Options

The Office thread: Shove it up your butt!

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    From what I can gather the main reason they don't switch over to reading ratings from cable boxes is because they want to know when there's a person at the TV actively watching that show and who that person is demographics-wise.

Opty on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not to mention that some people might not be all that wild about the idea that everything they ever watch is being tracked and recorded.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Not to mention that some people might not be all that wild about the idea that everything they ever watch is being tracked and recorded.

Tivo does this already. Hulu and its ilk do as well. I'm all for the sharing of worthless information if it means better shows don't get foxed.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Tivo does this already. Hulu and its ilk do as well. I'm all for the sharing of worthless information if it means better shows don't get foxed.

Yea I really agree with that. Considering we don't have cable, just a digital antenna, I catch a lot of shows on hulu anyways, since I don't always want to sit and watch stuff only when its broadcasting. I would greatly prefer they count hulu and the like into their system, maybe for the week after shows airs, if its one that they put up next day on hulu. Maybe some good shows would get to stay around longer if they'd catch up to technology in their counting system.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When I was younger and found out about the ratings I was paranoid that 'They' knew what I was watching. Particularly the bad things late at night...

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just watched the episode last night...regarding the new interim manager:
    I'm pretty sure we didn't see Creed at all, or least he didn't do/say anything. I totally forgot about him until they showed him in the big chair.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty sure we didn't see Creed at all, or least he didn't do/say anything. I totally forgot about him until they showed him in the big chair.
    We briefly saw him earlier, disposing of the evidence after the "incident." It's in his nature.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    JonBob wrote: »
    We briefly saw him earlier, disposing of the evidence after the "incident." It's in his nature.

Yeah, realized afterwards that he did show up a couple of times. Don't know why I forgot about him, though.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I noticed him as soon as he grabbed the gun from Dwight and I'm not sure how you could miss him at the end?

Maybe I've just trained myself to gather all the B and C plots going on in the background because I hardly remember what happened during the main story. Not that it didn't really catch me, but its fun for me that way.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Slider wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    Sweeps are the weeks when ratings are checked for figuring out advertising rates, which is why they want to have ratings as high as possible.

Is this unethical? It certainly seems...wrong. Like you only have to put forth your best effort for a short period of time and after that you can slack off.

I mean, I care very little for advertisments. In fact, it is the reason why I avoid television.

I work in TV.

A very common phrase the day after sweeps ends is 'now we can go back to giving 45%'.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I didn't say it makes sense, just that people who might not necessarily fit into the demographic of this forum would be less than ecstatic about the idea.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Had a look on wikipedia, and by all accounts this episode will be rather heavy on special guests. I think it would be quite interesting to have a female manager as it would add a different dynamic to the set-up, but I'm not a fan of Catherine Tate.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Catherine Tate, the black hole of funny. Eugh.

DanWeino on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    UK Resident: "I'm not a fan of Catherine Tate."
    Non-UK Doctor Who fan: "I love Catherine Tate."
    Everyone else: "Who is Catherine Tate?"

I'm sure she won't be doing her Lauren schtick or anything, and the sheer quantity of guests means that nobody will have much time on screen. She'll be fine.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As someone who is in the "Non-UK Doctor Who fan" category and knows nothing of her otherwise - what exactly did Catherine Tate do in the UK for her hated non-Who reputation? Just a career of being unfunny and annoying?

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The 'Catherine Tate Show' a comedy sketch show riddled with endless catchphrases and squarely aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wikipedia says that there are versions of the Office for Germany, France, Israel, Quebec, Chile, and Brazil, but I've never heard anyone talk about anything but the US and British iterations. Has anybody watched any of the non-English speaking versions? Are they any good?

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The 'Catherine Tate Show' a comedy sketch show riddled with endless catchphrases and squarely aimed at the lowest common denominator.

so the UK equivalent of sarah silverman?

Jars on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    She's an OK actress, though, and it's a shame that she's used her talent for observation to create some of the most obnoxiously unwatchable characters on television.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I find her quite likeable on chat shows and such, but yeah, The Catherine Tate Show is just horrible.

DanWeino on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DasBootDasBoot Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Looking forward to tonight, but I do have concerns with a couple of story lines for the future.

The first being the whole Phyllis and Erin thing. The second comes as a result of this deleted scene:
    http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/acting-manager-clip-two/1327322/

I'm not really interested in a Jim-Jordan-Pam love triangle, and if I remember correctly deleted scenes are a part of the overall show cannon

DasBoot on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Little Game Blog - http://profundospielen.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DasBoot wrote: »
    Looking forward to tonight, but I do have concerns with a couple of story lines for the future.

The first being the whole Phyllis and Erin thing. The second comes as a result of this deleted scene:
    http://www.nbc.com/the-office//video/Acting-Manager---Clip-Two/1327322

I'm not really interested in a Jim-Jordan-Pam love triangle, and if I remember correctly deleted scenes are a part of the overall show cannon

I can definitely see how a page not found could cause issues.

Edit: Here's the clip I imagine you're talking about: http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/acting-manager-clip-two/1327322/

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I just saw that. It's fairly expected as outside of death, the writers have pretty much covered all the conventional relationship dramas - unrequited love, separation, engagement, marriage, birth, children etc.

Considering Jim and Pam are the main protagonists, it's no surprise they'd head down that eventually.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That was actually a nice deleted scene, but Jim won't leave Pam for Jordan until Jordan becomes the new receptionist.

He has a history of that, but assistants? Pfftt.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    James Spader is amazing.

This is incredible.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    James Spader needs to be the new manager. James Spader. James Spader.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That was a good scene. Warren Buffett showing up, that was kind of stupid.

edit: SHUT UP ABOUT THE SUN!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ahahahahaha
    shut up about the sun! SHUT UP ABOUT THE SUN!

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Are we sure Gabe isn't the Scranton Strangler?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Gabe is the best, I hope he's not the strangler so we can watch him freak out more.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Catherine Tate was awful.

If she gets picked, which is the big rumor right now, I would not watch the show.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    poor Darryl.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2011
    Is B. J. Novak awesome or is B. J. Novak awesome? He's been pure gold for a good while now.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yes! Gabe
    is DONE!

Edit: Spoilers!?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2011
    B.J.!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    What the fuuuuuck, why didn't
    Jim Carrey get an interview?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If it's not Spader, but Tate, then this will be the last episode for me.

edit: WTF?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This isn't a cliffhanger I can get behind at all. This is a crock of shit.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg