As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Free MMO Überlist

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i got my rusty hearts beta key from the website
    signed up after getting a bunch of ads on facebook for it, didn't know the beta would be starting so soon

t pikapuff: you were clicking on a picture of a button. to get your beta key go to the bottom of the page.

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    brt, nah it was something else. but it finally worked.

anyhoo eden eternal started today and i'm playing it.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I put a few hours into Eden eternal.

It's pretty charming. Takes a lot of class design cues from WoW in a good way, pacing feels good, the art is a little cutesy but it's coherent and clean, the class changing system is interesting. Will see if it has lasting appeal or devolves into grind.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have been playing Eden Eternal now for almost three hours.

Its really pretty good. I am enjoying the switching of the classes, and the skill list for each is pretty cool as well.

There is a bit of lag on the servers, but that is to be expected, and it doesnt hinder too much.

The dungeons are weird a bit since the ones that I have done only allow three people in a party, which I find both pretty nice and pretty strange at the same time, I am wondering if the higher level dungeons require more party members or if three is the max until they somehow release "raids".

I havent decided to switch my class yet, and so far have stuck with Mages, I might try out the Hunter next just because I am a ranged DPS junky.

omega71 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    "LFG dungeon i can be any class" is always a plus

you should at least get all classes up to ten so you can use their cert in other classes. and catch up level is super fast

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aida Areas http://aida.gamerkraft.com/ MMO Arcade 2011 3D Hitherto no interesting features mentioned. Graphics: cute. Developer: Korean. My interest: uh...I think I forgot to put the kettle on.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Publius Aelius HadrianusPublius Aelius Hadrianus Permanently bland Seattle, Washington Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    omega71 wrote: »
    I have been playing Eden Eternal now for almost three hours.

Its really pretty good. I am enjoying the switching of the classes, and the skill list for each is pretty cool as well.

There is a bit of lag on the servers, but that is to be expected, and it doesnt hinder too much.

The dungeons are weird a bit since the ones that I have done only allow three people in a party, which I find both pretty nice and pretty strange at the same time, I am wondering if the higher level dungeons require more party members or if three is the max until they somehow release "raids".

I havent decided to switch my class yet, and so far have stuck with Mages, I might try out the Hunter next just because I am a ranged DPS junky.

Googled it. "By AERIA games"

*closes tab*

Publius Aelius Hadrianus on
    2dk9ta8.gif
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They're also putting out something that looks suspiciously like a Monster Hunter clone.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Publius Aelius HadrianusPublius Aelius Hadrianus Permanently bland Seattle, Washington Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I played DOMO and barely made enough money from drops to repair my equipment. Really fking stupid.

2dk9ta8.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    For the record: Aeria hosts a lot of quality titles and I have paid them money before for cash shop items.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    yeah i have like 4,700 left over from my horrible time with domo, the sexual harrassment simulator

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Finally, Vindictus is going to receive a European release.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also the next character is coming soon.

Vindictus getting these regular updates sets it apart. Good on them.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I want to swing a gigantic pillar around as a weapon.

I want to snatch certain bosses by the head and punch them across the fucking countryside.

I need this in my life. Bring on Karok.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Apparently I'm also in the Eden Eternal beta. But, meh.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    EE isn't bad, but it doesn't seem to like my GTX 495 Co-ops...

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also in Eden Eternal, it's a lot like Ether Saga Online, only with the free switching between classes. I'm willing to give it the benefit of doubt for the time being. It does help that it's oozing charm. I mean, after a few quests you already have a pug trailing behind you picking up your loot. And that's before you run into the talking bears and stuff.

--

I also tried to get Prius [not the car] Online working, but my gPotato account is borked, so I gave up.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Played some Eden Eternal for a while. Meh. Got to level ten, then quit out and uninstalled. Boring as hell. The "charm" quickly started grating my nerves. Being able to swap classes is kind of cool, but that means nothing when I don't want to play the game to begin with.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    i'm 36 of the max 40 for closed beta :|

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, level cap is very low.

I'm sorry dudes, but I'm still enjoying myself. I'm maining cleric, but switch to mage whenever player level=class level. I like the diversity this provides.

Aldo on
  • Options
    CelethangCelethang Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Also having a blast with Eden Eternal. True to my alt-itis ways, I pretty much switch around to every class, especially when one is much lower level than the others. It's a lot of fun.

Celethang on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aldo!

Name an MMO that was designed for and in the US, localized for Korea, then failed in the US, then relocalized from the Korean version to be played in the US... other than Hellgate: London.

For that matter, are there any US designed games that were localized to another country and then relocalized back to the US other than HG:L?

Are we treading in unfamiliar waters here?

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Aldo!

Name an MMO that was designed for and in the US, localized for Korea, then failed in the US, then relocalized from the Korean version to be played in the US... other than Hellgate: London.

For that matter, are there any US designed games that were localized to another country and then relocalized back to the US other than HG:L?

Are we treading in unfamiliar waters here?
    Uh, Mythos? Oh wait no, that game was loved by everyone in Beta, then Flagship went under, then it was picked up by the Koreans who took two years to remake it (even though the beta was already well underway) then in the meantime Torchlight was released, then the Koreans finally released it and now it's a piece of shit.

There's also Dungeon Runners, developed by NCSoft. Which was quite a decent game, but then it was pulled offline because NCSoft wanted to focus on "top tier" MMOs and was dissatisfied with the profit margins of Dungeon Runners.

HG:L is unique, though.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Celethang wrote: »
    Also having a blast with Eden Eternal. True to my alt-itis ways, I pretty much switch around to every class, especially when one is much lower level than the others. It's a lot of fun.

hit the CB cap of 40, most of my class levels are around 30. max in full version is 60 i think?

now I'm just trying to get my classes to 40, while the guild i'm in is grinding guild quests to get guild level three with opens up guild town creation. I guess there's a limit of 50 towns, and there's already about 10 guild towns since the 4 days the game has been up.

i'm having fun with the game.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Celethang wrote: »

hit the CB cap of 40, most of my class levels are around 30. max in full version is 60 i think?

now I'm just trying to get my classes to 40, while the guild i'm in is grinding guild quests to get guild level three with opens up guild town creation. I guess there's a limit of 50 towns, and there's already about 10 guild towns since the 4 days the game has been up.

i'm having fun with the game.

It's going to be way higher than 60 I bet. Have you zoomed out of the map? There are 3 continents and the level 60 zone is on the beginning continent. If it goes the path of R.O.S.E. and WOW there will be some other planet to go to as well. ROSE had like lvl 150+ so I bet it will be closer to that figure.

2dk9ta8.gif
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just tried Pirates of the Burning Sea again, now that it's free. Spent a good 2 hours respeccing and re-reading all my level 50 NO's ability descriptions. Sailed out of port with my one good ship, trying to escape the pvp zone so I could get some practice in on easy NPCs. Of course I wasn't so lucky. Some pirate attacked me, tried to outrun him, couldn't, spammed buttons, he boarded me, I actually defeated him in boarding combat but somehow the game didn't end with me victorious, and he was able to RE-board me, where he won, and of course it counted when he won. Promptly deleted the game. What a waste of my life.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Pirates of the Burning Sea made me long for an MMO where you could do Civilization-level building and trading, only the combat would be a combination of deep, RTS naval fighting and intricate, third-person hack 'n' slash stuff whenever your captain's ship is boarded. I'd pay a good bit of money for that. Oh, and hanging dudes or making them walk the plank would be cool, too. Maybe some ale here and there. Oh, and the wenches. DX11-powered wench physics is a sure sell.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I didn't want to touch POBS because I had to make an account with SOE. <_<

Aldo on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh yeah, this happened a week or so ago, but it looks like Nexon has announced that they're completely removing the token system from Vindictus. They're also doing something similar with Dungeon Fighter.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    NishuNishu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That actually seems to be a trend with a lot of games coming over to the NA market lately, nice to see really. I've heard of numerous f2p games doing this in the past few weeks.

It's largely a trivial thing for your average gamer who doesn't realistically hit those limits, but it's still good to see they're willing to make region-specific changes to accommodate a different community. Of course it'd be even better if all those games weren't massive grindfests, but I digress!

Nishu on
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Closed Beta of Eden Eternal will be ending this evening at 6pm PDT (Sunday) and soon the Open Beta will be started. Things coming with the launch of the OB are the increased level cap from 40 to 50 which will allow to new classes to be released. The Blade Dancer and Shaman, new dungeons for the levels 41-48 that will have parties of 5 (instead of the standard 3-man parties). Also new monster invasions for zones level 20+, they will attack town hubs in each of the zones.

Those of you already in the CB be sure to log on 3 hours prior the end for monster attacks on the main city as well as TRIPLE character/class experience, loot, gold, etc... which may stay in effect for the OB depending on feedback. And of course crazy GM shenanigans that always happens in these type of MMOs during the beta.

Tyberius on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I want to see the other 4 races in Eden...Also how do you make your armour look different? Seems when i equip something it doesnt show up on my character (God this game reminds me of RO.)

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I want to see the other 4 races in Eden...Also how do you make your armour look different? Seems when i equip something it doesnt show up on my character (God this game reminds me of RO.)
    You unlock other costumes, it seems. I haven't quite figured it out yet.

Aldo on
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes, every 10 class levels you unlock a new set of armor that your class can wear. For example when you start a Warrior or Mage you have your starter set of gear and at class level 10 you unlock a 2nd set, 20 you unlock a 3rd, etc... However as a Bard (which you unlock at character level 20) you don't get your second set of armor until class level 30, then 3rd at 40. You can change up the set you are wearing under the class tab of your skill window where you switch your class, it's the numbered buttons on the right side of your paper doll.

Tyberius on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tyberius wrote: »
    The Closed Beta of Eden Eternal will be ending this evening at 6pm PDT (Sunday) and soon the Open Beta will be started. Things coming with the launch of the OB are the increased level cap from 40 to 50 which will allow to new classes to be released. The Blade Dancer and Shaman, new dungeons for the levels 41-48 that will have parties of 5 (instead of the standard 3-man parties). Also new monster invasions for zones level 20+, they will attack town hubs in each of the zones.

Those of you already in the CB be sure to log on 3 hours prior the end for monster attacks on the main city as well as TRIPLE character/class experience, loot, gold, etc... which may stay in effect for the OB depending on feedback. And of course crazy GM shenanigans that always happens in these type of MMOs during the beta.
    yeah fuck that shit fuck you and fuck that alpaca you rode in on. I wanted the "all jobs to level 40" reward but that ain't happening anymore :(

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    You unlock other costumes, it seems. I haven't quite figured it out yet.
    It's shit. Every class wears the exact same class thing. If you get a hat it will add that classes' hat model. The "outfits" are just palette swaps, with a possible texture swap. If you got dyes and dyed all outfits the same color they wouldn't look different.

You can use cash shop items to overwrite a costume with a new model though. But, looks like the two released so far in closed beta were like old crappy mabinogi models.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nishu wrote: »
    That actually seems to be a trend with a lot of games coming over to the NA market lately, nice to see really. I've heard of numerous f2p games doing this in the past few weeks.

It's largely a trivial thing for your average gamer who doesn't realistically hit those limits, but it's still good to see they're willing to make region-specific changes to accommodate a different community. Of course it'd be even better if all those games weren't massive grindfests, but I digress!

dfo is amazing take it back take it back

the blitz system will totes rule

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    DFO is fun, but it does get fairly grindy. Not that this is a bad thing, considering the awesome combat and the suplexing/shooting/slicing/exorcising of mans.

I haven't managed to keep a very firm grip on Vindictus, though. Something about the grind in that one just kills my desire to play it. No idea why I don't attribute this sensation to DFO. Must be the aesthetic. I'm an absolute sucker for 2D brawlers, going all the way back to Streets of Rage and King of Dragons.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was super bored and saw an advertisement, so I decided to pop back in to MapleStory seeing as the last time I played it was back in ancient history. I'm surprised to say that it's evolved into a really decent sidescrolling game. They've added a plethora of classes, massively lessened the grind, increased drops of crucial items like healing potions and the new classes have quests that provide a very fast way to level and some of them are actually kinda interesting.

There's still plenty of grinding, but with the new damage system it doesn't feel as grindy. The American team has done a good job localizing it and even made some campy live action promos you can find on youtube.

I mean, at the end of the day it's still killing tons of incredibly cute monsters ad naseum, but the overall experience is looking really polished. The game has been out at least as long as WoW, and I'm surprised how much has been added to it. I doubt I'll play it past the next few weeks, but it was worth the download.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    going through withdrawals waiting for eden eternal to go ob. they said it would be this week i guess

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
This discussion has been closed.