Options

[Fallout 3] Wubba harrrrglb? JAMBAAGLR

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So what is a fun way to go through Fallout 3 beginning to end?

Before ME2 swept me away, I'd been playing FO3 and had gotten my dude to like levle 23 or something. Hadn't even completed the main story, but I noticed that the game had started to get a little stale because at that level, sneaking had become godly and I could basically creep right up next to people and gut them without them having a clue I was ever there.

High Int was important back in vanilla FO3, but it seems as though, with the new levels, that I was going to end up with every skill I wanted and then some maxxed out long before I reached level cap.

So what's a good, fun build to take through the game? I was thinking maybe melee and heavy weapons, or something... basically a guy who can't just creep around and count on the element of surprise to get him through every battle.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fallout: New Vegas early details:
    * There is an optional hardcore mode, the character needs to drink water, ammo has weight, healing isn't instant etc. Normal mode is more similar to Fallout 3 gameplay.
    * The storyline is focused on the New California Republic vs. Caesar's Legion vs. New Vegas residents.
    * You are not a vault dweller but are given a Pip-Boy by someone who is one.
    * There is a screenshot of a vault suit as well.
    * There is an assault rifle looking like the M4, as well as a new big gun with a backpack, held like a minigun.
    * There are special moves for melee weapons in VATS - specifically a move for a golf club called "Fore" which seems to be a groin shot.
    * The Hoover Dam is in the game and is supplying electricity to the city.
    * There is a quest to rescue a ghoul from some super mutants. The ghoul can then become your companion
    * The Geckos are back.
    * There are both dumb and intelligent super mutants, including the elite Nightkin.
    * Some super mutants look similar to the ones in Fallout 3, while others are new. There is e.g. a female super mutant with a 1950s hairstyle who apparently is one of their leaders.
    * Screenshots include a guy with a beard and straw hat, a ghoul an NCR Ranger
    * The only picture of New Vegas itself is concept art and not a screenshot
    * Some location screenshots include a huge model dinosaur advertising a hotel, some satellite dishes, an array of solar panels
    * A character generation shot showing a "vigour machine" instead of the skill book
    * NCR base is the McCarran Airport, Caesar's Legion is based in the Vegas Strip, while super mutants are based in a place called Black Mountain. There is also a town called Fremont and another called Primm. A topless reuve is mentioned as being in the latter. Area 51 also appears.
    * NCR Ranger armor is similar to a brown combat armor with sleeves, there are concept arts of a Ranger
    * Skils have a bigger effect on conversation choices. E.g. someone with a high Explosives skill may be able to have a coversation about explosives where appropriate.
    * There is a Reputation system in adition to Karma.

In addition:

- First-person action RPG with the same engine as Fallout 3 (sorry, Van Buren fans).
    - Set in the Mojave wastelands. Vegas didn't get many nukes. More intact buildings, as well as desert vegetation. Vegas itself is mostly intact.
    - You don't play a Vault Dweller (or descendant of one) but a courier, left for dead and saved by a friendly robot.
    - The overarching story is a struggle between the locals, Caesar's Legion (a faction of slavers from the east) and the New Californian Republic. Vegas itself is mostly intact.
    - Both karma and reputation are tracked. If I'm reading it right there's separate reputations for each of the settlements, as in 1 and 2.
    - All dialogue options are shown to all players, regardless of whether you have the stats to succeed or not, though there's no punishment for failure.
    - Bartering is not just lower prices but negotiating for better rewards.
    - VATS returns, and melee weapons have special moves in it. The golf club has "Fore!", which is a shot to the golf balls (so to speak) that knocks the opponent down. Weapons also now have knock-back upon death, with shotguns sending mans flying.
    - Super Mutants return, but in two varieties - the smarter ones from Fallout 1, and the idiot ones from Fallout 2. On at least one occasion you can convince them to fight amongst themselves.
    - New weapons include what appears to be an M4 and a grenade machinegun.
    - Followers can be managed through a context-sensitive menu, with orders like "follow", "stay" or "attack".
    - Hardcore Mode! In this mode, Stimpacks heal over time (as opposed to instantly), combat is tougher, ammo has weight and you can suffer dehydration, so keep some water on you!

One of the screenshots has a Super Mutant with a blonde wig and pink heart-shaped glasses.

More:

You're a courier, wounded and left for dead in a shallow grave. A friendly robot, Victor, digs you out, and his doctor owner Mitchell patches you up. You take a "vigour test", which is some sort of electric parlour game. This decides who you are and sets up SPECIAL. You can also take some Rorschach tests, but the mag says this is for fun. The Doc then gives you a Pipboy as he was once a Vault dweller.

"Hoover Dam", and "Helios" (a solar plant, confirmed by the mag to have been built by Poseidon) are fought into and then you can direct the power to wherever you choose. In the case of Helios you can also keep the plant for your self use the energy to call down a powerful laser, or even try to distribute to all equally, however there is a risk of overloading the reactors.

There is a "reputation system", in which all three factions (NCR, Ceasar's Legion and the locals) will either see you as good or bad toward them individually.

There is a screenshot of three Capital Wasteland mutants running toward the player, who is wielding what *looks* to be a heavy incinerator, but has a TV screen and no flamer fuel tanks. He's also wearing NCR combat armour, which is in gold/mustard colours.

There are two separate screens of supermutants that look to be more local, grey skin, and the two are wearing very different clothes. One is Tabitha, who is hearing a blonde wig and love heart glasses. The mag implies she's "not all there".

One that quest, you rescue Raul, a ghoul who Tabitha kept alive to fix her favourite robot. He appears to be a follower, as the mag says you can give him items, and also commands, such as "stay, follow or attack", and also tell him to switch to melee, in which case he'll mutter "sure, I'll put away my rather effective gun, and switch to this piece of um, metal tubing here".

From what I read, the "all dialog" thing seems to imply there will be failures for skill checks as well as speech checks, though, as the mag states, there is no penalty for failing a skill check. In fact, the mag gives an example: A woman who the player tried a Sneak skill attempt on in conversation failed when convincing her an ambush would help the town be rid of a gang of raiders. She simply says ""Good luck with your, uh, ambush"

Source: http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23694

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I'm about to start a new game of Fallout 2. What are the recommended mods?

No patches, no mods.

Well, you could play with those, or you could be a man.

I was a man when I got Fallout 2 in 1998. Now, in my twilight years, I like to dress the old girl up.
    While the Gamebryo engine, which is what both F3 and NV use, has it's limits and downfalls (texture filtering is quite poor, for example), it's pretty solid overall. Plus, the advantages of keeping the engine as close to F3 as possible are huge. It will allow ease of transition for modders due to familiarity, which means quicker content, and probably a lot of launch-day content, taking into account that some mods will probably be able to be ported from F3 with minimal fuss.

It allows Obsidian/Bethesda to get the mod tools out to the community near instantaneously, because the current G.E.C.K. modding suite will probably only need a minor patch to accommodate any changes made in NV. Plus it will likely allow a degree of cross-platform development, with some mods working in both F3 and NV, thus extending the life of the former.

Honestly, if NV just ends up working, engine-wise, like a giant F3 expansion, with Obsidian's level design, writing, gameplay tweaks, etc, then I couldn't be happier.

Have they confirmed that NV will even have modding tools?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Why would we want a new engine? FO3's work perfectly fine.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Yeah, who cares if its clunky and chuggy and buggy. it works fine.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Yeah, who cares if its clunky and chuggy and buggy. it works fine.

I don't mind the FO3 engine, assuming it gets cleaned up a bit for the new version.

I'd mainly just like some better animations. Oh, and to have the guy who did them last time beheaded, with his head put on a pike as a warning to whomever they hire next that he'd better not fuck up.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm halfway through Fallout Tactics, and I've got to say it's a pity that the developers didn't take more care about staying consistent with canon. It's aged very well, and the story is really very compelling. Continuous Turn Based combat can lead to some silly abuse, but overall it's pretty damn fun.

Aside from the goof about the Brotherhood coming from a vault, (which technically was a bunker) deathclaw hair and Vault Zero (which is easily explained as the place all the corporate bastards decided was to be an *actual* shelter), there's nothing really that bad as far as canon goes. It's been blown way out of proportion over the years, Fallout 3 actually changed more.

Tactics does get a mention in Fallout 3 however, it mentions the Brotherhood is active in the Chicago area.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm halfway through Fallout Tactics, and I've got to say it's a pity that the developers didn't take more care about staying consistent with canon. It's aged very well, and the story is really very compelling. Continuous Turn Based combat can lead to some silly abuse, but overall it's pretty damn fun.

Aside from the goof about the Brotherhood coming from a vault, (which technically was a bunker) deathclaw hair and Vault Zero (which is easily explained as the place all the corporate bastards decided was to be an *actual* shelter), there's nothing really that bad as far as canon goes. It's been blown way out of proportion over the years, Fallout 3 actually changed more.

Tactics does get a mention in Fallout 3 however, it mentions the Brotherhood is active in the Chicago area.

Officially Tactics isnt canon, however anything that does not/is not contradicted in the other Fallou games can be considered semi-canon

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've been playing through the game again as a melee/heavy weapons guy. Who is evil. Which is nice because I skip parts of the game I don't want to replay by killing people. What's that Moriarty? You want 300 caps? MAN OPENED

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've been playing through the game again as a melee/heavy weapons guy. Who is evil. Which is nice because I skip parts of the game I don't want to replay by killing people. What's that Moriarty? You want 300 caps? MAN OPENED

I get so tempted to play this game as evil, I don't know what it is about the wasteland that does it to me. The first time I had this game for the 360, I started out as a good guy but ended up shelving him for an evil playthrough, whcih is the only one I ever finished.

Since buying the GOTY edition for the PC, the char I started is a Wasteland Jesus practically, but I'm now thinking of following my previous path and starting over as a real mean fucker. One who doesn't sneak around, but mows mans down with heavy weapons fire and big, flaming swords.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Isn't wasteland jesus one of the karma ranks?

Anyway I found playing evil to be less entertaining than I had previously thought.

Granted I stopped at 20 instead of finishing (mainly because I had just finished an 80 hour complete playthrough prior), but after killing yet another town and stealing all their shit it was just...eh.

Blowing Megaton was cool; and there are definitely high points of playing an evil character, it just didn't feel very satisfying to me.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I enjoyed it the most as a mostly neutral guy with a heart of gold and a hell of a mean streak if provoked.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Have they confirmed that NV will even have modding tools?

It's using the Fallout 3 engine, there's no reason why it won't. But apparently it appears I'm the only one who wants Obsidian to use it. Seriously, no one else wants to see a crazy F3/NV multiple campaign hybrid?

Also, as far as playing through good/evil goes, I always thought that specifically doing one or the other would be quite boring. I just picked whichever choices seemed more fun in the game. Did anyone else do that? I did blow up Megaton, but I also did the good ending for Broken Steel, and some other stuff. Kinda playing by the seat of my pants. I honestly never thought to purposely try to be one or the other.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    august on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    That fallout engine is starting to look very dated.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    august wrote: »

It looks like Fallout 3 DLC...

Urian on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Game set in the same universe and using the same engine as its prequel looks similar to the prequel. No shit.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That fallout engine is starting to look very dated.

wrong

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Urian wrote: »

Why do people keep saying that it looks like DLC or a mod?

What the hell did Fallout 2 look like, a brand new game? Is everyone unfamiliar with the idea of a game that looks like the game that came before it? Or has nobody ever played Terror From the Deep, TIE Fighter, Gears of War 2, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate II, KOTOR 2, Crysis: Warhead, and so on?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    You're right, I apologize.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My heart kind of sank when I saw those pictures.

looks like fallout 3

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    slessmanslessman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I really like Fallout 3 on the XBOX 360. Is it just as good on the PC do you think? I know that the game itself is massive and will probably require a lot of my pc's attention, but if you think it is a good game I may consider picking it up. You know, in case I need a break from Ryzom every once and awhile.

slessman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

What the hell did Fallout 2 look like, a brand new game? Is everyone unfamiliar with the idea of a game that looks like the game that came before it? Or has nobody ever played Terror From the Deep, TIE Fighter, Gears of War 2, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate II, KOTOR 2, Crysis: Warhead, and so on?

Isometric fallou was a different story.

it didnt rely on graphics as a story medium, it relied on text and depth.

Depth which is lost when you see things like Moira.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Isometric fallou was a different story.

it didnt rely on graphics as a story medium, it relied on text and depth.

Depth which is lost when you see things like Moira.

To be fair, it is NMA. They are petty, bitter people who will rage and complain about anything until they are blue in the face. If the graphics had been overhauled to be super up-to-date and optimized to be able to run on 10 year old computer at max settings, they'd bitch at how the devs are clearly spending too much time on graphics and are obviously ignoring the story because they just don't understand the spirit of Fallout and what made it so great before they got their greasy evil hands on it, goddamnit! That's just how they are.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm surprised people are surprised it looks like FO3.

Even despite using the same engine I'm sure Bethesda wants to make sure there is visual consistancy in the "new" FO universe they've made with FO3. The whole world is a post-nuclear wasteland, and Vegas is in the desert to boot.

Looks pretty much how I expected.

I'm interested ot see actual shots of Vegas itself though.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited February 2010
    You'd think people would be more grateful for Bethesda even trying to ressurect a dead series that only the hardcore RPGers cared about and making it a mainstream sucess, but that relies too much on the goodness inside every person.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You'd think people would be more grateful for Bethesda even trying to ressurect a dead series
    Yes.
    mainstream sucess.
    Who cares?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You'd think people would be more grateful for Bethesda even trying to ressurect a dead series that only the hardcore RPGers cared about and making it a mainstream sucess, but that relies too much on the goodness inside every person.

Yeah, but the hardcore nutjob fans were shocked, SHOCKED when Bethesda failed to bend to their will and cater to their every single demand on how the game should be. They see the game devs refusal to lick their boot heels as a betrayal of both the fans and the series. And instead of doing something sane and rational, like move on with their lives, they've chosen to portion off a large section of their brain and devote it completely to the gibbering, irrational and implacable hatred of everything Bethesda does with the series.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mainstream sucess isn't everything, but I think Bethesda does have a right to contribute legitmate additions to the Fallout canon since they saved the series from Interplay's fuckups with the lisence.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's been what, 2-3 years? I wish people would just get over the fact that some people don't completely agree with every single design decision Bethesda makes. The counter-backlash is just as bad, if not worse.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    slessman wrote: »
    I really like Fallout 3 on the XBOX 360. Is it just as good on the PC do you think? I know that the game itself is massive and will probably require a lot of my pc's attention, but if you think it is a good game I may consider picking it up. You know, in case I need a break from Ryzom every once and awhile.

It's a thousand times better on the PC.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So I just accidentally killed Tenpenny with a rock-it launcher for funsies and I forgot to save beforehand

Now I have to decide between letting the ghouls murder everyone inside the tower or killing Roy and his buddies

anyone know what changes game-wise if I let the ghouls in the tower?

aside from, you know, the whole ripped to shreds thing

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I ended up killing Roy. I had intended to hear him out and most likely let them in, but he was such an asshole that I shot him in the face.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I ended up killing Roy. I had intended to hear him out and most likely let them in, but he was such an asshole that I shot him in the face.

The end result of that mission is way worse and you did a good thing.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    sooo

uh

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I forgot how shitty the Character creator is in Fallout 3 and how bad it chugs when you're talking to people. Is there anything to fix this?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Proven MortalProven Mortal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I just accidentally killed Tenpenny with a rock-it launcher for funsies and I forgot to save beforehand

Now I have to decide between letting the ghouls murder everyone inside the tower or killing Roy and his buddies

anyone know what changes game-wise if I let the ghouls in the tower?

aside from, you know, the whole ripped to shreds thing

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Tenpenny_Tower_%28quest%29

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    widowson wrote: »
    Fallout: New Vegas early details:

* Some super mutants look similar to the ones in Fallout 3, while others are new. There is e.g. a female super mutant with a 1950s hairstyle who apparently is one of their leaders.

Source: http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23694

Guys. Guys.

Super mutant with a beehive haircut and librarian glasses.

Wait a minute..

highway.jpg

Atheraal on