Options

[Asheron's Call] Nov. 2, 1999 -- Jan. 31, 2017

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular

edit: 7 small shards in 3 hours of grinding is not acceptable. this game really needs a fragment-infested dungeon or something.

Have you tried the 2nd to last floor at the bottom of Caul? Its a floor that consists of only small shard dropping frags.

You mean this place? Which area, specifically?

This one:
    http://acpedia.org/wiki/Caulnalain_Vestibule_Quest

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Ding 183.

26.1b XP.

Not much today... but I am DI flagged now. DI hunting is fun!

Oh, and I have my first blank aug gem, but need another billion XP to get the + to Melee gem.

I tried to do the SoLL upgrade, but those 220 lizardmen are... really hard. They cast war 8s and I do almost no damage. At least with the Atlan. I have a OD +1 420 Frost UA that I'm going to try and get Cold Rending on in a day or two, that might help.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Errr, no, sorry. I mean the Caulnalain, the one you need a key from a Shadow Lieutenant from. Quest details here http://ac.wikkii.net/wiki/Caulnalain_Vestibule_Quest

You will know you are in the right place when its all fragments, which is one jump past the Caulnalain Crystal.

*edit* hmm im late on responce, but either AC wiki page will serve. I sure do wonder why theres 3 of em.

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Thanks guys, I'll try this out later tonight.

edit: Glorious. The fragments only drop Tiny Shards (half of a Small Shard), but the drops/hr is wayyyy better than hunting stuff that drops Small Shards. Also, level 60 fragments are weak enough that I can stay here without having to rebuff. Had to murder like 30 Shadow Lieutenants before one coughed up the key, but it was worth it.

edit 2: annnnd I have completed my task. Got enough crystal bits to make 13 more scint gems in about 5 hours of grinding.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    Ding 184
    27b XP.

17:18:33 Congratulations! You have succeeded in acquiring the Master of the Steel Circle augmentation.
    17:18:33 Daija has acquired the Master of the Steel Circle augmentation!

One more night of work then 2 days off. Questing like mad once that happens.

• Options
    So I'm somewhere in the 189 range now. Mostly hanging out in EO while enjoying my weekend.

30.9b XP.

I've gotten my 3 schools up to 275 base, which has really helped with the tapers. I've also started raising MagicD because seriously, fuck nearly invulnerable lizardmen slinging Rank 8 War spells and Vulns at me. Holy christ.

Once I get 16 more pieces of salvaged Aquamarine I'm going to try and get one of these two weapons I have tinked up with Cold Rending, which I need for said lizardmen. If I can start handling those kinds of fights then I'll be able to dive into several quests I haven't felt comfortable trying yet - SoLL Upgrade and Society Initiation, for example.

So my goals for the weekend are:

Gear Shield - a "hybrid" Shield/Aegis. It has great stats, but also reduces magic damage by 10%. My current shield is the Imbued Shield of the Simulcara, so it's probably way past time for an update. (Although honestly, the ISotS has 820 AL to all elements, so... Maybe an upgrade isn't needed?)
    Armor of Darkness - Probably the best quest armor in the game, it's the same quest as the Gear Shield, but you can only get one piece a day. Alternately, I hear the Upgraded Relic Armor is equally good.
    Society Initiation - Have to do it. There's no way around it.
    Tracking Grael - It's for the 140+ Royal Runed Weapon, although the Heavy ones aren't that great. There's a bludge and a pierce that are ok, but the slash dagger... has pierce rending on it. Dur?
    Enhanced Sword of Lost Light - While the ESoLL is good, the Olthoibane Sword of Lost Light is my real goal. Would be nice to replace this Paradox Olthoi Staff. Will need some bits from "Olthoi North" apparently, though, to buy the ingredients?

I have enough skillpoints to take lockpicking right now, might do that just to be able to do these quests solo. I wonder if the untraining skills quest is still on a 2 week timer?

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    I have enough skillpoints to take lockpicking right now, might do that just to be able to do these quests solo. I wonder if the untraining skills quest is still on a 2 week timer?

I think it depends on how many times you've done it before. IIRC the first 3 untrainings can be done at any time.

• Options
    Holy fuck, Sclavus Acolytes of T'thuun are complete and utter bullshit. I have maxxed out Strength, Coord, Heavy, Quick, and MeleeD. I can't dodge them for shit, they hit me for double digits quite frequently, and I hit them back for SINGLE DIGITS. With a max 430 weapon tinked for Cold Rending. Armor rending, maybe I hit them for 15 or so? I donno if there's a trick or something (it's only the ones with shields that are a problem) but ugh.

Got my infusion then died to war spam. Bonus: The Empowered SoLL isn't all that good compared to the gear you need to be able to get down there. And now I have to do it again in a few days, both to get my bodies and to try and get the Olthoibane infusion. Blarg.

• Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    You've made it a lot farther than I have on previous attempts. I hit some similar walls around 160 with my two-hander toon where the the shear level of level 7 vulns and wars raging around me just made me go, "nope, fuck this bullshit". That you can get 2 shot makes life interesting, but it was always a bad mechanic in any game. Especially AC2.

• Options
    You've made it a lot farther than I have on previous attempts. I hit some similar walls around 160 with my two-hander toon where the the shear level of level 7 vulns and wars raging around me just made me go, "nope, fuck this bullshit". That you can get 2 shot makes life interesting, but it was always a bad mechanic in any game. Especially AC2.

The last time I returned, back right after ToD's launch, I made a blueberry Macer. I returned with him I presume sometime after 2012 when the weapon changes went live, cause I remember a discussion about Light vs Heavy vs Finesse - he was Light and we generally decided that was ok.

Anyway, during that bout I managed to hit up Withereds and get into the low 100s on that character. But Withereds is soul crushingly boring, and after a while I tried to move on to the next zone... Upper Fiuns. Which is all war mages. That pretty much killed my interest in AC that time.

This time I went with spec MagicD and holy god, it makes such a huge difference. It's not even funny. I couldn't play without pumping it, which I think is why it's a free trained skill.

• Options
    Can either of you guys tell me if Enhanced Blackfire Shadow Armor is attuned? Because I can wear it at 115, but the quest to get the stone is 150+, so I'd need to find somebody else to stone the armor for me.

• Options
    Can either of you guys tell me if Enhanced Blackfire Shadow Armor is attuned? Because I can wear it at 115, but the quest to get the stone is 150+, so I'd need to find somebody else to stone the armor for me.

It's not. I've had people offer to stone my old armor.

• Options

It's not. I've had people offer to stone my old armor.

Awesome. I assume the Prismatic Glyph is the same way, too? The wiki doesn't even show the glyph itself as being attuned.

In other news, I finally hit 100. I can now use the Blackfire stone I got recently to upgrade my Shadow Armor, and I'll be upgrading my Atlan weapons when I get the 6 points I need in HW to hit 370.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Ding 197. 37.5b XP.

EO EO EO EO EO EO EO EO EO EO EO. God, this is soul crushing. I've hit the point where it's 5+ hours per level. I need to move on past EO but given how many people in my fellowships are upwards of 270, I fear there's simply NOT any better XP/H than EO.

I took lockpicking, got it up to 400 buffed. I'll get rid of it after I've done some of these quests. Healer's Heart is first, for the recall, then Armor of Darkness / Gear Shield, I think. I did get my society joined (that was a pain in the ass) as well as Tracking Grael (easy). Tracking Grael was bullshit, as I really wanted a Red Runed Silveran weapon with Slashing, and my options are Bludgeoning, Piercing, or... Triple Strike Piercing. Damnit.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Ding 199. 39.6 billion XP. (There was a book drop late last night after I posted.)

500m away from 200 but I kinda want to get to bed at a decent hour today.

EO EO EO. Got a 20% meleeD orb, tinked it 6 times with +1% MeleeD. That, combined with Defender 8 (+17%) makes me pretty damn safe in Melee.

I maxxed out Focus. Self is next, my last major attribute to max out. Once that's done... MagicD maybe? It's close.

I need to make a list of all the quests I can do now that I have lockpick and rush through them.

Edit: A quick starting list:
    Healer's Heart
    Focusing Stone Quest
    	Skull of High Acolyte Quest
    Heart of Innocence (Weeping Weapon, for those damned snakes)
    Elemental Weeping Weapon (cold, for the snakes)
    Armor of Darkness
    Gear Knight Parts
    	Nurino in Xarabydun flag
    	Lord Rytheran's Journal (Tier8)
    		Danira the Dusty in Zaikhal
    		Jester Focuses (Tier8)
    			Jester's Lost Marbles (Tier8)
    			Disturbance in the Ley Lines (Group required?)
    				Zho Heishan or Lacarra Avanthi in Wai Jhou
    	Collegium Occultus Ring
    		Olcris, Nuhmudira's Student in Stonehold -> Knorr (M Note)
    		Book / Mead / Kite Shield (Collect beforehand?)
    		Broken Occultus Seal -> Roderick in Mite Maze -> Knorr again

Oh, and Caul Recall... and Lethe Recall.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Ding 200! 40b XP!

I'm almost 1/4th the way to the level cap! (Kill me)

Got my Aug gem and picked up a stipend, bought the level 8 life magics. Can't use them really, though. I don't know what Aug I want, maybe +5 Endurance? Or maybe more pack space would be nice. Or maybe the +10 to all magics?

• Options
    Ding 204!

45.1 billion XP!

I got the Augmentation that gives +10 to all spell schools, and then got them all up to 300 base. I managed to burn through the Healer's Heart quest before downtime, going to burn through the Focusing stone and some others afterwards.

I finally managed to finish my ninja armor. It's nice but I still plan on replacing it with Armor of Darkness and later a Society Armor set. Longest term, two legendary sets (5/4). But that's months away.

I don't have an XP goal right now, with everything at 300 like that. I might max out MagicD or Arcane Lore next. Someday, Health and Stamina...

• Options
    edited May 2014
    The wiki seems to indicate that there's a vendor in the black markets that sells 500m xp gems for 100mmd. Is this still the case, and can those gems be traded? Seems like a bargain.

Edit: Level 120 GET. Finally got Mana Conversion, and it feels so good.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    208. 49.5 billion XP.

Maxxed out Magic Defense, at 293 base. 350 self buffed. Alore... just hit cap, at 275 base.

All primary stats maxxed. Working on secondary stats... next, maybe? Or get my 3 schools up to max, that'll cost ~9 billion XP.

Edit: Holy cow. Armor of Darkness quest is insane. I can't take on those Thugs / Thug Bosses solo, not yet anyway. Think I'll have to look into some other shield for the time being.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Ugh. I can't take the direlands gear knights. They don't take any damage, even from acid rending weapons, and counter with vuln and war 8s for over 200 damage a pop. Maybe armor rending + acid? Maybe start casting imp and vuln?

Today's plan: Aug gem that reduces the number of death items I need. Can take it 3 times, and after 3 times you no longer need DIs, ever. You woint even leave a corpse unless you drop always drop on death rares on the ground.

Better, the rare weapons and armor are no longer drop on death, so if you have those augs you can use them without ever having to worry about losing them!

KiTA on
  • Options
    210. 51.7b XP.

15:26:29 Rohula bint Ludun gives you Clutch of the Miser.
    15:26:32 Congratulations! You have succeeded in acquiring the Clutch of the Miser augmentation.
    15:26:32 Daija has acquired the Clutch of the Miser augmentation!

Going for 2 more over the next two weeks. Once you get all 3 Clutches of the Miser augmentations, you no longer drop anything not "dropped on death" (i.e., rares) -- and they changed it so the Rare weapons and armor... just have a really high value. So with all 3 CotM, you can use them without worrying about losing them. Oh, and they evolve like... LoTRO? rares do? So yeah. A nice rare heavy would make life very interesting.

• Options
    210. 51.7b XP.

15:26:29 Rohula bint Ludun gives you Clutch of the Miser.
    15:26:32 Congratulations! You have succeeded in acquiring the Clutch of the Miser augmentation.
    15:26:32 Daija has acquired the Clutch of the Miser augmentation!

Going for 2 more over the next two weeks. Once you get all 3 Clutches of the Miser augmentations, you no longer drop anything not "dropped on death" (i.e., rares) -- and they changed it so the Rare weapons and armor... just have a really high value. So with all 3 CotM, you can use them without worrying about losing them. Oh, and they evolve like... LoTRO? rares do? So yeah. A nice rare heavy would make life very interesting.

My strategy for not dropping items has been, thus far, to not die.

It's not quite working out as planned.

• Options
    I had that idea, too. Then things started hitting me for over 200 damage a shot, when my theoretical absolute max HP is going to be something like 350 or so. (In about 4 months when I can get the 10 augs to raise Endurance by 5 each it'll be like 380...)

Recovering a body with 12+ items while getting hit with that kind of crap is really hard.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    My first three augs were the no-drop augs.

Back when augs were on a month timer.

I vaguely remember climbing up a hill, both ways.

• Options
    Ding 214.

56.6 billion XP.

Maxxed out HP at 296 max. 348 self buffed. Stamina is at 425 and still has a few billion to go.

Finally starting to prune out my inventory of random crap, mostly due to having absolutely no pack space, ever.

I also started keeping iron, brass, and granite salvage, in preparation of tinkering up one of these TIer 8 weapons I pulled from a legendary chest. They're not perfect, but if they're at least a little bit better than what I have now, I can start breaking through to Tier 8 content. Maybe.

• Options
    Perhaps you need an Aug to get more pack space...

• Options
    Perhaps you need an Aug to get more pack space...

Yeah. There is the extra bag, as well as the 3 remove-foci ones. Eachw ould give me 24 more pack slots.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Ding 220, amost 219. 62 billion XP.

I capped Healing late last night and almost capped Stamina. Two more points (so, ~3-4 hours) and I'll be good to go.

I need about 9 billion XP to finish capping the 3 schools of magic, then ~3.5 billion to cap ManaC, and I'm... pretty close to done, outside of augs. Mana has like 3.9 billion XP to cap, but I don't use magic enough to really need to worry about it... Lockpick needs a few billion (but I'm dropping it once I am done questing)... Then someday I need to get both Sneak Attack and Deception up (at 225 I will have the SP to do 1 spec 1 trained).

I really, really need to unlock Lum stuff. And I really need to get around to upgrading my gear to the point that I can break into Tier 8 content.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Ding 224. 70.7b XP. I'll hit 225 before going to bed tonight, I think, and might unlock 225 aetheria next.

15:43:37 Rohula bint Ludun gives you Clutch of the Miser.
    15:43:40 Congratulations! You have succeeded in acquiring the Clutch of the Miser augmentation.
    15:43:40 Daija has acquired the Clutch of the Miser augmentation!

I capped out Life magic and almost Item (again, will do so before I crash tonight), as well as unlocked Luminance. I also started tinking up a pretty good 420 wield fire UA to try and break into higher level content.

I really don't know how to get past the EO plateau here. I have the full set of EO Ninja armor, a good batch of epics on my jewelry and clothing, but places like Tou Tou or Graveyard are still eluding me due to the amounts of damage they put out. I'm clearly missing some gear, as I can't progress any further with just XP - my melee relevant stats and attribs are maxxed out. My current plan is to tink up some decent 420 wield items (5 Iron, 4 Granite, 1 Rending) and see if that helps me break through.

What weapon do I need to take out say, Dreadlands Gear Knights with shields? My rather basic acid render just doesn't cut it, and then they turn around and hit me for 200+ damage a shot War8 + Vuln8s. I hear weeping weapons are shield hollow, and are what you need to take out those Sclavus Acolytes with... maybe I need multiple elemental weepings for these things?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    You use an aegis, hollow proof armor, and either acid rend or CB. You also start farming nullification gems and not be afraid to jam one.

Go get a stack of salt and ash pages, too.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Hm, yeah, they could be hitting me with hollow stuff, couldn't they? I turned on all the Epic (i.e., Tier 7) armor profiles in Lootsnob, we'll see if it finds anything decent to use. I've seen quite a bit of Olthoi armor drop but it's only picked up a few due to multi-epics.

And I do have the Raven Aegis, but having no AL kinda kills it for me. I might run out and get the Shield of Isin Dule, it doesn't seem like it's a horrifically hard quest to do and it's not horribad. The Gear Shield is better, but the quest to get it is timed and I am having a heck of a time doing it.

Heck, I'm still using the old Shield of the Simulacra, which I was using when I quit ... in 2002. :P

In other news, we're trying to explain to a newbie named Adolph Kritler why his name is offensive and why he just single handedly ruined his account for play (thanks to account wide ignore). Although a quick google suggests he's a troll that goes around to MMORPGs and MOBAs with that name, just to see people get mad at him.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    You don't need SL on the Aegis. It's just to absorb spells damage. You carry two shield (or three if you're weird like me). One Aegis (doesn't matter which), one normal buffable shield (usually you want one that self buffs) for quests and dumb stuff like that, and if you're weird... One hollow shield. I got to a point with my Cov suit that I only ever used the Aegis, because the only threat to me was magic.

Since Gearknights mostly get you with magic, and their melee attacks are infrequent and not a serious threat, you stack up hollow armor since it has the highest raw AL possible (Cov/Olthoi/whatever else they might have added). That way when they poke you, you don't need the SL from the shield. The abnormally high AL will lower the damage from "MY FACE IS MELTING!" to "Hey, quit it!"

Plus you'll block their war spells and reduce that damage to a tickle.

Oh, and this might not be applicable to your build, but I found that the best way to kill GK's was with an acid rending bandit hilted Yaoji. One attack was all it took.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Yeah, when I hit them with my acid rending spear, they take... oh... 10-20 damage? They have 800 HP, so they do die, but it takes a long while. Of course, my acid rending spear is only tinked for acid rending, it doesn't have any iron or granite added.

• Options
    What's a good AL to target for a given piece of Cov/Olthoi armor for a Hollow set?

• Options
    Boy, I just don't remember the details that well. Let's say you want 2300 to 2400 resistance after self buff. So probably top 100 of possible drop, then tinker up the resists to be fairly even, drop the rest in AL.

• Options
    Ding 227.

75b XP, with a book drop in a few minutes worth .5b.

Capped Creature Enchantment, and took Sneak Attack for the time being. The only things I don't have capped now:

Shield (Currently 600 buffed)
    Jump
    Lockpick
    Loyalty
    ManaC
    Run
    Salvaging
    Sneak Attack
    Mana

I really need to rush through some lockpick required quests so I can get rid of it - once I do, I'll spec Sneak and Train deception, which will cap me out until 275 or the 2 Lum skillpoints, whichever comes first. It feels weird realizing that I'm pretty much done with this character's advancement outside of gear grind and XP grinding so that I can say I have him at 275 - I mean, Shield past 400 someodd isn't really urgent (400 or some odd supposedly caps the Aegis reduction at 10/25%), and Mana/ManaC... meh? 8 billion XP to cap Sneak and Lockpick (Deception) and I'm done.

It might be time to start work on an alt, but I hate to do that, as Alt-itis killed my old AC streaks back in the day.
    Boy, I just don't remember the details that well. Let's say you want 2300 to 2400 resistance after self buff. So probably top 100 of possible drop, then tinker up the resists to be fairly even, drop the rest in AL.

Well, Cov/Olthoi can't be tinked for AL, just for resists to specific damage. And 2400 per slot, that's pretty insane. I thought the cap was 1080 or somehting? So 1080 for the armor, then ~440 or so for the underclothing... hm. I'll need to figure this one out I suppose.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    1080 is most certainly not the cap. I have personally seen a 2410 buffed AL on a piece of cov. You can AL+imp+bane. So anything with 1100 plus after buff, would be aces.

Maybe they mean 1080 is the capped base AL? On like, a non hollow armor. Most people don't know shit about cov.

Max AL is like 508 or something. On olthoi/cov. 450 is common.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    So... 450 base AL, with Imp to spice it up (So ~670 buffed), then tinker out any under par resists? Bonus if it has eoics or banes? That's about what I should have vtank looking for?

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I played AC for about a year when it first came out. Loved the huge, open ended world. Exploring, finding random dungeons in the middle of nowhere, etc...

I've never seen a thread that made me want to come back to this game less though. It sounds so hellishly unfun at the higher levels that I can't even believe it.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    So... 450 base AL, with Imp to spice it up (So ~670 buffed), then tinker out any under par resists? Bonus if it has eoics or banes? That's about what I should have vtank looking for?

I'm not sure how you'd get 2k+, even with max stats. The wiki seems to indicate that base modifiers and banes only stack up to 2.0, so the highest you'd get would be (508+240)x2 = 1496.

edit: forgot Major Impenetrability, which would stack and raise the theoretical maximum to 1616.

edit2: @Esh, give it a try. Actually, read the lore sections on the wiki and then give it a try. The game world has expanded significantly, in terms of lore, since you played. Knowing a bit about the history behind a character or location makes the killing/looting/pillaging of those things more meaningful!

Fartacus_the_Mighty on