As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: No killstreaks, Vector only, Final Destination. (Steam Group in OP)

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    alivatna wrote: »
    Another single-player campaign question!
    Okay, so for some reason I've yet to understand, Cpt. Price fires a nuke. Then, we cut to some astronaut just chillin in space while a full-scale invasion happens in America and a few seconds later--boom, the ISS is blown up and said astronaut dies.

Wait, what. Why did Price fire the nuke and why did it blow up the ISS?
    Price detonated the nuke in Earth's upper atmosphere in order to cause a huge Electromagnetic Pulse right above the main force of the Russian invasion in America, disabling all but their basic ground troops. Yes, it would hurt the American technology in the area, but as was pointed out earlier in this thread, we just have to bring in tanks and helicopters from a few states over, Russia has to bring them in from fucking Russia, so the EMP hurt them a lot more than it hurt us. Price's analogy was using a large explosion to remove the air and suffocate an oil fire.

The part with the ISS was just the most Michael-Baytastic way of showing the nuke going off. The ISS was a casualty, not the target. It was hit by the nuke's shockwave.

Stop spreading lies!
    There are no shock waves in space. They pretty much fucked up the physics on this one. The nuke detonated waaay too far away to actually blow away the space station.
    But it's a nuke. Nukes blow up everything ever

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    MrPhilMrPhil MrPhil Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Taranis wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Big surprise, all of the Army dialogue sounds unauthentic.

So who's hotter, Shakira or Biel

Seriously. It seems like they simply watched Generation Kill for research.

Is Generation Kill any good

Because I've been thinking of watching it

Even though I was an infantryman in the Army (and Generation Kill is about Marines), it is extremely realistic and accurately portrays an infantryman's experiences in combat. I haven't seen any other movie or TV series with that much authenticity. The only complaint I have about the series is that sometimes the actors wear their gear incorrectly, but everything else is spot on (even the way the radio beeps when they key up the hand mic accurately replicated). Some of the actors are the actual Marines that the book was based on.

It's definitely worth a watch.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    MrPhil wrote: »

Wasn't there that bastard of an airplane level?

Algertman on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    so, I abused myself all the way though vet

good god there were some horrendous missions

I don't think it's as bad as MW to be honest. There isn't that final level (which was an abomination on veteran) or the defense of that area in Russia (where you are waiting for the plane).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll be on at 1:45 am est or so for a few matches. Just an fyi.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

I don't think it's as bad as MW to be honest. There isn't that final level (which was an abomination on veteran) or the defense of that area in Russia (where you are waiting for the plane).

But there IS
    the bathroom in the gulag and the time-limited break in to the sub with Price.

pyromaniac221 on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Alright, I will make a mental note that anyone who has the advanced addons for pistols is fucking insane then.

No shit, man. I played some games earlier trying to get USP kills (I want to see that tactical knife too!) and fucking christ it's weaaak.

I wonder if it would be easier in hardcore TDM. Will try that next!

Captain K on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

But there IS

Neither were as mind warping difficult as the original.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, it was fun playing with my friends while it lasted. Now they do nothing but hardcore team deathmatch.

Which is great when you're on top of your game, but not when you're trying to actually have fun.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited November 2009

But there IS

Neither were as mind warping difficult as the original.

I also forgot
    Makarov's safehouse and Brazil

pyromaniac221 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

But there IS

Both are easy.
    The bathroom is trivial with claymores. Plant claymores on one side and step back. The riot shields progressively explode themselves on the claymores. Then run forwards and stick claymores behind you and one in front. Again, wait for the riotshield to blow himself up on the forward claymore. Move through one more room and drop down, wa-la and you're done. Claymores > all plus it gives you TEN of them. All you need to do is go through the hole in the bathroom and it's over. It's actually pretty straightforward if you keep advancing.

Same with the submarine part, so long as you keep advancing it's pretty straightforward. The real difference is you don't have infinite respawning enemies like the first game - but you still have the invisible line that your invincible allies will move up to. If you keep advancing the invincible allies take care of enemies or distract them easily.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    PhosPhos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I seem unable to find a way to make the game window mode but borderless. I could have sworn I saw it posted in one of the threads but not finding it.

It is possible right? I have it window mode currently but can't make it fill the screen (no not fullscreen).

Phos on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's really annoying that weapons that fire in a three round burst fire three rounds when you only click the mouse once.

Burst fire works just like full auto, except you're limited to three rounds.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I did end up picking this up on the relevant cheap (Less the EB!)

I must say I am completely unimpressed with the SP. It went from ok to AWESOME (snowmobile level) to extraordinarily frustrating in the span of the like hour and a half I was able to play.

That "controversy"
    I'm sorry this mission is stupid it feels so artificial and fake. Like they are TRYING to make you feel something but it comes across at least to me as eh. I mean maybe its just me but if your with a bunch of Russians who are killing Russians and it looks like you're wearing a god damn suit what the fuck do you think is going to happen?

That Brazil level is so terrible I'm sorry.

I did however boot up MP at a friends house and it was more fun that I thought it was going to be, which is a good thing.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    Insanity wrote: »
    What is your steam name? And do you play hardcore?
    Mostly I've been playing Demolition and Ground War, the weapon balance seems a bit skewed in hardcore. It's nice to get all the crap off your screen though.
    What do you mean skewed?

Everything kills you with one to two bullets, that's ultimate balance. The differences being in damage at distance and penetration.

Yeah, which makes the rapid fire weapons much more useful in HC. No point using the accurate high-damage weapons, because a spray with the P90 does the trick much better.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I have lost count of the number of times I have hit someone in hardcore and seen them survive, but I have never survived a bullet myself.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That first Brazil level: run through the first part. Honestly, the less time on veteran you spend in that shanty town at the start the better. You can take cover in buildings and such. Once you get to a certain point it will give you a checkpoint and it will become much easier.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I got by fine with a G3 in CoD4 HC. Of course, I only played S&D and was the campiest of camp. But it's all about the fun. 8-)

Hoz on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's really annoying that weapons that fire in a three round burst fire three rounds when you only click the mouse once.

Burst fire works just like full auto, except you're limited to three rounds.

The only game I've ever played that modeled this correctly is STALKER. I'm sure there's a handful of others, but it's certainly not something most players even know to look for.

I didn't, before I played STALKER. :P

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I wish games did that more not for authenticity's sake but just because it seems more fun.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That first Brazil level: run through the first part. Honestly, the less time on veteran you spend in that shanty town at the start the better. You can take cover in buildings and such. Once you get to a certain point it will give you a checkpoint and it will become much easier.

I'm only on hardened but I'm almost positive they haven't completely removed infinite respawns or if they did this spawn of enemies was stupid huge. I got stuck in this house and I couldn't leave because there was a massive amount of enemies constantly pouring in and taking shots. With the high accuracy they have I'd make it two steps outside then have to bolt it back in to not die. I kept getting checkpoints but it didn't matter cause I was stuck in a house.

I then go outside and a fucking civ runs infront of a fire fight and I fail the mission due to civ death. This happened twice.

And later in that there is a ridiculous amount of guys to shoot. Every time I kill a guy in a window a new one will pop in to take his place.

Its a little frustrating at times.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh I'm not denying you that level is utter shit. But keeping mobile and pushing forward constantly gets you through it much better than trying to camp somewhere and kill them.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's an allegory about how we can't kill all the muslins.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh I'm not denying you that level is utter shit. But keeping mobile and pushing forward constantly gets you through it much better than trying to camp somewhere and kill them.

Sorry I just had this argument with my friend who defends everything in this game as the best of the best so I was a little on edge.

I'll keep this in mind when I get around to having free time again.

EDIT: I like to think I'm the Plato of anti-terrorist.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hah 16:9, 6 of the kills by knife.

I love throwing knives.

Edit: I love Highrise. It's the MW2 equivalent of Facing Worlds, and that's just peachy.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I wish games did that more not for authenticity's sake but just because it seems more fun.

I find it annoying simply because I'd rather only fire a single round at a time in most cases, and the game forces me to waste rounds.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

So you're saying the comparison of the game to transformers is accurate?
    "Have your crew step out of the chopper or WE WILL KILL YOU.”

Really though, I've yet to see a game with authentic sounding army dialogue (hell, movies are just as bad).

Sanders on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Longest 15 minutes ever... hurry up steam!! D:

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Damn it i'm getting antsy waiting on amazon so i've been playing CoD4 all night (instead of doing my project whoops) and first things first, after not playing in a long time I was absolutely shit the first couple rounds. Started a new profile so it was a little awkward at first and I don't think it's fair to get yelled at for the grenade launcher (I used it ONE time in a tactical way... not firing my grenades and purposely dying so i can just fire more grenades) when it's part of one of the two useful layouts you can use when you start at lv 1. It took a little while to get used to iron sights again though but damn do i love the m16.

is it still burst in the new game? I pretty much suck with spray and pray guns anymore since I started using the m16 in 4

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    They are really holding firm to Activision's "Digital Distribution Policy".

Hoz on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I find it annoying simply because I'd rather only fire a single round at a time in most cases, and the game forces me to waste rounds.

CoD1 & CoD2 had fire-select.

Then they took it out D:

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sanders wrote: »

I don't know about that line, but I will give Michael Bay in the segment where they coordinate the attack on Scorpinok that they used a real crew of that airplane. All they did was tell them they had a target and then filmed them, all the chatter between the crew of the plane is 100% authentic. They did what they would normally do when they had any other target information given to them.

Sometimes Michael Bay does get it right and his coordination with the military is a hallmark of his movies.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Pajama_Man wrote: »

Then they took it out D:

Call of duty has gotten more "arcadey" with each iteration. It's depressing that most games these days are following that trend.

Sanders wrote: »

I don't know about that line, but I will give Michael Bay in the segment where they coordinate the attack on Scorpinok that they used a real crew of that airplane. All they did was tell them they had a target and then filmed them, all the chatter between the crew of the plane is 100% authentic. They did what they would normally do when they had any other target information given to them.

Sometimes Michael Bay does get it right and his coordination with the military is a hallmark of his movies.

Yeah, the dialogue in Transformers wasn't as bad as it is in most movies.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    My pre-load just went down the drain. What the hell?

Hoz on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dude, double-click it and it'll start decrypting. It did not go down the drain. :-)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh man, I was scared I would have to wait like one more hour. Doomsday scenario right there.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    My friend and I were on an elevator today. Among its passengers was a kid about ten years old. The bell chimed and right when the door was about to open, my friend turned to the kid and whispered "No Russian." The kid nodded extremely seriously.

My friend laughed for ten minutes afterward

pyromaniac221 on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hoooooly shit, the Striker. I'll never use the AA-12 again. This thing is a goddamned cannon.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Pajama_Man wrote: »

Then they took it out D:

It's not balanced for fire-select.

Raiden333 on