As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Office thread: Shove it up your butt!

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Fantastic cold open. Erin's planking assessment and Dwight's enforcement in particular.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    That comparison she made of Early Pam to Present Pam was apt

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    How did Kevin get in the winner's column?

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    It's because Robert California knew nothing about the staff and was making snap judgment calls; that's why Andy called him out on it. It was a pretty good episode, too.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    For anyone who didnt see this episode. You might want to find a friend that has it on DVR, go over to their house and then
    shove it up your butt!

616610-1.png
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    Someone talk about the new episode.

• Options
    Okay. I will.

Andy is so much easier to watch as manager than Michael ever was. He manages to get the same amount of ridiculous decisions and inappropriate comments in while not making me cringe. They even still have the sentimental "he's doing a good job after all" stuff. Michael Scott was easier to watch than David Brent; Andy Bernard is easier to watch than Michael Scott. This is a good trajectory for me, even if it's taking the show farther away from its initial concept.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I do think they need to steer clear of Andy kind of bumbling into stuff like Michael did, things where a regular person just doesn't have a drop in intelligence simply for the sake of the joke; early in the episode Andy wasn't being Andy but just being Michael-lite, with the ties and talking with Spader. It was a good A plot, the Pam and Angela stuff was kind of dumb though.

• Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    I really do prefer Andy to Michael Scott. I've always liked Andy as a character and Michael Scott really just irritated me. He started out fairly amusing and then his antics just kept getting too ridiculous. And James Spader is fantastic. I've missed him since Boston Legal ended.

Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    I did like the opening with Kevin and his idea of cutting off words make quicker. Good idea, bad office no like.

• Options
    WappaduWappadu Registered User regular
    I wasn't paying full attention last night and missed what happened with Darrell and the ex-wife. They went into his office, and that's the last I saw of her. Anything more on screen after that?

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I had fun with the episode. The entire office running like a well-oiled machine was enjoyable to watch and Kevin running two calculators at once about killed me.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I should have guessed Andy would get the manager job - stays with the theme of the manager having two first names.

Good episode, I'm impressed with how they've been able to keep the quality up without Carrell.

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    I liked this episode a little better than the premiere, it was nice to see Andy succeed some.

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote:
    Andy is so much easier to watch as manager than Michael ever was. He manages to get the same amount of ridiculous decisions and inappropriate comments in while not making me cringe.

The bold part is the reason I could never get into the show for more than small bits of an episode at a time. The Jim and Pam stuff, the Jim vs Dwight stuff, other co-workers quirkiness was always funny to me, but anything having to do with MS just made me facepalm and change the channel/close hulu.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    James Spader is fantastic in this role. I love him every moment he's on screen. He flirts every so slightly with being a little deranged, but then he lets out some brilliant speech that shows that he is a lot smarter and a lot more down to earth than he can appear. It's a really interesting dynamic and I'm enjoying watching him.

• Options
    My wife will probably love the new office. She always sort of enjoyed it but couldnt watch the awkward michael-ness. So far the first two episodes have been solid funny without much awkwardness.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i'm gonna miss jo and her big dogs
    i wonder what gabe's deal is now

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Gabe got sent off once Joan realized he had issues with Andy because of the whole Erin thing.

• Options
    Sent off? He's hanging out in the background still. Andy explicitly called him out when he was going through the list with Robert, too.

• Options
    Gabe? Really? I honestly do not remember.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Yeah I was wondering why he was still there. Figured Robert brought him back from Florida or something.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Everyone always makes a big deal about the cringeyness of some of Michael's adventures, but I have never really felt it got to an unwatchable point. The UK version was full of awkward moments where I was genuinely embarrassed for the characters but the closest I got was when Andy tore his scrote (and that was really just the same feeling you get when some jerk mentions nails on a chalkboard).

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    The only unwatchable thing Michael did for me was Scott's Tots. Just because he had so many years to back out on that, and it ended with laptop batteries.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Gabe said he spends two days in Scranton, then two days in Florida, every week. So pretty much all his time is spent shuttling back and forth between the offices, and never actually getting any work done.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    That was a pretty good episode, the idea for moving paper at the end was a bit too slapstick but everything else was pretty strong. This season is almost season five strong, and I'll be glad to admit I was wrong with where I thought the series would end up. I really do like Oscar not acting completely offended when someone asks him general gay things, like the most muscular guy in town.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    And I loved his creepy leering through the blinds during the interview process.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I really hate Andy and I don't like seeing him as the manager, but all three episodes so far he has miraculously stepped up in the final few minutes and done the correct, proper responsible thing for a manager to do. Which makes me like him more.

But he has to re-learn that lesson every week. And I'm getting tired of that formula, how much time we're spending with him, and the lack of any real significant spader action in the last two episodes.

I'm really on the fence right now. I may only be watching because like everyone else on the internet I have a TV crush on Ellie Kemper

• Options
    Eh, Andy is fine because he openly admits hes in a bit over his head and is learning/asking for help. His stumbles so far have pretty much always been the result of someone else.

First it was everyone insisting he bring the list to Mr. California. Even though he knew it was a bad idea.

Second week it was Mr. California demanding they double their growth even though thats not very realistic.

This week is was Darryl not doing his job right because he was bummed about stuff.

Andy hasnt really had to learn any lesson any week. He has really just had to overcome other people'es problems and it takes an episode to do so.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    why was Andy the smart one in this episode?

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Wait, they were worried about a dog being trapped even though the sun roof was open?

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote:
    why was Andy the smart one in this episode?

He went to Cornell.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Erin was great this episode, and it was enjoyable to watch Andy deal with stuff.

Last episode I thought he didn't real cope very well, Pam and the staff just saved him at the end - which was very sweet.

I am sad though that James Spader hasn't had more direct interviews with the "documentary" crew.

• Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    Darryl talking about tacos is the best thing

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Sooo, this show is pretty much unwatchable now.

When Dwight is by far the best part of the show, it's time to move on.

• Options
    Jim was a dick, Pam was a bitch. Spader getting in lines to basically punch holes in the dialogue of the characters is a nice touch, but this was one of the more out there episodes that come about in shows, like when Charles in Charge hit his head and became Chaz, his evil persona.

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't call last night's episode completely awful, though it had plenty of awful parts. It is probably the worst episode of the entire series for me though.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    So has the show now "officially" jumped the shark?
    Jim actually writing an entire book, getting it published, and Dwight conveniently buying it, just so Jim can trickington Dwight?
    The entire office for some reason still being complete jerks to Andy after he did the whole tattoo thing,
    Darrel discounting Andy after Andy helping him out last episode.
    Dwights cousin for some unexplained reason parking Tobey's car in a field in a completely different spot than everyone else's.

It feels like they have run out of ideas, or at least good ones.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Whaaat? I thought the episode, while strange, really wasn't that bad. Also, @TexiKen, they already did something like that. Season 2's 'The Concussion,' where Dwight gets a concussion and turns nice.
    What I assumed Jim did; 'write' the book, which seemed relatively thin and full of stupid shit, then talk to Dwight about a book he heard of one time for throwing garden parties, which Dwight then looked up. It's not that far-fetched. Jim didn't even have to get the book published. Just write it, and get Dwight to check it out on the internet.

And no one discounted Andy; he threw a big party, everyone could tell why, and everyone was nice to him when it turns out his dad was a jackass. I didn't think anyone was a jerk to him, either.

I liked it :(

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Whaaat? I thought the episode, while strange, really wasn't that bad. Also, @TexiKen, they already did something like that. Season 2's 'The Concussion,' where Dwight gets a concussion and turns nice.
    What I assumed Jim did; 'write' the book, which seemed relatively thin and full of stupid shit, then talk to Dwight about a book he heard of one time for throwing garden parties, which Dwight then looked up. It's not that far-fetched. Jim didn't even have to get the book published. Just write it, and get Dwight to check it out on the internet.

And no one discounted Andy; he threw a big party, everyone could tell why, and everyone was nice to him when it turns out his dad was a jackass. I didn't think anyone was a jerk to him, either.

I liked it :(

Book
    It was a fairly well put together book. The whole point of "messing with Dwight" made no sense when ultimately all it does is ruin a party Andy was trying to throw. I mean at this point its gone slightly sociopathic the levels Jim will go to, to mess with Dwight.

Andy
    Everyone ignores the fact that Andy is the boss. Oscar basically says it at the table. They then make sure to point out that California is the boss. Finally the whole Andy?dad singing scene everyone conveniently overlooks how awkward the moment is, and are happily smiling as Andy is pushed out of singing and his brother is brought up instead of him. As usual with the show they only are "nice" when it comes in hindsight that they have been jerks.