As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The old Fox Animation thread: time for a new one.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    In case anyone cares, today only Amazon is selling ANY season set of the Simpsons for 14 bucks. Even the new ones.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox

Too bad I already own the good ones.

NERD FIGHT, START

It took 12 minutes for this kind of comment to pop up?

You're slipping, thread.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    In case anyone cares, today only Amazon is selling ANY season set of the Simpsons for 14 bucks. Even the new ones.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox

Too bad I already own the good ones.

NERD FIGHT, START

Yeah... got those already. On the plus side Freakazoid is on sale!

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have to be completely honest here: I think The Cleveland show is worse than Sit down shut up.
    But it's very hard to imagine anything is worst than Sit Down Shut Up.

I thought so too, at first. The jokes are so unbelievably forced it's amazing anyone finds this even remotely humorous. The ONLY thing keeping it from getting canned is FOX's current man-crush for Seth.

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have to be completely honest here: I think The Cleveland show is worse than Sit down shut up.

I cannot disagree because I have not seen any of The Cleveland Show. Not one single episode. But it's very hard to imagine anything is worst than Sit Down Shut Up.

I thought so too. The ONLY thing keeping it from getting canned is FOX's current man-crush for Seth.

It does better then American Dad.

ALWAYS. It ALWAYS does better then American Dad. And frankly, if American Dad is only on the air because of the Seth-love, then more power to it. Because this last episode of American Dad was amazing.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    American Dad tied The Cleveland Show's 18-49 ratings last Sunday, despite being in the far shittier timeslot. Hopefully this is good news about AD's future.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Cleveland Show does get higher ratings than American Dad, somehow.

edit: Beat SO HARD

jackisreal on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sentry wrote: »

I cannot disagree because I have not seen any of The Cleveland Show. Not one single episode. But it's very hard to imagine anything is worst than Sit Down Shut Up.

I thought so too. The ONLY thing keeping it from getting canned is FOX's current man-crush for Seth.

The one, great cosmic injustice in this world :cry:

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Broadcasters hate shows that have the acronym AD. Look it up.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DanHibiki wrote: »

That preview image alone makes me never ever want to watch that show.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Then you will be missing out, son.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well The Cleveland Show was between The Simpsons and Family Guy, so it's not really surprising that it has higher ratings than American Dad considering how it was hammocked. Now it probably doesn't have much of a boost being between Bob's Burgers and reruns of Family Guy.

Also nice find on the Amazon deal. I only had season 2, now I have seasons 1 & 3-8 ordered. I was thinking about getting 9 and 10, but looking over the list there weren't any episodes that I absolutely hated but there also weren't any that I felt I'd really watch again.

Invisible on
  • Options
    JAKJAK Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

So now you've missed out on a brilliant show because you've judged it from an out-of-context frame that is actually from behind the scenes and not the show itself.

JAK on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Not to mention Mrs. Featherbottom is hilarious.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    JAK wrote: »

So now you've missed out on a brilliant show because you've judged it from an out-of-context frame that is actually from behind the scenes and not the show itself.

He does that a lot.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just watched all three Bob's Burgers.

IT SHALL TAKE ITS RIGHTFUL PLACE ON MY DVR.

Tastes so good.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So in the next new Simpson's episode Marge discovers her "first gray hair."

<nerd voice>However in episode 12F0 Homer states:

Homer: I was telling Marge we could save some money if she only dyed her hair once a month.
    Edna: [gasps] Marge dyes her hair?
    Homer: Oh, yeah. She's been as gray as a mule since she was seventeen.

DOUG
    Hi. Question for Ms. Bellamy. In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a... (sniggering) magic xylophone or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Invisible on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Easy: The Marge that was gray since she was 17 was the one that was a teenager in the 70's, the Marge that's getting her first gray hair now is the other one who was in her 20's in the 90's.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    American Dad wins for out of the blue black friend appearance and references to War Games.

Bob's Burgers is scoring points for making fun of Capoiera.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bob Burgers is so fucking weird.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I missed American Dad, somewhat enjoyed the Simpsons, and thoroughly disinterested in Bob's Burgers.

I mean, Jesus, the kids in Bob's Burgers are thoroughly annoying and unfunny. The dad is the only one that is even remotely entertaining.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't get the hate for Bob's Burgers. It's the 2nd best animated show they currently have (AD being first, obviously).

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ponytail!

Brazil!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't get the hate for Bob's Burgers. It's the 2nd best animated show they currently have (AD being first, obviously).

I...disagree!

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I...disagree!

Well, that's just like... your opinion, man!

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Man 1: "I like you and have no reason not to!"
    Man 2: "I like you and have no reason not to!"
    Man 3: "Hey, did you guys here about that baby in Bethlehem?"
    *everyone pulls out swords and kills each other*

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh look, Family Guy is copying both South Park and Simpsons.

One frowny face :(

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Oh look, Family Guy is copying both South Park and Simpsons.

One frowny face :(

Did those shows have a 5+ minute song and dance sequence?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    *Ignore This Post*

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That was so much crap. The song would have worked as a show tune buy doesn't work in a normal comedy. The religion joke was so goddamn stupid.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Another show that doesn't understand how alcoholism works.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholism
    Rationing and moderation programs such as Moderation Management and DrinkWise do not mandate complete abstinence. While most alcoholics are unable to limit their drinking in this way, some return to moderate drinking. A 2002 U.S. study by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) showed that 17.7 percent of individuals diagnosed as alcohol dependent more than one year prior returned to low-risk drinking. This group, however, showed fewer initial symptoms of dependency.[101] A follow-up study, using the same subjects that were judged to be in remission in 2001–2002, examined the rates of return to problem drinking in 2004–2005. The study found abstinence from alcohol was the most stable form of remission for recovering alcoholics.[102] A long-term (60 year) follow-up of two groups of alcoholic men concluded that "return to controlled drinking rarely persisted for much more than a decade without relapse or evolution into abstinence."[103]

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's one of those things where just because AA has roots in is religion, McFarlane had to be against it. It's like a teenager rebelling for no reason.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok, just have to say that this Simpsons is pretty fucking funny so far. The kid's freakout over the realization of their hairstyles had me laughing so hard. Patty and Selma's real hair colors revealed. Though I will say that the premise of the hair plot is unbelievable - there's no way a gay hairstylist would let Marge walk out of his salon with traditional bee-hive style au-natural. Grey/silver hair looks best cut short or lain down. :p

Would mention American Dad's greatness but it's pretty much a given so far.

Bob's Burgers - continued streak of funny. YOU'RE DEAD TO THIS FAMILY!!!

Family Guy - awful, with the exception of the opening scene and the one cut-away gag involving the water slide, which was actually executed without completely describing and giving away the entire joke in the set-up. 5 minute musical number was mind numbing and pretty much everything else about the episode was terrible.

Cleveland Show - Hilarious. Final joke kinda makes you wonder if they imagined the entire episode just to fit in that one line.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I finally watched Bob's Burgers. It's not awful, but I have a feeling it's something that would do better on AS. It's just got that quirky humor that would probably benefit from a more relaxed rule set.

American Dad was great, of course. Family Guy was forgettable. The Cleveland Show, I liked it more than Family Guy, but it's still basically Family Guy but black!

The Simpsons managed to avoid a lot of the pitfalls it usually has, but I really don't get their infatuation with Moe. How many more Moe-based episodes are we going to have to sit through? Dear producers/writers, Moe isn't funny, we get it, his life sucks and he's ugly.

Invisible on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's the thing that always struck me about how they portray Moe. He's supposed to be hideous, but unless he's actively trying(ie: making huge, awkward smiles) I've never seen the ugly.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's what's on the inside that counts, and what's inside Moe is horrible.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    That was so much crap. The song would have worked as a show tune buy doesn't work in a normal comedy. The religion joke was so goddamn stupid.

McFarlane's 2 main shows (along with that live-action special) are little more than fart-laden vehicles for his Broadway aspirations, even during the original FG run.

Anyone who doesn't like AD can Eat... My... BOWLS!

The audience getting grossed out as Stan and Roger made out.
    Stan calling Roger as the acting coach.
    We had a black friend!
    Oh God I wanted to learn how to swim!
    I've been taking Psych 101 for 3 days, so I understand everything about how the world works.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That was the first Bob's Burgers I've ever seen, and I really liked it.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Invisible wrote: »
    The Simpsons managed to avoid a lot of the pitfalls it usually has, but I really don't get their infatuation with Moe. How many more Moe-based episodes are we going to have to sit through? Dear producers/writers, Moe isn't funny, we get it, his life sucks and he's ugly.

Producer #1 - *looks at fans through glass* "The fans look unhappy."
    Producer #2 - "Add more Moes."
    Producer #1 - *pulls lever on wall*

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    According to Entertainment Weekly, next episode's Cleveland Show features Justin Timberlake in two roles, 1) a gay man who gets into a relationship with Terry (apparently he's been gay the whole time!), and 2) a singing booger.

Erm, yay?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm finally getting to watch American Dad now.

Steve: "How's that general psychology class going for you?"
    Hayley: "It's only day three, but I understand how the whole world works now."

Stan: "While your off auditioning for your little plays do you know where I am?"
    Roger: "Jerkin' it?"

Snot: "Maybe we are too old for sleepovers. We're not kids anymore."
    Barry: "There's a person inside Big Bird!"

Stan: "Water?"
    Mobster: "What did you say?"
    Stan: "Water?"
    Mobster: "You're offering me water, but somehow I don't believe you...IT'S AN AMBUSH!!!"

Stan: "I'm not an actor like you. How did you get to be so good?"
    Roger: "I had a great teacher. You should look him up."
    *Roger hands Stan a business card*
    Stan: "'Erwin Byer, Jr. Acting Coach.' ...This is you, isn't it? I'm gonna get down there and it's gonna be you."
    Roger: "There's a strong possibility."

Hexmage-PA on