Options

From Japan to America

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There was also Langrisser on the Genesis being renamed Warsong in the US, and all the artwork being changed.

Also, in Tekken 2(I think) in Nina's ending she came upon her sister sunbathing, and in the Japanese version took Anna's bikini top off. In the US version she just dumped water on her or something.

Also, for Soul Edge in the opening movie where Sophitia is in the water and meeting Posiden, in the original her clothes are wet and pretty much see through, and in the US version, her clothing is thick and covers her completely.

Then there's the fact that Soul Edge was renamed as well.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Half-Life Counterstrike was turned into some kind of 'Power Rangers Power Hour' for Japanese gamers.They replaced the terrorists with helmeted teens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-Strike_Neo

The ridiculousness of a futuristic cyborg wielding an AK47 cannot be overstated. What, they ran over budget giving you the helmet?

Also, they made a Japanese visual novel for the game. Yes really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaatAvdVIAY

What the hell

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hahah, wow. That video for Counterstrike has me cracking up.

slash000 on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Castlevania 3:

Version differences

Besides just the different name in Japan, Akumajō Densetsu, the Japanese version has several other differences:

* Instead of using a stabbing dagger, Grant throws daggers as his main attack.
    * In the North American and European versions, each enemy takes away the same amount of energy when the player is hit. But as the game progresses, damage taken from enemies increases (capping off at 4/5 bars, depending on the player character, in the North American version, and 3/4 bars in the European version), Instead, in the Japanese game, each enemy takes a different amount of energy away from the player. Many fans believe this factor makes the Japanese version easier.
    * On the final stage, if the player dies while fighting Dracula, instead of starting back at the level's second section, the player begins right outside of Dracula's keep (as in the original Castlevania). This is another factor said to make the Japanese version easier.
    * The game's font is different between versions, with the Japanese version using the same font as the original Castlevania--a standard video-game font used in many other old games--and the western versions using a Gothic-style font (with some similarities).
    * Medusa has female breasts in the Japanese game which were altered in the North American and European releases to resemble a more masculine chest. The female statues in stage 8 are partially nude in the Japanese version. The statues were clothed for the North American and European releases.
    * The flea men in the Japanese game are hopping gremlin creatures.
    * Several enemies are colored differently, have altered sprites, or have slightly different attack patterns, including the zombies in the first stage.
    * Several stages have different color palettes than the Japanese version.
    * The original Japanese version contained a specialized "VRC6" music microprocessor chip which was removed in the North American and European releases. This chip added two extra pulse-wave channels and a saw-wave channel to the system's initial set of five channels. The majority of the music combines the channels to imitate the sound of a synthesized string section. See: Multi-Memory Controller. The reason for this removal was that the western versions of the NES didn't have the ability to support external sound chips, so the game was re-programmed for the western releases. Some of the percussion instruments were also slightly changed, even though the low-quality PCM channel was no less capable without the VRC6 mapper.
    * The Japanese version had slightly better graphics than the North American version. The backgrounds in many stages had special effects not seen in the North American and European releases, also due to the lack of the special mapper chip found in the Japanese cartridge (which was manufactured not by Nintendo, but by Konami itself).
    * Like Simon's Quest before it, religious imagery once again appears uncensored in the North American and PAL versions. The only difference is that the cross in the opening scene has bursts of rays around it in the Japanese version.
    * In the Japanese version, Trevor Belmont is named Ralph Belmondo.
    * In Stage 9, the background music "Riddle" repeats its first section once in the Japanese version.
    * The North American and PAL versions have several hidden features that can be accessed by entering a certain name for the player, which include starting the game with 10 lives as well as when restarting after a game over, the option to start the game with any of the three spirit partners, and to access the second, more difficult quest. These features are not present in the Japanese version.

Super Castlevania 4:

Version differences

The American and European localizations of the game contain some differences from the original Japanese version, which like most games in the series, is called Akumajō Dracula.

In the Japanese version of the game, there were crosses on top of some of the tombstones in the introduction. This was removed for the American and PAL localizations to avoid religious controversies. The misspelled name "Dracura" (a case of Engrish) is also clearly written (in Roman letters) on the tombstone in the Japanese version; this was replaced with an unreadable smudge in the Western versions.

As with many games on the Super NES, there were censorship issues as well. The statues in Stage 6, which were originally topless, were redrawn wearing tunics. Blood dripping from the ceilings as well as pools of blood in Stage 8 were re-colored from red to green, effectively turning it into slime or acid, and blood dripped from the opening logo in the Japanese version of the game which resembled the original Akumajō Dracula title screen from the Famicom Disk System.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In regards to the Tekken alternate ending:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux1CX5xGug8&NR=1

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ha, it used to be they toned down the violence for the American audiences but now they're toning the violence down for the Japanese.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm going to be honest

Visual novel aside, Counter-Strike Neo sounds awesome

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Arcibi wrote: »
    I'm going to be honest

Then the terrorists have truly won. CS: Neo sounds like a travesty.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm going to be honest

Well, it sounds awesome on paper

As noted above, cyborgs using AK-47s is pretty ridiculous

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm going to be honest

i can think of a cyborg that would use an ak-47
    terminator_two_judgement_day.jpg

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    korodullin wrote: »
    The Professor Layton games have some puzzles entirely removed. They've either replaced them with entirely new puzzles or just pulled some from its successor. It's probably one of the reasons why they've taken so long to localise.

I'd heard that Zell's love of hotdogs wasn't actually hotdogs in the Japanese version but I've no clue if that's actually true. Can anyone verify what it was?

Bread.

I am not kidding.

Speaking of Americanized food changes, I know in the Western Phoenix Wrights, Maya loves hamburgers instead of ramen. There's a small impasse when in game four, a murder takes place near a noodle stand and the guy talks about how Phoenix and Maya always used to hang out around his stand.

Also, Dr. Hotti makes a rape joke at Pearl in the Japanese game. Here, he's just generally creepy.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm going to be honest

See NeoTokyo

The US version of R-Type 2 on the SNES had it's difficulty boosted 200%, by a small error of removing the mid level checkpoints, thus making it one of the hardest shooters ever

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Professor Layton games have some puzzles entirely removed. They've either replaced them with entirely new puzzles or just pulled some from its successor. It's probably one of the reasons why they've taken so long to localise.

I'd heard that Zell's love of hotdogs wasn't actually hotdogs in the Japanese version but I've no clue if that's actually true. Can anyone verify what it was?

Bread.

I am not kidding.

Speaking of Americanized food changes, I know in the Western Phoenix Wrights, Maya loves hamburgers instead of ramen. There's a small impasse when in game four, a murder takes place near a noodle stand and the guy talks about how Phoenix and Maya always used to hang out around his stand.

Also, Dr. Hotti makes a rape joke at Pearl in the Japanese game. Here, he's just generally creepy.

Well, they still leave in Larry making a pass at her... And the search for the magical panties. Leave the weird psychotic stuff out of my wholesome murders Japan!

Bioptic on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Contra: Hard Corps (aka the best Genesis title out there).

Japanese version of the game had both life and energy systems (tok three hits to lose a life, and you had several lives to boot). US version had only lives, so bullets instantaneously killed you, making this challenging game... very hard. Also in the European version of the game, everyone was turned to robots, as usual.

muninn on
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I believe crosses and such were removed from La Pucelle Tactics in the American release. Also one of the characters smokes religiously and they left those animations in, but they removed the cigarette from his hand.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Bread.

I am not kidding.

Food changes and stuff like this was discussed on an episode of Retronauts, where they had a localization dude from Atlus on as a guest. The episode was about Persona, but if you're interested in localization in general it's a good episode. It's the Dec 10/08 episode, number 61.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I believe crosses and such were removed from La Pucelle Tactics in the American release. Also one of the characters smokes religiously and they left those animations in, but they removed the cigarette from his hand.

The censorship in La Pucelle was so poorly-done and jarring that it actually contributed to me never finishing the game.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Japanese Counter-Strike getting the anime-show treatment is fucking hilarious.

Over here it's just BOOM HEADSHOT.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In the American release of Metal Gear Solid 2, they cut out the scene where Arsenal Gear crashes into New York. This was right after the World Trade Center attacks on 9/11, so they decided to cut the scene out. Made the game a little jarring when in one scene, you're under water inside Arsenal Gear, and the next, you're fighting Solidus on top of a building.

I think they added the scene back in for the European release.

Halibut on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Halibut wrote: »
    In the American release of Metal Gear Solid 2, they cut out the scene where Arsenal Gear crashes into New York. This was right after the World Trade Center attacks on 9/11, so they decided to cut the scene out. Made the game a little jarring when in one scene, you're under water inside Arsenal Gear, and the next, you're fighting Solidus on top of a building.

So many things made that last minute jump to not show the towers or things happening to New York. I was willing to forgive it for the most part, and in MGS2's case, it's not exactly that jarring. You know where Arsenal Gear is anyway, and when you see it post-crash, there's a logical conclusion to be had.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    SpiderMan 2 was another game changed due to 9/11
    The original version of the game was pulled after the September 11, 2001 attacks to change the final battle. Originally the battle was atop the North Tower of the World Trade Center, but since the towers were destroyed on September 11, the game was re-released with a different ending. Originally, Electro shouted "Top of the world man!" as he departed his battle with Spider-Man for the towers, giving Spidey the clue he needed to track him down for the final boss battle, but in the re-released game, he just happens to guess correctly. At the end of the video game, The Mighty Thor is credited with defeating Electro in the final battle. This is because Thor was supposed to appear in a video segment in the video game where he talks with Spider-Man shortly after he has defeated Hyper-Electro, thus giving Thor the credit with Electro's defeat in the Daily Bugle newspaper. This was removed because the game's original ending takes place atop the World Trade Center towers when the game was being developed and it was removed because of the towers' destruction on 11 September 2001.[1] In addition several levels were renamed to account for the September 11 destruction.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Really? I thought the scenes were never even finished and totally scrapped after 9/11?
    There were some sketches and what not on a bonus DVD if that's what you're thinking of.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

You should see how they tried to popularise Half Life 2 in the Japanese market. Japan's not big on FPS's, but they still have a fairly lively arcade scene. Soooooo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbF0ooRJWkI

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

So many things made that last minute jump to not show the towers or things happening to New York. I was willing to forgive it for the most part, and in MGS2's case, it's not exactly that jarring. You know where Arsenal Gear is anyway, and when you see it post-crash, there's a logical conclusion to be had.

I agree that you can make a logical conclusion, but we're talking about a game (and series) where every piece of story and plot is explained through meticulously-crafted and lengthy cut scenes. MGS2 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I totally understand why they did it (even if I don't agree with it), but that one missing scene was definitely jarring. It took me out of the game at a point that should have been totally engrossing.

Halibut on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Really? I thought the scenes were never even finished and totally scrapped after 9/11?
    There were some sketches and what not on a bonus DVD if that's what you're thinking of.

You're probably right. For some reason, I thought it was only the US that they cut it out of, but that was a long time ago and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Halibut on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    subedii wrote: »

You should see how they tried to popularise Half Life 2 in the Japanese market. Japan's not big on FPS's, but they still have a fairly lively arcade scene. Soooooo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbF0ooRJWkI

I've hear about that before, but never seen video of it. I know I've played HL2 a lot when I know for sure that there aren't enemies in those spots in the first part of the video.

Peewi on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The censorship in La Pucelle was so poorly-done and jarring that it actually contributed to me never finishing the game.

Yeah, what a kick in the teeth that was. Disgaea becomes a runaway hit, and people start hearing murmurings about how there was a sort of spiritual prequel...

Only for some no-name crap developer to swoop in and grab it before Atlus or N-1. No doubt in an obvious attempt to cash in on Disgaea's success. And you know if they had got to it, it would have been wonderfully uncensored.

Such a pity, that.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Wait, tell me more about La Pucelle and the censorship. I mean, I stopped playing the game anyhow because it didn't seem to be on par with Disgaea. But I want to know why I didn't miss.

Henroid on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wait, tell me more about La Pucelle and the censorship. I mean, I stopped playing the game anyhow because it didn't seem to be on par with Disgaea. But I want to know why I didn't miss.

That's a shame, it has the best story of all the NIS strategy games, even with the edited localization. It also had a really good dub.
    However, La Pucelle didn't make it to America without a few alternations. Newcomer Mastiff Games didn't want a controversy on its hands with all of the religious imagery, so they took out all of the crosses (including the ones on the character's costumes), and ditched the cigarettes while they were at it. While these cuts were completely unnecessary it doesn't really detract from the game. In 2004, La Pucelle was re-released in Japan, adding a sound test, a New Game+ features, and a few extra boss battles. This "director's cut" was the version released in Europe by Koei.

http://hardcoregaming101.net/nipponichi/nipponichi.htm

Anyway, here's one of the most infamous:

This-

shiki1jpps2.jpg

Became this

mlf2a.jpg

XS Games removed all the character art and dialogue as well.

They also localized the sequel, and didn't remove anything, but the quality of the localization...

That's questionable.

Visual evidence
    Dangerous wrote: »
    The Ranma 1/2 fighting game for SNES was released here as STREET COMBAT! and had all the characters replaced by cyborgs and other stupid shit.

Foto+Ranma+12+Chounai+Gekitou-hen+(Japon%E9s).jpg

streetcombatbridge022808.gif

Fortunately, only one of them was.

Hard Battle made it to the states mostly untouched, somehow.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I disagree with removal of those things not mattering much. I mean, even if they aren't plot relevant, it's a part of the designers' vision and I want to see that. I'm also sensitive on aesthetics (admittedly mostly regarding color use / balance), so if the removal of any crosses leaves blank areas blatent enough to notice, I'll be frowning.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd totally pump quarters into that Half-Life arcade game.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    SpiderMan 2 was another game changed due to 9/11
    The original version of the game was pulled after the September 11, 2001 attacks to change the final battle. Originally the battle was atop the North Tower of the World Trade Center, but since the towers were destroyed on September 11, the game was re-released with a different ending. Originally, Electro shouted "Top of the world man!" as he departed his battle with Spider-Man for the towers, giving Spidey the clue he needed to track him down for the final boss battle, but in the re-released game, he just happens to guess correctly. At the end of the video game, The Mighty Thor is credited with defeating Electro in the final battle. This is because Thor was supposed to appear in a video segment in the video game where he talks with Spider-Man shortly after he has defeated Hyper-Electro, thus giving Thor the credit with Electro's defeat in the Daily Bugle newspaper. This was removed because the game's original ending takes place atop the World Trade Center towers when the game was being developed and it was removed because of the towers' destruction on 11 September 2001.[1] In addition several levels were renamed to account for the September 11 destruction.

Man, Propeller Arena for the Dreamcast looked good, too.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also, Screwattack did a bit on Die Hard Arcade, covering the point that the original Japanese version had nothing to do with the Die Hard franchise.

Also, why is M. Bison called Vega in Japan? Vega means a kind of plain in Spanish so it makes sense that the Spaniard had a Spanish word for a name. Hell, calling Balrog Vega would make more sense because Balrog fights in Las Vegas.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "I like girls. But now it's about justice!"

Awesome. I think I'll try using that as a pick up line.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also, Screwattack did a bit on Die Hard Arcade, covering the point that the original Japanese version had nothing to do with the Die Hard franchise.

Also, why is M. Bison called Vega in Japan? Vega means a kind of plain in Spanish so it makes sense that the Spaniard had a Spanish word for a name. Hell, calling Balrog Vega would make more sense because Balrog fights in Las Vegas.

M. Bison, Vega, and Balrog all did name swaps when they came out of Japan. The boxer was supposed to be Mike Bison, and I think the army general was going to be one of the other two names. Coming to America, they had to change the name as to avoid problems with Mike Tyson.

Also, that Die Hard game was fun, but yeah, it was I think a Dynamite Cop game in Japan. When it came to America the company slapped an unrelated license onto it.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In japan, the dictator's name is Vega, the boxer's name is Mike Bison, and the claw's name is Balrog.

They indeed change dictator to M.Bison, boxer to Balrog, and claw to Vega for the US, because of avoiding issues with re: Mike Tyson.

The Japanese names are still used like this in Japan.

So when talking about street fighter online, you have people who have the Japanese versions and people with the other versions, so everyone calls Bison "Dictator," calls vega "Claw," and calls Bison "Boxer" to avoid confusion.

Speaking of Japanese name changes in SF, they changed the name "Gouki" to "Akuma" when they brought it to the US. They did this because Capcom in the US was intent on accentuating Akuma's evil nature, by calling him Akuma which means "devil."

Also, they changed the Alpha series from "Street Fighter Zero" (Japan) to "Street Fighter Alpha."

Incidentally the title "Street Fighter Zero" doesn't make any sense, because it implies that the events of the games take place BEFORE street fighter 1, but actually, they take place AFTER street fighter 1. Which is why I think, partially, they made it Alpha for the western release, which makes more sense at least than Zero.

slash000 on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, Propeller Arena for the Dreamcast looked good, too.

Propeller Arena was leaked, presumably by a member of the development team. It is awesome. Four player splitscreen makes it one of the DC's best party games.

One of the levels is called "Tower City", and it's full of skyscrapers. If you crash into one, they don't come down or anything (there is just a small explosion from your plane), but I can still see how that could cause a ruckus.

Maybe with the rumors floating around of DC games being released on PSN in the future it may make an appearance. I've got my fingers crossed.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How about suikoden's boxart:

suikodenpackaging01.jpg w413.png

411f8.jpg

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/13/50-worst-moments-in-video_n_357102.html

Yes, there were some doozies. I imagine American games dubbed in Japanese sound better in general since voice actors are of a better quality over there.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Lepwave wrote: »
    How about suikoden's boxart:

My copy of Suiko1 has the Japanese art on a black background. I've never seen that Western art before.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png