Options

[Fallout 3] Wubba harrrrglb? JAMBAAGLR

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I use fast travel a lot inf Fallout 3. GEtting around DC is a pain because of all the rubble.

Speaking of rubble, how do I get to the marker to begin Operation Anchorage? The marker is a metro entrance that is completely buried by rubble.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    sinkysinky __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I use fast travel a lot too. Sometimes you can't get easy ways out of your mind. lol

sinky on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Navigating DC would have been an unbearable pain in the ass without fast travel. If they are going to have any locations structured like DC in New Vegas, with all the tunnels and crap, and do away with fast travel then they better make it so routes underground correlate logically with routes above ground.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I guess those things were irritating, but in a post apocalyptic wasteland, the underground tunnels aren't going to collapse in a logical fashion correlating with main thoroughfares above them.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Even in a post apocalyptic wasteland, if you enter a tunnel and travel south you should not emerge from the tunnel north of where you started. This happened several times in FO3.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm kind of doubtful we'll have the metro tunnels in NV like we did in FO3. They'd be really out of place in 50s-esque Vegas (or hell, even Vegas today) and, unlike Downtown DC, New Vegas is a thriving city that never even got hit during the Great War.

I wouldn't be surprised if they carve up the zones somehow but I really, really doubt we'll be tunnel hopping around the city, and that's probably the biggest settlement they're going to be working with.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Indeed a subway system in New Vegas would be very much out of place, but that doesn't mean there won't be other annoying obstacles between different areas.

As long as it's not too annoying I'll be just fine without fast travel. For instance, in FO3 I don't mind a lack of fast travel at all outside of DC, which is completely inaccessible other than by the subway tunnels that, as mentioned above, don't even make sense geographically (as in, they don't match the actual distance you would otherwise have travelled above ground, nor even the direction in many cases).

I would very much prefer some sort've caravan system though, to get across large swaths of land, to major settlements and the like.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I imagine it's an option in the difficulty menu. He says in the interview you can turn hardcore mode on and off during the game I think, so it sounds like it's another adjustable difficulty setting. You can activate it, but if you get 20 hours in and find it too hard you can turn it off again.

This is the 100% sensible approach to difficulty options.

You can turn hardcore mode off, but NOT on. Finishing the game in hardcore mode means you were in hardcore mode the entire time, and has a special bonus.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    smof wrote: »
    Even in a post apocalyptic wasteland, if you enter a tunnel and travel south you should not emerge from the tunnel north of where you started. This happened several times in FO3.

Seriously. I would have NO problem wandering the wasteland if it wasn't for the subway tunnels. I fucking hated that the map system didn't tell you how to navigate those tunnels. Like "Oh, hey, I need to go north and I'm going north in the tunnel, so this door should lead more north" and guess what? I'm EAST in the rangers hideout. o_O

I love wandering the wasteland outside of the city and do it constantly, but the city...god. I fast travel to the first location outside of it (bethesda, for example) and continue on.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Indeed a subway system in New Vegas would be very much out of place, but that doesn't mean there won't be other annoying obstacles between different areas.

As long as it's not too annoying I'll be just fine without fast travel. For instance, in FO3 I don't mind a lack of fast travel at all outside of DC, which is completely inaccessible other than by the subway tunnels that, as mentioned above, don't even make sense geographically (as in, they don't match the actual distance you would otherwise have travelled above ground, nor even the direction in many cases).

I would very much prefer some sort've caravan system though, to get across large swaths of land, to major settlements and the like.
    Yeah, I think a caravan system would be the best compromise. I won't mind if I have to go on foot to some cave out in the middle of nowhere, but it would be annoying if I had to walk clear across the map every single time I wanted to put something in my locker or buy some ammo.

Duffel on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »

Seriously. I would have NO problem wandering the wasteland if it wasn't for the subway tunnels. I fucking hated that the map system didn't tell you how to navigate those tunnels. Like "Oh, hey, I need to go north and I'm going north in the tunnel, so this door should lead more north" and guess what? I'm EAST in the rangers hideout. o_O

I love wandering the wasteland outside of the city and do it constantly, but the city...god. I fast travel to the first location outside of it (bethesda, for example) and continue on.

if you followed the markers it would lead you through the tunnel system on both maps just fine, this is true for both quest markers and custom placed ones.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    mwoody wrote: »
    I imagine it's an option in the difficulty menu. He says in the interview you can turn hardcore mode on and off during the game I think, so it sounds like it's another adjustable difficulty setting. You can activate it, but if you get 20 hours in and find it too hard you can turn it off again.

You can turn hardcore mode off, but NOT on. Finishing the game in hardcore mode means you were in hardcore mode the entire time, and has a special bonus.

Where'd you see that? Everything I've understood about it is that Hardcore mode flips on and off like a switch, the bonus/achievement is from never turning it off from start to finish.

I also guess I'm the only one that cringes at the thought of not having fast travel. When I want to go to Megaton, I want to go to Megaton. When I want to go to The Citadel, I want to go to The Citadel. I'm not interested in the journey after having already marked that place and cleared the path. Nor am I interested in leaving behind all the great loot I've found because moving at a snails pace because of encumbrance is mind numbing.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Do you have a source?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Do you have a source?

he sounds like some 12 year old muppet just making shit up, doesnt he?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Do you have a source?

If by "special bonus" he means "Achievement" I reckon he's got a 99% chance of being right, source or not.

august on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Speculation can be really annoying. I look forward to more media. Kotaku said they would have more stuff next week.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    I also guess I'm the only one that cringes at the thought of not having fast travel. When I want to go to Megaton, I want to go to Megaton. When I want to go to The Citadel, I want to go to The Citadel. I'm not interested in the journey after having already marked that place and cleared the path. Nor am I interested in leaving behind all the great loot I've found because moving at a snails pace because of encumbrance is mind numbing.

Trust me, you're not the only one. The lack either fast travel or vehicles would bump this game from a "must buy" to a "maybe, but not likely" purchase.

These days I'm lucky if I get an hour a night for videogamey goodness...I certainly don't want to waste half of that hiking my way back across the wasteland just to drop off my latest load of invaluable junk at my base. Games are made to be fun, not work. I know damn well I'm not going to be able to quit picking up every piece of weapon or armor I run in to. So what if I have 8 hunting rifles already, I might NEED that 9th one.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    all this fallout talk is making me want to reinstall it and do an evil run that i've never been able to finish

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Trust me, you're not the only one. The lack either fast travel or vehicles would bump this game from a "must buy" to a "maybe, but not likely" purchase.

These days I'm lucky if I get an hour a night for videogamey goodness...I certainly don't want to waste half of that hiking my way back across the wasteland just to drop off my latest load of invaluable junk at my base. Games are made to be fun, not work. I know damn well I'm not going to be able to quit picking up every piece of weapon or armor I run in to. So what if I have 8 hunting rifles already, I might NEED that 9th one.

Ah, a fellow hoarder! I've given up picking up the useless items like bent tin cans. Crafting items, though? Aid, armour and weapons? I pick up every single piece I find, including items that are related to repeat quests like Sugar Bombs or Teddy Bears. This necessitates many back-and-forths as it is, I'm simply too indecisive to simply leave a valuable item behind.

Disabling fast travel as a part of Hardcore mode is a reasonable idea, though. I'd even try it out myself, once I've played far enough into the game to be comfortable with my stash. I assume NV will be pretty flat, and without rubble, I imagine traversing the Wasteland won't be such a pain. Its not like I don't want to traverse it, its just that I want to keep my sweet, sweet loot, too.

Anyways, current Fallout stuff... My current character is now half between 29 and 30. Almost there. All skills except Barter, Explosives, Energy Weapons and Big Guns at 100. Energy Weapons will hit 100 once I get the bobble, BG will hit 100 because I'll exploit the respawning raider (not really cheating since I don't actually use BGs, I only use melee/rifles, I just like having it maxed) and Explosives'll be maxed when I hit 30.

You'd think my character would be some sort of death machine, but ghouls have become the bane of my existence. Reavers, at least. At this level almost every ghoul is a Reaver. Its horrifying. I don't tend to use to Ghoul Mask, since I'll attack them anyways, for the loot and xp, so anytime I'm around ghouls its hellish. Plasma-radiation-crippling projecticles, fire-explosion-ring-things and hits harder than a Deathclaw. Reavers are absolute monsters.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The only way I've found to decisively deal with the crazy Broken Steel enemies is using the Metal Blaster or Paulson's Revolver, cranking my luck up to 10, getting all critical-hit related perks and staying out of VATS. You get extremely reliable critical hits that way, and those weapons (among others) have a crazy shotgun effect outside of VATS where every beam/shotgun pellet gets a separate critical hit. At close range you can be a killing machine.

Throw in the Chinese Stealth Armor if you don't mind sneaking around. I also find it's extremely satisfying to use the Gauss Rifle to take things out from 200 yards away before they ever even know I'm there, but you're not going to one-shot anything but relatively weak enemies.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Right now I carry Lincoln's Repeater for distance and sneak shots. I'm always crouched and always sneaking. I've got all the good perks the game has to offer, from Ninja to Gunslinger to Mister Sandman, so my crits are pretty nasty. Fully pumped weapon skills, as well.

With Ledoux's Mask, I can get something like 6 or more shots off in VATS using the Lincoln, almost all will crit and a constant 95% chance to hit the head, first hit is always a sneak crit. After two rounds of VATS, I can down just about anything. Getting the second round up is the fun part, though. :P

Thats why I carry my shiskabob and Xaunlong, though. Too close to to waste .44 ammo, pull out the Xaunlong, too close to waste 5.56 ammo, whip out the shish and kabob them.

I'm itching for a reason to bring the Dart Gun along, though. I love that little thing, but its only use is for crippling large enemies.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah Reavers are about the worst thing in the game by the end. Albino radscorpions are pretty annoying too, but they're not as deadly they just take ages to kill.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Okay, so total n00b to the game here. I got it for Christmas 2 years ago, and now I finally have a computer capable of running it (I'm running Windows 7 on an i7 860 with a Radeon 5850 and rather more RAM than I know what to do with).

The game runs normally. However, when I try to patch it to 1.7, once it completes and starts to run, I get the error message:
    The ordinal 5360 could not be located in the dynamic link library xlive.dll.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    ZegunaZeguna Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've just discovered how awesome living in Vault 112 is.

Zeguna on
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Do you have a source?

'Dunno what the fuck your problem is, but my source is the Joystiq preview I already linked a couple pages back:

Actually, before setting out, you have one last decision to make: to play in Hardcore mode or not. In this mode, you have to keep track of your food and water, pay attention to the weight of items (including ammunition), so you don't get overloaded, and make time for regular visits to a doctor, because stimpacks will not fully heal you. Hardcore mode can be disabled at any time, but it can't be switched back on. If you complete the entire game in Hardcore mode, you'll receive some sort of "special reward."

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Okay, so total n00b to the game here. I got it for Christmas 2 years ago, and now I finally have a computer capable of running it (I'm running Windows 7 on an i7 860 with a Radeon 5850 and rather more RAM than I know what to do with).

The game runs normally. However, when I try to patch it to 1.7, once it completes and starts to run, I get the error message:

I think you need to either create a windows live account or, hey, not deal with that Goosery of having to create an account just to update a game and just find the FMM that replaces it (you'll lose achievements I heard).

Ah here it is
    "If it is Xlive and you are using Fallout Mod Manager there is a setting under "Install Tweaker" that will set up a fake xlive.dll in your game and you won't have to worry about Microsoft."

Then just patch it like I did. I had the same problem and I have A BURNING HATRED that they never actually tell you what they want.

Spanish Inquisition on
    AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Which is, funny enough, in direct contradiction to information previously posted:
    Hardcore Mode can be enabled or disabled at any point in the game but there will, of course, be an achievement for playing the game the entire way through in Hardcore.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/7505-First-Look-at-Fallout-New-Vegas.2

I suppose we'll all have to wait. It'd be pretty stupid of them to make hardcore mode not like difficulty itself, something adjustable in-game.

Edit: Oh, and I hit level 30. Damn right I'm the Messiah!

Klash on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OMG WHO IS RIGHT AND WHO IS WRONG!!?!?! WILL BATMAN STOP THE PENGUIN FROM STEALING THE JADE FALCON?

Edit: In short this doesn't matter because the only correct way is to have hardcore on.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i'll play fallout new vegas without hardcore mode on the first time to explore the game and get a feel for the new setting and enjoy some classic fallouts.

then i'll replay with hardcore mode

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    i'll play fallout new vegas without hardcore mode on the first time to explore the game and get a feel for the new setting and enjoy some classic fallouts.

then i'll replay with hardcore mode

I will do something similar, but I'll play through the first time more or less going straight through the main quest and the more central sidequests that way I save most of the exploration and roleplaying for my second hardcore run. I'm not as concerned with completing everything right away as I am with milking the setting for all the fun and immersion I can.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'll probably do two simultaneous play-throughs. One on normal, probably as a selfless, idealistic hero, and another in hardcore mode as some kind of neutral-leaning wasteland Buddha.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    OMG WHO IS RIGHT AND WHO IS WRONG!!?!?! WILL BATMAN STOP THE PENGUIN FROM STEALING THE JADE FALCON?

Edit: In short this doesn't matter because the only correct way is to have hardcore on.

Pffft. Look, we all know Batman will win. Your cliffhanger lacks suspense! What are you, a member of the Bethesda story team?

One of you guys should know this, but I've got a Dogmeat question. Right now I have him staying at my Megaton house. Thing is, certain parts of the game cause him to just... appear. He just showed up in the Taft Tunnels for no reason during Waters of Life. This happened on my last play through as well, after Vault 87. If I tell him to go to 101, will this still happen? Also, what are the odds he just gets himself killed while waiting at 101?

Klash on
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Pffft. Look, we all know Batman will win. Your cliffhanger lacks suspense! What are you, a member of the Bethesda story team?

One of you guys should know this, but I've got a Dogmeat question. Right now I have him staying at my Megaton house. Thing is, certain parts of the game cause him to just... appear. He just showed up in the Taft Tunnels for no reason during Waters of Life. This happened on my last play through as well, after Vault 87. If I tell him to go to 101, will this still happen? Also, what are the odds he just gets himself killed while waiting at 101?

There's no mob spawns outside of 101, otherwise there'd be the chance you'd get instagibbed the second you stepped out of the tutorial. So, there's no harm in sending him back to 101.

As far as him just showing up, that's quite puzzling. But, yknow, as so many people are so very fond of saying, Bethesda lol. Seems like a beneficial bug to me anyway?

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Shadowen wrote: »

I think you need to either create a windows live account or, hey, not deal with that Goosery of having to create an account just to update a game and just find the FMM that replaces it (you'll lose achievements I heard).

Ah here it is
    "If it is Xlive and you are using Fallout Mod Manager there is a setting under "Install Tweaker" that will set up a fake xlive.dll in your game and you won't have to worry about Microsoft."

Then just patch it like I did. I had the same problem and I have A BURNING HATRED that they never actually tell you what they want.

Thankyew. Worked perfect.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I just reinstalled this game today after my games drive blew up.

I always went through the OP and starting downloading mods.

I now have just over 700 MBs worth of mods. This is going to be a bitch to set up.

EDIT: I'm also assuming that if I got the Steam versions of the DLC (if Steam has them) they will be incompatible with the disc version.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah Reavers are about the worst thing in the game by the end. Albino radscorpions are pretty annoying too, but they're not as deadly they just take ages to kill.

My main problem with albinos is, using increased increased spawns, there's just roving bands of them around the wasteland. They kill everything they see, so by time I come around, it's just scorpions and corpses.

To whoever was asking, the Anchorage marker is pointing to a door, not the metro tunnel.

Scooter on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Before I buy this again, this time for PC can someone tell me if I'll be able to get it on max settings?
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
    4Gb of DDR2 800Mhz
    9600 GT.
    My monitor only does 1024x768, so hopefully I can get it all shiny lookin'. Otherwise I'll just get it for Ps3. Again.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Before I buy this again, this time for PC can someone tell me if I'll be able to get it on max settings?
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
    4Gb of DDR2 800Mhz
    9600 GT.
    My monitor only does 1024x768, so hopefully I can get it all shiny lookin'. Otherwise I'll just get it for Ps3. Again.

you should be able to make it pretty at 1024

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Would it be possible for someone to extract the soundtrack (not the songs, just the atmospheric stuff) from the PC version of the game? I'd love to have the incidental music on my mp3 player, it's awesome stuff. Just been listening to a bunch on youtube and it reminded me how much I liked it. Especially the main theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0UTUTQV3Hs

Is making me nostalgic for FO3 and now I want to buy it again, but that would be dumb because New Vegas is out in a few months and I am poor.

If this counts as taboo topic sorry, I'll take down the request if so.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh man, I love that theme so much.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png