As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metro 2033

• Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Because who wants to play a game in russian?

tofu on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You know, I think a game like this would feel weird not having silly russian accents. And that trailer made me a lot more excited, so much so that I had to dig this thread up to post it if it hadn't already been posted

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    tofu wrote: »

I'm a firm believer in making the original language track w/subtitles available in video games as well as in films.

But the voice acting in the trailer didn't seem bad to me, and the game looks great.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey, I didn't realize we had a thread for this. I am completely psyched for it.

I'm a firm believer in making the original language track w/subtitles available in video games as well as in films.

But the voice acting in the trailer didn't seem bad to me, and the game looks great.
    The voicing acting wasn't bad, but still. It has Steve Blum. I like that guy, but this is the second game in which I've heard him do a terrible Russian accent. He needs to not do that, if only because the only sensible reaction to it is "Hey, that's Steve Blum! He's not Russian!"

Monger on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So the English version of the book is finally out, and I'm a few chapters in. The translation is kinda awkward, but it's pretty rad so far.

Man, you can feel the STALKER influence everywhere - he must be a big fan of Roadside Picnic/the film, 'cause this book actually has dudes in it referred to as stalkers, who don armour and gasmasks and go to the surface with radiation meters in order to find loot and other weird shit.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Everything will seem normal until you hear your first Stalker say "HAAAAAY BROOOOOO"

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I actually saw a commercial on ESPN with my brother. Finding out its not STALKER 3...4? saddens me, but still, it should be a blast.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My friend wrote a preview for this game. He is really, really excited for it.

http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=18474

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It sounds very russian. Which is why it'll probably hit bargain bins relatively quickly, and even though I'll feel bad about it, I'll probably wait until then to pick it up. Especially since it is one of those games that can be registered in steam

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Russia is cool
    This game is set in Russia
    This game is cool

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Russia is cool
    This joke is terrible.

And I approve of it for precisely that reason.

Monger on
  • Options
    geestackgeestack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How well does the 360 version stand up? I want to play this, but my PC is nowhere near the recommended system specs, so 360 is the only way to go.

geestack on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    It's not even out yet, gees.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't think we've really seen anything from the 360 version, TBH.

All the media so far has clearly been from the PC; and all the latest stuff with the DX11 stuff is PC.

The dev's have said that the PC version will be far and away superior graphically to the 360 version, but I'm sure they'll be completely identical in gameplay.

I'd prefer it on the PC to be honest; but I'm going to wait for (hopefully) some sort of demo first because I don't think it's using any standard engine that I could just compare other games performance to, and I'm worried it'll be a graphics hog like STALKER was.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

All the media so far has clearly been from the PC; and all the latest stuff with the DX11 stuff is PC.

The dev's have said that the PC version will be far and away superior graphically to the 360 version, but I'm sure they'll be completely identical in gameplay.

I'd prefer it on the PC to be honest; but I'm going to wait for (hopefully) some sort of demo first because I don't think it's using any standard engine that I could just compare other games performance to, and I'm worried it'll be a graphics hog like STALKER was.

There are three gameplay demos from the 360 version up on Gametrailers. It looks surprisingly really nice.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh, I was unaware. I should go check it out.

EDIT: Hrm, which ones? I don't see any labeled 360. Are they the new Black Station walkthroughs?

EDIT EDIT: I'm guessing that the "Press A to continue" indicates yes, 360. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Nice, going to check them out now.

Honestly, the PC system specs seem pretty insane, so I don't mind taking a hit graphically if it means I can actually play the game

geestack on
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I was quite impressed by that three-part video on GameTrailers. Nice shadows and effects but the framerate is smooth. The gunplay looks nice as well.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah looks sexy. Though I suck at doing stealth stuff like that (why i never bothered to pick up Riddick); so I'll probably go the guns blazing route.

EDIT: fuck why is this coming out a week after FFXIII ><

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The steam page has posted the Optimum Requirements (for best performance)

Optimum Requirements:

Processor: Core i7 CPU
    Memory: 8GB RAM or higher
    Graphics: NVIDIA DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and 470)
    DirectX®: DirectX 11

Recommended:

Processor: Any Quad Core or 3.0+ GHz Dual Core CPU
    Memory: 2GB RAM
    Graphics: DirectX 10 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 260 and above)
    DirectX®: DirectX 10 or higher

Minimum:

Processor: Dual core CPU (any Core 2 Duo or better)
    Memory: 1GB RAM
    Graphics: DirectX 9, Shader Model 3 compliant graphics cards (GeForce 8800, GeForce GT220 and above)
    DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c

Minimum Required for 3D Vision:

Metro 2033 utilizes NVIDIA 3D Vision with compatible cards and hardware. To play Metro 2033 in 3D you will require:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 and above recommended
    A 120Hz (or above) monitor
    NVIDIA 3D Vision kit Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7

__

Overall, it looks like the game will scale fairly well. If it doesn't turn out to be a blockbuster, it will still make a great ,if quirky*, game to buy on a budget in a year or two's time.

*ex stalker devs made this as most know.

stigweard on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I feel good, I'm somewhere between reccomended and optimum.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

D:

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've got 6g so >.>...

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Preordered with Steam's little "Get Red Faction: Guerrilla with it free" deal. Almost worth the money already, incidentally.

I'll be perfectly happy if it's an otherwise by-the-numbers FPS with a Russian coat of paint, but I'm getting a really good impression from what I've heard so far. I'm not sure I can explain why, but for some reason the thought of having to use bullets as currency is really interesting to me. In any case, if it's half as atmospheric as any of the Stalker games, it will still be the most atmospheric title since Stalker.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Amazon's got this listed for $49.99 right now for 360

geestack on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

D:

Well, that's just optimum. Being an early DX11 game, I expect Metro 2033 to be a lot like early DX10 games, where they run like complete and utter crap as soon as you turn on DX11 and they run fine otherwise.

If it looks as good as it does on the 360, I can't imagine it scales to middling hardware completely horribly.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It looks like they took whatever what's the most expensive hardware at this time and just put it as an "optimum" list. I mean, 8GB of RAM, really? Yeeeeah....

If you have a rig like that, then no shit it's gonna be the most optimum way to play your games.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh man, I originally preordered the game in part because of the free RFG, but that walkthrough was pretty great. Pneumatic snipers are badass.

I'd like it if there was an option for Russian voices, buuuut...

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh man, I originally preordered the game in part because of the free RFG, but that walkthrough was pretty great. Pneumatic snipers are badass.

I'd like it if there was an option for Russian voices, buuuut...

Actually there is an option for that, I believe

geestack on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pancake wrote: »

There are three gameplay demos from the 360 version up on Gametrailers. It looks surprisingly really nice.

I read an interview in which the developers described the work that they've done for the 360 version. They've actually done quite a bit to get it running well. Each sound that your footsteps make is literally streamed off of the disk as you make them, but you can't tell!

Here is one on the not-technical aspects as well, while I'm here.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This game totally slid in under my radar. I just noticed it when a few trailers popped up on gametrailers recently. I got a good STALKER vibe from it as well, though it looks more polished and focused. Gave me something of a Doom 3 vibe as well for some reason.

Still looks totally fucking rad, unless it turns out to be awful it's getting bought for sure.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't know anything about this game until I read about it just now in this month's Game Informer

This sounds fucking awesome, I may pick it up review-dependent

Shame that it releases the same day as God of War III D:

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Antithesis wrote: »
    I read an interview in which the developers described the work that they've done for the 360 version. They've actually done quite a bit to get it running well. Each sound that your footsteps make is literally streamed off of the disk as you make them, but you can't tell!

Anyone else really surprised at the amount of detail they volunteer about how their engine works?

The PC screens look amazing, if they get the 360 version to even look like the same game, it'll be a huge technical accomplishment.

Got my preorder, Fearing the Future but eagerly awaiting 16 March.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So good!

You know, despite the complaints that the game isn't open ended, I don't really think that's a bad thing. Besides, it's been a long time since I played a good, scripted FPS.
    Preloaded it on my laptop but I'm really going to have to wait until I'm home again to play for reals; just too pretty. HNNNG

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If it gets positive reviews here I might buy it

because that latest trailer with the 28 days later music certainly made it look fucking awesome

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man that song is so great.

Also game looks awesome, can't wait for tommorow. Hope the atmosphere is as good as I think it will be.

edit: it is tommorow right? Steam says tommorow for EU but wiki says the 18th.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Unlocks in 8 hours for me.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wow, that trailer is unbelievable. After enjoying the epic nature of the heavily-scripted MW2 campaign, I'm REALLY looking forward to this. I don't assume anyone will complain that it's linear - it's delivering a certain experience, crafted by the developer and working with established source material, and I'm okay with that. If I want something open-ended, I'll go play an RPG. This has really come out of nowhere - I hope that it sells, and I hope that it gets solid reviews.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't even know this was out this week. I went and checked some of the new trailers and stuff, and holy shit. Am I right at thinking this is a cross between Stalker and FEAR?

-Loki- on