to be dying out, or moving really slow).

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Never played before, but interested in trying. Not much of a writer, though.

Despair Betenoire: Teifling Warlock

The chill in the air is nothing for the cold frost that emanates out from the fresh mug of the strongest ale in front of a lone figure at the bar. It's quiet a feat to be alone, given how crowded the the establishment is. But keeping people at a distance comes natural to Betenoire. Keeping alchohol away, however, is something much harder. The delicious brew that clouds the mind and quiets the nagging in the back of the mind. A mug full of solace. Of complacency. With each sip another woe shuts up and fades off into the background.

The lack of work these days. Sip.

Being raised in secret, a living reminder of his mother's... indiscretion. Sip.

When the mug was finally emptied and placed along its many brothers in front of Betenoire, the dark silence of the streets seemed finally inviting. The feeling of being enveloped in the dark was a conforting feeling. It's much harder to be recognized as something out of the ordinary when the accursed lights were put out. It was time to try again to find some mercenary work. Maybe there will be a job tonight. If not, the bar will always been there tomorrow.

It's really hard to write for a teifling without it coming off as emo. Despair is much more sarcastic and uncaring than whiney or anything like that.

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alright, since I didn't get many answers in the main thread, but I do plan to throw my hat in the ring.. should I go pure Swarm Druid, or Swarm Druid/Wizard hybrid? You decide! :P

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    deerpoobdeerpoob Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    so just out of curiousity what will you be basing the descisions on? obviously we would choose one of each role, and one extra one (probebly someone who could fill two roles partially) and maybe one or two more (5-7 people total right?) but what are you basing the descicion on? random? writing skill? how the races/alignments/classes mesh?

deerpoob on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Alright, since I didn't get many answers in the main thread, but I do plan to throw my hat in the ring.. should I go pure Swarm Druid, or Swarm Druid/Wizard hybrid? You decide! :P

I am interested in seeing a pure swarm druid. I played a druid once and would've loved playing one of them.
    deerpoob wrote: »
    so just out of curiousity what will you be basing the descisions on? obviously we would choose one of each role, and one extra one (probebly someone who could fill two roles partially) and maybe one or two more (5-7 people total right?) but what are you basing the descicion on? random? writing skill? how the races/alignments/classes mesh?

It'll be a combination of things. I'll be choosing 5 people (1 leader, 1 defender, 1 controller, 2 strikers). If someone's description/sample post really stands out, they of course will have a better chance on getting in. I'll also be looking for interesting class/race combination and possibly seeing some new things I've yet to see.

I guess, to answer your question in short, yes to all except the random part.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden