As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Office thread: Shove it up your butt!

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm pulling for Will Arnett. Come onnnnn Will Arnett.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arnett's already landed a fall series, so he's out of the running.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's too bad, he would have been a great boss of Vance Refrigeration.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    JonBob wrote: »
    Arnett's already landed a fall series, so he's out of the running.

It's a misdirection. An epic misdirection.

A man can dream right?

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yea they really ruined it with Will Arnett considering they showed the promo for his new show during one of the commercial breaks while Office was on.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    what really sucks is that you know that show's gonna end up getting canceled

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I disagree that this is the way to get people to maintain interest until next season. What it has done is made me sour on the series, that will then linger for a few months, putting the show at a disadvantage in terms of reaching a level that would make me go "I want to see what happens." In the meantime, I've got other shows like Archer, American Dad and Community knocking stuff out of the park on a weekly basis that are, in a sense, raising the bar even higher for what I expect from what was once my favorite show on TV.

Look at the end of Season 3, for instance. Jim comes back to date Pam, that was a great moment. And then in the tag Ryan actually gets the job. You get that "oh wow that was a nice twist, I really want to tune in in September!" that lets the good vibes fly out there, making everything happy, and birth rates go up exponentially, and I'm sorry I think I lost where this was going a line or two back....

Exactly.

My thoughts on this season's finale aren't "oooh, I wonder who the next boss will be" they are "what a crummy way to end the season". They didn't leave me with suspense, they left me annoyed. The Season 3 example is perfect, as it ended on an optimistic note. This last season ended abruptly before anything could be settled. The farewell to Michael episode was a lot more finale-y.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah in my mind micheal's last episode was the finale and everything else has been an epilogue

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So uh, how about that Scranton strangler plot?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So uh, how about that Scranton strangler plot?

What do you need to strangle someone?

Finger(ling)s.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If it's connected to the Senator, then it makes sense that both would remain unresolved.

And having them dovetail into each other would help make Angela's wedding different from Jim/Pam's and Phyllis'.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You guys take your TV way too seriously.

I thought it was funny. The director really captured the chaos in the office when they're all talking.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I will say them all talking and the "OK lets vote" part were great.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I saw no previews for this week's episodes so the Jim Carrey thing was a nice surprise. Sucks for the rest of you. :P

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This show started its decline somewhere around the time that they started writing michael as an intentional jerk rather than an oblivious boss who inconvenienced people, but was ultimately redeemable. We got that michael back in his last episode though.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    gundam470 wrote: »
    I saw no previews for this week's episodes so the Jim Carrey thing was a nice surprise. Sucks for the rest of you. :P

I envy you, hehe. Hulu pretty much took the piss out of his cameo for me. It didn't completely ruin the entire episode, but it sort of stole the thunder from his scene.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I was in the same boat, so when he came on screen, I spent a good 30 seconds thinking "wait, is that really.... is that Jim Carrey?". Now knowing he was coming made the joke much better.

Finger lakes.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ryan is such a little twat

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yea I think they inadvertently
    interview the Strangler, Jim Carrey. That will be the first episode when they come back - "oh my god we could have all been killed" when they see it on the tv news.

useless4 on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    useless4 wrote: »
    Yea I think they inadvertently
    interview the Strangler, Jim Carrey. That will be the first episode when they come back - "oh my god we could have all been killed" when they see it on the tv news.

Ha, that would give new meaning to his line about people disappearing in the Finger Lakes.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    James Spader could get hired and then be revealed to be the strangler.

Stop strangling me.

Too late.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    heh, I like that idea

Am I strangling you? Or are you strangling yourself?

Joolander on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ryan is such a little twat

I have to admit, I love the way he started popping in and out of his closet office. Like he's Oscar the Grouch all of the sudden.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's not up to the strangler that a person gets strangled. It's up to the stranglee.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The thing that really sucks, is that unless they have a perfect lockdown on this, we'll know who the new boss is in what, July? Whenever it is that they start filming.

EDIT: According to Ausiello, they cut a scene that would have narrowed the field to 3...and Tate wasn't one the final 3. Make of that what you will.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    plufim wrote: »

I was in the same boat, so when he came on screen, I spent a good 30 seconds thinking "wait, is that really.... is that Jim Carrey?". Now knowing he was coming made the joke much better.

Finger lakes.

Ha, I managed to miss all the promos too. So that cameo was awesome. And it was definitely a "hey, is that......" moment. I'm lucky like that, same way I didn't realize Tropic Thunder had...
    Tom Cruise. And didn't recognize him until the end credits.
    Just in case anybody else on the planet might still be surprised by that. Which I doubt.

Oh, and fuck this show it made me miss Boston Legal, something which I didn't think was possible (since I started loathing that show right before it died). But man, James Spader. So awesome. The only way I think this show should continue, to be honest, is if they choose him...otherwise, they probably should just have ended it. Especially if they choose Tate, Romano, or anybody currently on the cast.

And yes, I'm like a month late. Fuck y'all. ;)

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There's been a pretty big development about The Office's next season that came out today (it's a pretty big potential spoiler, if you care hugely about The Office's plot):
    James Spader is in talks to join The Office, but he'd only be the manager for awhile before he replaces Kathy Bates as Sabre's CEO, apparently to then be replaced by whoever they decide on. Spader will continue to be a regular on the show as the CEO.

So...we still don't really who the new permanent boss is, but it'll be Spader for a little bit.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There's been a pretty big development about The Office's next season that came out today (it's a pretty big potential spoiler, if you care hugely about The Office's plot):
    James Spader is in talks to join The Office, but he'd only be the manager for awhile before he replaces Kathy Bates as Sabre's CEO, apparently to then be replaced by whoever they decide on. Spader will continue to be a regular on the show as the CEO.

So...we still don't really who the new permanent boss is, but it'll be Spader for a little bit.
    This was probably the only way they could keep me watching. Good deal, Office.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

The best replacement would be
    Michael Shanks.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

The best replacement would be
    Michael Shanks.
    Hahaha I totally want this now. He'd at least be better than Catherine Tate. :P

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    An update today confirms Captain Tragedy's spoiler, but with a bit of a different character trajectory.
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/update-james-spader-officially-joins-the-cast-of-t,58587/

Sounds like Spader will already be the new owner by the time of the season premiere, so he won't be the manager on the show at all, really.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That is a pretty nice twist. Time to update the title!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    YES.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't quite 100% agree with the title
    Spader is becoming the new CEO of Saber, replacing Bates. That still leaves the manager position open. We still don't know who's gonna fill that spot permanently.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It's close enough for the time being at least, until we get the sad news Catherine Tate is the boss. He's going to show up at least the first few episodes.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Right, right. And don't even say that, I would be so unhappy.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    It's close enough for the time being at least, until we get the sad news Catherine Tate is the boss. He's going to show up at least the first few episodes.
    That press release makes it sound like he won't be the boss in the few episodes; that will have already happened in the "between seasons" plot, and we'll be in the new status quo already at the premiere. Could have just been strange wording, though.

JonBob on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    To me it seems like he will show up via webcam or they'll interview him at his new office or something. At least more than Kathy Bates did just to emphasize how compelling he is, you have to have him interact with the characters in order to show he's a smooth criminal.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Haha, no way am I clicking those spoilers you jersks1!!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Pam let herself go again.

Stanley's new catchphrase is streets ahead.

TexiKen on