As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Reel Film

scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Social Entropy++
Corny, I know.

When my father died, he left a basement full of odds and ends. Roughly half of the odds were books, and about half of the ends were old 16mm films. Sure, I'd grown up watching some of these movies on the projector, but for the most part I saw them on Turner Classic Movies or on VHS and then DVD as time progressed. Sadly, I was about a year or so too young to take my father's film class, let alone appreciate it.

Well, nostalgia wraps its nasty clutches around us all, so when I accidentally drank too much dry cough syrup for this stupid cold, I got it into my mind that I should unearth these things. It might be because I was walking on the goddamn moon at the time I took this photo, but I still think it's funny as hell that a projector would use its own unique method of film storage for its power cord:

38616343.jpg

Projectionists are unbelievable.
Anyway, I moved on, and found this amazing antique projector from the days when men were men and women didn't go to real universities:

38617439.jpg

I love art deco. I think it should make a huge come back, honestly.
But the best part is that the most up-to-date reel projector we own, thanks to my late father, is actually a projector that belonged to my old high school. My guess is he nabbed it when they moved to VHS. He used this projector at the occasional Sons of the Desert meeting where my father and his friends would get together and watch old Laurel and Hardy movies, so now I'm using it to remember him.

38620093.jpg

After a half an hour or so of fiddling with my mechanical intuition and aptitude, I got the projector working and grabbed the nearest reel to test. She works!
So now I have some working projectors, a white-washed wall of the house, and a basement full of 16mm film reels. Scarlet Blvd. and I have decided that we are going to watch one of these old films a week (or day, depending on how hooked we get).

The first is... (drum roll, faggots)
Mutiny_bounty_19.jpg

Directed by Frank Lloyd and starring Charles Laughton and Clark motherfucking Gable.

It doesn't get much better than this. These are reel films, and this is the golden age of cinema. Get your movie on, people of SE++.

I decree it to be Classic Film Appreciation... Time... Yeah whatever, talk about bullshit new movies if you want, but all the cool kids are gonna be talkin' about Cary Grant and Lon Chaney, Jr. Nicholas Cage ain't got shit on the 40s.

And blvd. and I will be back every week (or day) with a new Reel Film to talk about. I think it'll help keep us on track. On track to win.

japsig.jpg
scarlet st. on

• slowslow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    shit just got reel

slow on
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've been watching a bunch of Westerns from the 30's, and alls I've got to say is Randolph Scott is a bitch.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Reel Big Fish

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The projector is so loud and I think we have to check out how one of the reels is attached to the spindle (I guess you could call it that). The film slides across the siding and makes some extra noise, maybe that's just how it's supposed to be, maybe not, we'll have to look into it.

I'm still so fucking impressed with how they managed to add sound to these things

scarlet blvd. on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm still so fucking impressed with how they managed to add sound to these things
    oh, you hired a pianist?

Faricazy on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bunch of tiny people in an orchestra all in a box that lights up

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There's only three of you, right?

Or was there a fourth?

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That sounds like a grand old time.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That is pretty fucking cool dude.

Blake T on
    edited October 2009
    And if worse comes to worse you can always bash in an intruder's head with the damn thing.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rad photos, Sam.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I will only visit if you have a copy of Sunset Boulevard.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited October 2009
    There's only three of you, right?

Or was there a fourth?

Three of us, but Ave. married a girl so I guess she's like a sister.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited October 2009
    I will only visit if you have a copy of Sunset Boulevard.

I have this on DVD, but I will let you know if I come across a reel of it.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Koshian wrote: »
    scarlet fever
    That's AIDS.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited October 2009
    scarlet fever
    That's AIDS.

What is it when all three of us fuck something to death

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    slow wrote: »
    shit just got reel

boooo

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited October 2009
    scarlet fever
    That's AIDS.

What is it when all three of us fuck something to death
    Christmas.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh damn, awesome.

Nothing is better than good ol projected film.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SEVEN SAMURAI

So fucking good. I couldn't believe how good this movie was and how so much of it holds up. Kambei Shimada bitches!!!

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have a little 8mm film camera I got from Savers. I don't know if it works because I haven't gotten batteries and film for it.

uberneko on
    edited October 2009
    I have a Keystone film camera that Don Draper uses, but there aren't any places that will develop it for under like $60 and I have no idea if the film is even worth developing.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    God damn I want to watch projected 16mm classics.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hope we get to an age where projected film becomes like vinyl records.

All the hipsters only buying film reels and laughing derisively at the poor fools who only watch DVDs and Blu-Rays

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited October 2009
    I'm gonna put blankets up over the windows and watch movies while blvd. is away at school. Poor bastard.

Also goddamn this cough medicine is making me woozy

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Staxeon wrote: »
    SEVEN SAMURAI

So fucking good. I couldn't believe how good this movie was and how so much of it holds up. Kambei Shimada bitches!!!

God yess!

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sounds boring.

ascot on
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Staxeon wrote: »
    SEVEN SAMURAI

God yess!

hi5!

My favorite part:
    How Kambei tests the candidates by having someone wait inside the doorway with a stick raised to strike.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
    edited October 2009
    I've saved all of my old film papers and theses, but I'm terrified of reading them. I don't think I can handle remembering how fucking dumb I was as a freshman/sophomore.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited October 2009
    These things happen. I had this experience with some of my older comics recently.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited October 2009
    Penguin, shall we dance into that night

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited October 2009
    You can. I'll get popcorn.

And, it bares pointing out that, yes, Seven Samurai is the greatest goddamn film ever made.

It's perfect. It's completely perfect in every aspect.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited October 2009
    I wonder if it would be worth it to bring a projector and films with me to Europe for my classes. I mean, they're high school kids, so they kind of get it.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited October 2009
    I guess it's cheaper and economical to go the dvd route, but fuck if projectors aren't cool.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Well, yeah.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited October 2009
    I just want to spread the love. Something tells me the US government doesn't give a shit, though. I'd have to pay for everything myself if I wanted to bring the reels and projector with me :(

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of reels, how does one go about joining a group of restorationists? Those people who go around visiting private libraries seeking out hidden and unknown clips of film from vast European libraries and restoring them to TCM-quality film reel?

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Should have chosen the corps where you get grenades.

I mean, you'd still have to ship the thing over on your own dime, but at least then you'd have grenades.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited October 2009
    This is my rifle, this is my gun.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Reels of film are fucking heavy

okay fuck bringing this to Europe.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg