Options

[Fallout 3] Wubba harrrrglb? JAMBAAGLR

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What's a WG?

The companion command wheel looks awesome. I only have Dogmeat so far, but have to go through a list is a pain. It would be nice if you didn't have to be within touching distance to issue commands. I should be able to yell "come here, Dogmeat! Here, boy! Come on!" or something, and Dogmeat should come if he is within a certain radius.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wg = weight

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Can anyone give me some tips on how I should play a Small Guns/Sneak character? I'd like some silenced weapons but I'm only level 7 so I only have the silenced 10mm pistol. The Infiltrator/Perforator is Pitt DLC and I don't know if there are any DLC silenced weapons that are balanced.

Also, what's a good level to approach each DLC (except Broken Steel of course).

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, here's the funny thing about F3... Every weapon acts silenced. If you one-shot sneak crit a guy, nobody else gives a rats and you stay hidden. Usually. I tended to walk around with loud snipers and still be hidden while shooting guys in the metro. Nobody ever cares.

That said, you miss a shot, or take more than one to hit, you're kinda screwed. Your companions will also bungle stealth every chance they get by running around screaming. Or not even being able to sneak, like Dogmeat and Fawkes.

With THAT said, there is technically a Silenced 10mm Pistol. Thats about it. Laser weapons are pretty quite too, I guess. AP will also be very important. You should rely on your own abilities for long distances, though, because asides from overly accurate weapons like the Lincoln's Repeater, VATS will usually miss. Up close, though, you can crit the living crap out of people with VATS, and get multiple targets in a single go. Need to clean out a room? Sneakily position yourself perfectly to VATS every target one-shot to the head. Its beautiful.

When it comes to perk, you're gonna wanna use the build I used, basically:

Intensive Training (1 pt. INT)
    Ladykiller
    Educated
    Comprehension

Child at Heart
    Bloody Mess
    Entomologist
    Toughness

Gunslinger
    Commando
    Strong Back
    Finesse
    Lawbringer
    Action Boy
    Robotics Expert
    Sniper
    Concentrated Fire
    Better Criticals
    Explorer
    Grim Reaper's Sprint
    Pyromaniac
    Cyborg
    Adamantium Skeleton

Paralyzing Palm
    Warmonger
    Silent Running
    Mister Sandman
    Ninja
    Almost Perfect

Some of those aren't relevant to sneaking and stuff, and are more about my chosen build. I bolded the ones not too relevant, and italicized the useful, but not sneak-related ones. Anything that improves your damage, sneaking or allows you to take a hit (should you get caught) is pretty much good.

Edit: And I'm pretty hopeful that companion wheel means we don't need to initiate conversation, or even be next to, a companion to order them around.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    Shame you can't get a legitimate set of Winterized Combat armour. That stuff was so cool, probably the coolest thing I've seen. It was like I was playing G.I. Joe. Then again, the entire OA quest was like something out of G.I. Joe.

Mothership Zeta has General Chase's Overcoat, which appears as Winterized Combat Armour on female PCs. The Winterized Medic Armour it offers may also use the same model, I'm not sure.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    finnith wrote: »
    Can anyone give me some tips on how I should play a Small Guns/Sneak character? I'd like some silenced weapons but I'm only level 7 so I only have the silenced 10mm pistol. The Infiltrator/Perforator is Pitt DLC and I don't know if there are any DLC silenced weapons that are balanced.

Also, what's a good level to approach each DLC (except Broken Steel of course).

Reccomended levels:

Operation Anchorage: Any

The Pitt: Lvl. 10-12

Broken Steel: Lvl. 17+

Point Lookout: Lvl. 20+

Mothership Zeta: Lvl. 18+

Anchorage gets you power armor training early, plus good equipment, the pitt is a midway quest, which you'll have to do part of with limited resources, Broken Steel should be done later, since it has tough enemies and requires you to go through Old Olney (besides, you have to beat the main game first anyway). Point Lookout is just damn hard... all enemies do a bonus +36 damage (can't be resisted by armor). And Mothership Zeta should be done sometime during Broken Steel's activation, or whenever you hit lvl. 15+

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hate Point Lookout. It's so annoying that, even though I'm walking around in T-51b and wielding a Gauss Rifle/Metal Blaster, these backwoods tribals and mutated swampfolk wielding repeating rifles and shotguns are much more dangerous to me than stuff like Super Mutant Overlords with Gatling Lasers.

The fact that it crashes about once every hour or so makes me never want to go back now that I did the quests there once.

The actual environment and setup of the region is pretty interesting but I just can't make myself go there.

Duffel on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    smof wrote: »
    I'm gonna have another go at Fallout 1 and 2. Only played 3 before and the character creation is a bit different. I'm gonna have small guns and lockpick as 2 of my tagged skills but not sure what to pick for the 3rd. Is sneaking useful in this game (always found it a pain to do in Baldur's Gate)? Does repair work the same way as in FO3 cos if so I'll probably pick that. And what does 'outdoorsman' do?

In FO3 I ditched charisma as low as it would go so I could have high agility, intelligence and endurance. If I do that in 1, will I get shafted for having low charisma? I never found it any use in 3.

You can beat fallout 2 without killing anyone yourself, so speech is definitely good

override367 on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not even rats? Cos I did about an hour of FO1 earlier and I didn't kill any people yet, but I have been shanking the hell out of the wasteland's rat population.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fuck steel ingots. They need to die.

I collected 98. 98. I know I'm missing two, and I know they're in the bigass Steelyard. I checked to make sure I found the right amount per area, but didn't actually use any guides to find the pieces. How the hell do I find two small pieces in that yard? I've been over it countless times and its making my faceholes bleed. I swear, I must be at 2 hours now, just wandering a barren yard.

Otherwise, this DLC is awesome. Who else thought "Escape from The Pitt" when they crossed that bridge with the mines? So awesome.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Honestly, when I get the ingots now I just load up a youtube video and follow their every move.

Forcing yourself to find them all once is heroic. Forcing yourself to do it any more than that sans-guide is just masochistic.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fuck steel ingots. They need to die.

I collected 98. 98. I know I'm missing two, and I know they're in the bigass Steelyard. I checked to make sure I found the right amount per area, but didn't actually use any guides to find the pieces. How the hell do I find two small pieces in that yard? I've been over it countless times and its making my faceholes bleed. I swear, I must be at 2 hours now, just wandering a barren yard.

Otherwise, this DLC is awesome. Who else thought "Escape from The Pitt" when they crossed that bridge with the mines? So awesome.

Hah, yeah, there's some that are in really annoying places. A few tips; check in dumpsters, they like to hide them in there. Theres a few amongst a pile of old tires that I remember easily missing. Also, have you been up to the very top of the huge crane? There's a few hidden quite well along the way to there, among the silo looking things. Also, of course, exploring the whole of the interior area, there's a lot in there. Oh, and also amongst the generators in the far left corner of the yard, behind some wire fencing that can be a bitch to get over.

Still, it's pretty worth it, the Tribal Power Armour you get is great. Combined with Ledoux's Hockey Mask, it gives you a net bonus of +38 or so AP, and if you chug a Quantum and some Ultrajet, you can get off a ridiculous amount of sniper rounds in VATS.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, here's the funny thing about F3... Every weapon acts silenced. If you one-shot sneak crit a guy, nobody else gives a rats and you stay hidden. Usually. I tended to walk around with loud snipers and still be hidden while shooting guys in the metro. Nobody ever cares.

:...:

HUH. I was carrying around a silenced MP5 (FOOK2) for stealthy stuff. Guess I shouldn't have bothered. :?

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ayulin wrote: »

:...:

HUH. I was carrying around a silenced MP5 (FOOK2) for stealthy stuff. Guess I shouldn't have bothered. :?

No, you should keep doing that. Odds are FOOK2 includes one of the various mods that make silencers actually meaningful.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    silencers allow repeat attacks on the same guy

i think if you fail to kill a guy outright with a crit sneak attack (such as when all the bullets bafflingly hit geometry) he'll be alerted and so will everyone else

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It amuses me when you turn a raider into green goo right in front of his friends and none of them react. Same with one-shotting people with arrows in Oblivion. Stupid bethesda AI.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    verbelverbel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    verbel wrote: »
    So I decided to reinstall and play this again but am haveing some issues. This is the first time i have tried running it under windows 7. When I first install it I can run it with no problems but when I install the 3.1.7 patch it crashes to desktop as soon as I launch it. Does anyone have any ideas?
    I remember the game would crash right away on me when I switched to a 16:9 monitor, because the auto detection system would set it at some crazy, non-fitting resolution and the game wouldn't even try to render a distorted picture.

Maybe check your resolution settings?

+1 to you good Sir. This was my issue. Odd how it was never a problem until the latest patch.

verbel on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Just started a new playthrough since it's been ages since I was working through my last one, and the new FOOK2 update recommends running it on a new game. Most of the mods I was using got rolled into the update anyway, so I'm just trying it with that alone (aside from things like DUI and CASM, of course).

Spoilers for the Vault escape sequence in FOOK2 1.1:
    The new version of FOOK2 adds a giant radroach as a miniboss during the Vault 101 escape sequence. Upon first seeing it, my thoughts went from "that one radroach looks glitched, it's too big o_O" to "D:D:D:" within a second.

As someone who hates insects, I get the feeling now and then that I'm playing the wrong game. :lol:

I also tried using melee weapons (the baseball bat that's in your room and later a police baton) for the first time; much more effective than I thought it would be, at least against the Vault security guards.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    just want to give a shout out to the armour disguises mod, because it's super cool. it works basically like the ghoul mask, but with any faction's armour- the outcasts will believe you're an outcast wearing the outcast armour, and so on

i'm dressed in badlands armour and a gas mask i stole from a guy i beat to death with a baseball bat, and i'm now infiltrating paradise falls, picking off secluded raiders with sneak tire-irons to the back of the head

no one is any the wiser, and i have a feeling it makes stealth hilariously easy, but the advantages (a use for costumes that aren't combat armour, tension you could cut with a knife, the unbearable coolness of walking boldfaced past a raider guard without him suspecting a thing, then nailing him in the back of the head) is so worth it.

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That sounds really nifty, actually. It's one of the things that seems like an obvious gaping hole now it's been brought up but wasn't previously noticed.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Duffel wrote: »
    Honestly, when I get the ingots now I just load up a youtube video and follow their every move.

Forcing yourself to find them all once is heroic. Forcing yourself to do it any more than that sans-guide is just masochistic.

I would have used a guide, but it would've gone slower, initially. Synching myself up with one is always such a pain and a major flow-breaker in gameplay. It was worth finding them myself.

Mind you, next time I play through, I'll probably just skip the entire damned place.
    Hah, yeah, there's some that are in really annoying places. A few tips; check in dumpsters, they like to hide them in there. Theres a few amongst a pile of old tires that I remember easily missing. Also, have you been up to the very top of the huge crane? There's a few hidden quite well along the way to there, among the silo looking things. Also, of course, exploring the whole of the interior area, there's a lot in there. Oh, and also amongst the generators in the far left corner of the yard, behind some wire fencing that can be a bitch to get over.

Still, it's pretty worth it, the Tribal Power Armour you get is great. Combined with Ledoux's Hockey Mask, it gives you a net bonus of +38 or so AP, and if you chug a Quantum and some Ultrajet, you can get off a ridiculous amount of sniper rounds in VATS.

My hero. I found them. Two ingots nestled in some tires. I'm really disappointed that I already have a vague idea of whats going on in The Pitt, because I've read near-spoilers and stuff, like who Ashur is. Something tells me it would've been a total mindfuck.

This place is fantastic. The atmosphere, the people, the designs and even just the item names. Something tells me if they did F3 entirely in Pittsburgh, then less people would've been pissed about their choices. No Capitol Brotherhood, Super Mutants, etc. Fallout name, with basic ties to the series and entirely new ideas.
    Nuzak wrote: »
    just want to give a shout out to the armour disguises mod, because it's super cool. it works basically like the ghoul mask, but with any faction's armour- the outcasts will believe you're an outcast wearing the outcast armour, and so on

i'm dressed in badlands armour and a gas mask i stole from a guy i beat to death with a baseball bat, and i'm now infiltrating paradise falls, picking off secluded raiders with sneak tire-irons to the back of the head

no one is any the wiser, and i have a feeling it makes stealth hilariously easy, but the advantages (a use for costumes that aren't combat armour, tension you could cut with a knife, the unbearable coolness of walking boldfaced past a raider guard without him suspecting a thing, then nailing him in the back of the head) is so worth it.

I tried doing this in vanilla, in my first play through. Almost every time I first met a faction, I'd toss on stuff I found. Shame it only works once, and only for a couple seconds, leaving no real impact.
    Wearing Outcast armour into the Outcast Outpost will fool everyone except the Protector, who, as soon as you speak to him, spoils the surprise, then its back to normal. You can continue wearing the armour and they won't be complete dicks to you, though. They'll use generic Brotherhood sayings.

There are plenty of times I'd wanted to use disguises:
    Ghoul mask + chinese jumpsuit + hat in Mama Dolce would've been pretty cool
    Brotherhood armour to get in early to the Citadel
    Generic Raiders, Talon Company, etc baddies
    Outcast armour at Outcast Outpost/Fort Independence
    Pitt Raider clothes for The Pitt (you get it while still in the Wasteland, for crying out loud)
    Slaver-type clothes for Paradise Falls or even walking up the steps of the Lincoln Memorial
    Enclave gear (but with a massive chance to be detected)
    Getting into Rivet City Armory
    Getting to Tenpenny without hassle

Probably other things I can't remember. Thought, they could've linked disguises to perception. An NPC with a high perception can sniff you out, like when you're stealthing. That would've allowed for high risk areas in disguises. It could be measured against your luck and charisma, as well.

Also, Chinese Stealth Suit is the coolest thing I have ever seen ever for reals.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    sounds like you're having an odd time then, it works fine on raiders so far, and apparently the chinese jumpsuit now works on those ghouls

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm not using the mod, I meant that those were times that the vanilla game should've allowed disguises. That disguises could've been in the game without mods. :P

I always like trouncing around feral ghoul territory in my ghoul mask, then plugging the Reavers so I don't have to deal with them later.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    aaaahh i see what you are saying.

in any case with disguises it's really made a stealth and melee approach more viable, and more cool than just sniping. a stealth whack on the back of the head looks so right

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I used to be a purist about games, wanting to play through them at least once as they were intended before I used any mods or cheats to see the rest of the stuff in the game.

Bethesda has broken me of this... their games are simply not worth seeing 'pure' before mods are added... mods should be applied early and often to Bethesda games. This is also why I'll never buy another Bethsoft game for the console ever again. :P

Mods do not take anything away from the Fallout 3 experience... they only add. Even FOOK2 and FWE, which are major overhauls of the game, don't change anything about the story experience... they only fix the broken crap in the game and add encounters and items into areas that would otherwise have nothing. FOOK2, for example, lets you repair shit with scrap metal, so you don't need another item to fix the one you're using. FWE makes this a little more fair by forcing you to take the scrap to a workbench and build repair kits, which can then be used to fix anything.

I had skipped over Oblivion, but after enjoying Fallout 3 so much, I went back and bought it. I have never even played the vanilla version; I went straight to the Nexus and modded the shit outta that game, knowing the vanilla experience was totally not worth having.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have still yet to play Oblivion. First, I am going to wait until I get the GOTY version. Then I still have to figure out what mods I want.

Shit, I haven't even figured out the mod selection for Morrowind. Last time I tried, it crashed because it turnd out one of my mods was in Russian, so that just fucked up the text for every item.

With Fallout 3, it's just FWE, MMM, and a few minor mods. I think I'll trying adding the disguise mod, but this might be me embarking down a slippery slope.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010

in any case with disguises it's really made a stealth and melee approach more viable, and more cool than just sniping. a stealth whack on the back of the head looks so right

And the Chinese Stealth Suit was born. I use it almost entirely for melee, but it'd be nice to, ya know, wear something else.

An invisible Deathclaw Gauntlet is cool, but a visible "RRRRAAWRRR!" is even cooler.
    I used to be a purist about games, wanting to play through them at least once as they were intended before I used any mods or cheats to see the rest of the stuff in the game.

Bethesda has broken me of this... their games are simply not worth seeing 'pure' before mods are added... mods should be applied early and often to Bethesda games. This is also why I'll never buy another Bethsoft game for the console ever again. :P

Mods do not take anything away from the Fallout 3 experience... they only add. Even FOOK2 and FWE, which are major overhauls of the game, don't change anything about the story experience... they only fix the broken crap in the game and add encounters and items into areas that would otherwise have nothing. FOOK2, for example, lets you repair shit with scrap metal, so you don't need another item to fix the one you're using. FWE makes this a little more fair by forcing you to take the scrap to a workbench and build repair kits, which can then be used to fix anything.

I had skipped over Oblivion, but after enjoying Fallout 3 so much, I went back and bought it. I have never even played the vanilla version; I went straight to the Nexus and modded the shit outta that game, knowing the vanilla experience was totally not worth having.

Wooooo, boy. Oblivion. That game. That sure is... well, it sure is a game. Thats about all I can say about it without calling it a goose.
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I have still yet to play Oblivion. First, I am going to wait until I get the GOTY version. Then I still have to figure out what mods I want.

Shit, I haven't even figured out the mod selection for Morrowind. Last time I tried, it crashed because it turnd out one of my mods was in Russian, so that just fucked up the text for every item.

With Fallout 3, it's just FWE, MMM, and a few minor mods. I think I'll trying adding the disguise mod, but this might be me embarking down a slippery slope.

Heads up: GOTY Oblivion doesn't net you all the DLC. It nets only Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine, leaving out:

Horse Armor
    Mehrunes' Razor
    Orrery
    Spell Tomes
    Thieves Den
    Vile Lair
    Wizard's Tower
    Fighter's Stronghold

All of which can be gotten via the Knights of the Nine retail pack. Except Fighter's Stronghold, which just can't be gotten at all because Bethesda are silly. So, if you buy GOTY, you pay $20, then maybe another $15 for one piece of major DLC you already have and a bunch of minor things, and you still don't have all the DLC. Good times.

And folks wonder why I hate DLC with a passion.

Klash on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

And the Chinese Stealth Suit was born. I use it almost entirely for melee, but it'd be nice to, ya know, wear something else.

An invisible Deathclaw Gauntlet is cool, but a visible "RRRRAAWRRR!" is even cooler.

Wooooo, boy. Oblivion. That game. That sure is... well, it sure is a game. Thats about all I can say about it without calling it a goose.

Heads up: GOTY Oblivion doesn't net you all the DLC. It nets only Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine, leaving out:

Horse Armor
    Mehrunes' Razor
    Orrery
    Spell Tomes
    Thieves Den
    Vile Lair
    Wizard's Tower
    Fighter's Stronghold

All of which can be gotten via the Knights of the Nine retail pack. Except Fighter's Stronghold, which just can't be gotten at all because Bethesda are silly. So, if you buy GOTY, you pay $20, then maybe another $15 for one piece of major DLC you already have and a bunch of minor things, and you still don't have all the DLC. Good times.

That's really really bizarre.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Horse Armor
    Mehrunes' Razor
    Orrery
    Spell Tomes
    Thieves Den
    Vile Lair
    Wizard's Tower
    Fighter's Stronghold

I think Steam sells a Deluxe GOTY version that has most/all of the missing DLC.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    But the horse armour and all those lairs/towers/dens are a total waste of time so why would anyone care about them. Knights of the Nine is actually a fun quest. And I have SI but have never played it because I'm always too busy faffing around to actually go through the Scary Door.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I would disagree re: Fook, though. I recently tried to play through with the game with Fook2 installed and had to quit, precisely BECAUSE they changed too much, and often for stupid reasons. An early example: you get into Megaton, and the bomb is carefully situated on scaffolding. Whaaaat? I mean, the whole point of the bomb was that it was stuck there, and everyone was afraid to touch it, so it just lay there unexploded. If they were willing and capable of moving the damn thing, why not just move it somewhere else entirely?

Meanwhile, outside is a camp and NPC entirely devoted to handling a needlessly complex and immersion-shattering companion system.

Now, with FWE, I'll agree with you. It feels like the way the game was meant to be played. And Obsidian appears to agree, as much of what it adds coincides with Vegas' "hardcore mode."

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    But the horse armour and all those lairs/towers/dens are a total waste of time so why would anyone care about them. Knights of the Nine is actually a fun quest. And I have SI but have never played it because I'm always too busy faffing around to actually go through the Scary Door.

Oh man, Shivering Isles was actually pretty cool. Go check it out.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    I think Steam sells a Deluxe GOTY version that has most/all of the missing DLC.

Which does no good to anyone who buys retail. :P

Because, despite being small, its a part of the experience they should have included, regardless?

Also, Oblivion is just an all around example of "don't do this" for games, anyways. Its a great example of a game with depth, that is still completely shallow. If I ever go back to it, I expect to mod it until it isn't even Oblivion anymore. Maybe a racing sim or something.

Now, Fallout 3. I'm in the Pitt. I've met Ashur. I don't know what to do. I mean, I know literally what to do. But morally, what do I do? Even just roleplaying my character can't figure it out.
    He's a Clint Eastwood type of vigilante. I go out of my way to kill raiders and slavers all over the Wasteland, absolutely laid low Paradise Falls, I've killed every slaver I've met in a random encounter and saved every slave. I helped Hannibal Hamlin and covered the steps of the Memorial in slaver blood. Now, though? What now? I can't let the people suffer and slaving continue, but a cure for radiation? That could reverse ghoul-ing? Remove all these awful Wasteland creatures? Combined with Project Purity and Oasis, the Mill and the Cure could save the world.

I am seriously conflicted. I shot my way into the place, even. Chinese Stealth Suit'd right up to Mex and took his fucking head off. I made sure to get my rematch with Reddup, too.

What should I do?

Also annoying is the game itself has a fucking identity crisis. It acts like the good karma solution is to save the slaves, because the game is silly and takes into account immediate good only, long term issues are irrelevant to the karma system (like being able to kill Roy Philips after the massacre). On the other hand, nicking the medical research paper from Sandra or raiding Ashur's safe gets me negative karma. Even fiddling with his turret system gets negative karma. But all the Pitt raiders/slavers leave fucking fingers!

As well, I'm currently wearing a Brotherhood of Steel Power Armor set. How did Bethesda not think to put any dialogue and game options into The Pitt, when wearing this? Really? Ashur doesn't even bat an eye when I waltz in wearing the armour of his past? Not one person in The Pitt goes "OH SHIT, THEY'RE BACK!"? Nothing? Bethesda, man. I intentionally lugged along this armour, this WG wasting armour, just to get reactions.

Klash on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    mwoody wrote: »
    I would disagree re: Fook, though. I recently tried to play through with the game with Fook2 installed and had to quit, precisely BECAUSE they changed too much, and often for stupid reasons. An early example: you get into Megaton, and the bomb is carefully situated on scaffolding. Whaaaat? I mean, the whole point of the bomb was that it was stuck there, and everyone was afraid to touch it, so it just lay there unexploded. If they were willing and capable of moving the damn thing, why not just move it somewhere else entirely?

Meanwhile, outside is a camp and NPC entirely devoted to handling a needlessly complex and immersion-shattering companion system.

Now, with FWE, I'll agree with you. It feels like the way the game was meant to be played. And Obsidian appears to agree, as much of what it adds coincides with Vegas' "hardcore mode."

Regarding the bomb in Megaton, if you ask around, people will tell you that no one messes with it because a) they figure it's inert or it would have gone off already, and b) there's a cult that worships it and it'd cause huge amounts of pain and fighting to get rid of it. The cult was part of the starting of Megaton which is part of why the town's there (along with the nearby airport they used for materials).

I do understand not wanting that scaffolding there, however... if I'd had a choice, I wouldn't have put it in. It's hardly game-breaking, especially compared to all the great things that FOOK2 adds to the game.

What is this about a camp with the immersion-shattering companion system, though? I never saw this in FOOK2. The only companion-related thing I saw in FOOK2 was the Lucy West companion mod, which lets you pick her up as a follower if you complete her quest (without killing Ian and without going hostile to Arefu). Never saw any camp at all.

FWE is way different, and I like it a lot though I miss much of what FOOK2 changed. I can't use them together, unfortunately, because the FOIP mod that lets them work together isn't updated for the new version of FWE. I thought about using an older version, but the new one adds so much ability to toggle and adjust settings, that I don't think I could do without it.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Alright, so, the ending to The Pitt:
    So, all you can do is either, let Ashur keep things relatively stable and continue to one day do some good. Or I can kill Ashur and Werhner just keeps doing things, except worse? Oh, and I get to be the boss, but everyone is still a slave.

I guess that makes Ashur the good guy?

Edit: Its not that moral ambiguity is bad, its that this is the ending and it isn't very satisfactory as a good guy. Roleplaying pretty much gets tossed out the window now. What I imagined my character would do, is appeal to Ashur.
    I'd tell him that I have ties to the Brotherhood, Lyons still lives and they've just finished a hugely successful campaign against the Enclave, the Wasteland is slowly being restored and the Super Mutants HQ has been uncovered. I'd tell him to contact the Brotherhood and Lyons would surely assist in fixing up The Pitt, especially if it meant a functioning forge and a cure for radiation. Also, Aqua Pura. Slaves could then be let free/given the choice to stay and work, protected by Ashur/Brotherhood, or venture into the dangers of the city, also be offered "pay" in the form of not being treated like shit and maybe some tech/caps like with the water caravans.

Then I'd shoot Wehrner. I really want to explore the rest of Pittsburg. The atmosphere is the best I've seen in the entire game.

Edit 2: Alright, I've done both endings. Werhnher and Ashur. I decided Ashur was the way to go.
    Ashur might drop a finger, but he seems to have a clear intent to actually do something. He wants to clean up the city, he wants to find the cure. Wernher never seemed on the level, he just becomes the new boss, even if you become boss, he's still acting in your stead. Not to mention, once Ashur tells you Wernher used to be 2nd in command, and attempted a coup, its pretty obvious he just wants to control The Pitt for himself.

What really got me, though, is that everyone is acting like I'm a bad guy, which I guess makes sense, but pisses me off that in the annals of history, I'll be a big bad for this. Not befitting of my Messiah.

More over, why does Ashur drop a finger but Wernher doesn't? The game cannot possibly be telling me that Wernher is better for the Pitt since he doesn't actually free anybody, and the player just becomes Lord of the Pitt. Here's hoping Obsidian aren't so dense.

Ashur also comments about his hate for the oldschool Brotherhood. That just further enforces the idea in my mind, that if he were aware of what the Capitol Brotherhood is/has become, he'd be overjoyed to reconile with them. Then begin enslaving the Outcasts, who are huge asshats. Also doable would've been, as Lord of The Pitt, declare the forge shutdown and the slaves free, and tell Wernher to fuck off.

Edit 4: Back in the Wasteland now. Holy hell. I didn't realize just how much I missed this place. Once I finished The Pitt, and started heading home... I felt a heavy weight lift. Man, The Pitt's atmosphere is just so good. Its so uncharacteristic of what I think of Fallout, its so oppressive, it was such a change of pace. Massively effective, and starkly beautiful. I'd really love to revisit the Pitt 30/40 years on, slaves are now workers proper (smelting clothes, instead of rags, pay and wage), instead of capturing new slaves contracts are assigned to workers via incentives, the Raiders are now guards (like Rivet City type guards), connections established with the Capitol, and Ashur at the helm, cure in hand.

Fallout 4, retaking The Pitt. I would be all over that. The aesthetics would even be the same, since the area is still covered in soot and clouds, the forge is still going and trogs continue to exist, the cure only beginning its introduction to the populace. Main quest line based around retaking The Pitt/entire city/area from the trogs, wildmen, raiders, maybe even Wernher (assuming you talked him into leaving) leading an opposition. Oh man, the DLC for F3 is just so great. I can't wait to do Point Lookout.

Klash on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, the Pitt has some really excellent atmosphere. I think one of the most beautiful sights in FO3 is watching the sun set from the entrance to the steel yard. The sky is partially obscured by massive plumes of smoke, but what is visible is an absolutely brilliant, yet entirely unnatural, orange. I actually just stopped and stared for a couple minutes - it really made me feel part of the world, for some reason.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The Pitt really pulls off the whole 80s Mad Max-style post-apocalyptic setting really well. It was also neat to see that there was more going on with the Raiders than "low-level enemy armed with Small Guns".

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, the raiders of the Wasteland =/= raiders of the Pitt. The Pitt raiders are, well, from the Pitt. The guys you meet at the Super Duper Mart? Under bridges? The Raiders that live in the Capitol are just low-level cannibal goons. Pitt Raiders might raid the Wasteland, but from the sounds of it, they raid the Pitt's Wasteland, that is to say, I don't think they head up to Washington just to hit caravans, when they have their own city to hit.

It'd be pretty rad to find Pitt raiders in the Wasteland, though. It'd be even cooler if you could catch them attacking scavengers, the regular caravan guys, water caravans and even attacking outlying towns like The Republic of Dave. Nice way to pick up their armour. Hell, for evil characters, it'd be nice to talk to Ashur about leading raids and then choosing a target and hitting it.

[strike]And I'm going crazy. I'm trying to reverse-pickpocket Ashur, but I can't. I have all the sneak perks, 100 in sneak, Chinese Stealth Suit on and a Stealthboy active, crouched with "hidden" in green. I put a Tesla Armor on him, went away, came back. He had it on, excellent. Check his inventory, his armour is in it. Perfect. Except, anytime I try to take it (or even just his ammo) I get caught.

How much more stealthy could I possibly be?[/strike]

Edit: Scratch that. I just loaded up the game again, it worked. I guess I needed to reload the cell or some such.

Klash on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Went back a couple pages and didn't see this mentioned.
    Mark Morgan’s “Vault Archives” is remastered and mixed full-bandwidth soundtrack from old-classic “Fallout” games (24 tracks).
    http://auralnetwork.com/releases

Downloading as I type this. Has anyone else checked this out yet and can testify as to how it sounds?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png