As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Allods Online] OB ON! We went League on Tensess.

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Im a little surprised that a free to play game is prettier than really any other MMO apart from perhaps Aion. And thats not really better, its more just a style difference.

I have played both games and if you think Aion is not better and just a style difference you have never played Aion and seen it in motion. The games are not even remotely comparable graphically, Aion stands a full league above Allods in terms of graphics (when Aion is run at full settings vs Allods at full settings.).

Though Allods definitely looks great for a free MMO.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Im a little surprised that a free to play game is prettier than really any other MMO apart from perhaps Aion. And thats not really better, its more just a style difference.

I have played both games and if you think Aion is not better and just a style difference you have never played Aion and seen it in motion. The games are not even remotely comparable graphically, Aion stands a full league above Allods in terms of graphics (when Aion is run at full settings vs Allods at full settings.).

Though Allods definitely looks great for a free MMO.

I was more talking about that indefinable quality called 'art' and not necessarily graphical prowess.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    NishuNishu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    FYI Server 2 has been a veritable trainwreck of server stability the past day or so, highly recommend that any PA folks trying to start in on this check out Server 1 for now. The lag on 2 is almost comical at this point.

Nishu on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I like Aion's environments, but like Allods' character design far better; where Aion is generic asiatic this game gives us Soviet paladins whose helmets look like commissar hats, undead cyborgs and Gibberlings.

Glal on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so currently downloading the client , got about 500 meg left, should be up and running by some time this afternoon.
    I'll be starting on server 1, since it sounds like server 2 is not a good idea right now.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    cowmeetcowmeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Downloading the client now, game looks interesting enough to try for a few days.

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png
  • Options
    LostLost Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm level 13 now and I have to say: I really like this grid system of skills. You don't get to start messing with the grid until level 10 but I am enjoying thinking about which paths I can take to build the character to my play style. It's pretty cool.

Lost on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    level 4 now, just doing all the inital quests for my gibberling trickster, the lack of auto attack is dis heartening, but i suppose plenty of games have gone this rout. Combat sems a bit slow but that could be me not having the best equipment.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Draeven wrote: »
    level 4 now, just doing all the inital quests for my gibberling trickster, the lack of auto attack is dis heartening, but i suppose plenty of games have gone this rout. Combat sems a bit slow but that could be me not having the best equipment.

They also slowed down the combat for the closed beta from what I hear. So people can't level as quickly and to diagnose bugs from what I hear.

Lost on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ahhh, thast cool. I wasn't saying it was boring. Just slow.

Draeven on

• Options
    NishuNishu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The auto-attack thing is apparently something they're discussing, so I've read. The game heavily focuses on almost never just physically attacking (i.e. skill spam) so I can see how that would work, but it's something that's going to be awkward to get used to for a lot of players, so I imagine they'll add auto-attack for the sake of flow.

There's a lot of things in flux at the moment, which is a good sign... I hope :P

Nishu on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Anyone else having lag issues in game? Past few days have had some pretty horrendous lag. I was chalking it up to influx of new players.

Not complaining mind you, just wondering if i'm alone in this.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I get lag only in the cities for some reason. Makes it playing empire side really difficult. My lag is weird though. I get this stuttering lag where it hangs for a second and then runs fine for 3 seconds then hangs for 1 second...repeat for duration of stay in the city.

I thinking this may be a Windows 7 issue since the machine I play on is a beast.

In other news I hit level 12 on my PSI and Psychic Shock hit for 49 damage a tick. Nice!

ben_bot on
    PSN: ben_bot
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just started playing this. Its.... not bad? Its worth every penny I'm not spending on it, certainly. Some of the chat features are lacking, and the combat pace, of course, is somewhat annoying. I've started an Empire summoner and League Paladin, and so far its certainly not utterly unpleasant. I have yet to get far into the game, so I can't say for sure. It sure is polished though.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm up to level 19 on my League Pali.
    The combat speed really picks up once you have some more skills.
    Also the grid system is still awesome.

Lost on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i didn't know abotu the grid system untell i really looked at my skill system and was all ..holy crap whats behind these tabs.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    The grid system is the talent trees of WoW. The talent trees are the skill trainers. Kinda weird, but once you figure that out, it makes coping with it easier :P

ben_bot on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think my only issue with the grid system is having to buy rubies to get the skill up.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    I think my only issue with the grid system is having to buy rubies to get the skill up.

At least you don't have to buy new skills. It's a trade off I guess. I actually wish they handed out skills from trainers. Oh well!

ben_bot on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Someone informed me last night that the talents only go up to rank3, so that alleviates some of my concern about how point starved I was going to be.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    the only issue is if you want to respec you need to head to the cashshop.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    For the closed betas the GMs are putting waters of life/death in the AH every hour for 1c.

Lost on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I like these GMs.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    ExeciutusExeciutus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i played it, but i don't really think it is that good. far to slow for my tast ;)

Execiutus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Lost wrote: »
    For the closed betas the GMs are putting waters of life/death in the AH every hour for 1c.

Invariably, some douche cannon rushes in there, buys them all out, and relists them for 15 gold.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes, i see that now. This can not stand man.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    I managed to a stack of each and have about 8 left.
    I'd be willing to part with some if someone needs one. Just add Remix as a friend League side.

Lost on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Actually, I dont even know what they are :P

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    they let you re set you stats or your skills. Life is stats, death is skills. So in the live game you will actualy have to pay for these with real money. Same with bags.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    they let you re set you stats or your skills. Life is stats, death is skills. So in the live game you will actualy have to pay for these with real money. Same with bags.

You can get bags from ingame quests; even now in the beta.
    There is one quest that takes forever to do that gets you a 24 slot bag and another that increases the size of your bank. I haven't done either of the quests yet, but I haven't be angry enough with how much I hold to be bothered.

Lost on
  • Options
    scott_g777scott_g777 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So far this game is great. I like the F2P model, since I don't "have" to pay for it.

scott_g777 on
    steam_sig.png
    Unless a seed falls to the ground and dies, it can not truly live.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I suppose if you can budget yourself to an investment of $5-10 real dollars per month in this game, you're still coming out ahead of most $10-15/month subscription based games *coughwowcough*.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Closed beta 4 starts Tuesday. All Closed Beta 3 keys are valid for beta 4. There was a character wipe. I'm interested to see if they've rebalanced combat yet.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm into this game, I made an Arisen Healer. I'm on the Euro server though, and I get the feeling I might be the only one here, if not, let's hook up!

I was looking to play an MMO and was eyeing the WoW demo but if this is F2P...

Btw, are chars going to get whiped after this Beta? I know it's beta but re-grinding doesn't sound cool.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    oh, chracters will get wiped for release. I mean its just a beta.

Draeven on

• Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No suprise there then.
    Although I do remember when in Dragonica, characters from the last beta didn't get whiped for release.

Not sure this question has come up or not, but do any of you guys intend to keep playing this game, given the experience you've had so far?

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think that characters from the open beta later on will be retained for "retail" release.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    *key used*

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I went ahead and took the key Badwrong. Figure I might as well give it a look at least.

Transporter on
  • Options
    palppalp Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It is unfortunate that the combat does start off so slowly, and that the stats allocation can really make or break the combat, but once you get past level 10 and get some half-decent gear the combat speed picks up to the point where you can one-shot mobs.

It does play a lot like Wow, in the beginning... except for when you face your first raid-requiring mob at level 6... and then at level 8 and 9 and 10... it's an interesting game with an interesting crafting system and a very different feel to it once you get past the initial WoWness (if you're a WoW player that is.)

It's often group oriented, though there are plenty of solo quests and none of the group ones (up to about level 25 at least) are really required. They just give nice gear/xp/rep.

One thing that makes it different is the factional PvP that starts at about level 24, when you enter the Holy Lands. It's a factor from then on out from what I can tell. This is exciting for some people, a turn-off for others, but the sense of community fostered by it, on the CB at least, is wonderful.

There are instances and raids and yes... they are mainly tank and spank, as of yet, but things may change? For me, if I wanted raids, I'd be playing WoW.

THE thing that truly separates this game from any other MMO is the endgame Astral Ship combat, and they way that they have created a compelling way to have naval combat in an MMO while retaining control of your actual avatar at all times.

You should check out the Astral combat videos at Massively.com or at keenandgraevs.com

TL;DR

Allods is better than the first 10 levels would have you think, and you should check out the videos of the endgame content at keenandgraevs.com and/or massively.com

palp on