As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A [chat]hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm trying to decide if William Hanna and Joseph Barbera saved cartoons by making them cheap and fun when popularity and budgets were declining or ruined them by bastardizing a beautiful artform and causing what was basically a dark age of animation from the 60s to the 80s.

Someone with a strong opinion, make your case.

Too much of their shit was just blatantly racist. The rest was good times. The good and the bad balance out.

Ehhhh...

I mean, I'm a huge Scooby-Doo fan, but so much of their stuff was a recycling of their previous work. I'm not sure the good balanced the bad, especially given how poorly some of it has aged.

In their favor, though, is the fact that they created 2 of the most well known animated sitcoms, The Jetsons and The Flintstones.

Still, some of their stuff is still a lot of fun. I still enjoy Wacky Races, for example.

Saying that the good balanced the bad is probably pretty accurate.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    (630): just threw the rents a curveball by making french toast and bacon when i came home sober. good luck tellin when im high/drunk now.

:^:

Eevee was one of my fav Pokemon because I always always always had one of the evolutions in my final line up.

Vaporeon seemed to be the best.

Vaporeon rules.

I seem to remember the Dark evolution being pretty good. Either in the game, or in the card game. Can't remember.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Am I the only person who gets really bummed out when Family Guy comes on? Especially after two fantastic episodes of King of the Hill.

King of the Hill can be pretty bland and repetitive. How many episodes can you make out of Hank and Bobby trying to connect, finding something in common, having a brief touching moment, then going back exactly the way things were before the episode?

But no, you're not the only one with Family Guy. I get especially bummed when old episodes come on. Because as a show, it hasn't aged particularly well, but the third season still sparkles in a way that has been lost and replaced by something abhorrent.

EDIT: Futurama has aged the best. It's not all topical humor and it is fantastically preserved. I love Futurama.

I'd say not a lot? The last two eps I just watched had no real Hank and Bobby moment. Especially not in the later seasons.

Keep in mind the show really was about a dude trying to keep a hold of his friends and family.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Staxeon wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Staxeon wrote: »
    Great, now I have to buy honey this weekend :)

What area are you in?

Buffalo, NY. Apparently my options are little and none. Theres a country/specialty store that I go to that might have some, I'm going to check Friday or Saturday.

Here's a list of honey producers in New York city. I don't know which ones are close to you or not.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Alecthar wrote: »
    (630): just threw the rents a curveball by making french toast and bacon when i came home sober. good luck tellin when im high/drunk now.

Eevee was one of my fav Pokemon because I always always always had one of the evolutions in my final line up.

Vaporeon rules.

I seem to remember the Dark evolution being pretty good. Either in the game, or in the card game. Can't remember.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

There are 151 pokemon.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Quid is now passing out from tequila.
    Should we be worried?

I mean, I won't be either way, but I'd at least like to know if I should be.

No worries.

Passer: I need to find where the hell he put the receipt from the post office but it was not expensive. As soon as I find it, I'll let you know. He's too drunk to tell me.

I just caught up on D&D Adventures.

Oh. My. God.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Revisionist nonsense. The new pokemon games are great and if you can't deal with it ignorance will not save you.

Also, my buddy has been using livestream while playing kaiso mario and HoN - I should think to drop a link to his channel when he is streaming so you can hear the few of us in Vent swearing like teenagers while he blasts bad music and fails.

Then again, someone would have to be really, really bored to enjoy such things.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Vaporeon rules.

Umbreon was badass, and one of my favourites.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Vaporeon rules.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

There are 151 pokemon.

For me there are at least 250. I really dug Gold and Silver.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've started to give up sleep for all my exams.
    I pretty much live on caffeine and I steal naps where ever I can.
    ):

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    American Apparel ads are ridiculous? Why do they always find me?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yessss. New Angry Video Game Nerd

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't even get why there is a desperate need to pretend there are no new Pokemon. I mean yes, I loved Pokemon best when it was new. This is because I was about 10 years old. But the new Pokemon, with some exceptions (as was the case with the original 151) have plenty to offer.

Except Bidoof. Fuck Bidoof.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm trying to decide if William Hanna and Joseph Barbera saved cartoons by making them cheap and fun when popularity and budgets were declining or ruined them by bastardizing a beautiful artform and causing what was basically a dark age of animation from the 60s to the 80s.

Too much of their shit was just blatantly racist. The rest was good times. The good and the bad balance out.

Racist? I have no idea what you're talking about.

snagglepuss.jpg

He justa aska your hon-or-ah-ble pardon puh-reeze.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I stopped playing Pokemon after red blue and yellow.

So the rest of them really are absolutely foreign to me. Then I went back and gave the series a look and it was all super cute and full of devolving into extra cute so I said "no thx"

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

snagglepuss.jpg

This is interesting because there's a big line between absolute and true racism and social norms. I guess this is a situation where intent becomes pretty important.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

snagglepuss.jpg

Haha he put his hands in his cuffs.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

So the rest of them really are absolutely foreign to me. Then I went back and gave the series a look and it was all super cute and full of devolving into extra cute so I said "no thx"

I don't play a game for its visual style, I play it for its gameplay.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The increased cuteness of Pokemon is due to the fact that the graphics are no longer monochrome.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Eevee!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Agreed, though I'm a little intimidated by how ridiculously involved Pokemon breeding and leveling seems to have become.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The new Pokemon games are great. But I've played from the days of Red/Blue all the way up.

Let's see. I've played on both Red and Blue, own Yellow. Played Gold, Silver, and Crystal. What was after that, Ruby and Sapphire? I own Sapphire. Haven't played Emerald. Then came Leaf Green and Fire Red (I own Leaf Green), a modern version of the original games that any "original" fan should love. Diamond and Pearl (later Platinum) came out on DS a couple years ago, with wireless and some online functionality, which was pretty sweet. I have Diamond, I plan to buy my girl one of those lime DS lites with Platinum.

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Mori, gotta say, you've lost a lot of your old bite with the new avatar.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    And while there are "super cute" pokemon around, there are also some pretty vicious ones.

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Agreed, though I'm a little intimidated by how ridiculously involved Pokemon breeding and leveling seems to have become.

Well, the lore doesn't necessarily expand much with every game - so the shift in metagame beomes IVs and EVs and other things like that. It's adding more dimensions to strategy. The stats are different than they were in R/B/Y, the types are different, the way you raise a team is different, etc. The game is just expanding. It's good for a series to see such progress. Every game has a pretty similar 'trek' through the main story leading to the kind of sandbox ending and it's still enjoyable to go through it every time minus the dicks on the E4 for the most part.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    James wrote: »
    And while there are "super cute" pokemon around, there are also some pretty vicious ones.

Scizor was badass. Dude had metal claws and just didn't give a fuck.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Scizor was badass. Dude had metal claws and just didn't give a fuck.

One of my favorite pokemon.

And he was useless. But you know what

I tore shit up with him, Sandslash, and Vaporeon.

Water ninja, Desert assassin man, and green metal psychopath. it's hard to find that these days.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Mori, gotta say, you've lost a lot of your old bite with the new avatar.

I don't know what you're talking about. Want a hug?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Well, the lore doesn't necessarily expand much with every game - so the shift in metagame beomes IVs and EVs and other things like that. It's adding more dimensions to strategy. The stats are different than they were in R/B/Y, the types are different, the way you raise a team is different, etc. The game is just expanding. It's good for a series to see such progress. Every game has a pretty similar 'trek' through the main story leading to the kind of sandbox ending and it's still enjoyable to go through it every time minus the dicks on the E4 for the most part.

I agree that it's good for the series to evolve, but the IV/EV stuff seems tough to control, and it doesn't seem like a very transparent gameplay element. Added complexity doesn't bother me, as long as there is enough transparency about the mechanics for me to understand what I need to do.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The increased cuteness of Pokemon is due to the fact that the graphics are no longer monochrome.

You can't honestly say the only reason this isn't cute is because it's in 4 shades of gray.

Pokemon-Red%26Blue.png

Pokémon got cute because it was more popular that way.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I know the actor who plays the doctor in this from somewhere! Does anyone know who he is?

Phil G. on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I didn't start playing Pokemon until.. ermn...

Fire? Or was it Ruby?

The one where you could have a secret hide out and plant berries everywhere.

I think I was 18 or 19, so around 2003-ish.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Fire? Or was it Ruby?

I think you could do that in both games, couldn't you?

You definitely could in Ruby/Sapphire, and those were older.

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Spr_1b_025.png

Yeah, it got way too hardxxcorexx

Spr_2g_025.png

Then it got all crazy

Spr_3r_025.png

Sho has changed.

Spr_4d_025_m.png

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Phil G. wrote: »
    I know the actor who plays the doctor in this from somewhere! Does anyone know who he is?

Those puppies were adorable.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hells yeah. My diamond lineup always had Scizor, Vaporeon, and Gallade.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Phil G. wrote: »

He's the patriarch of the Cullen family in the actual Twilight movies. He's also on Nurse Jackie, was on Six Feet Under, and was Jennifer Love Hewitt's douchey ex-boyfriend who broke up with her at graduation in the movie Can't Hardly Wait.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I had a Raichu in my team in D/P.

He was a ridiulous special sweeper

026.png

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Fire? Or was it Ruby?

I think you could do that in both games, couldn't you?

You definitely could in Ruby/Sapphire, and those were older.

I started playing around 2003 when I bought my GBA. I think it was either Leaf, or Fire, or Ruby. Something like that. I think I have a Pokemon something for my DS too, but I'm not going to go look 'cause then I'll play it again and the world will end.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    But yes, the lime green ds is awesome. I wish it was around when I bought one.

nintendo-ds-green.jpg

James on
This discussion has been closed.