Options

[Video Game Podcasts] - New 'Out of the Game' is actually.. out?

• Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think anyone here listens to In This Thread over at 1up, but Ray Barnholdt and others were laid off at 1up and UGO. I guess the silver lining is that Retronauts was ended on their own decision.

Musan on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's been depressing watching 1up slowly collapse over the past 2 years.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I stopped listening to ITT a while ago, but wow, that is sad. That place is a firing factory. It seems like they hire a few dozen folks right out of college and then fire anyone who has been there over a year (minus Jeremy).

It is like neverland except if you grow up, you get fired.

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Apparently Richard Li also got laid off, and he's been there a long time.

SteevL on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    I stopped listening to ITT a while ago, but wow, that is sad. That place is a firing factory. It seems like they hire a few dozen folks right out of college and then fire anyone who has been there over a year (minus Jeremy).

I'm surprised Jeremy hasn't left yet. He's going to be the only one left soon, and I'm sure he could easily find a job somewhere else. Maybe he's comfortable and doesn't want the stress of a new job or something like that, but he's gotta be worried for his job safety when everyone around him is getting canned.

elevature on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »

So many industries are like this, relying on fresh meat that's willing to do anything for nothing in order to get the foot in the door. Hollywood, for example, is practically based on free labor.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Weekend Confirmed is fine, just skip past all the hip hop segments.

Zek on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Musan wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here listens to In This Thread over at 1up, but Ray Barnholdt and others were laid off at 1up and UGO. I guess the silver lining is that Retronauts was ended on their own decision.

The new episode of ITT lists Ray... did he finish the podcast before getting the pink slip?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Musan wrote: »

The new episode of ITT lists Ray... did he finish the podcast before getting the pink slip?

Yes.
    Still got one last ITT podcast! http://j.mp/b5pjoN Not the strongest ep, but it has my new favorite stinger.

SteevL on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh man, not Ray.

Frank and Jeremy are the only ones I like that are left.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In light of the new Star Wars rumors, is there a podcast that might discuss the series up to now, what could work with a new trilogy, and what couldn't? I'd be interested in hearing a group discuss stuff like Lucas' uncredited assistance with the original Trilogy, some of the best and worst outside SW stuff, etc.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just curious. Anyone that signed up for the year thing with Giantbomb where you get the shirt. Have any of you guys actually gotten it yet? I subbed first day and I still have not gotten it yet.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just curious. Anyone that signed up for the year thing with Giantbomb where you get the shirt. Have any of you guys actually gotten it yet? I subbed first day and I still have not gotten it yet.

I did, and I got my shirt last week.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Signed up day one as well, and I haven't received my shirt. People have definitely received them though.

SteevL on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I signed up for it. You might want to check with @Riezner on Twitter. He's the guy at Whiskey handling all the shirts, I think. He put a call out the other day to be emailed if we were expecting a shirt and had not gotten one yet (like Jeff Gerstmann, which is kinda funny)

Apparently, mine was one of a few orders that just never went through, so he just put it in a new one for me

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I signed up for it. You might want to check with @Riezner on Twitter. He's the guy at Whiskey handling all the shirts, I think. He put a call out the other day to be emailed if we were expecting a shirt and had not gotten one yet (like Jeff Gerstmann, which is kinda funny)

Apparently, mine was one of a few orders that just never went through, so he just put it in a new one for me

Just e-mailed him now, thanks. Best to make sure they still have my order and whatnot.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I signed up day one and got my shirt about 2 weeks ago. Wearing it right now, in fact.

Ceno on
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I e-mailed the WhiskeyMedia site, and was told that they were backordered on shirts, so it may take another couple weeks for it to ship to me.

Musan on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The latest Radio Free Nintendo is pretty good, they have an excellent interview with Nathan Fouts of Mommy's Best Games (Weapon of choice, Grapplebuggy) - starts 49 minutes in. It's a 2D platform and action game lovefest, with some really interesting discussions on level design and player progression.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dalitubadalituba Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In light of the new Star Wars rumors, is there a podcast that might discuss the series up to now, what could work with a new trilogy, and what couldn't? I'd be interested in hearing a group discuss stuff like Lucas' uncredited assistance with the original Trilogy, some of the best and worst outside SW stuff, etc.

Gonzo Gaming (a spin-off of The Digital Cowboys) is going through episodes 1-6 in order right now, the episode 2 podcast came out on the 20th. They go pretty in depth breaking things down, but no idea if they will discuss the "new" movie rumors.

dalituba on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    dalituba wrote: »

Gonzo Gaming (a spin-off of The Digital Cowboys) is going through episodes 1-6 in order right now, the episode 2 podcast came out on the 20th. They go pretty in depth breaking things down, but no idea if they will discuss the "new" movie rumors.

Do they discuss the movies themselves, or get into the internal points, such as the stuff Lucas originally wanted to do, the people who helped him (whether he wanted it or not), things like that?

It's the latter I'd love to hear discussed in a podcast. There's a lot of factoids we're now privy to hearing, but it's a pain to seek them all out.

• Options
    dalitubadalituba Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I would say a little of both. I've only listened to the episode 1 podcast, and alot of that was breaking down why it was not good.

dalituba on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Just e-mailed him now, thanks. Best to make sure they still have my order and whatnot.

I sent him an email too. I got an email back from him saying that I was one of a handful of people whose t-shirt order never actually went through, and they had no way of tracking whose orders didn't go through. Glad I did that!

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yay for emailing Daniel Miesner, then.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited October 2010
    I dunno, maybe I was in a worse mood than I thought, but I found last week's Giant Bombcast a little douchey. The cast seemed a bit more obnoxious this time around, and it was especially dickish the way they kept interrupting their guest speaker (who even sounded frustrated as a result despite laughing along with them).

Also, the way they've written off Castlevania: LoS is just sad. It's one of the best titles this year, and they keep acting like these types of games are a dime a dozen (which is a mistake the average critic would make if they merely glanced at it from a distance. I thought these guys were supposed to be more hardcore informed).

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I dunno, maybe I was in a worse mood than I thought, but I found last week's Giant Bombcast a little douchey. The cast seemed a bit more obnoxious this time around, and it was especially dickish the way they kept interrupting their guest speaker (who even sounded frustrated as a result despite laughing along with them).

Also, the way they've written off Castlevania: LoS is just sad. It's one of the best titles this year, and they keep acting like these types of games are a dime a dozen (which is a mistake the average critic would make if they merely glanced at it from a distance. I thought these guys were supposed to be more hardcore informed).

I am also disappointed in the vested apathy they've displayed toward that game. It doesn't help that they handed it off to Alex Navarro (who technically works for their movie site), who seems to hone in on Jeff's disinterest in the title and magnifies it four times over.

I am, however, really really looking forward to their GOTY discussions. Those big four-hour podcasts are both fascinating and entertaining.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    But they've handed off Kirby's Epic Yarn and Costume Quest to Alex too. He's perfectly capable of reviewing games (and has done a handful for the site along with Vinny and Dave) and that's not to say they've written it off.

Though I don't think we're getting a review of LoS anytime soon. Nor Quantum Theory.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    But really, do you want a Quantum Theory review

Here's a hint:

One star

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I would love someone to man up and review that thing, just to see if the final game was even more of an abortion than the PS3 demo.

Seriously, that thing was balls nasty the moment you booted it up.

LoS should not be ignored like that.

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Games are out. Some things fall away. They didn't review Red Dead Redemption, I don't think Castlevania will be much of a priority either.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lords of Shadow just seems so goddamn bland and uninteresting. Maybe there's something great hidden underneath the blandness and god of war clone-itude, but I can certainly understand their apathy.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are we going to play People Like What I Don't Like 2: It Also Works the Other Way, now?

Frankly, I don't really know what the issue is. I came out of the Quick Look feeling they were far less disinterested in it than I was expecting. If it was the kind of game I was interested in, I would've looked into it after that video.

admanb on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Jeff already said he just wasn't interested in a Castlevania game of that type. It's unfortunate, but understandable that they don't want to spend 18-ish hours on a game that they have no particular interest in.

Handing it off to Alex was a bit shitty. I guess he's as much of a game reviewer as the others, though.

The worst part is that not one of them will get to see that fucking ending. Those guys love their crazy endings, too.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Are any of them even big Castlevania fans? If so, I'd figure one of them would be interested enough to play the game from start to finish.

But I guess that's really a case-by-case basis: some people wouldn't be interested because it's nothing like the other CV games, while others (like me) are immediately attracted to it because it tries something new, giving it a big budget push that has never been done with the series.

Also, excellent production values, boss fights, Patrick Stewart, etc.

I mean, this is why they loved Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, right? It did something new to the SH series, and they even gave it Wii GOTY (something I highly respect them for).

In LoS' case, it kind of feels like they're being mainstream snobs about it.

• Options
    edited October 2010
    But none of them besides Brad played SH:SM.

He had to keep promoting and fighting for it, especially during their end of year wrapup.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited October 2010
    He had to spoil the story, too, to convince them.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Exactly. They were basically like, "Brad, you loved SH:SM. Wii GOTY?"

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited October 2010
    At least they were open to the idea, and I think I remember a couple of them saying they were going to play the game as a result.

With LoS they've apparently been "Castlevania? Pfffft" the moment it was unveiled.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are any of them even big Castlevania fans? If so, I'd figure one of them would be interested enough to play the game from start to finish.

But I guess that's really a case-by-case basis: some people wouldn't be interested because it's nothing like the other CV games, while others (like me) are immediately attracted to it because it tries something new, giving it a big budget push that has never been done with the series.
    I love the setting and visuals, but the gameplay (speaking as a Castlevania fan, and a fan of platformers in general) just doesn't appeal to me. It feels too much like I'm just running down linear corridors and pushing contextual buttons when prompted to get past obstacles; now, I hear the game does change later on, so I do want to get that far, but at the start, speaking for myself, all the game has going for it in the gameplay department is the combat system. And said combat system isn't particularly new.

Glal on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    New Battle BroCast is up.

T4CT on