Options

[Video Game Podcasts] - New 'Out of the Game' is actually.. out?

• Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    8-4 had a really good 3 hour podcast on the NES if you have the time and some tolerance for weaboos.

November Fifth on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It really sucks that Lord of Shadows came out when it did

Because God of War basically took the whole idea of 3D character action combat with a whip-like device and monsters and did it really well

And now Castlevania, a series based on character action combat with a whip-like device and monsters comes to 3D for the first time in a while, and it's actually good, but God of War already did it so everyone's all like "CLEARLY THEY ARE JUST COPYING GOD OF WAR"

Well how could they not? How else would they do 3D combat? Repeat Lament of Innocence? That game sucked

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How about not do a Castlevania game with 3D combat? The series didn't need it any more than it needed a 3D fighter.

But I'm not going to get into that whole debate.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    8-4 had a really good 3 hour podcast on the NES if you have the time and some tolerance for weaboos.

Man, I really, really like 8-4. I guess they are technically weeaboos, but they are not at all obnoxious about their love for Japanese games. It's just so nice to hear from people who work in the games industry without being journalists (even if Mark MacD used to be one), especially when they work so closely with Japanese developers. It's really not something you hear much about. There have already been some great insider stories, and the podcast has barely even started yet.

Edit: It is also the first podcast I've listened to where someone has actually been determined to finish Lords of Shadow.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I traded in Castlevania

I didn't even get past chapter two

I'm sure it's a fine game and all but it really wasn't compelling to me in the least

Supposedly I didn't get to "the good stuff" but, just like FFXIII before it, I shouldn't have to play a game for a long-ass time to get to the good stuff

All of it should be the good stuff, or at least build up a little goodwill if certain later sections are lacking.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    THis week's whiskey media happy hour is free btw.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    THis week's whiskey media happy hour is free btw.

That's how they get ya

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They won't get me till they add in paypal support.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I traded in Castlevania

I didn't even get past chapter two

I'm sure it's a fine game and all but it really wasn't compelling to me in the least

Supposedly I didn't get to "the good stuff" but, just like FFXIII before it, I shouldn't have to play a game for a long-ass time to get to the good stuff

All of it should be the good stuff, or at least build up a little goodwill if certain later sections are lacking.

Castlevania ramps up a lot faster than FFXIII, let's be clear

And I kind of like that it's like twenty hours long. That used to be the standard length of games, back in my day. Now everyone releases games that are like six or eight hours long and I wonder where it all started

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think the inherent problem now is that even though we've developed all these ways to save time, people think they have less time, and thus they want a game experience they can beat in two days.

T4CT on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Or that games are just easier. When was twenty hours the standard game length?

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So RidleySaria got quoted on Weekend Confirmed.....

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BTP wrote: »

Elaborate?

If you put it in text, I won't have to hear Garnett Lee

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    AJR wrote: »
    Or that games are just easier. When was twenty hours the standard game length?

When JRPGs were the equivalent of today's FPSs, I suppose.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    BTP wrote: »

Elaborate?

If you put it in text, I won't have to hear Garnett Lee

Well, I listened to it yesterday, so I don't know where as a timestamp. Something about crouching and innovation atrophy. I'll just listen to it again later and post about it again when I find it.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Who's RidleySaria?

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    finnith wrote: »
    Who's RidleySaria?

A longtime forum regular here.

SteevL on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    halloween episode of Battle BroCast is live

with a new website

http://www.chocobros.com

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Got the RidleySaria quote! Here's how I heard it from Garnett. It starts around the 1:08:20 mark.

"I'm glad somebody is rethinking whether or not games need a crouch function. Not because there's anything wrong with crouching, but because reliable time-tested conventions need to be re-examined from time to time. Failure to do so can result in creative atrophy. With every console iteration, Nintendo is fearlessly trying out new controller concepts, throwing out the reliable designs from last generation in favour of something different. Doesn't always work, but without their bold steps we'd be left with Sony and Microsoft RE-iterating the same Dual Shock control layout over and over, but Nintendo took those risks and it paid off for them."

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Garnett paraphrased a bit. I believe I originally said that Nintendo took those risks and controllers are better off for it. Anyway, it was kind of cool to be quoted.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't know if I would say that

At least concerning this latest generation and the rise of motion controls confounding developers

They were the first ones with an analog stick, though. That was important

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am absolutely in favour of the split controller design the Wii brought in. It is so much more comfortable to not have to have my hands locked together holding a controller. In all honestly it didn't bother me that much, but I like it a lot now and will use it over the classic where suited.

Also as a lefty it lets me swap back and forth if I find a game more comfortable to use with the positions reversed.

Kelor on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gah Gerstman rubs me the wrong way.

They have a quick look of 007 BloodStone and he intentionally plays it in a horrible way to prove a point.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

They have a quick look of 007 BloodStone and he intentionally plays it in a horrible way to prove a point.

It's never intentional

The Giant Bomb guys are just not great at video games

But the points he raises are still valid ones

That game still looks pretty neat to me, though!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I have that Bond game and it is a fun romp if anything. Makes up for lack of a Bond movie this year.

This Bond game though has that detective mode feature but they also put in a garble vision if you use it too much. So of course Gerstman uses it the whole time in the video which makes it look pretty ugly.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have that Bond game and it is a fun romp if anything. Makes up for lack of a Bond movie this year.

This Bond game though has that detective mode feature but they also put in a garble vision if you use it too much. So of course Gerstman uses it the whole time in the video which makes it look pretty ugly.
    Wasn't that his point? That you always want it up because you want that info? It's the same thing as in Batman: AA where people kept Detective Vision up all the time because it was super useful.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That was the point Gerstman was trying to rub in. That mode along with Batman detective mode, Doom 3 flashlight, etc. are meant to add some flavor and used sparingly. Sure you can abuse the fuck out of them but it ruins the atmosphere.

It just seemed that Gerstman got uppity and tried to rub it in the face of the developers rather then hey lets look at this game for 20min.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Everyone and their mother downloaded a mod for Doom 3 that added flashlights to weapons. Maybe the developers intend that shit to be used sparingly, but it's not the way people want to use them, because they're super useful and using them constantly improves your gameplay.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yes. What he said.

I love the running gag of the GB dudes sucking at video games. It's always high-larious.

Also, that Bond game's characters looked like cans of smashed assholes.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

It didn't occur to me until I watched the quick look, but I agree with you. There were some times where he activated the thing where I didn't think it made sense to do so.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That's just how Gerstmann rolls

And he's right, to a point: adding in a view that has all that information with no penalty other than "it looks kinda green" is not the smartest design decision

I had to fight myself to turn off Detective Vision in Arkham Asylum, solely because I felt bad using it. But I shouldn't have to feel bad using it, is the thing

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yes. What he said.

I love the running gag of the GB dudes sucking at video games. It's always high-larious.

Also, that Bond game's characters looked like cans of smashed assholes.

Yeah those character models had awful faces, like whoa

That's the one thing that actively looked bad about the game, though. The rest seemed fine, and the melee takedowns looked pretty awesome

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

And he's right, to a point: adding in a view that has all that information with no penalty other than "it looks kinda green" is not the smartest design decision

I had to fight myself to turn off Detective Vision in Arkham Asylum, solely because I felt bad using it. But I shouldn't have to feel bad using it, is the thing

I always get a bit sad when I hear Gerstman's voice on a quicklook cause I know it won't be fun. The other guys are always a blast or if they have a guest. He isn't the type of person who enjoys games for fun anymore where as Vinny and Ryan do and Brad will love anything if it has achievements.

The Bond vision gets garbled and static if you move too much while using it and I am guessing thats the developers way of trying to limit it. How people fell about that is whatever.

Anyways the game is ok. Auto aim lock on and enemies that actively seek you out so they can be taken down with no effort. Super easy game but fun if you like current Bond era stuff. It doesn't look too hot either even compared to last Bond game.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I played through Batman twice with detective vision on almost constantly :(

aBlank on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I only turned on detective vision when I needed to. I honestly don't think I would have enjoyed the game as much if I kept detective vision on constantly.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I always get a bit sad when I hear Gerstman's voice on a quicklook cause I know it won't be fun. The other guys are always a blast or if they have a guest. He isn't the type of person who enjoys games for fun anymore where as Vinny and Ryan do and Brad will love anything if it has achievements.

The Bond vision gets garbled and static if you move too much while using it and I am guessing thats the developers way of trying to limit it. How people fell about that is whatever.

Anyways the game is ok. Auto aim lock on and enemies that actively seek you out so they can be taken down with no effort. Super easy game but fun if you like current Bond era stuff. It doesn't look too hot either even compared to last Bond game.

I think it's interesting you say that about Jeff. I agree, he does come off as weary a lot of times, but I find it mirrors my own attitude more and more these days. I hate over super excited all my dicks are cumming/this is the worst my childhood was raped why isn't this perfect fuck you talk that permeates nerdism these days. I would rather hear someone who is more jaded than ecstatic. I don't see anywhere close to eye to eye with Jeff, but he does at least seem like a dude who doesn't beat off to whatever hot nerd thing is going on and get excited for it.

Unless it's Mortal Kombat.

Or Ice-T.

For example, I've found their discussions about Fable 3 quite good. It's very much a 3 star, 7-8 point game and they've all pointed out consistently it's flaws and it's facets. I guess this encompasses all the GB crew at this point, but none of them are abjectly slamming the game or blindly praising it. It's a middle of the road game that they are speaking about justly.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    All they needed to do to make using the cellphone all the time not a viable thing is to limit your speed while using it, like how they limit you using weapons in Dead Space.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It does create a pretty funny image though

Bond all taking cover in a firefight

Looking down at his phone

Checkin' twitter

"getin shot at by ruskies AGAIN... work sucks"

Pop up, shoot some dudes

Duck back down, check twitter

Received a direct message from Q

"dont let them shoot the car"

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    marbokov: @bond hahahahahahahaha

admanb on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't agree with the whole detective vision debacle. I mean, yes, you can say there's a dichotomy there, but is it really that big of a deal? I turned it off when I didn't want to use it, and I turned it on when I did. Does it really bring about some sort of internal conflict for some?

Cherrn on