As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Free MMO Überlist

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Search function doesn't seem to work so sorry if this has been touched on already, but how's Forsaken World? Downloading from Steam now.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    steam just added a big thing of free MMOs to the steam store

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    wut

edit- nice. basically Champions Online, Global Agenda, Spiral Knights, Alliance of Valiant Arms, and Forsaken World available for download and will log how many hours you played via steam :p

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DFO is fun, but it does get fairly grindy. Not that this is a bad thing, considering the awesome combat and the suplexing/shooting/slicing/exorcising of mans.

I haven't managed to keep a very firm grip on Vindictus, though. Something about the grind in that one just kills my desire to play it. No idea why I don't attribute this sensation to DFO. Must be the aesthetic. I'm an absolute sucker for 2D brawlers, going all the way back to Streets of Rage and King of Dragons.

dfo is less grindy than wow

edit: except for the chronicle quests, but that's because they're valuable items that can't be bought other than with time

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    oh god the wow grind

*twitches*

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Has LOTRO been mentioned in here? It's mostly quest-based. I got a character to the 20s and never felt bored.

http://i.imgur.com/M02Ms.jpg

MKR on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    Has LOTRO been mentioned in here? It's mostly quest-based. I got a character to the 20s and never felt bored.

http://i.imgur.com/M02Ms.jpg
    Dude, check my recommended titles, I believe LOTRO is on top of the list. :P

Aldo on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So no comments on Forsaken World?

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Probably, 10 or so pages back at least when we first tried it ages ago.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Dragon Nest closed beta runs this week and started yesterday. I'll take some screencaps and post some impressions when the servers go up later today.

It's very similar to vindictus' sort of arcadey smashy combat, and looks like it will be a blast to play with PA people.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Probably, 10 or so pages back at least when we first tried it ages ago.

I was curious about this too, and 10 pages back was helpful, thanks :P.

Here's the first relevant post I found, and a bit of conversation continues for a page or so, then everyone forgets about it. Comments seem to be some elements are very similar to WoW, and in general feels like a WoW clone, but has some nice features, moves fairly quickly, and can be fun. Also perhaps a bit too much grinding.

I'll probably download it and check it out in the next few days.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    kime wrote: »
    I was curious about this too, and 10 pages back was helpful, thanks :P.

Here's the first relevant post I found, and a bit of conversation continues for a page or so, then everyone forgets about it. Comments seem to be some elements are very similar to WoW, and in general feels like a WoW clone, but has some nice features, moves fairly quickly, and can be fun. Also perhaps a bit too much grinding.

I'll probably download it and check it out in the next few days.
    There's worse ways you can spend a few evenings. It's very much a Perfect World game.

Aldo on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Family Guy Unity based MMO http://www.familyguyonline.com/

Just taking registrations at the moment, lets see how badly this one pans out. I wouldn't mind just hanging out with Mayor West though.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Adda wrote: »
    Family Guy Unity based MMO http://www.familyguyonline.com/

Just taking registrations at the moment, lets see how badly this one pans out. I wouldn't mind just hanging out with Mayor West though.
    This can't go well.

I'm counting on you to keep me updated.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Me and my girlfriend was wondering what the heck you'd do in a Family Guy MMO.
    My guess is that everyone pick their favourite character and then join up in groups to kinda re-enact Family Guy scenes and come up with new jokes/scetches.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So high level content will be getting a sketch with enough random 80s references and running it for twice as long as it needs to run, then getting that joke put into an actual episode?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I can think of two things:

One big Family Guy spoof of a MMO. Think of the WoW South Park episode, but make it a real game.

A tie in with a Family Guy movie wherein something happens that would be translated to a kind of open world setting.

Both sound like disasters.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh hey, didn't even know I was in the dragon nest cb until i checked the site

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Dragon Nest is pretty fun. It's structured similarly to Vindictus in that you dip into instanced, segmented dungeons and fight waves of monsters, and the combat is very action and combo based.

I'm playing a Cleric, which specializes in melee attacks, shields/healing, and lightning magic. The skills blend together really well to allow you to tear things up. I tried an archer briefly and it was totally different, almost becoming like a third person shooter. Each class also has 3 general types of weapons which change their basic combos and have different stat weights.

It's a really hard game to capture with screens since it's so fast, but I gave it a shot
    Wanna ride this thing
    DN%202011-06-16%2015-04-24%20Thu.jpg

Killing Fodder
    DN%202011-06-16%2016-06-41%20Thu.jpg
    DN%202011-06-16%2017-11-14%20Thu.jpg
    DN%202011-06-16%2015-30-52%20Thu.jpg

Bosses
    DN%202011-06-16%2015-37-26%20Thu.jpg
    DN%202011-06-16%2016-40-40%20Thu.jpg
    DN%202011-06-16%2017-29-14%20Thu.jpg
    DN%202011-06-16%2017-14-08%20Thu.jpg

Cutscene Badguy
    DN%202011-06-16%2017-14-59%20Thu.jpg

CB is only running for a week, which seems to suggest they are doing it quickly to gear up for an OB to follow soon after.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think I'm in this, but stopped caring because of the graphics. Maybe I could record a couple vids.

Hmm. I guess not. Weird.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    NishuNishu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I dislike the character models in Dragon Nest, but I love the enemy monster models. I should really try out the english version.

Nishu on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, don't much care for the PC models, but man, the enemy designs are lovely. <3

Glal on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Huh. Sort of a Blue Dragon online sort of thing? Looks enjoyable, depending on the item mall.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    I can think of two things:

One big Family Guy spoof of a MMO. Think of the WoW South Park episode, but make it a real game.

A tie in with a Family Guy movie wherein something happens that would be translated to a kind of open world setting.

Both sound like disasters.

How do they make a family guy movie? God thats going to be horrible...the show is terrible enough. I honestly believe whoever made the show is just punking a bunch of idiots because i guarantee 95% of their audiance does not understand or get the vast majority of the references in the jokes in the show, yet laugh and pretend they do. The jokes also drag on far longer than they are welcome. It's just an awful show...how can they make a movie with this...an hour and a half of 10 minute long reference jokes? You know, 10 minutes, just in case you didnt get it in the fist minute.

Edit: Dragon nest also looks really fun to me.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    wow it looks much better than what i remember from pax. and i liked what i saw at pax

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It looks pretty, what's the system requirements like? I remember Vindictus was amazing in that department.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    In "oh great, more failed P2P MMOs to go F2P"news:

My German source Gratis-mmorpg.com tells us that Fallen Earth is going F2P. There's a news post on the official site, but it won't let me progress past the age verification screen. The 12 guys who were still working on the game are going to work for Gamers First.

For those who don't know what Fallen Earth is: setting inspired by Mad Max and Fallout, gameplay inspired by early MMOs (no classes, improve skills by using them) and a business plan inspired by cooking with Lindsay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdmySY9Qiqo

Aldo on
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fallen Earth is being picked up by GamersFirst, and will be F2P within 5 months.
    Edit: beated by a minute. I feel bad. Of course, I spent 15 minutes disabling firefox extensions trying to pass that damn age verification screen, so not that bad. And your use of a video is much better.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Jobastion wrote: »
    Fallen Earth is being picked up by GamersFirst, and will be F2P within 5 months.
    Edit: beated by a minute. I feel bad. Of course, I spent 15 minutes disabling firefox extensions trying to pass that damn age verification screen, so not that bad. And your use of a video is much better.
    I think I spent 14 minutes browsing Arrested Development videos. :P

Aldo on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    It looks pretty, what's the system requirements like? I remember Vindictus was amazing in that department.

Checked their facebook page, this is what I got. They're pretty low.
    MINIMUM SPECS
    CPU: Pentium III 1.6 GHz
    RAM: 512 MB
    Hard Disk: Over 3 GB free space
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA 5700 / Radeon 9550
    DirectX: 9.0C or higher

RECOMMENDED SPECS
    CPU: Dual Core 2.0 or higher
    RAM: 1 GB or more
    Hard Disk: Over 4 GB free space
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA 7600 or higher
    DirectX: 9.0C or higher

Zandracon on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So what server's are people playing on in Eden Eternal.

This game is triggering my inner RO masochist.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So what server's are people playing on in Eden Eternal.

This game is triggering my inner RO masochist.
    I'm on Garnet.

And it's not nearly as cruel as RO*. It's way closer to ROSE, but with an extra layer or two of polish and less grinding early on.

*has a long list of abandoned toons that required more than hour of walking to get their corpses back.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Rolled up on Garnet, also, for some reason Clare was not taken so I am ALL over this shit.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Rolled up on Garnet, also, for some reason Clare was not taken so I am ALL over this shit.
    I'm Alds. I'm currently helping talking frogs in Rainbowfall Village. I just logged off after playing too much today.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Eden Eternal is surprisingly decent. They even do the cash shop fairly right, with level-scaling armor/weapons for sale that'll make gear irrelevant until you hit level 30 (and knowing Aeria we'll have big-spender events with purple-grade, infinitely scaling items soon enough).

Also if you want to be totally OP, make sure to use Archer for your current-level questing needs. It comes with a decent tanking pet and does Magician-like DPS, while also having more staying power due to lower mana usage and better armor.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    From playing the CB, yeah, Hunter is ridiculously overpowered for solo. You can kill two or three even or +1 level mobs simultaneously nonstop without breaking a sweat.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Anyone know how to block people on Eden? There is some serious gold farmer spam going on...

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Anyone know how to block people on Eden? There is some serious gold farmer spam going on...
    RMB on name in chat-->block.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I feel I have chosen the path of pain by deciding to go build a Templar(Warrior FIFTY, Cleric 55 I think).

But to hell with it imma TANK

Transporter on
This discussion has been closed.