As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Office thread: Shove it up your butt!

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I almost get the impression that the interviews sort of were...real interviews.

Like, they do not know who is going to be the boss, wrote these characters for various actors and decided to give them a test run. However the writers, audience, network etc all agree works the best will likely be chosen. Then hopefully they will accept, if not they go to their number 2 pick, etc.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kelly had the line of the night:

Gabe: Ok, fine, what would you say are your weaknesses?
    Kelly: I don't have any, asshole.

SarcasmoBlaster on
  • Options
    DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No love for Romano here? I liked how easily manipulated he was. Have him manager then because it was jim's decision and his fault if they guy quits, Jim can reprise his role of looking after the boss, making sure he doesnt leave.

Second choice would be Carey. Mainly becvause his 30 seconds were brilliant. Although not sure how well he'd work long term.

I think it will be Jim in the end though. The show has pretty much followed him through everything. Next step: in charge, and how to deal with Pam while not pissing everyone off.

DanWeino on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I wonder why they removed that deleted scene from the Dwight episode? That was pretty good Jim time. And if they have any intention of continuing down a "office girl has crush on Jim" story, it would be a good base.

I loved this last episode. I dont think ive laughed this hard at the office in a while. All the guests were perfect. I didnt MIND the brittish lady, but she was by far the worst.

Spader makes for the most interesting character because he actually set up conflicts and drama with other characters in his short stay. Will Jim get steam rolled? Does he have Dwight figured out? Will ladies be suseptible to his scary genius? Plus, it doesnt scream as much of a desperate 'we got a big name comedian dude to replace Carell! Watch us!"

Will Arnett is pretty good to. You could have a guy who really is in no position to be boss, knows he is in no position to be boss and is constantly trying to lie to himself and others to keep the charade going. It would have an Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margerett thing going on, which could work well.

Personally, I think the will go with Ricky Gervis. It would cause a good amount of buzz for shear strangeness (Star of show takes over for the strar of the english remake of said show..playing original show character...) and would keep things relatively similar but slightly fresh. And you wouldnt have "oh he's doing a Michael Scott impression" because any similariities would be originally credited to him anyway.

That being said, I want Arnett then Spader.

http://www.rickygervais.com/thissideofthetruth.php

Ricky Gervais who said that he was never a serious contender, that he thinks the American version of the office is only a paycheck, and that it was fun watching it jump the super-shark really hard last night.

Dude does not seem to care for the show much.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Eh, reading that it seems less like he dislikes it, but more like itd be a step backwards for him. Im not sure I agree with him, but I see where he is coming from. Probably something about playing the same character 10 years later after so much success would seem like a lack of progress
    if you're insecure...

I dont think I wouldve wanted him, but it wouldve been an interesting story (like in the media, not in the show).

Here's hoping for Spader or Arnett.

Also, im depressed David Cross didnt have a small interview role, he couldve nailed a nervous, sweaty bumbling, talk himself into a corner type interview.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm throwing in my vote for Romano, as well. He seems like a good fit.

Slider on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm definitely hoping for Arnett or Spader. I just can't see any of the other outside hires working out long term.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    James Spader.

Holy shit.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like Spader, but I think Andy would actually be a pretty decent manager too. He's not good at sales but he is personable and reasonably fair. Plus they could add him without having to add another big money actor to the budget.

Of the guest stars though, Spader was definitely the best.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I like Spader, but I think Andy would actually be a pretty decent manager too. He's not good at sales but he is personable and reasonably fair. Plus they could add him without having to add another big money actor to the budget.

Andy's not far off from Michael, too. A pathetic, lonely dude who's kind of ridiculous, placed in a job that at first glance he isn't suited for at all. Love triangle with Andy, Jordan, and Erin. Could work.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Andy's not far off from Michael, too. A pathetic, lonely dude who's kind of ridiculous, placed in a job that at first glance he isn't suited for at all. Love triangle with Andy, Jordan, and Erin. Could work.

Wait what? When was this insinuated? Did my dvr cut something off or is this from a deleted scene?

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think it's going to be Ryan.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm surprised David Wallace didn't throw his hat into the ring.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Wait what? When was this insinuated? Did my dvr cut something off or is this from a deleted scene?

It wasn't. I'm just saying, Jordan's still the manager's assistant right, so I could see them doing something like that.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Talka wrote: »
    Andy's interview was the best.

Dwight interviewing Andy in one of the earlier seasons was better. That was one of my favorite office moments.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Andy definitely knows more than anyone else in the office about the sun.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No one's mentioned it. Can I just say that one of the best lines of the night was "oh don't say that Stanley you'll live forever...."?

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yes, I was dying from that. Im still not even sure I get it...but I loved it regardless. Ryan was so amazing this episode.

"He liked my facebook photo at 3am"

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    James.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For some reason, I thought the funniest line last night was from Jim: "You know how much I love taking bribes!"

I don't know why. In retrospect, it was only slightly above average as a comment, but I guess his delivery or something made my laugh extra hard.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My favorite part was when Darrell called Microsoft helpline about getting the MS paperclip to assist him with his resume.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I enjoyed the episode but as it neither tied up loose ends or left on a dramatic cliffhanger, it kind of fizzled out as a damp squib.

If the series hasn't already, the writers must be rather careful not to jump the shark. I'd quite like Darryl to manager, as he's the most competent, but that would make a boring programme.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I disagree that this is the way to get people to maintain interest until next season. What it has done is made me sour on the series, that will then linger for a few months, putting the show at a disadvantage in terms of reaching a level that would make me go "I want to see what happens." In the meantime, I've got other shows like Archer, American Dad and Community knocking stuff out of the park on a weekly basis that are, in a sense, raising the bar even higher for what I expect from what was once my favorite show on TV.

Look at the end of Season 3, for instance. Jim comes back to date Pam, that was a great moment. And then in the tag Ryan actually gets the job. You get that "oh wow that was a nice twist, I really want to tune in in September!" that lets the good vibes fly out there, making everything happy, and birth rates go up exponentially, and I'm sorry I think I lost where this was going a line or two back....

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2011
    Last night's episode was fantastic, aside from the cliffhanger, which just sort of annoyed me. But whatever.

If the Tate rumors are true, it'll be unsurprising, but I think she's literally the worst possible choice of all the contenders from a show-quality standpoint. As was said, she seems like a bad Michael impression. Michael was the key ingredient in the show's success for seven years, and I can see how the producers would want to keep Michael intact by proxy via someone like Tate, but... It can't work. Only Steve Carrell can be Michael, and getting some other person in there trying to play him will just remind people of how great the show used to be.

Spader was clearly fantastic, and I would love to see him in there, just to see what they try and do with him. Romano was okay, Arnett was pretty good. Carrey might be funny, but I've never seen a Carrey character that I'd want to watch weekly, even if they work great in a 90 minute film.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Carrey might be funny, but I've never seen a Carrey character that I'd want to watch weekly, even if they work great in a 90 minute film.

Plus, he has to get back to the Finger Lakes.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spader is definately my favorite of the contenders as well, although I enjoyed Wil Arnett essentially being Wil Arnett.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QonasQonas Detroit, MIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really have no words for anybody who was expecting them to name a manager in this episode. It had been said in all the press and media stuff leading up to this, that there wouldn't be a revealed decision until the start of the new season. So you're basically disappointed by something that only you yourself was expecting, and then blaming the show for it. Dumb.

As for the candidates, I didn't hate or dislike Tate's performance at all. I'd much prefer her character to Romano's who, while he did a good job, I didn't laugh at. My preference list looks something like:

- DAVID BRENT
    - Dwight
    - Spader
    - Andy
    - Darryl
    - Arnett
    - Tate
    - Jim

Qonas on
    banner_default.jpg

There is not in all America a more dangerous trait than the deification of mere smartness unaccompanied by any sense of moral responsibility. - President Theodore Roosevelt
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They should pick Jim Carrey and do a storyline where he discovers that his entire life is being filmed for a TV show.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    They should pick Jim Carrey and do a storyline where he discovers that his entire life is being filmed for a TV show.

Or that vaccines don't actually lead to autism.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Or that vaccines don't actually lead to autism.

Oh snap

Just watched the finale again with my brother.
    I'm gonna miss Gabe. Shut up about the sun! SHUT UP ABOUT THE SUN!

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Huh.

Has Kathy Bates looked ill to anyone else the past couple times she's been on the show?

Back when they had her on when Sabre took over she looked like she always has. But now she looks really pale and not well at all. She was diagnosed with cancer back in '03 but was said to have made a complete recovery. I hope she's doing well.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Huh.

Has Kathy Bates looked ill to anyone else the past couple times she's been on the show?

Back when they had her on when Sabre took over she looked like she always has. But now she looks really pale and not well at all. She was diagnosed with cancer back in '03 but was said to have made a complete recovery. I hope she's doing well.

She looked great on Harry's Law, but I noticed that as well last week. I wonder when the last episodes of Harry's Law were filmed in relation to those later office episodes. Maybe they were just trying to distance her appearance from her other show, since they're on the same network.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hoped for a minute that Jordan was going to impersonate the clients for Creed, just so that she has something to do on the show.

When your most interesting part is relegated to a deleted scene in one episode, I think that says something about how much value you have as a character.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought she was just a throw away character...

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    Lostprophet8Lostprophet8 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't believe that jim carrey was only in the episode for 10 sec. He was in every preview and the promo for the office on Hulu was his face. All he did was talk about the damn fingerlakes. I can't really see him being a serious choice for the boss. Is it 100% confirmed that the new boss was in the last episode? I could see them pulling in someone from left field. Or Kathy Bates could just come in and say "you took too long to decide, so here's your new boss"

Lostprophet8 on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love the openings showing each new manager adjusting a different thing on their desk.

Also I thought Toby looked awful. And I actually liked Romano's character.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I liked romano's character in this episode but I don't know if I'd like him as a part of the main cast

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Am I the only one who thinks this show just needs to end?

It was a great show, hilarious for a long while, but now it just seems like they're running into the ground. I just don't really care for how they're doing this whole audition thing for the audience. If they don't have a clue what they should be doing with this show and instead are asking the audience who they think should be the lead, then the show just needs to be put out of it's misery.

Bones did the same shit with the "squinterns" A different intern with each episode in some weird way of taking a poll of who the audience likes the most. and it's just dumb in my opinion. Make a decision and run with it. If it tanks, make a change. Don't do this audition nonsense.

I really wish TV shows would end before they reach this level of desperation. They had a good run, but now it's time to end it and move on to something else. I'm just so tired of seeing shows start out great but the last few seasons are absolute shit because they weren't self aware enough to know that their time is done.

End on a high note.

And yeah, I hate Catherine Tate. I think it's purely because I can't understand half the things she says. I didn't hate her in Dr. Who. She definitely wasn't my favorite companion, but I didn't hate her. I could at least understand her though. I think every time I've seen her outside of Who, there is a communication breakdown somewhere and I simply don't understand what she's babbling about.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't believe that jim carrey was only in the episode for 10 sec. He was in every preview and the promo for the office on Hulu was his face. All he did was talk about the damn fingerlakes. I can't really see him being a serious choice for the boss. Is it 100% confirmed that the new boss was in the last episode? I could see them pulling in someone from left field. Or Kathy Bates could just come in and say "you took too long to decide, so here's your new boss"

I think Carrey's cameo was originally supposed to be a funny surprise, since you wouldn't expect such a menial role to go to the biggest guest star. It's like when South Park had George Clooney voice a dog.

But then the promos ruined the surprise.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I think Carrey's cameo was originally supposed to be a funny surprise, since you wouldn't expect such a menial role to go to the biggest guest star. It's like when South Park had George Clooney voice a dog.

But then the promos ruined the surprise.

I could definitely see this being the case. TV promos seem to have a habit of revealing things they shouldn't.

TubularLuggage on